What to do about Royal Guard

Prev13456
Psi
50 posts Member
With new protection stat, Royal Guard is almost invincible. I have to target him first because of his auto taunt, but he takes 2/3 rounds to kill by which time I'm dead.

All the top 5 in arena on my server are running RG plus Rey and 86. Unless you run a similar team I see no way to win. Anyone?

Replies

• Baal
    602 posts Member
    Options
    You're doing it wrong on multiple levels.
  • Options
    RG will turn out to be the next Dooku. Either people will want him nerfed (because he is just stupid overpowered), or there will be the people who run him in their teams and call you a noob for suggesting he is overpowered.

I run a droid team which puts out incredible damage and RG still just takes a couple rounds to kill even with everyone focusing on him. Every single competitive team will have him on it until they do something about him.

His health/protection pool needs a sizable nerf. ~25% imo.
  • Options
    Baal wrote: »
    You're doing it wrong on multiple levels.

That's a useless comment. Maybe give him some suggestions??
  • Psi
    50 posts Member
    Options
    @chuckwing - I've also tried running droids against him (7 star) and as you say he take 2 rounds minimum to kill. I tried Teebo since he can remove the taunt, but he taunts again immediately and Teebo takes 4 turns to remove again, so that didn't work. I have had some success using counter attackers: Fives and Dooku - at least you are hitting back while you focus on RG. I still lose to teams like RG, Rey, QGJ, 86, Poggle, but it's closer.

I guess I'll have to start farming RG :/

@Baal - would you mind expanding?
  • Options
    The best way I've found is to counter it with your own RG. Try two tanks - I'm loving RG and Poe together. Not lost with those two together yet
    Dc - RoF
  • Options
    @Dcmone1 Just like Dooku and the people who used to say "The best counter to Dooku is running Dooku yourself", that is not a way to balance a game. That is how you force people to use the same characters which is what ruins the game. You are right though, RG is the best way to fight RG.
  • Options
    @Psi if you are running a droid team you can actually kill a glass character while not triggering RG's taunt. The trick is to hit, Rey for example, down to around 60-80% health and finish her off with an assist attack while on offense up (and hope they aren't running Dooku lead and dodge).
  • Options
    I'm running RG and ST Han and i really like it.
    RG is just good tank, so instead of whining "nerf nerf nerf " use him by yourself or focus him first or stun him.
    He's not OP just wait till lvl80 when a lot of chars do more dmg cause of there abilities. He will go down much faster then.
  • Options
    Agree completely! But just letting you know what's working for me :smile: mine is only 5* and does the job against 7*.
    I also try my best to get opponent Rey/QGJ/GS etc to about 3/4 health and no more. If my next attack is likely to push them below 1/2 health I target someone else and wait for a lower dmg attack. Then use Rey/86/GS to finish them off. As long as I have Poe taunting then this extra time of evening out attacks doesn't seem to matter
    I've pulled myself out of the 'kill one or two enemies as quick as possible' mind frame
    Dc - RoF
  • Options
    Well a 5* Rey just one shot my 6* royal guard so I'm pretty sure that's exactly why he's hard to kill because bull like this still exists.
  • Options
    Psi wrote: »
    With new protection stat, Royal Guard is almost invincible. I have to target him first because of his auto taunt, but he takes 2/3 rounds to kill by which time I'm dead.

All the top 5 in arena on my server are running RG plus Rey and 86. Unless you run a similar team I see no way to win. Anyone?

@Psi Im in an old server, rank 1 every day and I can tell you everyone has RG. Its totally beatable. You are just doing it wrong.
    Bad game management here
  • Options
    Revenant wrote: »
    Well a 5* Rey just one shot my 6* royal guard so I'm pretty sure that's exactly why he's hard to kill because bull like this still exists.

One shot a 6* max gear RG? Nearly 40k health? Are you serious Rey did that amount of dmg? Not in this World :-D
  • Options

Slight exaggeration? My 5* doesn't have the precraft or 50x stun gun gear and has over 26k health inc. protection. Not seen anyone hit that before. Maybe with 86 + 88 assist pre-update
    Dc - RoF
  • Options

Impossible
  • Options
    The way I see it there's two main strategys.

-Stun/ability block opponents DPS toons while using your DPS toons to try to take out RG with kitchen sink.

-Targetting opponents other toons and then attempting to dispel/otherwise get around RG's taunt.

Not sure what is best, but I think you've got to pick and then go all-in with that.

I'm leaning towards the second. The precrafters Gear IX RG just has too many HPs.

I've been running RG/Daka/QGJ(lead)/GS/Lumi

I try to time a QGJ or GS assist attack as being the one that takes opponents toon under the 50% health. This hasn't done me much good thus far, I haven't taken many toons out like this, tends to fall just short.

Tomorrow I'm going to swap out Lumi and put in Assaj (and giving her the lead)

She has a dispel - so it won't be all on QGJ to get rid of RG's taunt.
    She has an AoE - in the above (very common) scenario where I haven't quite killed opponents toon before RG taunts - I can maybe do so with the AoE.

She's very slow, but her as lead will make that tolerable (she gives Nightsisters speed)
    This will take away from my QGJ speed, but give speed to Daka.

If it even half works, Assaj will probably get some of my Omega mats next week.

• RU486
    1686 posts Member
    Options
    Plenty of dispellers out there, he's not a problem if you L2P
  • Options
    Dcmone1 wrote: »

Slight exaggeration? My 5* doesn't have the precraft or 50x stun gun gear and has over 26k health inc. protection. Not seen anyone hit that before. Maybe with 86 + 88 assist pre-update

He had offense up because of Dooku leadership, my RG had taunted and RG went from 100% health to 0%. I have no idea how much was left on my protection bar but I'd guess around 30%. My RG is 73, with all gear except two of the pieces to finish out gear 8. He sits around 16678 health.
  • Options
    Ok 16k is doable to onehit. My 6*RG has 38k with prot. and that's impossible to ohko
  • Apoc
    172 posts Member
    Options
    chuckwing wrote: »
    RG will turn out to be the next Dooku. Either people will want him nerfed (because he is just stupid overpowered), or there will be the people who run him in their teams and call you a noob for suggesting he is overpowered.

I run a droid team which puts out incredible damage and RG still just takes a couple rounds to kill even with everyone focusing on him. Every single competitive team will have him on it until they do something about him.

His health/protection pool needs a sizable nerf. ~25% imo.

He's a tank... He shouldn't go down in 1 round. Also, I've never had a problem against him. He's a tad bit annoying, but for those who say he's Op. Are just not using their characters or setting up their teams right. Instead of people complaining. They need to think about counter measures. Such as QGJ who can just remove taunt.
  • Options
    chuckwing wrote: »
    He's a tank... He shouldn't go down in 1 round.

+1
  • bbmiLo
    378 posts Member
    Options
    I also try my best to get opponent Rey/QGJ/GS etc to about 3/4 health and no more. If my next attack is likely to push them below 1/2 health I target someone else and wait for a lower dmg attack.

while you are waiting, GS+1, QGJ+1, rey's hard hit then gain foresignt, all gonna happen. lol.
  • Options
    bbmiLo wrote: »
    I also try my best to get opponent Rey/QGJ/GS etc to about 3/4 health and no more. If my next attack is likely to push them below 1/2 health I target someone else and wait for a lower dmg attack.

while you are waiting, GS+1, QGJ+1, rey's hard hit then gain foresignt, all gonna happen. lol.

Yeah, but it's not made me lose yet. I'd rather them go off and still be able to kill at least one of them before RG taunts.
    Dc - RoF
  • Options
    Fighting RG is tough, but not impossible.

Since you control the taunts, basically just don't attack anyone unless you can finish them off.
    For example - You hit Rey first, her protection is gone. I wait until my 86 is ready so I can 1 shot her. Lumi and Sid will attack other people waiting for 86.

Of course this isn't fool proof, but if you can control his taunt just until you take out a heavy hitter you should be ok, especially if you have QGJ waiting to take out his first taunt.

Of course you should have RG on your team as well. He is that **** good.
  • Jetlife
    1367 posts Member
    Options
    I've yet to lose to an RG team post update. A few people can counter him. Either JKA, QGJ , ventriss. If you have aoe team with bobba/phasma/Lando just single target everybody's protection to nothin and a bit more than blast your aoes. G2G
  • Jaxs
    49 posts Member
    Options
    I have a 4* RG 40/65 until 5*. I am level 74. 3 more levels and I'll be able to unlock stage 7 Cantina and farm RG. I can't wait. Im currently working on his Abilities so far I have him at gear 8 and his abilities at 6-4-3
  • Options
    The main problem with RG is the seemingly infinite taunt. You'll get enemy healer down to half, you dispel taunt, enemy heals, you get healer down to half again, RG taunts again, your dispel is on cooldown and you're screwed. This seems bugged, and many have suggested his passive taunt should have a cooldown.

One way to deal with this is to mitigate healers with Ability block/Heal Immunity so that enemies don't go above and below 50 percent to trigger the taunt multiple times. Once a toon is below, kill them before a healer can heal, then on to the next, rinse, repeat.

Another way is to use a heavy AoE squad to ignore taunts all together.

I've used a mix of both with varying success.
  • LordRath
    1032 posts Member
    Options
    Both QGJ and Mace can dispel taunt. RG isn't all that hard to get around. Stun, ability blocks are all your friends
  • Options
    Glad this thread turned into a strategy thread instead of continuing like the OP wanted with cries for a nerf. Crying for nerfs gets you Barris. Don't do that to RG. Besides. They JUST buffed him
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    It's very hard to with slow toons like the droids but if you bring Geo plus another fast toon to go along with your 86 then you have a chance. Also stuns if you have them. Like others have said you bring someone down to 60-70% health then use an assist toon to take them out. Use your stuns on the other DPS in the meanwhile to lessen the damage you take. Also a dispel skill is great in case you get a critical hit and accidentally take a toon to below 50%. The game really has become more about strategy than just point and click, even if you have the best toons you can't just unload your specials and win the game turn one.

The devs did exactly what we asked them to do, the only problem was Jesse mentioned that slower toons would do more damage and that has people outraged because it didn't really happen.
  • Citoak
    49 posts Member
    Options
    4/16 patch no notes says qui qgj will only dispell on ai or auto now...ugh