Is there ANY fun for F2P left in this game?

Replies

• Options
    start a new account and see what it's like now vs then. Whole new world. Im new (just a week in) and none of the advice of older players makes too much sense, there are very few guides that are applicable, are kind of on your own.
  • Dhoey321
    1629 posts Member
    Options
    Toukai wrote: »
    @RenanFilipe
    F2p and you have b2? Uhhh .. I don't think so.

B2 is FTP.... i have Wedge and i'm FTP (with little money towards gear)
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Options
    pargame wrote: »
    holyjoe wrote: »
    lvl:80 Arena Power:38k Arena Rank: top 100

I am start thinking that the answer is NO. this game slowly converts into P2P game.
    To have a toon that matters at all it should be at least 6* g8

Let's have a quick preview of shard sources:
    Cantina - I think it is no longer F2P - you got mods to farm, drop rate is low.
    Cantina Shop - I think it has never been for F2P - max I get 1 purchase per day - 5 shards
    Arena Shipments - still F2P - I can get 10 shards per day
    GW - still F2P if there is anything to farm.

I am ok that P2P should have an advantage, so I will start thinking that my highest rank in Arena will be 100 or 200, 500.. but main problem is that if I fall in Arena rank crystals and Arena tokens that I will get will not be enough to have any progress so I will stop playing. And I think that other F2P will also stop playing when they reach such state...

I think that devs should take a little care about F2P - I think they should increase rewards in Arena for lower tiers and add new toons in GW(no need to be top toons but valuable)

there's your problem right there. your too competitive. you think the only time a toon counts is if they are 6* g8. i guess i should quit playing then because i only have a few toons that even come close or meet that requirement. i'll get there when i get there.

i'm not top dog either but you know what?? so what? i'm having fun farming the characters i enjoy at my own pace. and i'm f2p.

:smile: No - I am not too competitive - they are just useless if under 6* g8 - my enemies are just strong. I got Jawa 6* g8 no mods and it can take max 2 hits from easy team in GW.
    In general what I mean is that if they increase Arena crystal reward and add some toons in GW I can continue play same way even If/when I fall to rank 500 - I will have toon to farm and enough crystals for refreshes/raid gear... The upper ranks will have P2P OP toons and super mods and that is ok.
    If I was lvl 70 it is ok to be at 500 rank because toons are valuable at lower lvl/gear so player can get some progress, but if you are lvl80 you need these crystals to progress or it will take a very long time.
    newcomer lvl 80 is ok for now because they had just latest meta toons, but what when meta changed and should start to farm new toons... it can take forever now to get from 0 toon and farm it 7* from cantina..

It is an expensive process to chase the meta. If u r f2p, by the time u chase the meta, it will change and u will be stuck playing constant catch up. Pick 5 guys u like that have some synergy, focus, stay on target and u will reap the rewards.
  • Options
    start a new account and see what it's like now vs then. Whole new world. Im new (just a week in) and none of the advice of older players makes too much sense, there are very few guides that are applicable, are kind of on your own.

:smile: I know - when I started Cantina was best farming source, B2 did not exists now it is everywhere in levels and these nasty pirates, meta toons are changed.....
    if you feel better I will tell you that it is not much easier for us - just have some toons left which become useless and have to start farm/gear new..
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    dont want to go too much off a tangent but pokemon go is even more ftp friendly than this game so many pokestops in major cities theres no need to buy iap only to increase inventory limits. and pokego is making way more money than this game. its not the #1 grossing game mobilestrike is.

if we take the swgoh model to pokemon go:

charizard/snorlax/garydos candies for 320 coins
    limits on how many pokemons you can catch per day, would you like to catch more, 100 coins, going up to 1600 max
    even worse rng in stats and spawn locations
    modify your snorlax to be even faster than vaporeon for a lot of coins
    mewtwo as a prize in a tournament, whoever wins the most fights wins!

• Options
    whats your hurry?? i'm at level 78. i have one 7* toon and a few 6* toons. the rest are 5* or less. i do have a lot of g8 plus toons though. but i'm in no hurry. and i think i'm at rank 1000. not sure i don't pay attention. i just do the 3 arena battles to complete the daily activity.

you are right. Obviously everything depends on personal definition of "progress" and "too long".

neither term exists in my game. i just play game. some days i make progress other days not so much. some days i just do the dailies to get the rewards and nothing else. other days i work at getting the remaining shards and gear i need for my toons.

• MrGrips
    521 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    MrGrips wrote: »
    Get a life

smh

@leef , your posts are tone-deaf and straight petty. Your roster is mega developed, youve probably been playing since near the launch of this game. F2P is not at all the same for newer players. They didnt get to camp out at level 70 or before raid gear, or before mods and just bide their time grinding comfortably and playing catch up for literally months. New players have to deal with having to get much more stuff with much less time. The goalposts are shifting before they reach them, unlike with you. Its worse. Stop acting like all F2P have as much luxury as you do.

First of all I've been playing since februari. Installed the game 14 februari to be exact. lvl cap was raised to lvl80 on 31march, so i didnt camp out at lvl 70.
    I'm not sure why you would call my posts tone-deaf and straight petty. I'm i wrong, is this game not f2p friendly? Doesn't this game provide a chance for all f2p players to be reasonably competative?

I'm aware that i got lucky with quite a few things during the time i've been playing swgoh. I only posted my swgoh.gg link because he asked for it. Doesn't mean i wouldnt have enjoyed the game if i ranked top100 in arena. Alot of players don't even finish top100, and they are still having fun. And let's be honest, it's not like there are many servers/leaderboards with more than 50 whales on it. If you're not in the top100, being f2p isn't the cause.

@leef Reasonable post. I think F2P players before March or maybe up till May have had a great chance (maybe even too great) to be competitive. All saying is that, as time goes by, we're not gonna see F2P in the top ten anymore. a new F2P has to not only farm arena characters, but also mods, scoundrels, and a raid team as they level to 80. Spenders are going to have a larger advantage on said F2P, because in the past, they could only get a head start on shards and a little gear. Now they can get a head start on three or more areas than F2P. Raid Gear, Mods, Shards, Scoundrels, Event-Needed Chars, Raiding Chars. And before they get to level 80, or achieve any of these things theres a new feature out (for example, ships) that makes a new goalpost, adding more strain to F2P without a chance to catch up on anything.

Of course, if we want to argue that its okay for F2P to end up below rank 50 or 100, maybe thats fine? I guess it is for many F2P. But i do think we should make a distinction between Old F2P and young F2P because I cant see young F2P making the top of arena anymore, and we shouldnt assume they can anymore either. My shard has 40+ spenders and I rarely see F2P in the top 20, and never in the top 10. Im from may, it must be worse for people from even younger shards.
  • Options
    I'm lvl 72 rank 600 and something and I'm having lots of fun
  • Options
    I somewhat agree with the OP. I have been F2P since December. Super competitive shard. I actually hate my shard... it almost doesn't matter what time of day you attack someone, you are getting attacked back within 10-15 minutes. I have somewhat kept up by keeping in the top 50 of arena, sometimes top 20, and using those crystals for my farming. I used to be able to occasionally hit to 10, almost always finishing around 20. Since the Palpatine and Wiggs explosions, I am finding it difficult to stay in the top 50 now. And for me to farm Wiggs myself would completely end all of my other farms, not to mention the gear he needs. I heard he needs 2 sets of cuffs just to get to G9 and I need like 100 sets of cuffs as it is.

If I am only getting 100 crystals per day from arena, that greatly slows down the already slow progress I am making. So I definitely feel the influx of two very powerful P2P toons (or toons that are much easier for P2P to have at this moment) has absolutely affected my progress and also my enjoyment. There is no point in playing obsessive hours if you can't make any progress. Now we are going to get a now toon like ShoreTrooper in there which is only going to make it even more difficult.

Now throw in a **** 'tournament' like we just had that made me waste my valuable crystals, and now I have 3 days of nothing to catch up with. I know I know... my own fault for wasting crystals and wanting to actually play the new content.

So I accept it for what it is but I don't really think the OPs post is that invalid.

• Options
    Get a life

smh

@leef , your posts are tone-deaf and straight petty. Your roster is mega developed, youve probably been playing since near the launch of this game. F2P is not at all the same for newer players. They didnt get to camp out at level 70 or before raid gear, or before mods and just bide their time grinding comfortably and playing catch up for literally months. New players have to deal with having to get much more stuff with much less time. The goalposts are shifting before they reach them, unlike with you. Its worse. Stop acting like all F2P have as much luxury as you do.

Dude chill out, I'm f2p that just started 2 months ago... I'm easily staying top 5 in my arena and have a blast playing this game. Grinding is a huge part of this game for f2p, and it always will be. Accept it or move on and find another game stop hating on others man
  • Options
    ocxjacobb wrote: »
    Get a life

smh

Dude chill out, I'm f2p that just started 2 months ago... I'm easily staying top 5 in my arena and have a blast playing this game. Grinding is a huge part of this game for f2p, and it always will be. Accept it or move on and find another game stop hating on others man

Look, Im not even F2P, Im in the top 5 of my shard lately but thats because I spent money. Ive been seeing F2P drop out of the leaderboard more and more, and I know why. Its because there isnt time to catch up to the P2P between all the new features. Maybe you didnt realize this, but before you started playing F2P would get several months between each new feature to catch up to the whales, which they don't have now. Theres players who wont hit lvl 80 before ships or lvl 90 is released and meanwhile the whales have bought a good mod set, raid gear, scoundrels instead of just an arena team.

Tbh, I dont really even care that much if F2P can reach top ten or not. I just dislike all these people saying that a disciplined F2P can reach rank 1 in arena when I just havent seen that in my shard. Theres a distinction between young F2P and old F2P.

As for you being successful, thats great. I dont think you have a common case though. I dont hear often about new players doing well in arena as F2P, almost all the F2P on this forum who say that are old. Did you have to restart again and again to roll a good chromium roll, and then quickly get to the top of arena? Thats helpful but many F2P wont know to do that. You also might not have many whales on your shard, somehow. All im saying is that times are changing for F2P and I can see it on my May shard and its worse for newer players.
  • Options
    Achilles wrote: »
    @Those who say its a a lot easier as newbie now, because of raids, credit heist, etc ... Yes AND no ... of course, you can gain credits and gear faster, but with all the content available, you get frustrated a lot more.
    When i started the game, i did not have to care about raids, credit heist, droid smuggle, yoda, empire, ewok, jawa, blah-events ... all i had to look at was: GW and arena. Since arena did not attract me, i choice GW and was able to build a nice team for it. then they added the Yoda-event and i had the time to build a team for it, then came the raid and i got the time to build a team for it ... etc ...
    Now you start the game, reach a certain level and get flooded with events and challenges having faction-restrictions or just favored characters. For example how many ppl did level Teebo before Rancor raid? How many ppl had a full scoundrel team before credit heist? how many ppl had a full jawa team before mod-challenge (none, because 2 jawa came with it lol)? how many ppl had a full rebel team before emporer-event? Old player got the time to focus on something, while new players have to choice and get frustrated because its impossible to participate everywhere ... its not like the game is harder, its not, but it might be overloaded for newbies.

It's not really that bad.. yea you most likely won't be able to participate the first few times and event rolls around and that's OK but they always come back a second, and a third time and so on and by then if you don't have a team to be able to participate that's on you
  • Options
    Get a life

smh

On the contrary, I know new players that are having a blast with this game. We, who started in the beginning, see this game as a progression. A new player is literally overwhelmed with features, like a kid in a candy shoppe, minus the inherent negativity towards it as it is pre-existing to them. The noobs that I know are just having fun playing what they can play, advancing on LS and DS, getting further in Cantina, and slowly working towards GW and Arena payouts. If you are new to any game that has been around for a year, you have to expect to be behind the top players. This isn't a day 1, instant success type game. Most people who are new have a realistic idea of the amount of work it will take, the time investment, etc. With luck this game will be around next year, and those who have just started now will be at the same level as the seasoned players. If you see this as a responsibility, or way of life, I think you just set yourself up for the suffering that frustration and boredom bring. As a player who has been playing this from the very beginning, with no more characters to unlock from GW, Arena, or Cantina I'm just working on the things I still enjoy such as leveling my undeveloped toons, gearing up the weak ones, and farming for better mods. I still enjoy Arena, I shoot for top 10 every day, don't always make it, but that's ok. I still complete GW every day, it takes more than one team, as I feel it should. Cantina, LS, and DS farming is boring but necessary. I do it as fast as possibly and move on. The challenges need some rework, or more advanced levels, but are much needed for the goodies. Other than the primaries, I am in a good guild with excellent players, and we have fun. At the end of the day you play a game because it's fun, and that's the only reason. This game is a high investment of time and energy. If you are P2P you may shortcut some of this, but not all. If you are F2P, you just accept the fact it will take longer to get started, get new characters, etc. Given the negative tone of many of the people on this forum, I'd say the fun left them a long time ago. New players would be wise to ignore all the negativity and formulate their own opinions about new and old content. If this game were as bad as we are often led to believe it is, no one would be playing it. This is in no way a knock on people, but I do believe it all comes down to perspective. If you choose to see bad, you will only see bad.
  • Options
    Im not saying F2P dont or cant have fun. Thats obvious since the app is still getting downloads and revenue. This is what im saying:

F2P from december: Whales get to lvl 70 and get stuck there, f2p is behind. F2P gets a few months to catch up, they do. Raid gear is a thing, whales advance ahead, F2P catch up in a few months. Mods get released.. F2P can do more cantina mod farming since he already has a good roster. They can catch up. Credit heist comes out, F2P has an arena team already so he can afford to farm scoundrels (or already has them, its been months) and can catch up.

F2P from now: Has to do all of that as the same time while a whale can buy all of that. And before he finishes... new event, ships, whatever, gets released.

Im not saying you can or cant have fun, Im just saying theres a difference. We cant act like F2P can just make top 10 easy anymore, when before they COULD. Thats all im saying. Idc if F2P cant even make top 100, I just dont like people spreading mistruths.
  • Options
    ocxjacobb wrote: »
    Get a life

smh

Look, Im not even F2P, Im in the top 5 of my shard lately but thats because I spent money. Ive been seeing F2P drop out of the leaderboard more and more, and I know why. Its because there isnt time to catch up to the P2P between all the new features. Maybe you didnt realize this, but before you started playing F2P would get several months between each new feature to catch up to the whales, which they don't have now. Theres players who wont hit lvl 80 before ships or lvl 90 is released and meanwhile the whales have bought a good mod set, raid gear, scoundrels instead of just an arena team.

Tbh, I dont really even care that much if F2P can reach top ten or not. I just dislike all these people saying that a disciplined F2P can reach rank 1 in arena when I just havent seen that in my shard. Theres a distinction between young F2P and old F2P.

As for you being successful, thats great. I dont think you have a common case though. I dont hear often about new players doing well in arena as F2P, almost all the F2P on this forum who say that are old. Did you have to restart again and again to roll a good chromium roll, and then quickly get to the top of arena? Thats helpful but many F2P wont know to do that. You also might not have many whales on your shard, somehow. All im saying is that times are changing for F2P and I can see it on my May shard and its worse for newer players.

You're right about not hitting level 80 before the cap increase as I just hit 76 today lol but I have a solid arena team and scoundrel team as well, I was able to 3 star tier 3 of credit heist and training droids events.

As for not seeing a competitive f2p in your shard, I guess every shard is different. I have maybe like 4-5 noticeable whales and then add another maybe 10 or so that I suspect could be whales but I manage to stay competitive in between all of them.. not sure how long I'll be able to hold out tho as I've noticed I've been falling lower and lower overnight than I used to before.

And I actually got a pretty crappy chromium roll lol (Jedi Knight Guardian) but that didn't phase me I just kept on playing. I only leveled her in the beginning but haven't touched her since maybe like a week after I started playing.
  • Options
    Darth_Barf wrote: »
    Challenge: pick any 5 toons, the
    Ones You think are the worst and max them out in every way(gear, omegas, stars). Use them to the best of your ability and I promise you will do no worse than top 50 in ANY shard.
    Try it.

This.

Everyone complaining that f2p can't keep up doesn't understand you can't simultaneously farm a full roster, and stopping when you think they are "doing ok" to move to another character is completely crippling in the arena.

F2p cannot just stop on a dime or have a deeper roster, but if you pick your personal 5, and they somewhat are a realistically balanced team (tank, 2 attackers + 2) you'll easily keep up and get enough crystals for 2x2 recharges and some to spare.

Roll a new account right now with a standard wiggs setup, always max your arena 5, you'll get top 10 every single day. Same with rebels, or empire, or droids, tons of combinations. Even a cad bane, cup team can do it if you don't deviate.

• Options
    @SmokeyJoe320......no point in playing excessive hours for slow progress?? lol.....i log excessive hours each day for the fun of it and sometimes haven't made a bit of progress. i'm at level 78 and i haven't even finished the dark, light and cantina battles and i can't remember the last time i did mod battles, gotta finish them too. slow and steady wins the race. i'm in no hurry myself. i'm not even in the top 200 of my shard most of the time. i spend my time elsewhere. i hate the arena. worst part of the game if you ask me.
  • SmokeyJoe320
    931 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @SmokeyJoe320......no point in playing excessive hours for slow progress?? lol.....i log excessive hours each day for the fun of it and sometimes haven't made a bit of progress. i'm at level 78 and i haven't even finished the dark, light and cantina battles and i can't remember the last time i did mod battles, gotta finish them too. slow and steady wins the race. i'm in no hurry myself. i'm not even in the top 200 of my shard most of the time. i spend my time elsewhere. i hate the arena. worst part of the game if you ask me.

Come back in 10 months and tell me how you feel. I'm sure you'll enjoy simming 90% of the content and gettting less and less competitive everywhere else.

Seriously, at level 78 you actually still have content to play. I've been at 80 with all ls/DS battles done since June. There's not a lot to do once they are done except sim sim sim. And when they do release new content, it's a **** tournament like we just had, or the 'extremely rare' emporer event which I'm finally farmed for but won't come back for months.

Very down on this game right now.
  • Options

Come back in 10 months and tell me how you feel. I'm sure you'll enjoy simming 90% of the content and gettting less and less competitive everywhere else.

Seriously, at level 78 you actually still have content to play. I've been at 80 with all ls/DS battles done since June. There's not a lot to do once they are done except sim sim sim. And when they do release new content, it's a **** tournament like we just had, or the 'extremely rare' emporer event which I'm finally farmed for but won't come back for months.

i sim almost nothing ever as it is now. just a few things now and then that where hard to 3* to begin with.

i do all my challenges, i play all battles through when farming and very rarely even use the auto play feature.

i'm not competitive anywhere in the game already. i didn't touch the new tournament update and i only do my 3 arena battles for the daily activities.

i love the light and dark side battles. will probably go back and play them all again once i finish them. that is if they haven't added new by then. don't know if it's already in game but be great to fight in the emperor's throne room like the event.

i also think it would be cool to add the feature of selecting where you fight. like maybe a pvp event that is truly one on one and you pick the "arena".

• Options
    Money helps but whether or not you have a top 10 spot has more to do with a careful and lucky strategy than anything else.

If you assume 3,000 active daily players in the average shard (probably conservative) then getting a top 10 is so statistically rare that one wrong choice a month or two earlier on who to farm or poor gear into can easily keep you out of the top .001% or whatever on your shard. At least for a while.

If you're F2P and the last tournament bothers you that much think about the measly payout differences between what you got and the people spending 50+$ to get top spots got.

So you missed out on opening your wallet for the money vacuum? Who cares. The thing I enjoyed the most about it was not spending money on it.
  • Options
    F2Ps come and go.
    Whales will stay till mommy cuts the allowance or wives finally catch up to the draining bank account.
  • Options
    F2Ps come and go.
    Whales will stay till mommy cuts the allowance or wives finally catch up to the draining bank account.

:D
  • Options
    Yes, the problem is game is advancing too fast. Seems like yesterday we entered the Rex lead or Lando meta, now Wiggs, lvl 85 soon, gear 12, ships, new raid, pvp tournament, shoretrooper. There should be a period of accomodation so the f2p can be able to catch up!
  • Options
    I quit smokng cigarettes June 11 and spend less than half of what I saved quitting. I have caught a habit for this but the trick is to keep it manageable and don't try to chase the dragon as you'll never catch it. I but the 11 dollar bag a dope a day plan and at least I am not sick everyday playing this gamr. The 11 dollar 21 day bag a day plan is the best way to ease the pain, it's like just one fix but everyday for three weeks. Works aight.
  • Options
    100% free to play here and having so much fun. game since November.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/sl baruch spinoza/
  • Options

i sim almost nothing ever as it is now. just a few things now and then that where hard to 3* to begin with.

i do all my challenges, i play all battles through when farming and very rarely even use the auto play feature.

i'm not competitive anywhere in the game already. i didn't touch the new tournament update and i only do my 3 arena battles for the daily activities.

i love the light and dark side battles. will probably go back and play them all again once i finish them. that is if they haven't added new by then. don't know if it's already in game but be great to fight in the emperor's throne room like the event.

i also think it would be cool to add the feature of selecting where you fight. like maybe a pvp event that is truly one on one and you pick the "arena".

OK... that's cool. You would definitely be in the minority with the game play then but that's awesome if you can get fun out of replaying old levels or challenges. That doesn't do it for me anymore. I used to like GW but even that is the same thing every single day. I enjoy the mix up of new events and the feeling like I am progressing some place. It's completely stalled out over the past 1-2 months I feel. Stun guns and cuffs were never easy to come by but now the idea of saving up 1400 crystals to get one seems even worse since it is getting tougher and tougher to place high in arena. A switch up to my arena team might be needed but I would need to then gear up several other toons. Simply going from G9 to G10 usually requires multiples of the items I am just not getting. So it's become a bit of a drag for me. I wish I could play with your attitude actually.
  • Options
    i think you're wrong. This is still a very f2p friendly game. f2p players are spoiled in this game, and this is comming from an f2p player.

would you tell me what is your level and arena rank please?

Completely F2P and my rank is around 50. My arena team power is 42,500
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    F2Ps come and go.

Go a head tell my mom....

Just please leave my wife out of this, she scares me.
  • Options

OK... that's cool. You would definitely be in the minority with the game play then but that's awesome if you can get fun out of replaying old levels or challenges. That doesn't do it for me anymore. I used to like GW but even that is the same thing every single day. I enjoy the mix up of new events and the feeling like I am progressing some place. It's completely stalled out over the past 1-2 months I feel. Stun guns and cuffs were never easy to come by but now the idea of saving up 1400 crystals to get one seems even worse since it is getting tougher and tougher to place high in arena. A switch up to my arena team might be needed but I would need to then gear up several other toons. Simply going from G9 to G10 usually requires multiples of the items I am just not getting. So it's become a bit of a drag for me. I wish I could play with your attitude actually.

that is exactly how I feel
  • Options
    Are you guys in active T7 guilds? Mine raids every other day. That's a lot of free high level gear and credits every week.

Strongly recommend an active T7 guild to anybody who wants to be competitive in this game, and it's probably close to a necessity to be competitive F2P.