Is there ANY fun for F2P left in this game?

Prev1345
lvl:80 Arena Power:38k Arena Rank: top 100

I am start thinking that the answer is NO. this game slowly converts into P2P game.
To have a toon that matters at all it should be at least 6* g8

Let's have a quick preview of shard sources:
Cantina - I think it is no longer F2P - you got mods to farm, drop rate is low.
Cantina Shop - I think it has never been for F2P - max I get 1 purchase per day - 5 shards
Arena Shipments - still F2P - I can get 10 shards per day
GW - still F2P if there is anything to farm.

I am ok that P2P should have an advantage, so I will start thinking that my highest rank in Arena will be 100 or 200, 500.. but main problem is that if I fall in Arena rank crystals and Arena tokens that I will get will not be enough to have any progress so I will stop playing. And I think that other F2P will also stop playing when they reach such state...

I think that devs should take a little care about F2P - I think they should increase rewards in Arena for lower tiers and add new toons in GW(no need to be top toons but valuable)

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    i think you're wrong. This is still a very f2p friendly game. f2p players are spoiled in this game, and this is comming from an f2p player.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    leef wrote: »
    i think you're wrong. This is still a very f2p friendly game. f2p players are spoiled in this game, and this is comming from an f2p player.

would you tell me what is your level and arena rank please?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    https://swgoh.gg/u/leef/
    #1141 in tournament.
  • Pjay
    283 posts Member
    Options
    I am F2p and am having alot of fun with this game ; )
  • Options
    F2P is MORE fun than P2P, thats my F2P opinion. When I win I get more rewarded, feeling wise, than someone who shuffled in money to win.
    Arena rank 1. Lvl 80.
  • Options
    Save as many crystals as you can.No refreshing. If you have 5 toon team that's not total pushover, spend them on refreshing arena in one night and early morning as you climb.* Not on the guild arena battle day* Battle while no payouts are happening as to not get fought back too often. I went from around 100 to battling for the top in one day and have never looked back. Keep a reserve for arena refreshing as to not lose your new crystal payout level. It took just a few hundred crystals saved plus 2 days of daily crystals including GW and a daily login reward of crystals to get me there. Plan ahead ,check the daily log in rewards for when to go all out.
  • Options
    But arena will become full of toons like shore trooper. that is the trend - to announce new P2P toons which are OP. So I will got no choice and will fall in Arena -> less crystal -> very slow farming/gearing -> stop
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    pargame wrote: »
    But arena will become full of toons like shore trooper. that is the trend - to announce new P2P toons which are OP. So I will got no choice and will fall in Arena -> less crystal -> very slow farming/gearing -> stop

you're ranked top100, how many shoretroopers are you expecting in your arena server/leaderboard? If you're ranked top5 it might cause problems, with the emphasis on might.
  • Tiggus
    766 posts Member
    Options
    I don't think that there's such a big distinction between a player who pays and one who doesn't, except for the ones who pay a lot. The game brings lots of very tedious chores and a few incredibly precious moments.

Amongst things I do/did enjoy:
    - The Raid (still do, trying to beat my personal record every try)
    - The random events (Yoda, Palpatine,...)
    - Beating all the Mods challenges with the minimum possible teams
    - This tournament we just finished, more for the novelty than for the actual experience
    - Seeing the uproar on the forum about every new game feature
    - The new Raid that we got in August... oops

And things I enjoy less:
    - Leveling a toon and find that he adds another 3 Holo Projectors to the 30-strong backlist of shortage
    - Seeing my Arena performance sink further every day (used to be always #1 before mods, now I have a hard time maintaining top-20)
    - Going a whole week looking for a useful Mod and not finding one

So in one word: if you get frustrated with Arena, focus on something else (e.g. clear all Mod challenges).
    ☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/
  • Ring
    559 posts Member
    Options
    I'm strictly F2P, have not (and will not) invested a single cent in this game. Stopped playing in February, just came back a few weeks ago, so dropped from top 100 to around 750-900 in the Arena, because my team is only 25k. I'm having a blast, because it reminds me of the good ol' days when I was playing Star Wars CCG - I'm slowly working towards the team I want, having to EARN any potential success instead of just buying the characters I want. The long break actually makes the whole thing more interesting, since many new elements have been introduced, adding more variety to the game. And events such as the double drop weekend just add to the attractiveness of the game as it is. Yes, it has its faults (like the recent tourney), but then I just don't take part in those and problem solved.
  • Options
    lvl:80 Arena Power:38k Arena Rank: top 100

I am start thinking that the answer is NO. this game slowly converts into P2P game.
    To have a toon that matters at all it should be at least 6* g8

Let's have a quick preview of shard sources:
    Cantina - I think it is no longer F2P - you got mods to farm, drop rate is low.
    Cantina Shop - I think it has never been for F2P - max I get 1 purchase per day - 5 shards
    Arena Shipments - still F2P - I can get 10 shards per day
    GW - still F2P if there is anything to farm.

I am ok that P2P should have an advantage, so I will start thinking that my highest rank in Arena will be 100 or 200, 500.. but main problem is that if I fall in Arena rank crystals and Arena tokens that I will get will not be enough to have any progress so I will stop playing. And I think that other F2P will also stop playing when they reach such state...

I think that devs should take a little care about F2P - I think they should increase rewards in Arena for lower tiers and add new toons in GW(no need to be top toons but valuable)

Free to play here.... :D
  • Options
    Been playing this game since release as F2P and having lots of fun :) sure it's a grind but I like making new teams and trying different things. In my opinion you can get a lot of hours from this game without spending anything; it's an okay model for the most part.
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    Options
    F2P here, Lvl 80, Arena Power 44k, Arena Rank: 100
    With the exception of hating RNG and get hated back from it, i still love the game.
    My point is, im in a great guild, we do raids every other day and we fun-chat every day. Its always the community, that makes a game great or fall.
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Save as many crystals as you can.No refreshing. If you have 5 toon team that's not total pushover, spend them on refreshing arena in one night and early morning as you climb.* Not on the guild arena battle day* Battle while no payouts are happening as to not get fought back too often. I went from around 100 to battling for the top in one day and have never looked back. Keep a reserve for arena refreshing as to not lose your new crystal payout level. It took just a few hundred crystals saved plus 2 days of daily crystals including GW and a daily login reward of crystals to get me there. Plan ahead ,check the daily log in rewards for when to go all out.

It's a game not a job

your point being?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Get a life

smh
  • MrGrips
    521 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Get a life

smh

@leef , your posts are tone-deaf and straight petty. Your roster is mega developed, youve probably been playing since near the launch of this game. F2P is not at all the same for newer players. They didnt get to camp out at level 70 or before raid gear, or before mods and just bide their time grinding comfortably and playing catch up for literally months. New players have to deal with having to get much more stuff with much less time. The goalposts are shifting before they reach them, unlike with you. Its worse. Stop acting like all F2P have as much luxury as you do.
  • Options
    As much as I hate the grinding in the game and think the devs are total losers and leeches....This is actually one of the more "friendly" mobile games. NO mobile game is completly free to play. Clash of Clans and all that Farmville games consider much more grinding and the gameplay is rather boring. I play since January so I probably have it easier since the game is not beginner friendly anymore (all events require tons of toons for example and you must be lv 70-80)...so I cant really judge by a newbies view :P
  • Options
    I play with a group of friends and most of use don't spend too much. Only time we made big purchases was during the 25% bonus. It's easier to enjoy the game f2p with a community. Focus on your own achievements, don't compare to others so much.
  • pargame
    989 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Ghaiks wrote: »
    Focus on your own achievements, don't compare to others so much.

That is what I want - that's why I think they should increase rewards for lower tiers in Arena and bring new toons in GW - so when I go in lower Arena rank to be able have fun.
    Sooner or later all F2P will go in lower Arena Rank because P2P toons is like a ticket to Arena top.
    that's ok - just give a chance for lower ranks to have fun.
    I mean for lvl 80 at lower rank
  • ddlooping
    39 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    There's something that most tend to not take into consideration when talking about F2P (MrGrips is the exception here).
    "When did one start playing?"

@Leef : I started playing about 5 weeks ago, do you think my experience of the game is the same as yours?
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ddlooping/collection/
    Do you think I'll ever be able to catch-up with other F2P players who started months before me?
    I guess I could if I started dropping bucket-loads of money into the game, but I won't.

I'm not saying I'm not having fun, but I do get pargame's point and agree with him to a certain extent.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    MrGrips wrote: »
    Get a life

smh

@leef , your posts are tone-deaf and straight petty. Your roster is mega developed, youve probably been playing since near the launch of this game. F2P is not at all the same for newer players. They didnt get to camp out at level 70 or before raid gear, or before mods and just bide their time grinding comfortably and playing catch up for literally months. New players have to deal with having to get much more stuff with much less time. The goalposts are shifting before they reach them, unlike with you. Its worse. Stop acting like all F2P have as much luxury as you do.

First of all I've been playing since februari. Installed the game 14 februari to be exact. lvl cap was raised to lvl80 on 31march, so i didnt camp out at lvl 70.
    I'm not sure why you would call my posts tone-deaf and straight petty. I'm i wrong, is this game not f2p friendly? Doesn't this game provide a chance for all f2p players to be reasonably competative?

I'm aware that i got lucky with quite a few things during the time i've been playing swgoh. I only posted my swgoh.gg link because he asked for it. Doesn't mean i wouldnt have enjoyed the game if i ranked top100 in arena. Alot of players don't even finish top100, and they are still having fun. And let's be honest, it's not like there are many servers/leaderboards with more than 50 whales on it. If you're not in the top100, being f2p isn't the cause.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    ddlooping wrote: »
    There's something that most tend to not take into consideration when talking about F2P (MrGrips is the exception here).
    "When did one start playing?"

@Leef : I started playing about 5 weeks ago, do you think my experience of the game is the same as yours?
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ddlooping/collection/
    Do you think I'll ever be able to catch-up with other F2P players who started months before me?
    I guess I could if I started dropping bucket-loads of money into the game, but I won't.

I'm not saying I'm not having fun, but I do get pargame's point and agree with him to a certain extent.

Do you think your experience is different than mine when i was lvl 61?
    You don't need to catch-up with players who've been playing much longer than you have. You only compete with players who started around the same time as you did in arena. Obviously you won't catch up, neither will I, so I don't expect i'll do well in tournaments.
    Furthermore, you actually have the oppertunity to progress way faster than i did when i was lvl 61. I didnt have raids, i didnt have credits heist, i didnt have tournaments, i didnt have cheaper cantina refreshes, i didnt have bonus cantina energy. so there's that.
  • Options
    Well .. Its no fun to try out new things.. The only think which matters is a meta team of lando palps sthan qgj whatever.. There is 0 need to spread your rescources .. No need to play gw , no need to do anything.. Cuz the moment u got those 5 toons u are done.. Why should u start farming the toons u love, they are useless :D..
  • Options
    Good or bad f2p can no longer compete with p2w. I am one of the top (maybe?) f2p here and before mods game was balanced but whales weren't that happy with not having any clear advantage besides getting the toons faster (which is why I started playing).

Now with mods they have a clear and huge advantage over everyone else and f2p will never ever be able to compete vs their speed. Add into that the premium meta toons fac and rex and it I am literally fighting vs a pay wall in arena everyday.

There is still a ton of stuff and fun to do for f2p for sure but being at the top of any leaderboard or even near the top will not be happening anymore. I'm already out of GW toons to farm, almost done with arena toons and cantina toons are not a reason to play when you have to choose between trying to stay somewhat competive and actually doing something in game besides looking for plus 1 speed everyday.

Unfortuantly the game is heading to fast in the p2w direction. I am already scaling back my play time and I'm sure I'm not the only f2p who started last year that is doing that or is stil here. So pretty soon when people like me aren't here or can't keep up with speed on mods it'll simply become another whale vs whale game and those die quickly since everyone gets bored fast. I know for sure that if I spent thousands on a game that I better have some opponents to beat and not just fight the same few whales everyday. If I paid for fac or rex I wouldn't want to be fighting vs him in every team. I would want to fight f2p like me.
  • Options
    Fyi here is my profile so you know that I'm not kidding lol

https://swgoh.gg/u/warmonkeyy/
  • Options
    Ghaiks wrote: »
    Focus on your own achievements, don't compare to others so much.

That is what I want - that's why I think they should increase rewards for lower tiers in Arena and bring new toons in GW - so when I go in lower Arena rank to be able have fun.
    Sooner or later all F2P will go in lower Arena Rank because P2P toons is like a ticket to Arena top.
    that's ok - just give a chance for lower ranks to have fun.
    I mean for lvl 80 at lower rank

Your thought process is completely faulted.

We that have been here for a while went through the same stuff you new f2p players have, if not worse in some instances. Sure we had certain things a bit easier but you new f2p's get credit A LOT faster than we ever did.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    warmonkey wrote: »
    Fyi here is my profile so you know that I'm not kidding lol

https://swgoh.gg/u/warmonkeyy/

your average rank is #3. Seems to me you're doing great!
    i'm not a big fan of the speed secondary race either, but eventually f2p will catch up, even with speed secondary mods.
  • Options
    Its alot easier for a new F2P guy now than it is for an older shard f2p guy.
    Newer players don't compete vs older ones, except in the tournament, and well that was all kinds of poor implementation.

Its very, very easy as a f2p to hold out in the top 10 on a new shard.