Making Squad Tournaments Interesting and Fun

Replies

• Options
    Snork_Solo wrote: »
    Wait. How many of those new events are Android only? Or will EA/CG wait until the event launches before informing us lowly iOS players that we can't participate?

I don't think any of the upcoming events are Android only.

The OP was merely point that a free 6*/7* rebel droid character will be really useful for the upcoming events that require rebels, droids or a large pool of toons (mainly 6/7*)

However, I agree with @Leef when he said that one character probably won't make a huge difference to the tournament rankings
  • Options
    Yes there is a few that really enjoy them (not me). Spacing them out would be better. Looking at the events calander they have a lot of pvp bunched up and then some pve. Mixing them up a bit might help.
    I hate these new timesinks called Tb/tw. Annoying features.
  • Brodaisback
    114 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Kyleslater wrote: »
    Yes there is a few that really enjoy them (not me). Spacing them out would be better. Looking at the events calander they have a lot of pvp bunched up and then some pve. Mixing them up a bit might help.

I haven't come across a single person that likes them
  • Options
    Snork_Solo wrote: »
    Wait. How many of those new events are Android only? Or will EA/CG wait until the event launches before informing us lowly iOS players that we can't participate?

I don't think any of the upcoming events are Android only.

The OP was merely point that a free 6*/7* rebel droid character will be really useful for the upcoming events that require rebels, droids or a large pool of toons (mainly 6/7*)

However, I agree with @Leef when he said that one character probably won't make a huge difference to the tournament rankings

While i am not a fan of K2S0 Nore do I really care that android got him free and ios didn't (because apple is cheap) it is true that droid gets an extra toon for unlocking palp. While it may not be optimal it is a 7* so increases chance if you didn't farm enough ahead of time. I know I (iOS) will be lucky to unlock palp as I only have 5 rebel toons over 5*. 2 are 5* so I won't be maxing palp mearly unlocking I think the rest are 7*. Do I think this should be remedied? Not really. I'm currently working harder at aiming to be ready for the droid event... Farming up B2... Because that is a realistic goal. I'll aim to have a full 7* roster for next time the palp event comes around in 5 months. BTW I started after this ewok event apparently cause I never seen it.
  • Options
    I enjoy them. They're a nice treat, something different with good stakes.

But that's the thing--they're treats. Treats are great because they're different from ordinary fare and they're rare. When you have THIS MANY tournaments they stop being special. They become too much of a good thing.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    This isn't a "it's not fair" complaint. The way the AI procs, dodges, and hits so much more efficiently than the user isn't unfair, because on defense our toons and ships do the exact same thing.

My problem with it is that it makes the game less fun to play. I can go entire mornings without landing Target Lock, despite running both Tie Fighters with Biggs, while my opponent gets them roughly on 30-50% of their shots. I'd rather see my ships work as they were designed to work. Please, consider eliminating, or at least reducing, whatever handicap the AI receives.

P.S.: Last night's update was excellent (hoping it encourages my guild to participate more!), thanks devs.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    I enjoy them. They're a nice treat, something different with good stakes.

But that's the thing--they're treats. Treats are great because they're different from ordinary fare and they're rare. When you have THIS MANY tournaments they stop being special. They become too much of a good thing.

Solid discussion point. You have to pick and choose now which one to even enter because you will not have enough ally points. Especially with ship blueprints in GW now.
  • Options
    At least they're only 24 hours long now.
  • Kyleslater
    438 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Kyleslater wrote: »

I haven't come across a single person that likes them

I've seen a few and have about 8 guildies that like it and do well with it. the rest of us are in the can't do well so don't bother catagory. I just hate taking away something that even say 20% of the gamers actually enjoy. I'd rather see something run in conjunction that was favorable to those not tournament friendly... I dunno Like offer 1 extra unlock on GW for 40k tokens but only if you are not entered in the thourny and that blocks tourny entrance. 40k might be a bit low... maybe 70k?

edit... Those ally tokens we earn over 6k a day so 70k is earnable in less then 2 weeks. We would need warning that this would be running alongside tourneys but could be a viable option. While it's not new or exciting it could be a none tournament exclusive using the same tokens. Hopefully meaning EA/CG could have their cake and eat it too. IE earn money and make the game great.
  • Options
    I enjoy them. You can play as much as you want, however you want, whoever you want until you run out of ally points. You don't have to worry about teams you use becoming your defensive teams, so you can try out all types of lineups. The rewards I get from tournaments are greater than what I would have gotten pressing 'buy again' over and over opening bronzium packs.

If you don't like them, don't do them. But don't try stop it for everyone else.
  • Options
    StarSon wrote: »

What's so funny to me about this comment is that it's true, but it's a stark reminder that regardless of the length of time there are still so many aspects of tournaments that are not liked. In other words, if I had to choose between 24 hrs and 48+ hrs of agony I'll choose the 24 hr version - but where's the choose for no agony?
  • Options
    oofalong wrote: »

What's so funny to me about this comment is that it's true, but it's a stark reminder that regardless of the length of time there are still so many aspects of tournaments that are not liked. In other words, if I had to choose between 24 hrs and 48+ hrs of agony I'll choose the 24 hr version - but where's the choose for no agony?

Well, the choice for no agony is to set your defense team so you register for base rewards and then to not play.
  • Brodaisback
    114 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    oofalong wrote: »

Well, the choice for no agony is to set your defense team so you register for base rewards and then to not play.

I'm asking for a better way to obtain new toons that doesn't require hours of fruitless game play when only 1 player out of thousands can get the toon 7*.
  • Options
    the tourney is not very fun at all.
  • Options
    Agreed. They seemed like a good idea - but are poorly structured, highly dependent on what shard you are lucky enough (or unlucky) to end up on and they are a mind-numbingly boring time sink of you want to get anything worthwhile out of them.

Of all the events, tournaments have the worst ROI in terms of time spent....and nothing is really close.

They should either rework them or do away with them completely.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Dhoey321
    1629 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It was a great idea until they said, "hey let's make them spend a bunch of time and crystals in the game in such a small amount of time!"

Then they said, "Hey if we can't get them to spend crystals on it lets just make them waste all their valuable time for days!"

This EVENT is NOT a Tournament. It is a timed race to see who can get as many points as possible in a certain amount of time and it's complete crepe.

Until they limit the amount of attacks per day and give rewards based on the wins this will not a be a tournament.
    Post edited by ShaolinPunk on
  • Options

That's really not a viable choice given the rewards and toons awarded in the tourney...

• Options
    the tourneys where annoying to me quite much so far, but this time i have hope to enjoy it a little more because according to actual information it is a single day event with no refreshes so you dont have to fight up, go to sleep and get angry next morning again and again...
    The sound of a TIE Fighter engine was created by combining an elephant bellow and a car driving on wet pavement.
  • Options
    I still maintain that crystals were better for tournaments. I spent 50 crystals over three days to get the same place I needed 50k ally points to get.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Well, you could always drop $100 on the pack and unlock the characters that way.. not saying it's a smart thing to do but there is an alternative. Yes, tournaments suck.. people do them because they feel they have to, not because they want to. But the only other thing the devs would do is put the characters in packs in slot machine style and make you spend who knows how much to get them (which they do anyway after the tournament ends). But at least the tournaments give you a way to obtain them for free, assuming you have the time, patience, and ally points to pull it off.
  • Options
    Dhoey321 wrote: »
    It was a great idea until they said, "hey let's make them spend a bunch of time and crystals in the game in such a small amount of time!"

Then they said, "Hey if we can't get them to spend crystals on it lets just make them waste all their valuable time for days!"

This EVENT is NOT a Tournament. It is a timed race to see who can get as many points as possible in a certain amount of time and it's complete ****.

Until they limit the amount of attacks per day and give rewards based on the wins this will not a be a tournament.

+100
  • Options
    ThunderGun wrote: »
    Well, you could always drop $100 on the pack and unlock the characters that way.. not saying it's a smart thing to do but there is an alternative. Yes, tournaments suck.. people do them because they feel they have to, not because they want to. But the only other thing the devs would do is put the characters in packs in slot machine style and make you spend who knows how much to get them (which they do anyway after the tournament ends). But at least the tournaments give you a way to obtain them for free, assuming you have the time, patience, and ally points to pull it off.

Time, patients, ally points, money, .... for. 4* toon that can't get higher unless you spend thousands on chromiums....
  • Options
    It's just RNG, and we are much better at remembering when it went against us, rather than for us. If you flip a coin and it lands on tails 4 times in a row, the coin isn't broken. Same thing i'm afraid. Sucks when it happens to you though.
  • Options
    The only thing I've found good about the tournaments is using them as a testing ground for new arena team ideas. Other than that they are a waste of time.
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader
  • Options
    ThunderGun wrote: »

Time, patients, ally points, money, .... for. 4* toon that can't get higher unless you spend thousands on chromiums....

Yep, and this is why tournaments have eroded my attachment to the game. I can't get any new toons to 7 or even 6 star, so I end up caring less about the game. I've put a lot into the game so this is actually a good thing for me.. not so much for CG
  • Options
    Tournaments would be okay if they were a once-a-month type thing with the same characters appearing as rewards consistently, so people who get half the shards one month can get the rest another month, instead of just having 25-odd useless shards in your inventory.

However, most new characters shouldn't be released in tourneys. Either release them in the regular event style (like Yoda, K-2, EP, etc.), put them straight into shipments or battles, or put them in the login rewards if they're not important or particularly strong. And if you've gotta put them into a pack, make it one that costs crystals, not real money.
  • Naw
    969 posts Member
    Options
    tabberkev wrote: »
    It's just RNG, and we are much better at remembering when it went against us, rather than for us.

You don't seriously think that the AI is not favored? We don't play certain toons because they are crap in our hands, yet in GW e.g. Luminara's evasion actually works for the AI. This is indisputable.
    If you flip a coin and it lands on tails 4 times in a row, the coin isn't broken. Same thing i'm afraid. Sucks when it happens to you though.

It is never happening to us, okay?
  • lukeroks
    304 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Luminara leads crazy on defense and have you ever come across old daka her unique revives all the time if you don't kill her first, I used her in GW and I saw her revive and I was shocked because I'd forgotten she even had a unique.
  • Options
    I don't know if tournaments will be affect or not. But having an edge in 3/3 of the next month events would be nice for all players.