What to do about Royal Guard

Replies

• Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    I think @Zekex made a very nice summary of my own thoughts on that trio. The triple layers of RNG make it an extremely resilient combo. Dooku is also a balanced character, with at least some offensive power as well. It's hard to find another combo that is as versatile, at least as long as there are so many broken skills.

A decent alternative is turn meter manipulation, but ever since the update I find my Clone team less viable than before. It just can't dish out enough damage to match the tankiness of RG. If Plo Koon had enough potency to reliably dispel Taunt every round, it would be more doable. But for now, I feel that the update reinforced the current meta rather than changing it. My top 10 is even more extremely streamlined around the Trio than it was before, and none of my other teams are able to compete with it anymore.

I'm still working on other team ideas to see if there's a way around the Dooku/Daka/RG combo, but for now it looks kinda bleak.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    @Zekex QGJ as leader is unusable to me post-update, have no idea how others do it! I took my chance and let Dooku go first. But yea, even though fortitude calmed Dooku a bit, in a game where you have IG-100's and 7*RG and CT 5s, i have no idea why his leadership still exists! The devs must think Dooku is so bad that he needs to dodge somehow!
  • Bradford30080
    404 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Homish wrote: »
    The way I see it there's two main strategys.

-Stun/ability block opponents DPS toons while using your DPS toons to try to take out RG with kitchen sink.

-Targetting opponents other toons and then attempting to dispel/otherwise get around RG's taunt.

Not sure what is best, but I think you've got to pick and then go all-in with that.

I'm leaning towards the second. The precrafters Gear IX RG just has too many HPs.

I've been running RG/Daka/QGJ(lead)/GS/Lumi

I try to time a QGJ or GS assist attack as being the one that takes opponents toon under the 50% health. This hasn't done me much good thus far, I haven't taken many toons out like this, tends to fall just short.

Tomorrow I'm going to swap out Lumi and put in Assaj (and giving her the lead)

She has a dispel - so it won't be all on QGJ to get rid of RG's taunt.
    She has an AoE - in the above (very common) scenario where I haven't quite killed opponents toon before RG taunts - I can maybe do so with the AoE.

She's very slow, but her as lead will make that tolerable (she gives Nightsisters speed)
    This will take away from my QGJ speed, but give speed to Daka.

If it even half works, Assaj will probably get some of my Omega mats next week.

Right so everybody knows this strategy and no dice unless you have supermaxed characters which is nice for the future i suppose. So rg will be op for 3-5 months at least and people that farmed him deserve it but.... It seems like you should be able to stay competitive with your current teams using thought and consideration ( everybody cries inexperience or strategy here) however when the only strategy is spend 300 bucks or wait 5 months then we are not really being strategic are we:). The dispellers are a joke and you will find asajj pretty useless against him for several reasons including the nerfed aoe and the very low chance her dispell will work against rg. Good luck but im guessing 1/3 dispell, then removing her buffs will help you win 1/10 times against him

• Tiggerz
    62 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm not what I really consider competitive in this game. I've been happy to sit in the mid to low 50-100 range; sometimes I hit the 20s. But on a lark, after reading all the, well,we'll call it anger over the recent updates I decided it was time to spend some crystals today (50 total) tearing into the ladder on my shard.

I'm currently ranked #6 in my ladder after 10 attacks today. I went through more than a few Dooku/RC teams to get there. Running QGJ, Lumi, Sid, Ani, and Han Slowlo. I could just as easily have taken out Sid but I found that pairing his Aoe with Ani's rips the opposition's shields apart, so he's stayed.

I still have one more attack to go, and we'll see what happens, but RG is only a pain if you let him do what he does. None of the RG teams are bringing healers, except the occasional Daka. And she doesn't heal, she casts her heal as a revive...if you don't ability block her.

I'm not trying to say I'm hot stuff. Far from it; thats why I mention my previous ranks at the start. But its been pretty easy to take these teams down with some focus fire and a mix of AoE.
  • Options

Tiggerz wrote: »
    I'm not what I really consider competitive in this game. I've been happy to sit in the mid to low 50-100 range; sometimes I hit the 20s. But on a lark, after reading all the, well,we'll call it anger over the recent updates I decided it was time to spend some crystals today (50 total) tearing into the ladder on my shard.

I'm currently ranked #6 in my ladder after 10 attacks today. I went through more than a few Dooku/RC teams to get there. Running QGJ, Lumi, Sid, Ani, and Han Slowlo. I could just as easily have taken out Sid but I found that pairing his Aoe with Ani's rips the opposition's shields apart, so he's stayed.

I still have one more attack to go, and we'll see what happens, but RG is only a pain if you let him do what he does. None of the RG teams are bringing healers, except the occasional Daka. And she doesn't heal, she casts her heal as a revive...if you don't ability block her.

I'm not trying to say I'm hot stuff. Far from it; thats why I mention my previous ranks at the start. But its been pretty easy to take these teams down with some focus fire and a mix of AoE.

Im thinking you are good at playing combined with an excellent multi team roster which means my only strategy is to spend money or wait 6 months. Great kung fu from a 90 pound kid doesnt kill weak kung fu from a 300 pound beast
  • Options

Im thinking you are good at playing combined with an excellent multi team roster which means my only strategy is to spend money or wait 6 months. Great kung fu from a 90 pound kid doesnt kill weak kung fu from a 300 pound beast
    TYVM, I consider such an analogy a complement. me? 90 pounds??? :blush:

I beat the level 3 player but he must not have liked that because he knocked me right back down in less than an hour. While I did screen shot that (yes, I felt proud :wink: ) I'm not going to spend more shards again, and I'll go back to piddling in GW. that and the top 3 are 75, 76 and level 77 respectively. How they do that???

I've always thought I had a decent team going mostly Jedi but people are all talking about how Sid now sucks, Ani never worked and I'm apparently wasting my time going after Yoda (which i am going to happily waste my time to get. He'll be replacing Sid if the non-healer meta persists).

I just wanted to say that if I can get up there, Gawds above, anyone can.
  • Options

TYVM, I consider such an analogy a complement. me? 90 pounds??? :blush:

I beat the level 3 player but he must not have liked that because he knocked me right back down in less than an hour. While I did screen shot that (yes, I felt proud :wink: ) I'm not going to spend more shards again, and I'll go back to piddling in GW. that and the top 3 are 75, 76 and level 77 respectively. How they do that???

I've always thought I had a decent team going mostly Jedi but people are all talking about how Sid now sucks, Ani never worked and I'm apparently wasting my time going after Yoda (which i am going to happily waste my time to get. He'll be replacing Sid if the non-healer meta persists).

I just wanted to say that if I can get up there, Gawds above, anyone can.

Yeah. Slowlow (90lbs) rg = beast. Im just saying most peoples idea of strategy is bunk on a maxed rg. Thasts cool, i just laugh when people claim that others are having trouble against rg because they dont use good strategy.
  • Apoc
    172 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah. Slowlow (90lbs) rg = beast. Im just saying most peoples idea of strategy is bunk on a maxed rg. Thasts cool, i just laugh when people claim that others are having trouble against rg because they dont use good strategy.

I completely agree. I've used RG, and not used him. He's definitely a challenge sometimes, but not game breaking. If you can't beat him. Then change things up and use a different strategy. I switched things up and have had no problems taking him out.
  • Options
    Have no problem beating a G8 RG. But G9 trips me up. He's not OP, it's just that being on the short end of the precrafting debacle has left me at a massive disadvantage. Once the gear becomes available to everyone, a G9 RG will be just an annoyance.
  • Options
    Right now I'm running dooku, daka, GS, Rey, and Han.

Rey and GS target Royal guard..dooku targets Jedi...daka targets other dps or qgj if dooku didn't stun him cause qgj is main worry vs my hans taunt. And after han taunts he targets dooku just cause he can.

Works nearly every time.

I've found this to be the most consistent and reliable way to beat a high level RG. However, if the opposing team isn't running any Jedi then I usually sub in QGJ and try to target down their dos toons and dispel RG's taunts.
  • Options
    Loving my gear 9 RG. And gear 9 Daka. And gear 9 QGJ, for that matter. Glad I waste my time reading these forums.
  • Options
    Apoc wrote: »

I completely agree. I've used RG, and not used him. He's definitely a challenge sometimes, but not game breaking. If you can't beat him. Then change things up and use a different strategy. I switched things up and have had no problems taking him out.

Ha. I dont have the squad. Im farming han now. I cant even get through 8a hard.
  • Options
    Ugnaught can beat him
    Guild - Darkside Knights
  • Options
    Apoc wrote: »

Or cry on the forums and hope the devs put a baba in your mouth by nerfing him. I swear...people just need to learn how to beat certain toons. You see a RG, bring a dispel.
  • Options
    This isn't the only game where a grp has to fight another grp. Many games like his, my fav strategy; incapacitate the biggest threat, heals, dmg whatever. Run a versatile team, if I can't deal with someone's crew before I get pulled away from my victim, I ruin the tank first.
  • Options
    You counter RG with your own tank. Once he taunts, you taunt with Chewie or St Han or any other tank with taunt. It nullifies his impact because they have to deal with your tank while you deal with there;s. They can't just take out your carries.

This is the point of tanks. He's not overpowered, just working as intended. He definitely shouldn't die in 1 round lol, just get your own tank and nullify his impact. Most teams should have a tank anyway. Especially in this tankier meta.

Also Qgj, Ventress and who ever else can remove taunt counters him.
  • Options
    Also Qgj, Ventress and who ever else can remove taunt counters him.
    Nothing counters him. I'm playing on new server. Several whales are few lvls above anyone else. Only they have fully starred RG's with precrafted gears. When they use their RG in defense, hiding Daka, Rey and Leia behind him, nobody can move them from their rank. They can go on vacation for a week and they will be still holding the rank positions. It is autowin. If these people, for some reason are not using RG, they are beatable. Once putting RG in their teams, it's mission impossible. RG is OP in this stage of the game development.

• Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    @Martianski Leia behind RG doesn't have many counters if any currently. Leia is really OP! RG does his job, but Leia doing 30k damage each round on AI that's the real problem here.
  • int3ns1fy
    210 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I really don't understand the consternation over RG. Everyone and their mother has QGJ from the speed meta, did people just automatically assume he's garbage now if you don't use him as lead? He's still an excellent DPS, and Humbling Blow is a very hard counter to RG's auto taunt. Unless you're running a team with bad DPS, you can easily get one of your opponent's toons below 50% health in the opening round. Then QGJ dispels RG's taunt in round 2, with the added bonus of getting offense up. You then go back to nuking the same toon and kill it. If you popped your big CDs in the opening round, by the time you get another toon down to 50% health Humbling Blow might be off cooldown again. If not then you might have to whittle RG down a bit, which isn't a bad strategy anyway as he can't stun if he's below 50% health.

I really think people are overreacting a bit too RG. Yes it's a powerful character, but also completely predictable (which I find FAR less annoying than the Dooku RNG-fest). If your strategy is to hammer on RG until he's dead then of course you're going to find him frustrating to go up against...
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    int3ns1fy wrote: »
    I really don't understand the consternation over RG. Everyone and their mother has QGJ from the speed meta, did people just automatically assume he's garbage now if you don't use him as lead? He's still an excellent DPS, and Humbling Blow is a very hard counter to RG's auto taunt. Unless you're running a team with bad DPS, you can easily get one of your opponent's toons below 50% health in the opening round. Then QGJ dispels RG's taunt in round 2, with the added bonus of getting offense up. You then go back to nuking the same toon and kill it. If you popped your big CDs in the opening round, by the time you get another toon down to 50% health Humbling Blow might be off cooldown again. If not then you might have to whittle RG down a bit, which isn't a bad strategy anyway as he can't stun if he's below 50% health.

I really think people are overreacting a bit too RG. Yes it's a powerful character, but also completely predictable (which I find FAR less annoying than the Dooku RNG-fest). If your strategy is to hammer on RG until he's dead then of course you're going to find him frustrating to go up against...

QGJ is definitely a good counter to RG. Right now the only viable one, I'd say. A few outliers may use Mace and just accept that he sucks on defense. But QGJ is by general consensus the best dispeller available.

However, QGJ will very likely spend a lot of time stunned. Especially on defense. But the AI Dooku is also fond of targeting Jedi, I suspect. Battles are also messy nowadays. If you've brought a toon to <50% and are forced to spend a few turns hacking away at RG before QGJ can go and remove the taunt, your target can often heal up due to passive heals or health steal, bringing it into green. Meaning you need to one shot it to keep RG from undoing your work.

This, once again, puts us in a situation where the heavy hitters end up being way superior to the medium hitters. This is one of the things this update was supposed to remedy, the way I've understood it at least.

RG just forces you to strategize much more than any other tank in the game. This is becoming very obvious after the introduction of Protection. I'm not convinced that is a good thing.
  • Options
    Royal Guard Fix

Taunt can only go off once every 3 turns.
    Taunt can not go off while stunned (like he currently can)

The health is fine My maxed out initiate has 23k hp's with 17k protection.

It's his unending ability to taunt, while stunned or not that makes him OP.

You could always just add in a Asajj Ventress, she is pretty reliable at dispelling the taunt. I haven't had an issue TBH against a RG, I do run a NS team though with Han, and I can usually take out RG before they do to much damage, and if he gets a taunt I dispell it, then kill the a guy with my AOE on Asajj to reset he Debuff then rinse and repeat RG is not hard at all.
  • Options
    Lol just went against a team with RG, GS, Bariss, Sid and IG-88, I lost Han after I killed RG but got him back with Daka then finished off the fight with protection on 3 of my guys. RG is a joke.

I run Asajj, Han, Talia, Daka, and Initiate.
  • Options
    Nonemo wrote: »

QGJ is definitely a good counter to RG. Right now the only viable one, I'd say. A few outliers may use Mace and just accept that he sucks on defense. But QGJ is by general consensus the best dispeller available.

However, QGJ will very likely spend a lot of time stunned. Especially on defense. But the AI Dooku is also fond of targeting Jedi, I suspect. Battles are also messy nowadays. If you've brought a toon to <50% and are forced to spend a few turns hacking away at RG before QGJ can go and remove the taunt, your target can often heal up due to passive heals or health steal, bringing it into green. Meaning you need to one shot it to keep RG from undoing your work.

This, once again, puts us in a situation where the heavy hitters end up being way superior to the medium hitters. This is one of the things this update was supposed to remedy, the way I've understood it at least.

RG just forces you to strategize much more than any other tank in the game. This is becoming very obvious after the introduction of Protection. I'm not convinced that is a good thing.

Says Who??

Asajj if played right is far better than QGJ

• Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    Lol just went against a team with RG, GS, Bariss, Sid and IG-88, I lost Han after I killed RG but got him back with Daka then finished off the fight with protection on 3 of my guys. RG is a joke.

Was that gear 9 or gear 8 RG? Gear 8 7* RG is not or should not be a concern for anyone.
  • christopher152003
    381 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Alexone wrote: »

Was that gear 9 or gear 8 RG? Gear 8 7* RG is not or should not be a concern for anyone.

Top 10 what do you think? My Initiate is GL9 and way more of a beast than RG is, I can dispell RG just about every time he taunts, because of Asajj. In that last fight I just tapped Han's Taunt and I was able to take out RG before he was unstunned. Do you really think that with Asajj, as lead and daka, Talia and Initiate getting 3 turns per round is gonna lose?

If you have enough speed it can still be the Meta.

Its about TM control and having good speed and good damage.

Han
    speed 121

Han has a 25% chance to remove 30% TM from each enemy at the start of each of his turns. In addition Han has a 25% chance to remove 10% TM when ever he is damaged.

Han Taunts for 3 turns, and all other allies gain 30% TM, in addition all other allies gain 20% TM whenever han is damaged.

Asajj
    speed 114

Nightsister allies gain 28 sped and have a 25% chance to remove 10% TM when they damage an enemy.

Dispell all positive effects from all enemies and Asajj recovers 40% of her max health. For each effect dispelled this way Asajj recovers an additional 6% max health and has a 50% chance to remove 10% TM

Talia
    speed 138

Talia consumes 20% of her max health. Each Ally recovers 40% of their max health and gains 30% TM. Talia has a 40% chance to also Gain 25% TM. (next level gives a 15% bonus effect chance Requires new omega which I have plenty of)

Daka Is a stun machine.
    speed 174

Initiate has 23k HP's with 17k protection and has almost a guaranteed crit with her special.
    speed 140

If i put Acolyte in
    Speed 167

Everyone but Daka and Han have LS, with Talia's giving 100% of damage done back, and Asajj has an Aoe that LS everyone and fills her up from a sliver.

Post edited by christopher152003 on
  • Options
    Read the first couple pages, didn't read the last few. Here's one even worse: RG and ST Han tanking with Daka, GS, QGJ. Try beating that team...
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options

Says Who??

Asajj if played right is far better than QGJ

I'll just copypaste what I said about Ventress in another thread:

She isn't very reliable in her dispel. Her AoE is reasonably strong but nowadays it's extremely hard to get an opponent toon to where it will be killed by an AoE. Meaning she very likely won't be refreshing her cooldowns. This makes her skill set a lot less potent than it could and should have been.

Also, there is the matter that she's rather slow. This isn't such a big problem anymore since battles take longer than just a few turns. But it still means she deals a LOT less damage over the course of a single battle than for instance Ahsoka does. Also, if you need to remove a taunt, statistically speaking, due to her lack of speed you'll be using a lot more turns in vain, hacking away at the enemy tank before Ventress finally goes up and can dispel.

Pair these two factors (slowness and ineffective skill set) with the fact that this update didn't give her much of a protection bonus (~5K). Meaning relative to other slow characters, she really missed out on the survivability that this patch was supposed to bring in.

While I love Ventress as a character, these aspects combined just make her not worth it to farm and use, in my opinion.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @Nonemo She sounds borderline OP as leader in a nightsister team as @christopher152003 described her. As a standalone, i believe you.
  • Bradford30080
    404 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Alexone wrote: »

Top 10 what do you think? My Initiate is GL9 and way more of a beast than RG is, I can dispell RG just about every time he taunts, because of Asajj. In that last fight I just tapped Han's Taunt and I was able to take out RG before he was unstunned. Do you really think that with Asajj, as lead and daka, Talia and Initiate getting 3 turns per round is gonna lose?

If you have enough speed it can still be the Meta.

Its about TM control and having good speed and good damage.

Han
    speed 121

Han has a 25% chance to remove 30% TM from each enemy at the start of each of his turns. In addition Han has a 25% chance to remove 10% TM when ever he is damaged.

Han Taunts for 3 turns, and all other allies gain 30% TM, in addition all other allies gain 20% TM whenever han is damaged.

Asajj
    speed 114

Nightsister allies gain 28 sped and have a 25% chance to remove 10% TM when they damage an enemy.

Dispell all positive effects from all enemies and Asajj recovers 40% of her max health. For each effect dispelled this way Asajj recovers an additional 6% max health and has a 50% chance to remove 10% TM

Talia
    speed 138

Talia consumes 20% of her max health. Each Ally recovers 40% of their max health and gains 30% TM. Talia has a 40% chance to also Gain 25% TM. (next level gives a 15% bonus effect chance Requires new omega which I have plenty of)

Daka Is a stun machine.
    speed 174

Initiate has 23k HP's with 17k protection and has almost a guaranteed crit with her special.
    speed 140

If i put Acolyte in
    Speed 167

Everyone but Daka and Han have LS, with Talia's giving 100% of damage done back, and Asajj has an Aoe that LS everyone and fills her up from a sliver.

Im gonna have to agree with the previous post. As someone who has played ventress lead since day one in arena i can tell you that falling from the 80's to 200+ overnight is not my favorite. Her ai is still bugged (healing unnecessarily) which makes her a target in arena. Whats up devs? Her dispel is crap 1/3 and they nerfed her aoe which btw wasnt stong enough to take out 50% toons before the update. I am encouraged by NI for sure but its very clear that everybody is way off target to say you can beat RG teams with dispellers...or speed:). Speed does help me see how lame my nightsisters damage more often:) m working on han now for some real protection.
  • SlyGambit
    1246 posts Member
    Options
    I'm still working on other team ideas to see if there's a way around the Dooku/Daka/RG combo, but for now it looks kinda bleak.

The two ways around I've found are a Rebel team with Han. As long as he gets his taunt off then their stuns don't matter much.

The other way is a Poggle and managing attacks to make sure that none of his characters get below 50%. With offense up you can reliably use IG-86 and IG-88 to one-shot-kill Dooku/Daka if they're ~65-51%. GS can also manage it on occasion if he has offense up and calls Poggle on an assist (GS gets a nice damage bump). You spread damage and prevent the trigger. I usually still focus Daka first then go after the Rey/Leia/GS DPS toons. If I can knock a single DPS toon out I then just have to focus on RG and finish Dooku last.

Poggle is key as lead over either HK or IG-88 (who I usually use). This is because the base attacks can bring provide more consistent damage so you can prevent accidently doing too much damage by critting when you're trying to set up a >50% kill shot.

Unfortunately I don't feel like that Poggle team is effective enough on defense but I may be wrong about it. Seems OK against Dooku teams. The speed Jedi were the hard counter to droids and I barely see anyone running them with so many Dookus populating the servers.