You are a whale. How far have you gone to prove it?

Replies

• Pokebreaker
    734 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Dro1dm0de wrote: »
    Lol spend your money however you want but what's the fun of buying everything? Aren't you supposed to get joy from unlocking things from grinding and working for it? Good God waste 10K on something else instead of a game that will probably be obsolete by next year. Reminds me of a buddy of mine who bought a ps4 simply for Madden and spends hundreds a week on MUT knowing full well the pixels will be worthless by next season and will do it all over again.

It's an addiction, they can't help it. Freemium modeled games target specific types of people, and most times those people don't even realize they are the intended sucker. They draw them in by offering advantage, and then they get strung along with the competitive aspect and offers of being "special", such as the qualification to even be able to see Aurodium offers. Even in this thread you can see them competing over the amount spent in order to be called "Whales", Krakens", etc. I don't know why they bother with all those titles, when Pay-to-Win sums all of them up nicely.

The competition drives them to keep spending to be "better" than the next person, all the while not realizing they've been had. They say they are affluent and do well in life, YET seek anonymous notoriety on the internet by paying thier way to accomplishments; because that makes sense...

People thank P2Wers for keeping a game "alive", when in actuality, they are actually killing the gaming experience over the course of time; and thanking them only perpetuates their behavior. Mobile games are a dime a dozen, and are rarely unique, so if one died, there are cookie-cutter versions already flooding the market hoping to pick up the left over suckers. Why should developers strive to make unique games, when it's so easy to change the artwork, keep the freemium model, and profit?
  • Options
    If you are F2P or shrimp and act judgmentally toward the whales, you are a hypocrite of the highest order. They are subsidizing the game experience for you. You should be thanking the whales and not judging them.

I've put $5 into this game and it has given me many (too many) hours of entertainment. I don't think anyone has enough information about anyone else to condescendingly pass judgment on how a complete stranger spends his/her money.
  • Options
    djvita wrote: »
    It funny cuz i resisted all the zynga facebook games, candy crush and clash of clans.
    Heck i even played Myvegas slots and never put a cent in (and got buffets and circe du soleil tickets as rewards).
    Second day in I buy the dark side pack and I went deep into the dark side.

I have 1.3 million gold coins in My Vegas slots. Still haven't redeemed yet. Waiting for the free cruise to become available again.
  • Pokebreaker
    734 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If you are F2P or shrimp and act judgmentally toward the whales, you are a hypocrite of the highest order. They are subsidizing the game experience for you. You should be thanking the whales and not judging them.

I've put $5 into this game and it has given me many (too many) hours of entertainment. I don't think anyone has enough information about anyone else to condescendingly pass judgment on how a complete stranger spends his/her money.
    I love when people use the theological question of, "who are you too judge me" or "what gives you the right to judge me?" Quite the pointless question to ask on the internet.

Your statement "They are subsidizing the game experience for you. You should be thanking the whales and not judging them." Is all sorts of silly, as mobile games are practically clones of each other, and if one died, they would redraw the artwork, and put the same crap right back into the market with minimal cost.

Logically, you can't expect anyone to buy into the idea that P2W people are doing it for a noble cause. If there is any charity involved, it is purely an unintended side effect. P2W spend their money purely for selfish reasons (which is not bad) and do not require thanking from anyone BUT the developers. So you can grovel on your own, but I'd recommend bringing some sturdy knee pads.
  • Options
    I'm amazed how sivilized this thread has been and i'd like to give gratz to every1 involved. We need more threads like this! :)
  • Ebi
    59 posts Member
    Options
    Wow, and I was feeling really bad about myself, because I spent my first $10 (after 6 months playing f2p) during last weekend's omega event. Thanks guys :)
  • vavavader
    180 posts Member
    Options
    I've cashed out $7,500 or so from my 401k for this game. Every penny was worth it! Not the IRS tax bill tho!
    38yr old . Income: Govt Disability . Living in mom's basement . Fav food: hot pockets . Fav game: SWGOH
  • Options
    vavavader wrote: »
    I've cashed out $7,500 or so from my 401k for this game. Every penny was worth it! Not the IRS tax bill tho!

I feel sorry for you regardless. Please, take my pity, it's the least I could do.
  • Options
    No 1-10 Option?

Because that´s my Rank in the Arena thanks to being a Whale!

4drrQ0Q.gif
  • Options

If that's true, you cashed out far more than $7,500 in the long run.

• Options
    No 1-10 Option?

Because that´s my Rank in the Arena thanks to being a Whale!

4drrQ0Q.gif
    :D
    I see what you did there.
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • Vavasour
    102 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    This game is the most serious addition I've ever suffered from. More than drugs, gambling, cigarets, or girls... Okay not more than girls. But it's bad.
  • Options
    im a reformed whale, spent a bunch at the beginning on chromiums but i've been coasting on mostly just the crystal subscription since february
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    Options
    Naecabon wrote: »
    If you aren't at $10,000+ you aren't a whale.

That's what whale means.

Yep, whale is whole collection 7* Gear 9, level 80 roster. With millions of credits ready to level a new toon released, and will 7* the next aurodium char in 3 hours.
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    double post
  • Hangfire
    497 posts Member
    Options
    1500 should be the starting point on the list if we're talking about whales.

Yep, I'm at that mark, and believe me, I'm no whale.
  • Hangfire
    497 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah you definitely need a few bigger categories! I think I'm a kraken, currently spent more than 15K and no sign of stopping soon!

Well done, can I come over to your house and hang out.
  • Options
    Our guild is limited to 2 attempts each on Heroic tier due to the Rancor dying easily. Having 50 L80 7* is pointless.

If you have been playing 6 months as F2P you should have a decent squad by now. Aside from having a 7* Leia, there isnt much point me spending the money.

But i respect the whales. Its a form of entertainment.
  • Frommer
    145 posts Member
    Options
    Our guild is limited to 2 attempts each on Heroic tier due to the Rancor dying easily. Having 50 L80 7* is pointless.

If you have been playing 6 months as F2P you should have a decent squad by now. Aside from having a 7* Leia, there isnt much point me spending the money.

But i respect the whales. Its a form of entertainment.

I want a Leia so bad.... wouldn't mind a maul either. The shipment versions are a joke though.
  • Options
    It's all about priorities.

Personally I'd rather sink 20 large into a '59 Les Paul.
  • Options
    Just because of this thread i decided to sell my old guitar (was an old model from 1959) and bought some extra crystals!

Just showing some support for the GoH-developers!
  • Options

Pinarello Dogma F8 with Dura Ace DI2 groupset for me. Or maybe. Canyon Speedmax CF SLX with the same groupset. Either way, both would leave me with some spare change which I might dip into for the game. But if people want to sink that much money into a game then go them. Their money and doesn't matter to me what they do with it.

I've spent money (though only 300AUD) on it though I regret it as I spent it poorly.
  • Darthenstein
    1205 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I spent my first purchase quite poorly as well (was new to the game and didn't understand much), so i thought that buying that Rancor Raid MegaBooster-Pack would give me a bunch of useful characters (I only had Chewbacka, Talia and a Clonetrooper at the time).

Chromium Mega-Pack is where it's at. Had much luck with that.
  • Frommer
    145 posts Member
    Options
    Just because of this thread i decided to sell my old guitar (was an old model from 1959) and bought some extra crystals!

@Darthenstein

That legit lol? Just vaguely curious if my writing this influenced someone in an actual way.
  • Options
    Frommer wrote: »

@Darthenstein

That legit lol? Just vaguely curious if my writing this influenced someone in an actual way.

Yes! The thread was quite an inspiration, i wanted to upgrade myself from shrimp-status to a tuna, not yet a Kraken though :sweat_smile:
  • ElleAndomar
    117 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Frommer wrote: »

@Darthenstein

Ha, I'm pretty sure I was being trolled.

At least I hope so.
  • Javofett
    65 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Stok3d wrote: »
    Should be 2500, 5000, 7500, 10k, 15k, 20k+ options.

Im 5k+ in and feel cheap compared to many of my guildmates...

Yeah, would be more like that...for me a whale is the one who had spent 15k or more..
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    The fruits of my 1500$
    http://a65.tinypic.com/2iabpld.jpg
  • Options

Now you're talking MY kind of whale...I've spent more on guitars and gear than some on this board make in years - but that's my thing. To each his own -

Played a real 59 once BTW - the 250k price tag scared my wife though so she drug me out of the auction house
  • Options

This..would not have done this. Ever. Lol