Game Content Philosophy [MEGA]

Replies

• Options
    I'm so infuriated by all this that I'm going to leave, just so I can come back and leave again! (and then secretly crawl back and not actually leave at all...)
  • Options
    leef wrote: »
    gamerdom wrote: »
    Beatings will continue until morale improves.

This is not the first time you've released content where you determined tactic crafting by the community "broke" it. Either you need better play/beta testers or to actually consider the mechanics of the characters your team previously built.

I've been playing since day 1, I pre-registered, the release of mods nearly pushed me away and all that kept me here was my fantastic guild. This is an act that will cause a mass exodus from the game.

@gamerdom
    How do you feel about mods currently?
    I'm not talking about the botched release, but the fact that they're ingame now. Also, try to imagine if they remained unnerfed, what would have been the impact on the game it that would have happened.
    I personally think mods are one of the reasons i'm still playing, the game without them would have been way, way worse. Unnerfed mods would have been worse aswell imo.
    So basically the only thing they did wrong was releasing them the way they did, wich caused an outrage. The outrage was understandable, but the actions taken to nerf the mods was the right choice for the longevity of the game.
    This isn't me justifying them botching major content releases. I have no clue how they keep fudging up like that over and over. I'm just pointing out that when the dust settles and people get over the initial point of outrage, these changes aren't necessarily bad at all.

Not sure I agree on the mods part: If I recall correctly, they nerfed all the stats but Speed, thus creating a "One stat to rule them all" kind of situation. If you had a mod with 5 Speed but 300 Offense, it would be a tradeoff. Now most mods land on the trash heap if they don't get at least 2 bumps to Speed.

On topic, though: I think the frustration really stems from the combination of several issues. The raid is hard. Period. Much more so than the HAAT at the initial stage. Now people think they caught a lucky break, finding some clever mechanic. I think it's using a design flaw as a shortcut, something that needs to be patched. But instead of finding a creative way to fix that one toon that's causing the issue, it's the hamfisted tweak of an entire set of mechanics. A bit like fixing the ties in TW and messing up the entire game mode in the process. And then - adding insult to injury - you get some PoS challenge gear as a reward for your 4 day grind, with a statement that these are the items that millions of players are looking for.

If we had been given a new raid that was challenging without just piling levels of cheesy difficulty upon each other, then the tears about losing the short cut wouldn't be half as bitter. But as it stands, the outlook is to be pew-pewing at the Sith Lords for as long as it takes to bring back the Jedi Rey event, and that really has next to 0 appeal to a lot of people, me included.
  • ksomm5
    169 posts Member
    Options
    Waiting for the game changers to come out with a video to try and calm the community down.
  • JaggedJ
    1352 posts Member
    Options
    Nobody wants to spend a week doing a bland repetitive raid for average rewards.

For the most part people aren't even talking about Traya and Heroic. That takes 2 days win or lose. It's the mind numbing head being bashed against a brick wall for days on end that has people losing interest.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    gamerdom wrote: »
    Beatings will continue until morale improves.

This is not the first time you've released content where you determined tactic crafting by the community "broke" it. Either you need better play/beta testers or to actually consider the mechanics of the characters your team previously built.

I've been playing since day 1, I pre-registered, the release of mods nearly pushed me away and all that kept me here was my fantastic guild. This is an act that will cause a mass exodus from the game.

gamerdom
    How do you feel about mods currently?
    I'm not talking about the botched release, but the fact that they're ingame now. Also, try to imagine if they remained unnerfed, what would have been the impact on the game it that would have happened.
    I personally think mods are one of the reasons i'm still playing, the game without them would have been way, way worse. Unnerfed mods would have been worse aswell imo.
    So basically the only thing they did wrong was releasing them the way they did, wich caused an outrage. The outrage was understandable, but the actions taken to nerf the mods was the right choice for the longevity of the game.
    This isn't me justifying them botching major content releases. I have no clue how they keep fudging up like that over and over. I'm just pointing out that when the dust settles and people get over the initial point of outrage, these changes aren't necessarily bad at all.

Not sure I agree on the mods part: If I recall correctly, they nerfed all the stats but Speed, thus creating a "One stat to rule them all" kind of situation. If you had a mod with 5 Speed but 300 Offense, it would be a tradeoff. Now most mods land on the trash heap if they don't get at least 2 bumps to Speed.

Regardless of what specific stat would have "ruled them all", one of them would have, so mods would have landed on the trash heap anyway. The reason they nerfed the mods was because they added a rediculous stat bonus wich made base stats largely irrelevant. The base speed stat is everything but irrelevant.
    I do not think mods are perfect and i do not want to debate what's wrong with mods currently because that's irrelevant to the point i'm making. I'm only pointing out that the game without mods, or with not nerfed mods would have been worse than it currently is.
    So eventhough there was an outrage, it isn't always necessarily a change for the worse even if a large portion of the forum communitiy can't see it just yet. It's also possible that the raid is going to suck indefinately though, wich was a real possibility with mods aswell.

Save water, drink champagne!
  • OneWorldAway
    545 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I can guarantee everyone would calm down if A-challenge gear was removed from raid rewards, and B- the Daily Crystal Booster came back.
  • Options
    Does anybody know if nerfing sthan's on damage turn meter gain, destroys the Chirpatine strategy for HAAT Phase3? I think it is mostly dependent on Palpatine shocking all the adds and Chirpa giving Palps the assist on start. But I believe it also needs STHan to be quick enough to get his taunt up to generate turn meter? I am a relative n00b with this game and my guild has yet to beat HAAT. I am sinking a lot of time into leveling a g11 Chirpatine squad to help take down HAAT... so was wondering if I have completely wasted time/resources.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    DarkReaven wrote: »
    I am not really sure why expose in general is being nerfed. IF the problem was JTR teams why not make the expose not irresistable in the raid. Nerfing expose damage in all raids just kills other teams that people have worked hard for and possibly spent money on. How am I supposed to feel the sense of pride and accomplishment if after working on something for 8 months you nerf it?

the Sith raid is pretty much the only place where % dmg abilities do a disproportinate amount of damage (mainly due to the immense healthpool).
    I looked up an old screenshot of my zFinn resistance team in the hAAT. Out of the 9.2mil dmg i did, only 1.8mil was done by exposes. That leaves 7.4mil regular dmg that will remain unchanged by changes to expose dmg.
    For the sith raid however i did 11.2mil dmg, but 7.9mil was done by exposes. That only leaves 3.3mil regular damage. Your suggested change would however drastically lower the "regular" damage aswell as the dmg from exposes. With the current raid mechanics, if it's not unresistable it pretty much won't stick, so that means no more TM gains from exposes. Particulary RT will really suffer if that happens.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    Wreckhouse wrote: »
    I love how if Raids arent working as they intend and you find a workaround, like STHan they fix it within 3 days. TW has a completely broken matchmaking system . Saw a team on TW Discord today that is 77mil GP matched up vs a 138mil GP guild. "Working as intended"

This just goes along with the Teebo issue, which finally got fixed after everyone had already moved on to soloing with Jyn and Vader.

IG88 finally had his healing immunity fixed after droids were so useless no one used them anymore. I couldn't compete and was getting soloed with Dookoo in Nihilis lead after wrecking the rest of the team. If this had been fixed in a prompt manner, I would not have had this issue. By the time it was fixed I had already moved onto a different team a long time before.

The Nute Gunray cheese strategy in HAAT was stated by CG as having been discovered, but low on their list to fix, and then it was fixed in like 3 days after the community got wind of it.

Kylo Ren, resetting the escape cooldown was clearly not working as intended in my opinion and only got changed months after players had been using it to their advantage after the community called out double standards when the nute gunray was fixed.

Vader could solo Rancor raid, and clearly was not working as intended with his turn meter removal under his leadership stacking through the phases, but this took forever to be addressed to the point that players felt it was working as intended. If I thought it would have been fixed I likely never would have spent a zeta on him, but I figured it was working as intended by the time I zetad him.

It also concerned me that many ship bugs that have finally now been addressed went on for so long. An example would be not being able to select the right ship for an assist or other ability because it was covered by the buffs/debuffs of another ship. This has only recently been fixed. This was going on since the inception of ships.

The priorities on what to work on I feel focus too much on bringing in new characters or things that generate money, and as a result the rest of the game suffers. I understand this game needs to bring in money, but my philosophy in life is to fix what is broken first, rather than to keep releasing more and more content as the problem will not go away that way, and community frustration will just grow with it. Perhaps a more long term vision of profit would be better than a short-term one. Players may be more willing to spend on content being released when the rest of the game is very robust and more bug free. So, in the long run perhaps this philosophy would make more money. I also don't know if it is pressure from board members to get new content out quickly or not, and that may not be my business anyway, but some of the new content seems to be brought out before it is ready (dark side territory battles being the main example). The sith raid appeared to be ready, and the mechanics are complex and seem to be working smoothly so I am pleased with that. Unfortunately, I just have trouble seeing how the expose mechanic is being changed now and not before release as I would think the Jedi Training Rey, and BB8 teams would have been among the first tested. I don't mind Stromtrooper HAN being fixed, and am a bit surprised with how much of the community seems to think it shouldn't be fixed since I have seen people doing 20 or 30 million plus with him, when other teams can't even do a 10th of that. Though, at the same time I understand the frustration with strategies they figure out being nerfed and the fear that this will keep happening when they develop strategies. Personally, I think Resistance should have been nerfed in the early days of HAAT as it was far too dominant compared to other teams. Instead of that BB8, and JTR were brought in to make the resistance expose mechanic even more powerful. So it is natural for the community to be caught off guard with these nerfs since it doesn't reflect so much the history of the game (referring to expose, and not Stormtrooper Han)

I also empathize with how release dates are very difficult to give, and so 'soon' has become the common vague answer. I'm ok with that as I would know how difficult is to give a more exact answer, and I would rather get something released in a good state, than one that still has some kinks to work out.

Maybe, this balance between fixing, and releasing new content could be tweaked a little so fixing doesn't keep taking a back seat?

I appreciate CG responding in this thread, although I wonder if it may have been better to have a list of questions developed by the community before responding as it just increases frustration from the community when only a few questions are answered, and political answers that don't really address the question are largely being given out.

• Options
    The road ahead: pleased to meetra, you're sure rich. But we'll nerf her too after you buy her.
  • Options
    Its simple really....

Fix the rewards by removing challenge gear
    Fix the sith raid to whatever you want
    DONT nerf toons you already released.
    Fix the TW matching calc.

This shouldnt be thst hard. Listen to your player base for once.
  • swgohfan29
    1147 posts Member
    Options
    LukeDukem8 wrote: »
    Its simple really....

Fix the rewards by removing challenge gear
    Fix the sith raid to whatever you want
    Fix the TW matching calc.

I actually have a idea. we should increase the health pool of traya by 5000% and nerf nothing!

BOOM
  • Options
    @CG_RyDiggs. Still waiting for an answer as to why expose is getting nerfed. Up until the new Sith raid there wasn't a problem with it. Not like it makes that much difference in the Sith raid anyways, with the bosses having godly amounts if tenacity, you're lucky if you get 1 expose out of 5. And, since nothing said here matters to you guys anyway, what about a "recompense" for all the people that spent tons of cash, time and resources on farming and collecting everything nessicary for a resistance squad to use in raids. That's 1+ years of investments that are wasted on these toons. Yeah yeah yeah, I know the "it's only getting nerfed on raids" mumbo jumbo. But, thats the reason all that was spent, for raids. Btw, this raid blows. Basically you've taken away every offensive and defensive advantage we have and given it all to the bosses. Nobody wants to spend days or even weeks on 1 raid to get garbage gear rewards for all that effort. Also, can you guys please stop taking everything away from us and then pop on the forums and come off as it's a good thing. We are not children, and shouldn't be treated as such. How about giving us something that's worthwhile and actually pleasing to have. You say we matter, but, do we really. You've constantly ignored the pleas of the community and do a spin off that dosen't even apply to the situation. You're loosing the interest of alot of people, that isn't good for the games survivability. I'm sure this is all for naught, but, I tried. Just please stop playing God and give us the freedom to explore and play the game as we see fit. I'm so tired of being pulled in the direction you guys push us towards. I just want to play and enjoy. You're making that very hard to do.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Its simple really....

Does anyone besides me think this is pretty funny. How on earth can they listen to their playerbase and not nerf toons at the same time?
  • DocDoom
    532 posts Member
    Options
    Echoing some sentiments above. New raid is a WiP, so expected that it would be adjusted.

If previous raids are going to be modified, though, it shouldn't be a one-way street. Increasing difficulty should be balanced with improved rewards.

Alternatively, leave the existing raids alone...but add a NEW tier (call it Mythic or Legendary if you like), with the adjustments and maybe other increases to difficulty...and couple that with better rewards (absence of Challenge gear, Zetas for top finishers, etc.).

And while you're at it, maybe a fix for the matter of ties for first-place in raids. Like everyone who placed first gets first-place prize. Then, can proceed with 2nd, 3rd, etc. or if there were, say, 10 first-placers, next finisher gets 11th place prize.
  • JaggedJ
    1352 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Its simple really....

Does anyone besides me think this is pretty funny. How on earth can they listen to their playerbase and not nerf toons at the same time?

Nerf Chaze!
  • Options
    I know I'm late to the game, and it has probably been asked or is "common" knowledge, but can someone please explain what is meant by infinity loop?
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    I know I'm late to the game, and it has probably been asked or is "common" knowledge, but can someone please explain what is meant by infinity loop?

Getting infinite turns before the enemy can do anything, usually by being able to get 100% tm repeatedly. Like Chirpatine in p3 AAT or recently STHan with Traya.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options

Your character lineup can exploit some game mechanic that makes it totally impossible for the raid boss to ever take a turn. You do a few set up moves, press auto, and walk away. Then come back to your phone an hour later when you've killed the whole phase.
  • Options
    Expose doesn’t “stifle” other teams. It benefits those who choose to level and use those characters.

Buff other characters and the raid bosses if you want to even things out.

I chose the Resistance route early on and grew them through time an effort. I shouldn't be penalized for that.
  • Options
    Wouldn't that fall under poor game design and not an exploit? It almost sounds like Heroic Pit raid, and using characters that have TM reduction to solo the whole thing. The way I see it, is any raid will eventually have a team that is an auto team, its just a matter of finding the combination. Thank you for the answers.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    Ruivussan wrote: »
    Expose doesn’t “stifle” other teams. It benefits those who choose to level and use those characters.

Buff other characters and the raid bosses if you want to even things out.

I chose the Resistance route early on and grew them through time an effort. I shouldn't be penalized for that.

The problem with expose is that it is disproportionately effective against enemies with large health pools, and the bosses here have extreme amounts of health. Frankly, if one team is able to deal 10x as much damage as others and 80% of it comes from expose, it is time to tune it down. That said, the health pools in the raid are ridiculous too and should be tuned down as well, and more than just a little, to keep the completion times similar while bringing various teams' performances in line.
  • Options
    Maybe the devs should just publish a list of acceptable squad combinations so that players don't innovate incorrectly and make sure strategic thinking does not venture outside the box.

Amazing.

Between this and challenge gear... I can't even with this game.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Svo
    62 posts Member
    Options
    Can only think of one word pitifull. Even the rewards are pitifull, after all it takes to clear it and you get a pittance of gear. Now there going to nerf the only fun part about it the st han team. Well atleast ive stopped spending money on it. What a waste of time
  • Options
    You rushed this content out the door and you're using the whole community as a beta test and punishing people with unnecessarily sweeping changes to fix problems you should have fixed before release, making people feel undermined frustrated and soul crushed. Next time maybe do some more testing first.
  • chazzychucklin
    13 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    And btw thanks everyone who spent money on this game!
  • Options
    The developers have several times promised to make the process of obtaining these characters easier...
    Wicket, Nightsisters, and the Character Release Cadence
    We recently made the following Character Shards available in Shipments. Going forward, you’ll also see them in more traditional farmable locations. These characters will also continue to appear as rewards in their respective recurring events.
    Wicket
    Mother Talzin
    Nightsister Zombie
    Nightsister Spirit
    After listening to feedback and collecting player data, it’s clear that our efforts to make the distribution of these faction-defining characters special - by having them farmable exclusively behind recurring events - has caused confusion on how Marquee characters are released. In the future, we will be working harder to preserve the integrity of the Character Release Cadence, by ensuring that characters released via Marquee events cycle through the game in a more standardized fashion, within clearly defined periods of time.
    Characters released via Territory Battles, Legendary events, Hero’s Journeys, and other special occasions will continue to have a more unique and challenging farming schedule.

Source: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/157819/star-wars-galaxy-of-heroes-the-road-ahead#latest

Can we expect any changes in the near future? I'm already assuming they'll answer me. But can be there is something more concrete?

@CG_RyDiggs
    @CG_CapGaSP
    @CG_Carrie
    @CG_TopHat
    the biggest russian-language swgoh community: vk.com/swgoh
  • First_but_66_Order
    1014 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Ok. Here I present a deep analysis about the changes of the sith raid and some of the consequences.
    The list is however not complete, and may sometimes involve personal opinion. Please note that I can be inaccurate, I could also possibly make mistakes in the counting, I am not a professional statistician.

Before I begin, I want to say Fearsome Foe on Nihilus and Traya are broken, should be reworked or replaced.

Phase 1
    In medias res, the health pool decrease will cause much lower damage for teams which depend on either expose or deathmark. So, this includes the two most effective teams, JTR and Imperial Troopers. Given that these two were the only teams which offered some usable strategy for p1, the remaining is the Thermal Detonator team, but this one is also a liablity, due to the stacking tenacity (not to mention that it is also a health percentage based team). The only one team which wasnt nerfed is the Thrawn led Magmatrooper team with Magma modded for tenacity, which I would say has a potential for scoring about 1 million, probably a bit more if Deathmark is on Nihilus. Meanwhile there are still issues with Nihilus, who sometimes doesnt use his Annihilate, when the coolodwn has gone. (this problem is squared on heroic, where you cant tell if he goes two or three times in advance)
    So, again, Fearsome Foe is not compatible with Nihilus kit design and it makes the special raid ability practically useless.

Phase 2
    The least affectid phase is probably phase 2, mainly due to the fact that it is nearly a flawless design. The Pain mechanic is a great addition, and the Soothe special is really useful here.
    However, I feel it unnecessary giving Sion stacking Tenacity when, he is already immune to TM reduction. I would rather set it to a certain preset value which is high enough to challenge even the highest potency characters.
    Fearsome Foe is OK here, nothing crazy, however I would say the double and triple attacks are unnecessary, due to the high counter chance. My suggestion is to remove double attack and increase the counter chance on Suffering from 60% to 75% or 80%.
    The health percentage issues also apply to this phase, we will see lower damage output.

P3 and P4 aka Damage triggered bonuses
    The change mainly adresses the TM gain issue of ST Han, but it reaches beyond that as the list of the affected characters indicates in the dev. notes (which is indeed incomplete).
    This change might or might not be questionable, we have to deal with it.

What it shows is NOT that Bonds of weakness' was broken, rather the fact that the unique 'Lord of Betrayal' and the idea of stacking speed, which was ment to be the barrier of all possible exploits has failed. My opinion is that they should have rethought and reworked the current 'Fearsome Foe' system rather than importing it from the current raids.
    After the STH exploit it became obvious that the stacking speed is not the ideal solution. And with this update this problem is rather patched than properly reworked.
    The Han type of teams were indeed able to deal huge damage, however it is usually forgotten that the STH team is really hard to get it worked. Setting up this team needs a lot of tries and even if one could have it going, the RNG can mess everything up easily. So, Han himself is not a guarantee for high damage, he requires one of the two leads which can remove TM zetad (Zader, Zasajj).
    There is also a better TM loop team, however untested, which requires 3 zeta pieces and still offer an estimilated 10% fail risk per turn on avarage (Zader, Zavage, DT(z) Krennic, B2).

My concern is that this in-game mechanic is ancient and many design involves it, and this "fix" relativizes the use of these designs and this creates an anomaly and with this instance there is a potential that future updates would "overwrite" existing game mechanics, relativizing what truely is WAI. This philosophy is unhealthy, this solution cannot be justified by any explanation.

My suggestion instead of this would be the following:
    Simply increase Trayas TM gain provided by Fersome Foe to 10%. (and remove the stacking speed)
    If we take the example of the most effective TM loop team I mentioned before, this would cause the increase of the avarage fail risk per turn from ~10% to ~23%. And in some specific instances it would go up above 30% possibly, depending on the TM reduction RNG.
    Statistically, this would reduce the avarage damage output of this team composition by 50% (half). Sure, it would be still possible to solo p3, but the possibility for taking 100 turn before Traya is way below 1%, and I doubt 100 turns would be enought to beat the phase.
    All in all, it would be the situation like when a small child asks the his parents to use the scrissors, and mother gives him a smaller, more secure scrissor instead of the one adults use.
    With TM loop teams, we play with risks. Rather than disabling the teams, it would be more sophisticated move to just higher the fail risk directly or indirectly.

I dont think P4 needs anything to be added, It is basicly all previous phases combined.

@CG_RyDiggs @CG_Leviathan , I hope my voice is heard and you really revise the functional usefullness of Fearsome Foe and Traya's unique.
    And next time please consider releasing an open beta before the initial release of a new content. It worked with Territory War, and I dont see a reason why wouldn't have worked with the new raid.
    Post edited by First_but_66_Order on
This discussion has been closed.