Making Squad Tournaments Interesting and Fun

Replies

• Options
    Tournaments would be okay if they were a once-a-month type thing with the same characters appearing as rewards consistently, so people who get half the shards one month can get the rest another month, instead of just having 25-odd useless shards in your inventory.

However, most new characters shouldn't be released in tourneys. Either release them in the regular event style (like Yoda, K-2, EP, etc.), put them straight into shipments or battles, or put them in the login rewards if they're not important or particularly strong. And if you've gotta put them into a pack, make it one that costs crystals, not real money.

If we could cantina them for sure 3 months later it would not be such a bad thing. But not knowing this can make this many new tournament release characters rather annoying to the tournament failers like myself.
    I hate these new timesinks called Tb/tw. Annoying features.
  • Options
    They need to change them to events like Yoda and Palp. 8 waves or whatever.
  • RancorPackGuild
    1363 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I just spent 186K on Bronzium.

Results

Full Character Hoth Rebel Scout
    (One of a couple characters I had left too yet unlock)
    3 sets of 7 Clone Commander
    2 sets of 7 Jedi Concular
    1 sets of 15 Ewok Elder
    3 sets of 7 IG 86
    1 sets of (32 or 34) Boba Fet
    1 set of 7 Royal Guard
    3 sets of 15 Jedi Knight Guardian
    1 set of 7 Ewok Scout
    1 set of 15 Biggs Darklighter
    1 set of 15 IG-100 MagnaGuard
    1 set of 15 Ahsoko Tano

In addition too roughly 30 individual for those plus General Veers, Stormtrooper, Old Daka, Urrorrroorreeeeror (lol however it is spelled), and others.

Many I had 7 stars already but it left me with a happy 1.5M credit deficit in Characters too level.

Tons of Gear I used and tons more to share too my guild. Many droids and about 30K in credits.

Now if I played 1 Tournament I would have maybe cleared 20 new character shards and what 500K credits?

You tell me what you think was the better choice.
  • Options

Results

Full Character Hoth Rebel Scout
    (One of a couple characters I had left too yet unlock)
    3 sets of 7 Clone Commander
    2 sets of 7 Jedi Concular
    1 sets of 15 Ewok Elder
    3 sets of 7 IG 86
    1 sets of (32 or 34) Boba Fet
    1 set of 7 Royal Guard
    3 sets of 15 Jedi Knight Guardian
    1 set of 7 Ewok Scout
    1 set of 15 Biggs Darklighter
    1 set of 15 IG-100 MagnaGuard
    1 set of 15 Ahsoko Tano

In addition too roughly 30 individual for those plus General Veers, Stormtrooper, Old Daka, Urrorrroorreeeeror (lol however it is spelled), and others.

Many I had 7 stars already but it left me with a happy 1.5M credit deficit in Characters too level.

Tons of Gear I used and tons more to share too my guild. Many droids and about 30K in credits.

Now if I played 1 Tournament I would have maybe cleared 20 new character shards and what 500K credits?

How long did it take to spend that much at once lol
  • Options

Now if I played 1 Tournament I wluld have maybe cleared 20 new character shards and what 500K credits?

I got a full furnace and a some stun cuffs last tournament finishing 88th. Beats anything I'd ever get out of a bronzium pack.

• Options
    About an hour. I took breaks lol
  • Options
    Galdin_Wan wrote: »

Now if I played 1 Tournament I wluld have maybe cleared 20 new character shards and what 500K credits?

I got a full furnace and a some stun cuffs last tournament finishing 88th. Beats anything I'd ever get out of a bronzium pack.
    You didn't place 4400th though... People that place in that range are much better off spending their tokens on bronzium and not entering the tournament till the last 5 minutes.
    I hate these new timesinks called Tb/tw. Annoying features.
  • crzydroid
    7383 posts Moderator
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I do really enjoy the tournaments. Although obviously a lot of people that don't are very vocal about it, and I imagine on 80-85 shards where it's difficult for non-whales to score high it can be quite frustrating. At the same time, I don't understand people asking for them to stop. The tournaments are completely optional, as are all events (or any of the game content, for that matter). No one is forcing you to play in the tournament...if it's 24-48 hours of agony for you, you don't have to play. Just set your defense squad, maybe play a few fights with the free refresh, and get some free low-level rewards. I actually think it's better that the tournaments are coming frequently, because I see that as a way to release obligation from playing them. You can pick and choose which tournament to put your resources into. For example, I will be on vacation for Cassian Andor, so I know I can afford to go all out on Jyn. And let's not forget that the Devs just released the total event schedule (with required units for omega battles) through January. That's a huge benefit to the players and an answer to everyone asking for more communication on that sort of thing.

All that being said, I could get behind a reformat that is not based on refreshes. Maybe if you have five battles, and it shows you your possible matches, and once you set defense you are committed to those five. No or limited refreshes, but it shows you your upcoming battles, so you have the flexibility of setting counters to each of the individual squads. If you win those five, the next day you move onto a higher bracket with the other winners (with all characters refreshed), and the same set up...but no commitment to participate unless you set a defense squad. You don't lose rewards for winning the previous bracket.
  • Options
    Makes it hard for light spenders and f2p to add new characters for raiding since it's hard to get all of these characters to 7 star. And I agree, they're not fun...it's the same Wiggs comps over and over with the occasional droid team to pick on using Han Solo.
  • Options
    Again they are play to win... it's not who is the best player or who has the best squad. It's who could be bothered to save up the most ally points.

Until teams become non-revivable these tournaments are pointless
  • Options
    Kyleslater wrote: »

You didn't place 4400th though... People that place in that range are much better off spending their tokens on bronzium and not entering the tournament till the last 5 minutes.

Well that is the thing too. I can still enter the tournament as well and get a basic awards package by playing my free roster. If I played full bore I would not make top 500 with my team in a level 80+ Shard so I feel it was the better thing. I can use my Shard Shop points for gear as well.
  • Options
    How long before this thread gets deleted!

Still the advantage just keeps getting bigger. Having a 5th rebel for free is going to get a lot of Android users EP in the next event as well as more rewards in the Empire event. The bottle neck in getting 5 Rebel is in the arena shipments where you need to farm Leia, Akbar and/or STH. I would have had a 7* EP last time but couldn't get the 5th Rebel to 7*. Say what you want about KSO but EP is a game changer especially in newer shards.

Again big advantage granted by EA not Google. I doubt the Android Execs that approved this event know the game well enough to figure this out but then again maybe the Devs here don't either.
  • Options
    Bronziums are for building a wide team.
    Raid gear is for building a tall team.

Both are necessary.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    I enjoy them. You can play as much as you want, however you want, whoever you want until you run out of ally points. You don't have to worry about teams you use becoming your defensive teams, so you can try out all types of lineups. The rewards I get from tournaments are greater than what I would have gotten pressing 'buy again' over and over opening bronzium packs.

If you don't like them, don't do them. But don't try stop it for everyone else.

The question os not the wast of ally points, but the fact that the characters could be unlock on other types of events, like Yoda or Palp events.
  • Options
    JediHunter wrote: »
    Again they are play to win... it's not who is the best player or who has the best squad. It's who could be bothered to save up the most ally points.

Until teams become non-revivable these tournaments are pointless
    The worse part is that it's all of what you said (which is more than enough negative reasons) AND, on top of all that - it comes down to what shard you were lucky enough to land on.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • RancorPackGuild
    1363 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Actually just purchased my first Baze Malbus 5 shards and have enough for a raid gear. Cleared around 850 in Shard Shop Credit. Was already around 600 in it so sitting at just over 350 right now.

The tournament gives raid gear in lower levels too. Not as much. But some.
  • Options

I enjoy them. You can play as much as you want, however you want, whoever you want until you run out of ally points. You don't have to worry about teams you use becoming your defensive teams, so you can try out all types of lineups. The rewards I get from tournaments are greater than what I would have gotten pressing 'buy again' over and over opening bronzium packs.

If you don't like them, don't do them. But don't try stop it for everyone else.

The question os not the wast of ally points, but the fact that the characters could be unlock on other types of events, like Yoda or Palp events.

Well when I started playing these characters would have been in Aurorium packs, completely locked behind a pay wall, with no chance of getting them at all. At least I have Shoretrooper or Chirrut if I'm a collector, heck you can use a four star Shoretrooper in arena.

At least this way you have a legitimate shot at getting a new character, and it doesn't cost you anything but ally points, or GW points.

• Options
    And I bet he is a pilot or copilot of Cassian uwing
  • Options
    l2edLeader wrote: »
    How long before this thread gets deleted!

Still the advantage just keeps getting bigger. Having a 5th rebel for free is going to get a lot of Android users EP in the next event as well as more rewards in the Empire event. The bottle neck in getting 5 Rebel is in the arena shipments where you need to farm Leia, Akbar and/or STH. I would have had a 7* EP last time but couldn't get the 5th Rebel to 7*. Say what you want about KSO but EP is a game changer especially in newer shards.

Again big advantage granted by EA not Google. I doubt the Android Execs that approved this event know the game well enough to figure this out but then again maybe the Devs here don't either.

If you have K2SO at a level anywhere near high enough to compete in the event, you would already have to have a strong 7* fully geared team (likely, rebels) - as you could not complete the higher end tiers of the event without Wiggs + Lando. So it's not really a game changer for the EP event.

Most people I have talked to could only complete enough K2 tiers to unlock him about a star level below their strongest toons. Except for those of us with 7* g10 rebel teams - we could complete all the tiers - so were able to get a 7* K2....but I already have a 7* Palp.

My point is simply that the people who have a roster strong enough to get K2SO at any significant star level, would more than likely have a roster that either could, or already has, obtained EP. K2SO isn't really a factor.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    I unlocked him without using wiggs and lando.
  • Options
    Roguebun wrote: »
    So android users got a free character that will help them with 3 of the new upcoming events???? Droid will help with attack of the droids. Rebel will help with military might and emporers demise.....

Once again....it is a android special given by google to support thier many many contributors. Apple did nothing for thier contributors, so once again blame apple not Android, google, or EA/CG. If you are unhappy email Apple and switch to android, if not quit complaining with theses stupid posts.
  • Options
    xReDeMpx wrote: »
    EasyRight wrote: »
    You guys got some stuff this year too. The Ewok thing gave iOs users a huge advantage back in the summer. I am surprised that they didnt give you all CassianAndor tho. I thought theyd treat it like the FO Trooper/ResistanceTrooper thing last year when Ep.8 released...one for each side. Im sure something is coming & itll trump this K-bot. So far he blows, so youre not missing much

Lollllll once again free shards dosent equal an exclusive toon that the other side can't get especially with a tournament to unlock synergy with that cassian and you know YOUR exclusive toon on top of giving an advantage because of rebels on military might emperors demise and the tourney but you're right we aren't missing much

Man people can't see the big picture

Seriously? Some guys may have received stuff this year. I only joined after the Ewok event so the only free stuff would be Wedge (who was already maxed) and his ship.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Olga wrote: »
    I unlocked him without using wiggs and lando.

That's not the point - is the level you unlocked him at strong enough for you to use him in the EP event?

• Options
    One of the biggest problems is each tournament it's the same group that are winning and getting stronger. The whole point of events is to benefit those who have concentrated on a specific squad e.g. a droid event or a rebel event, etc.

What would be interesting would be if each tournament allowed you to only use certain factions.

These tournaments are essentially just a global pvp arena (which doesn't make sense since you are competing against players that have been playing for months more than you)
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yeah, he is 7*. I still have the last 2 tiers left for today which I should probably do for shard currency. Not sure if I can be bothered though lol. And yeah, should be strong enough. 8404 atm, will be G10 by tomorrow probably.
  • Options
    Roguebun wrote: »
    I don't know if tournaments will be affect or not. But having an edge in 3/3 of the next month events would be nice for all players.

If you need k2SO to complete any of the 3 events you reference, you probably aren't getting those event done anyway. Good grief man. Pretty sure he won't get it done vs emperor, and if you don't have 5 rebels already ready from last time, then there is no help for you. Stop trying to find reasons to cry about apple not giving you free stuff.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yeah, he is 7*. I still have the last 2 tiers left for today which I should probably do for shard currency. Not sure if I can be bothered though lol. And yeah, should be strong enough. 8404 atm, will be G10 by tomorrow probably.

Let me ask it this way - will he be strong enough that you will use him instead of other Rebels in the event? For most people I have talked to, the answer is an easy "no" - there could be exceptions, of course.

• Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah, probably. My Rebels are Akbar G10, Leia G10, STH G10 (probs G11 by the event), Lando G9 (that's why I don't use him much but probs G10 by the event), and Hoth Rebel Scout G8. I love my Hoth Rebel Scout, but he is the weak link in the group atm, and I will probably just have K2S0 on that spot instead, though I will try to get him G10 too because I love him.
  • Options
    Never said that he would be make or break I stated that he would give android players an EDGE but it seems reading details isn't really your strong suit. There are thousands upon thousands of players of this game. Having an advantage WILL have an impact on a number of those. That number isn't know to us.
  • Options
    Yeah, probably. My Rebels are Akbar G10, Leia G10, STH G10 (probs G11 by the event), Lando G9 (that's why I don't use him much but probs G10 by the event), and Hoth Rebel Scout G8. I love my Hoth Rebel Scout, but he is the weak link in the group atm, and I will probably just have K2S0 on that spot instead, though I will try to get him G10 too because I love him.

But this is my point precisely. HRS would also work in the event if you focused him to G10 - you are simply choosing K2SO because you like him better - and that's cool. But it's not giving you any advantage - your team would take down the event easily anyway (your team is stronger than the team I used last time).

I rest my case. ;)