Why do we hate Rebels so much(TV show)

Replies

• Options
    Characters are terribly cliche,

Ahh, yes. As opposed to stunning new tropes, such as "the farmboy with a great destiny", "the scoundrel", "the sassy princess" and "the wise old man", completely invented by Lucas 40 years ago!
    The first couple seasons were horribly kid friendly

Good thing we had to wait until we were in our 20's to enjoy the mature themes of Star Wars...

I really think if you hate Rebels, you aren't an actual fan of the Star Wars OT. If it came out today you might give Empire a pass (so dark and edgy man!) but you'd be **** about everything else.

Some people are bitter old grumps who just want kids off their Star Wars lawn, forgetting how they were introduced to the saga.
  • Options
    Supercat wrote: »
    Characters are terribly cliche, light saber design, the rework or a lot of canon (something I'm bitter about with Star Wars as a whole, not necessarily rebels).

The first couple seasons were horribly kid friendly as opposed to clone wars which could also appeal to adults (im 27). But I'll admit I've seen a few newer episodes and I can at least watch without getting bored.

I think the idea of inquisitors is just **** and they are bath vey forgettable and I never felt like they had the gravitas of a true sith or enemy figure.

Maul- he should be dead. Let it go! Also a Star Wars as a whole problem, not rebels exactly

It's bad.

Other points:
    1. Why does Sabine, an unaccomplished, fail "mandolorian" get the DarkSaber (which maul had)?
    2. Why do they always win?
    3. Why are the empire dumb?
    4. Why does Ahsoka fight for the rebels even though she said she has no side??????????????
    5. Why did they canonize clone mindchips?
    6. Why was trash in rouge one?
    7. When will Disney get an original idea?
    8. When will Sith Lord Jar Jar actually be used (much better than what they currently do)
    9. A lightSABER cannot fire BLASTER bolts.
    10. KANAN isn't a JEDI, he is a PADAWAN.

1. Why not?
    2. Story telling. Plus it's for kids.
    3. Because they always are.
    4. Ahsoka has always been one of the good guys?!
    5. Idk, why not?
    6. It's rogue one
    7. Nc
    8. What?
    9. Why not? The technology of a lightsaber is bogus anyway. And the hilt is clearly modified.. Makes perfect sense within the sw universe
    10. When all the jedi are dead, a padawan more than qualifies. Hardly any room for traditional ceremonies when, you know, everyone is dead.
  • Options
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Characters are terribly cliche, light saber design, the rework or a lot of canon (something I'm bitter about with Star Wars as a whole, not necessarily rebels).

The first couple seasons were horribly kid friendly as opposed to clone wars which could also appeal to adults (im 27). But I'll admit I've seen a few newer episodes and I can at least watch without getting bored.

I think the idea of inquisitors is just **** and they are bath vey forgettable and I never felt like they had the gravitas of a true sith or enemy figure.

Maul- he should be dead. Let it go! Also a Star Wars as a whole problem, not rebels exactly

It's bad.

Other points:
    1. Why does Sabine, an unaccomplished, fail "mandolorian" get the DarkSaber (which maul had)?
    4. Why does Ahsoka fight for the rebels even though she said she has no side??????????????
    8. When will Sith Lord Jar Jar actually be used (much better than what they currently do)

1. Finders keepers
    2. Because its a children's TV show and it has to go on
    3. Only until season 3
    4. Because she still does what she thinks is right
    5. Because order 66 makes absolutely no sense in the prequels (and they were already canon bc of CW)
    6. Dont know what you're saying
    7. They stick to what people have liked in the past. But there are still plenty of original characters.
    8. Dont be a troll
    9. Says who? You dont get to complain about disney not having original ideas then complain when they add something new. Pick one
    10. Yes, kanan wasn't a jedi knight when the order fell and it makes him an interesting character. When hes teaching ezra he makes mistakes because he isnt some jedi master. Hes just a run of the mill jedi without crazy special abilities. This makes him an engaging character. Even if you dont like him, i fail to see how mentioning a fact about his character is a criticism of the show.

1. Maul had it
    2. So, TCW was a children's show, as were the movies and they killed people
    3. Can't do it for two seasons and expect me to watch 3
    4. If she did what she thinks is right she would fight the Sith, not wage a war
    5. Makes total sense, clones were trained to follow orders
    6. Trash (rebels) is in rouge one
    7. Maul and the dark saber make 0 sense, they should invent new chars and stop copying
    8. How am I trolling? Jar Jar is a Sith Lord
    9. Because it's a terrible idea. If it could, the kaiburrr crystals should run out of energy quickly from firing it all away
    10. Because they call him a JEDI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    Because it's for kids and people refuse to accept thungs that are made for any age cohort other than their own.

Nevermind, of course, that every single piece of Star Wars has been for kids, and that they liked it when they were kids...

You said movies and TCW were made for kids, yet Rebels is too but is still trash.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Bossk_Hogg wrote: »
    Characters are terribly cliche,

Ahh, yes. As opposed to stunning new tropes, such as "the farmboy with a great destiny", "the scoundrel", "the sassy princess" and "the wise old man", completely invented by Lucas 40 years ago!
    The first couple seasons were horribly kid friendly

Good thing we had to wait until we were in our 20's to enjoy the mature themes of Star Wars...

I really think if you hate Rebels, you aren't an actual fan of the Star Wars OT. If it came out today you might give Empire a pass (so dark and edgy man!) but you'd be **** about everything else.

Some people are bitter old grumps who just want kids off their Star Wars lawn, forgetting how they were introduced to the saga.

+1

This is why everyone on the forums liked rogue one so much. Because it validated their love of a children's fantasy series and they didnt have to feel ashamed of enjoying it.
  • Options
    Mad that a kid show is geared towards kids

Lol
  • Options
    Show these people season 2 finale and the most recent episode that aired in season three. They'll change their tune:)

Clone wars still beats it by miles though
  • Options

It's bad.

Other points:

1. Why not?
    5. Idk, why not?
    6. It's rogue one
    7. Nc
    8. What?
    9. Why not? The technology of a lightsaber is bogus anyway. And the hilt is clearly modified.. Makes perfect sense within the sw universe
    10. When all the jedi are dead, a padawan more than qualifies. Hardly any room for traditional ceremonies when, you know, everyone is dead.

1. Cause maul would wreck sabine
    2. TCW and others were for kids but adults still like them
    3. General Veers, Tarkin...
    4. But she in Rebels said she won't fight for any side, then proceeds to fight for a side
    5. Can argue what you said
    6. True
    7. ...
    8. Sith Lord Jar Jar
    9. Because it is firing to essence of the crystal away
    10. Yoda, kenobi, Ahsoka (sort of) Anakin (sort of), Mace(obviously)
  • Options
    swgohfan29 wrote: »
    Why? (Other than the helicopter lightsabers which i admit is terrible)

slap-gif-14.gif
  • Options
    I remember an awful lot of similar rabble rabble back when CW started.

The first two seasons of CW are rough, they're pretty cartoony (portrayal of Grevious is super cartoony). But the show grew legs and got a lot better.

You'll just have to be patient, or let it be, if you don't like Rebels.
  • Unimatrix010
    483 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

It's bad.

Other points:

1. Why not?
    5. Idk, why not?
    6. It's rogue one
    7. Nc
    8. What?

4. But she in Rebels said she won't fight for any side, then proceeds to fight for a side
    6. True
    7. ...
    8. Sith Lord Jar Jar

9. But it's a modified hilt. I'd assume it has your standard power cell to power the blaster part just added to the traditional lightsaber parts. Why is that so hard to imagine for you? It's a cool idea and shows some creativity. If we should get mad about lightsabers, then let's get mad about the helicopter nonsense.
    10. Don't take it so literally. The order of the order (haha) is destroyed, we can agree on that much?
  • Options
    I kind of let me kid watch whatever. He's got a bunch of shows I really can't stand (That effing King Julien one.... ****, I feel a weird, yet profound hate for Lemurs). He doesn't watch Rebels but has watched Clone Wars to death. My sample size here is minuscule. But don't throw a sheet over the discussion just because you think it's grumpier old men shaking their fists.

Sometimes, a show, even when it's about a subject you love... that show can still be bad, low budget, and not worth watching.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

It's bad.

Other points:

1. Finders keepers
    3. Only until season 3
    5. Because order 66 makes absolutely no sense in the prequels (and they were already canon bc of CW)
    7. They stick to what people have liked in the past. But there are still plenty of original characters.
    8. Dont be a troll
    9. Says who? You dont get to complain about disney not having original ideas then complain when they add something new. Pick one
    10. Yes, kanan wasn't a jedi knight when the order fell and it makes him an interesting character. When hes teaching ezra he makes mistakes because he isnt some jedi master. Hes just a run of the mill jedi without crazy special abilities. This makes him an engaging character. Even if you dont like him, i fail to see how mentioning a fact about his character is a criticism of the show.

1. Maul had it
    7. Maul and the dark saber make 0 sense, they should invent new chars and stop copying
    9. Because it's a terrible idea. If it could, the kaiburrr crystals should run out of energy quickly from firing it all away

If you saw someone with force powers and use a lightsaber wouldn't you call him a jedi? And he also became a jedi knight.

and sabine took the darksaber because maul left without it..

And about the clones. It dosen't make sense they would fight until their death for the jedis if they just knew that "one time we are gonna betray them".
    It was bad writting that got better because og TCW and Rebels
  • Options
    It's just so bad.
  • Options
    I like it for what it is. But as some have said, it's MUCH better now. This current season is pretty entertaining.

I liked Clone Wars too, which also got better in Season 3.
    CLONE HELMETS!! Now let's get Sabine her epic helmet.
  • Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

It's bad.

Other points:

1. Why not?
    5. Idk, why not?
    6. It's rogue one
    7. Nc
    8. What?

6. True
    7. ...
    8. Sith Lord Jar Jar

9. But it's a modified hilt. I'd assume it has your standard power cell to power the blaster part just added to the traditional lightsaber parts. Why is that so hard to imagine for you? It's a cool idea and shows some creativity. If we should get mad about lightsabers, then let's get mad about the helicopter nonsense.
    10. Don't take it so literally. The order of the order (haha) is destroyed, we can agree on that much?
    9. Except for it's powered by the kaiburr crystal. The helicopters is defientely not smart.
    10. The order is destroyed but there are still Jedi.
    I kind of let me kid watch whatever. He's got a bunch of shows I really can't stand (That effing King Julien one.... ****, I feel a weird, yet profound hate for Lemurs). He doesn't watch Rebels but has watched Clone Wars to death. My sample size here is minuscule. But don't throw a sheet over the discussion just because you think it's grumpier old men shaking their fists.

Sometimes, a show, even when it's about a subject you love... that show can still be bad, low budget, and not worth watching.

The penguins of Madagascar? Great show.
    Gamorrean wrote: »

It's bad.

Other points:

1. Finders keepers
    3. Only until season 3
    8. Dont be a troll

1. Maul had it

If you saw someone with force powers and use a lightsaber wouldn't you call him a jedi? And he also became a jedi knight.

How the ____ did KANAN get promoted. He is terrible.

Maul isn't **** so he wouldn't leave it.

1. Go watch it so you can try to prove your complaints
    2. Same. Maul didn't care about it(Or he just didn't know). Sabine was controlled by nightsister magic and used the darksaber. So she took it after being saved from the magic
  • Options

It's bad.

Other points:

1. Why not?
    5. Idk, why not?
    6. It's rogue one
    7. Nc
    8. What?

6. True
    7. ...
    8. Sith Lord Jar Jar

9. Except it IS powered by the crystal. The helicopter was not smart.

The penguins of Madigascar? Great show.

It's bad.

Other points:

1. Finders keepers
    3. Only until season 3
    8. Dont be a troll

1. Maul had it

And about the clones. It dosen't make sense they would fight until their death for the jedis if they just knew that "one time we are gonna betray them".
    It was bad writting that got better because og TCW and Rebels

How did someone so bad become a Jedi knight.

Maul isn't not smart so he wouldn't leave the dark saber.
  • Options

It's bad.

Other points:

1. Why not?
    5. Idk, why not?
    6. It's rogue one
    7. Nc
    8. What?

6. True
    7. ...
    8. Sith Lord Jar Jar

9. Except for it's powered by the kaiburr crystal. The helicopters is defientely not smart.
    10. The order is destroyed but there are still Jedi.

The penguins of Madagascar? Great show.

It's bad.

Other points:

1. Finders keepers
    3. Only until season 3
    8. Dont be a troll

1. Maul had it

How the ____ did KANAN get promoted. He is terrible.

Maul isn't **** so he wouldn't leave it.

1. Go watch it so you can try to prove your complaints
    2. Same. Maul didn't care about it(Or he just didn't know). Sabine was controlled by nightsister magic and used the darksaber. So she took it after being saved from the magic

1. He is still trash
    2. The nightsisters died.

Why doesn't Disney come up with some other cult or what not to do thier evil work?
  • Options
    My main beef with Rebels is that it seems like it was meant for 4 year olds. From the toothpick lightsabers to characters throwing away their blasters so they punch Stormtroopers instead of shooting them, to turning Hando is a complete joke; just ugh. The main problem stems from the characters. In Clone Wars, they had such huge universe to work with, and the writing for the most part was fantastic. I care more about Ima Gun Di than any of the main cast in Rebels, with the exception of Sabine (and maybe Geb). Hera just predicts how badly things are going to go, then let's everyone mess up, and Kanan is the Walmart version of Rahm Kota. The biggest problem is Ezra. He reminds me so much of whiny Hayden Christensen, and since he's the main character, it drives the rest of the show down.
    They need to change the format. The best episodes in Rebels have come from interacting with the rest of the Star Wars Universe. Obviously you can't have Vader in every episode, but they've utilized Maul brilliantly (fingers crossed Season 3 ends in a Maul v Kenobi Showdown). Pull the focus away from Lothal, and the crew of the Ghost. They can be present, but they aren't interesting enough to carry this show. Many of the episodes in Rebels are about as interesting as A Day in the Void from Clone Wars. Presumably, Rebels is about the rise of the Rebellion. Show that. How does Mon Mothma acquire all her support, and become their leader? Why do the Mon Cal turn their cruiseliners into capital ships? Have the Ghost go to Jeha, so we can learn more about the temple there, along with Chirrut and Baze. They have so much material to work with. This is what Clone Wars did so well. They explored every aspect of Star Wars (they were about to introduce Revan). When you have universe as massive as this, having almost 2 season take place on a single planet, with 5 people and droid is a gigantic waste.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    And you like to watch a kid madagascar show but not rebels. If you say rebels is a kid show why do you watch kid shows??

And that show sucks btw.
  • Options
    And you like to watch a kid madagascar show but not rebels. If you say rebels is a kid show why do you watch kid shows??

And that show sucks btw.

Because it is actually good.

They actually deal with problems and get injured.
  • Options
    Viserys wrote: »

The first two seasons of CW are rough, they're pretty cartoony (portrayal of Grevious is super cartoony). But the show grew legs and got a lot better.

I had same complaints during early season of CW too but thankfully Filoni and others realized most of the people watching were adults so they changed the whole way they did stories and the show was ten times better. Just too bad Lucas made them do the droid, jarjar and padma episodes
  • Options
    9. Except it IS powered by the crystal. The helicopter was not smart.

How do you know that? Source?
  • Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

And that show sucks btw.

Because it is actually good.

They actually deal with problems and get injured.

Please stop comparing a madagascar show with star wars.
    Has a person ever died in that show? no. And yes people have died in rebels so don't use that lame argument.
    TCW had more deaths, sure. But rebels still have them! Lame complaints

I think disney and lucasfilm has done a great job to make sure about how to deal with the deaths in a kid-family show. Star wars is for everone! all from 0-99+ years.
  • Options
    Season 3 is quite good actually... They've "darkened" it a bit, introduced some new characters (Thrawn) and have given is more in depth background stories in a few classic characters (Wedge).

It's bad.

Other points:
    6. Why was trash in rogue one?

So to at least answer #1 of these ridiculous questions: Sabine is actually the heir to clan Viszla, which the Darksaber has belonged to over years. Maul left the Darksaber on Dathomir, which was later retrieved by Kanan... But if you actually watched and paid attention to these interesting stories instead of complaining and crying about it, you'd know that!

• Options
    Viserys wrote: »

Was about to say the same when I saw this (+1).

Some of the early CW animation was sub-par and characters wince-inducing. But, with patience and with the plot growing steadily darker, it improved across the board.

Now, I'm an anime fan and to be honest the quality of animation on Star Wars series will never match the Japanese, period, even if it's 3D. It's respectable enough and functional. Rebels' animation seems to be improving, lighting effects in particular look much more developed.

As to this narrative that CW characters are effectively "rescuing" the series, stop and think about the overall narrative/diagesis of the Star Wars storyline. CW left a lot of characters and subplots hanging like loose ends. You got influential characters, canon ones, who are absent by the time of Episode IV. What, they just vanished or something?

So they need to be knocked out of play somehow, probably dead or exiled or otherwise neutralised (eg imprisoned, or crippled to the point they can't fight or intervene). Rebels' timeline is the perfect time to do this - expect the body count to mount up soon.
    "If you recognise this thumbnail, then you have great taste, and you're really getting old"
  • Options
    CaptainRex wrote: »
    My main beef with Rebels is that it seems like it was meant for 4 year olds. From the toothpick lightsabers to characters throwing away their blasters so they punch Stormtroopers instead of shooting them, to turning Hando is a complete joke; just ugh. The main problem stems from the characters. In Clone Wars, they had such huge universe to work with, and the writing for the most part was fantastic. I care more about Ima Gun Di than any of the main cast in Rebels, with the exception of Sabine (and maybe Geb). Hera just predicts how badly things are going to go, then let's everyone mess up, and Kanan is the Walmart version of Rahm Kota. The biggest problem is Ezra. He reminds me so much of whiny Hayden Christensen, and since he's the main character, it drives the rest of the show down.
    They need to change the format. The best episodes in Rebels have come from interacting with the rest of the Star Wars Universe. Obviously you can't have Vader in every episode, but they've utilized Maul brilliantly (fingers crossed Season 3 ends in a Maul v Kenobi Showdown). Pull the focus away from Lothal, and the crew of the Ghost. They can be present, but they aren't interesting enough to carry this show. Many of the episodes in Rebels are about as interesting as A Day in the Void from Clone Wars. Presumably, Rebels is about the rise of the Rebellion. Show that. How does Mon Mothma acquire all her support, and become their leader? Why do the Mon Cal turn their cruiseliners into capital ships? Have the Ghost go to Jeha, so we can learn more about the temple there, along with Chirrut and Baze. They have so much material to work with. This is what Clone Wars did so well. They explored every aspect of Star Wars (they were about to introduce Revan). When you have universe as massive as this, having almost 2 season take place on a single planet, with 5 people and droid is a gigantic waste.

Remember the clone who punched a droid in TCW movie?
  • Options
    warmonkey wrote: »
    Forgot to mention. Zed/zeb whatever his name is. (The wookie stand-in) is rarely on screen!

Actually that's the original Chewbacca "wookie" design from the early concept art that they re-used.
  • Ezeziel
    184 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    9. Says who? You dont get to complain about disney not having original ideas then complain when they add something new. Pick one.

Well, it isn't original with shooting lightsaber weapons either, have you seen the animated series "Ulysseus 31"...?
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Ezeziel wrote: »
    9. Says who? You dont get to complain about disney not having original ideas then complain when they add something new. Pick one.

Well, it isn't original with shooting lightsaber weapons either, have you seen the animated series "Ulysseus 31"...?

I was assuming supercat was saying that disney keeps recycling material from the old star wars movies. Thats hardly the same thing as possibly taking some inspiration from an old french cartoon most people haven't heard of. Somebody earlier mentioned how the original star wars was a rip off of older serials like flash gordon and you dont seem to have a problem with that.