What to do about Royal Guard

Replies

• MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    Citoak wrote: »
    4/16 patch no notes says qui qgj will only dispell on ai or auto now...ugh

No I can see how the wording confused people. It means that the AI will only use Humbling Blow if there is a positive status effect to dispel. He would use it sometimes as just a regular attack.
  • Options
    Assess the biggest threat, remove protection, use a little brain power to figure out how to kill that threat before you get taunted to rg (assist works well) or after (aoe). Remove taunt, and repeat, or kill rg. There are a variety of strategies to beat teams that use him. Is he an annoyance, yes. But once you get the method of how to deal with him down, he becomes trivial. That's not to say AI won't have its way with you on occasion.
  • Options
    Humbling Blow from a well equipped QGJ will usually clear RG's taunt, allowing your team to finish kiling the character you had initially targeted.
  • Duckoo
    279 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    QGJ humbling blow, phasma advantage, the dps can take down the red ghost in a turn. I've done it.
  • Options
    QGJ is what I've been using to kill an opponent using RG. But I do run my own RG.
  • Options
    I always keep in mind that RG only taunts when someone goes below 50% health. Keeping that in mind, I make sure I can get someone from slightly above 50% to dead in one attack. That often means judicious use of attacks on your current target, and perhaps even having a character or two focus on something else until you have a toon taking a turn with an attack that can accomplish the task.
  • Options
    chuckwing wrote: »
    @Dcmone1 Just like Dooku and the people who used to say "The best counter to Dooku is running Dooku yourself", that is not a way to balance a game. That is how you force people to use the same characters which is what ruins the game. You are right though, RG is the best way to fight RG.

This - in the worst way. :(

Guy who is #1 ATM on my shard is running 7* RG, Dooku, Daka, QGJ, GS all gear level 9.

Try to focus Daka? RG taunts
    Focus Dooku - Yoda prevents the ability blocks and stuns for 2 turns but RG taunts
    Focus QGJ or GS - sure but after 2 turns of Yoda BM wears off the Dooku, Daka, RG stun rap kicks off and you perpetually have at least 2 usually 3 toons stunned per turn. Going nowhere fast with that one.
    Focus RG - sure NP - 41k plus change HP and Protection...10 actual hits (not including dodges ftom dooku) needed to bring him down 2 - 3 full rounds.

Not much left of my team left at this point. I will say however that all my toons get about 2-3 turns before dying. They just don't do anything against this line up.

There is just no viable strategy right now to counter all these stuns and huge health of RG. If I am wrong please let me know what the strategy is without mirroring that team and relying on a looooong coinflip?

Sad and dejected atm
    | ANZGC | Exile |
  • Options
    One problem is that often the top players will have RG at 40K HP and with Dooku lead. That makes the tactic of sniping one cannon before RG taunts very risky and not high enough probability for the risk to be worth it, imo.

Since protection was added, the best way I've found to deal with a 40K HP RG is to just go straight for him. If you have stunners or ability blockers you can toss some of these at their cannons at the same time.

That all said, I think RG is a bit over the top - not impossible to beat, but a team setup properly with a maxed RG is like, 5x more difficult to beat than any other team I've encountered, and I don't think there should be any character like that.

If they made the taunt 1-round only, with a round or two cool down, I think it'd be pretty balanced, but still very powerful.
  • Options
    This is so much like GS - a no name nuff nuff toon ruling the known galaxy and just pwning acknowledged named masters left right and centre.

What testing was actually done - did anyone actually test to see at current levels if the likely combo was reasonably beatable or does it all change somehow at l80 as if by magic.

This game design, the consequences of which, leave me considering other games as more worthy of my time and less of a magnet for my frustration.
    | ANZGC | Exile |
  • Options
    My advice is - you need in your team tank of your own /Poe and Han will do as obviously you don`t have RG/ , you need Lumi to heal. Try to use dpsers who have assist skills or multiatack/Qui, Gs, Dooku, Gs, Rey .. etc /. You focus RG with all your toons /especially if he is in Dooku team - you cant risk some dodge from other enemy toon and then you have to deal with hisoffence up as you can hardly kill it if RG taunts/.

Both Han and Poe can now survive 1, even 2 turns of enemy damage as your Lumi has the chance to heal. Most likely when Lumi turns come for the first time she don`t have to heal yet so you use her block ability on the most dangerous enemy /i would go with Qui lead for this to work best if you have him/ .

The downside is if you leave your team with Lumi on it after the fight - you will be prefered target for all others atacking you after this...
  • Options
    anonidude wrote: »
    This is so much like GS - a no name nuff nuff toon ruling the known galaxy and just pwning acknowledged named masters left right and centre.

What testing was actually done - did anyone actually test to see at current levels if the likely combo was reasonably beatable or does it all change somehow at l80 as if by magic.

This game design, the consequences of which, leave me considering other games as more worthy of my time and less of a magnet for my frustration.
    He was absolutely worthless before the buff. He is probably a little overtuned but his kit is fantastic and add a cool dynamic to overcome instead of the regular tank taunts.
  • Options
    Apostilo wrote: »
    My advice is - you need in your team tank of your own /Poe and Han will do as obviously you don`t have RG/ , you need Lumi to heal. Try to use dpsers who have assist skills or multiatack/Qui, Gs, Dooku, Gs, Rey .. etc /. You focus RG with all your toons /especially if he is in Dooku team - you cant risk some dodge from other enemy toon and then you have to deal with hisoffence up as you can hardly kill it if RG taunts/.

Both Han and Poe can now survive 1, even 2 turns of enemy damage as your Lumi has the chance to heal. Most likely when Lumi turns come for the first time she don`t have to heal yet so you use her block ability on the most dangerous enemy /i would go with Qui lead for this to work best if you have him/ .

The downside is if you leave your team with Lumi on it after the fight - you will be prefered target for all others atacking you after this...

@Apostilo - some good advice there - my only tank is Chewy and another case of great lore / underwhelming toon.

I am farming STH just as fast as I can so couple more weeks and he will have the stars and gear.

But,

I've been running my all Jedi getup for a long time - happily and easily took #1 in my payout slot virtually every day (Sydney Aus). Happily took the overnight beating to the 20's 30's and sometimes even 60's. This meant everyone was getting a fair shot at the prizes. All good - I'd win say 4/5 on my way back up refresh 1-2 times and be in at #1 again. Happy days.

The guy at the top of my shard hasn't been moved in 2 days since the update. I'm still winning 4/5 against the other teams and am now 11-1 down against him and that was a lucky RNG with phasma lead and assists called and landing.

I don't have 86 up to scratch - next few days for that and I don't have Rey.

But in short it does mean that an all Jedi squad is a scrub right now which really makes me sad - love em or hate em Jedi are what makes star wars different
    | ANZGC | Exile |
  • Apostilo
    137 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@Apostilo - some good advice there - my only tank is Chewy and another case of great lore / underwhelming toon.

I am farming STH just as fast as I can so couple more weeks and he will have the stars and gear.

But,

I've been running my all Jedi getup for a long time - happily and easily took #1 in my payout slot virtually every day (Sydney Aus). Happily took the overnight beating to the 20's 30's and sometimes even 60's. This meant everyone was getting a fair shot at the prizes. All good - I'd win say 4/5 on my way back up refresh 1-2 times and be in at #1 again. Happy days.

The guy at the top of my shard hasn't been moved in 2 days since the update. I'm still winning 4/5 against the other teams and am now 11-1 down against him and that was a lucky RNG with phasma lead and assists called and landing.

I don't have 86 up to scratch - next few days for that and I don't have Rey.

But in short it does mean that an all Jedi squad is a scrub right now which really makes me sad - love em or hate em Jedi are what makes star wars different

Well mate , the point is you don`t have to run the same team as the enemy to win over RG, a full Jedi squad is not working now because their speed can`t help you kill someone before his turn comes - because of protection stat and RG /RG being so valuable now is also because of the prtotection stat/ .

But if you don`t meet precrafters who are way ahead your current gear /in case you are not precrafter yourself/ , winning over RG is possible with 3/5 Jedi speed team as long as you have Yoda and you start with tenacity . Others 2 Jedi which you probably have are Lumi and Qui as lead. The last 2 toons of yours should be a good tank / no idea how is Chewby working on max upgrade, so i suggested Poe or Han/ and a crazy dps - GS will do the trick. Then follow my tactic.

I am still able to win each day and each battle with my Qui /lead/, Yoda,Lumi, Poe and GS against a whale on my server who seems to be atacked during the whole day by no more than 3 people /or less/ including me. It is strange but one of the other guys who dare to atack him and sometimes takes his rang is a droid team squad and i kill him with same setup with 5 people left on full HP sometimes ... yeah you heard right , sometimes he can`t even kill my Poe/ .

Anyway the whale in question is max gear and 1 level ahead of me and using Dooku/lead/ , Ray, Qui, Yoda, RG, so i am facing a fair amount of dodges and enemy offence ups too :)

The hardest thing is to keep 1 battle available at the end so i can change Lumi with something else , cos having a Healer in your defence team is suicide and drops you far behind the rangs , making you prefered target :)
  • Zekex
    474 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Never target RG first. Identify the biggest threat on the team.

This will be QGJ if you are using a taunting character like RG, or someone with positive effects. Do not let QGJ get his offense up for his entire team!If not, choose one of the biggest dps on the other team to focus fire on. This could be rey,ig86, gs etc. If you can kill one of them before they even attack, do it. Accept the fact that you have to eat one special from the other dps.

Now that you have chosen the character to focus on,use either a basic+ special or special+ basic to clear protection and drop character to slightly above 50% hp. This takes some trial and error and understanding of damage ranges,crit and non-crit. The third attack should be a special to finish off the dps.

If you trigger taunt from rg at any point of time after this, use QGJ to dispel and hopefully get offense up for the entire team. Repeat the process from the third paragraph. If you fail dispel, too bad, focus whatever specials you have on RG.

phasma,rg, poggle, han are your friends. turn manipulation and offense up makes the job of killing rg and other dps much easier.
  • Zekex
    474 posts Member
    Options
    One problem is that often the top players will have RG at 40K HP and with Dooku lead. That makes the tactic of sniping one cannon before RG taunts very risky and not high enough probability for the risk to be worth it, imo.

Since protection was added, the best way I've found to deal with a 40K HP RG is to just go straight for him. If you have stunners or ability blockers you can toss some of these at their cannons at the same time.

That all said, I think RG is a bit over the top - not impossible to beat, but a team setup properly with a maxed RG is like, 5x more difficult to beat than any other team I've encountered, and I don't think there should be any character like that.

If they made the taunt 1-round only, with a round or two cool down, I think it'd be pretty balanced, but still very powerful.

This is the worst possible decision you can ever make. Do not target RG if you can take down 1 toon and dispel with QGJ. you would be playing into the RG player's hands if you decide to take down a 40k hp toon, blowing special after special and leaving the rest of your toons exposed to dps at the same time. only focus on rg if you're forced to, do not do it willingly.

Worse advice ever, please do not listen.
  • Olfbald
    106 posts Member
    Options
    Stop the nerf talk.
    Im not even using him, i use Han instead.
    RG never pose any problem. DONT focus RG down! Focus dps to just over 50% and then burst them down.

If/when he taunt, you can still use AOE.

Use dispellers.

Nightsister Initiate (and maybe Anakin) is also golden against him.
  • Options
    Nightsister Innitiate can apply buff immunity, preventing the taunt. QGJ, Teebo, and Ventress can dispel it.
  • Apostilo
    137 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Zekex wrote: »

This will be QGJ if you are using a taunting character like RG, or someone with positive effects. Do not let QGJ get his offense up for his entire team!If not, choose one of the biggest dps on the other team to focus fire on. This could be rey,ig86, gs etc. If you can kill one of them before they even attack, do it. Accept the fact that you have to eat one special from the other dps.

Now that you have chosen the character to focus on,use either a basic+ special or special+ basic to clear protection and drop character to slightly above 50% hp. This takes some trial and error and understanding of damage ranges,crit and non-crit. The third attack should be a special to finish off the dps.

If you trigger taunt from rg at any point of time after this, use QGJ to dispel and hopefully get offense up for the entire team. Repeat the process from the third paragraph. If you fail dispel, too bad, focus whatever specials you have on RG.

phasma,rg, poggle, han are your friends. turn manipulation and offense up makes the job of killing rg and other dps much easier.

1 st - you waste one of your 2 fastest toons skills into using basic atack /better land the best atack on RG as sooner or later you will have to deal with him
    2 nd - You count on your second atack not to be critical hit so you can keep the enemy over 50 % hp and same time to assure your third character atacking him will kill him means he cant be over 75 % or what ?
    3 rd - you suppose you will have 3 toons faster than the targeted most dangerous enemy ? If not the enemy will make his turn using his best atack , not touching you gently with his basic like you did ..
    4 th - How about dodges in dooku lead teams /like 80 % of them out there/? You are wasting an atack and give offence up to the enemy in case he dodge even once and now you will need 4 of your guys atacking first target?
    5 th - high RG tenacity resists 2 of 3 Dispel attempts /at least for me it does/

Sorry m8, but you count too much on the RNG to win by your tactic. And even if RNG is on your side you will kill one enemy using 3 of yours atacks and most likely not before he do his turn and land some damage on you. You can`t be claiming you will kill all other enemies by same tactic - keeping them between 50-75 % health and not letting RG taunt, but guess what - you will be killing RG now with probably 3-4 toons left alive from your side and even if dispell works you will be giving RG the oportunity to make 3 turns or more instead of just 1 . Have you noticed how often he stuns and slows. Most likely enemy Ai will be playing with your turn metters instead of the opposite.

P.S. One more flaw in your tactic m8 - giving example as if Qui is your main target : He have 10 k HP and 5 k protection. I absolutely agree with you with 1 basic and 1 special you can take him to around 6-7 k HP . Now here is the flow - which toon will be using for the 3 rd special atack to waste him down for good ? Not many can do 6-7 k damage without a crit - i would say the list is as narrow as GS +assist , Rey, FOTP, Qui +assit /the list is short because you will most probably use some of those characters before the killing blow time comes , using basic atacks... / . Nvm lets pretend you have such character of the above list ready to make the killing blow .. lets pretend it is your slow Qui - he uses his special , assited by someone , they both crit and enemy is dead.... nice but you did 5 k Qui crit + 10 k GS/Ray/FOtp assist crit .. you totaly did 15 k damage to an enemy that required 6-7 k only to be killed , just to ensure the kill . Wouldn`t you prefer to land those total 15 k on the so scary 40 k hp RG instead and having him on half HP with this move ?
    Post edited by Apostilo on
  • Zekex
    474 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Zekex wrote: »

1 st - you waste one of your 2 fastest toons skills into using basic atack /better land the best atack on RG as sooner or later you will have to deal with him
    2 nd - You count on your second atack not to be critical hit so you can keep the enemy over 50 % hp and same time to assure your third character atacking him will kill him means he cant be over 75 % or what ?
    3 rd - you suppose you will have 3 toons faster than the targeted most dangerous enemy ? If not the enemy will make his turn using his best atack , not touching you gently with his basic like you did ..
    4 th - How about dodges in dooku lead teams /like 80 % of them out there/? You are wasting an atack and give offence up to the enemy in case he dodge even once and now you will need 4 of your guys atacking first target?
    5 th - high RG tenacity resists 2 of 3 Dispel attempts /at least for me it does/

Sorry m8, but you count too much on the RNG to win by your tactic. And even if RNG is on your side you will kill one enemy using 3 of yours atacks and most likely not before he do his turn and land some damage on you. You can`t be claiming you will kill all other enemies by same tactic - keeping them between 50-75 % health and not letting RG taunt, but guess what - you will be killing RG now with probably 3-4 toons left alive from your side and even if dispell works you will be giving RG the oportunity to make 3 turns or more instead of just 1 . Have you noticed how often he stuns and slows. Most likely enemy Ai will be playing with your turn metters instead of the opposite.

I'm sure you dont have much experience facing gear 9 RG toons. I've been running phasma lead/rey/qgj/gs RG. I fight another gear9 rg with gear8/9 toons and if I use my method of killing, I end up with only 1 toon dead, and the rest pretty intact,with a couple of toons with at least 50% shield or more. That includes my gear 9 rg, who got off with more than 50% shield remaining after the fight.I'm also consistently top 5 on my shard, often contesting for first place(although that is always a matter of luck than anything else)

1st- although I "waste" one turn on a basic I ensure that I'm not taking 20k+ dps over the course of the entire game if I had let that character live.Sure I'm losing out on a few thousand damage, but when I do kill your character early, you're losing out on potentially more.If you compare it like that, it's a reasonable decision. How fast do you think you can clear a 40k RG while I mow down the rest of your dps?That's something else to consider.

2nd- It isn't always just above 50% most of the time its around the 70% hp mark but I make sure its between 50-100%

3rd-protection forces players to get at least two shots in before a character is dead.some toons its three or more.Even if you lose 1 you still have 2-4 dps left, depending on what team you run. You can always use poggle/han/phasma/qgj to help in case you screw up

4th-dodges against dooku lead can screw up even the best of plans. I've been campaigning against dooku for quite some time already. In any case, phasma is there in case i screw up since victory march provides 50% turnmeter.

5th-anecdotal evidence. my experience is most of the tiime qgj will dispel unless you're really unlucky(that's anecdotal evidence too). I can provide some rough numbers if you really want me to track, just give me a sample size and I'll do it.In any case you have no choice but to focus RG, there isn't anything you can do.

Of course on hindsight if you knew you were going to fail dispel you might as well go all in on rg instead of splitting damage. It's a decision you will have to make, weighing the pros and cons. It's like attacking a team with daka...should I attack daka and let a dps run riot for a turn, or kill a dps first and pray hard daka doesn't rez him before you kill daka

P.S You have poggle to increase damage for slow characters like ig86, you have phasma and han to manipulate turnmeter so that you get the second round ahead of your opponent in case you screw up.

P.S if you have trouble killing a QGJ, you will definitely have a problem killing a gear 9, 40k shield +hp RG. You really need to use those buffers,taunters and turn manipulators if you want a decent chance of winning those RG teams. There's a guy in my shard who's consistently contesting #1 during my payout. He consistently wins against my rg team without RG but he does use a combination of the toons I mentioned(use phasma/han/poggle/QGJ or some combination of it. it works.)
    Post edited by Zekex on
  • Options
    I've found the best way is stuns right now. It's going to take some time to take down RG, so stunning 2-3 threats buys you that time. Usually ignoring RG doesnt work unless you have aoe, get lucky with the turn order (eg dispel quickly) or you're lucky enough to get Rey to get offense up (so you can 1-shot a dps and then deal with RG).

I really hope CG fixes the bug where assists almosr always calls stunned toons.
  • Options
    Thanks @Zekex and @Apostilo both of you have good ideas some or which I'll try out to see how it work out.

The issue for me is this - at gear ix RG and Daka both get a big increase to potency. Combined with Dooku they are basically stunning 2 sometimes 3 or rarely 4 of my toons every turn.

So usually I am getting 3 vs 5 situation even tho all 5 are standing.

Maybe my RNG is bad maybe it's my team. But my normal team just cleaned up a gear xiii Dooku / Daka / RG / Qgj / Gs without breaking a sweat.

Tried the #1 guy again (same team gear ix) and got beat down again big time.

Guess that I'll have to just keep on keeping on for the time being.
    | ANZGC | Exile |
  • LordRath
    1032 posts Member
    Options
    Citoak wrote: »
    4/16 patch no notes says qui qgj will only dispell on ai or auto now...ugh

You might want to put a bug report in. My QGJ is having no issues dispelling other than it still isn't working for me on a kill shot
  • Zekex
    474 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks @Zekex and @Apostilo both of you have good ideas some or which I'll try out to see how it work out.

The issue for me is this - at gear ix RG and Daka both get a big increase to potency. Combined with Dooku they are basically stunning 2 sometimes 3 or rarely 4 of my toons every turn.

So usually I am getting 3 vs 5 situation even tho all 5 are standing.

Maybe my RNG is bad maybe it's my team. But my normal team just cleaned up a gear xiii Dooku / Daka / RG / Qgj / Gs without breaking a sweat.

Tried the #1 guy again (same team gear ix) and got beat down again big time.

Guess that I'll have to just keep on keeping on for the time being.

We're in the same boat. Hang in there bro! nothing we can do about rng, though I've been making posts about dooku lead even before the update and dooku megathread.Yoda is lovely against all the stuns but he doesn't bring damage to the table after nerfs, and you have to run yoda with qgj lead to have him move before dooku. Doesn't solve the daka rez issue too.Let me know what you think and what you're running to mitigate the stuns and the rezs
  • Options
    @Zekex
    Dude, you are running another RG too ??? That says it all. You can win at whatever tactic you would like to use evne by the RNG tactic by autocombat the fight ... I suppose a guy who have RG too wouldn`t start this topic with questioning about what to do against RG ... as this guy probably had enough fights showing him what enemies do best against him and how to counter it ...

And BTW how much more experience you have from fighting 40 k hp , Gear 9 RG since the protection patch 4 days ago ? Much more than me ???

• Zekex
    474 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @Zekex
    Dude, you are running another RG too ??? That says it all. You can win at whatever tactic you would like to use evne by the RNG tactic by autocombat the fight ... I suppose a guy who have RG too wouldn`t start this topic with questioning about what to do against RG ... as this guy probably had enough fights showing him what enemies do best against him and how to counter it ...

And BTW how much more experience you have from fighting 40 k hp , Gear 9 RG since the protection patch 4 days ago ? Much more than me ???

Did you see the part where a guy on my shard without RG beats me consistently?It's under the P.S

FYI I autoed one of my fights by mistake, lost QGJ, got debuffed by enemy QGJ giving his entire team offense up. Could have recovered but phasma on auto uses fusillade instead of victory march. Lost the battle.So I don't know what you're talking about.. erratic targetting and poor choice of abilities is one reason I will not give control to AI.

I have fought RG teams before I got my own RG so I know what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    Peace mate, i didn`t mean to offend, lets say we proposed the Guy 2 diferent tactics.. he may try them both . I respect your opinion. Cheers
  • Zekex
    474 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    deleted.
  • Options
    1. AOE would be an effective counter, RG's taunt would be useless, since most RG don't have healers then this would be a good strat to go to
    2. Personally, I use QGJ humbling blow, time it right, put opponent's Rey/Lea at yellow, RG taunts, use QGJ Humbling blow. If it procs, Rey/Lea would die next move. Although I use RG to myself, but another taunter (Han for example) would have the same effect to protect QGJ.
    829-416-931
  • Skeetabyte42
    325 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    As always, whenever someone asks, "How do I deal with (RG/GS/Dooku)?" the answer is the same:

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!!

For those of you looking for "balance": This isn't the 'Force'. They only use Star Wars branded characters. Any resemblance to actual Star Wars characters (living or dead) is purely coincidental.

;)

PS: The censorship on these forums is insane! I misspell 'Dooku' (autocorrect) by two little letters, and THAT word gets replaced by '****'? What the ****?
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    If you guys beat Han but don't beat RG, you need to tell me how you do it! Because i have no problem with 7* gear 8 RG teams, yet Han i can't beat. The TM manipulation is frickin insane! Does nobody here have Asajj or Qui-gon Jinn or what's happening?