The Road Ahead: July 5, 2018 [MEGA]

Replies

• Options
    If reading through these 10 pages has taught me anything, it is that
    A) CG is correct, most people dont understand mods.
    B) most people have poor reading skills

I would recommend any newcomers to this thread not actually read any of the "explanations" and wait u til we get more detailed information. I'm sure the correct explanation is in here somewhere but so much ignorance and misunderstood mechanics compounded with less than stellar communication and poor reading comprehension...it only leads to a headache.
  • Options
    I feel like everyone is overlooking the fact that they're introducing new salvage for slicing that we'll have to farm and probably buy... Does no one really care?
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    Ugnaught wrote: »
    Apparently I'm the only one who would prefer canon characters.
    I'm fine with any character being added, really. Star Wars is big enough and the fans are so many that every character is going to be SOMEONE'S favorite character. Hell, my favorite characters are Kit Fisto (That name! That smile!) and Zam Wessel (That name! That informing the look and mechanics of the Imperial Agent Sniper in the MMO!) and they're in, so why not make someone happy?
    You can get Kotor for like 5$ off steam. It is considered one of the greatest RPGs ever... Not just star wars... all RPGs ever. All time. It introduced a younger generation who were too young to truly enjoy the original trilogy to the depth of the star wars universe.
    Considered one of the greatest RPGs ever--by people who played it when it was relatively new. Don't underestimate the importance of context. I know enough people who have watched Ghostbusters for the first time as adults to know that old things don't age well. Even something innovative like KOTOR is going to suffer because the best bits of it have been redone and recycled into later games and done better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't like it or trying to be a wet blanket. I'm glad the folks who are fans are getting the thing that they want. I'm just saying why there's folks who read the news and thought "Meh."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.vg247.com/2017/12/19/50-best-rpgs-ever/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwiq75WJ-IrcAhUpmeAKHYKfD88QFjADegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw1R01ClK07TZdlBMc1nVUdK&ampcf=1

First site I clicked on... Kotor series is #17 on the top 59 all time rpg list. Staying power. And there are lots of those lists.

It'd be cool if they'd update the graphics if both, and finish the story and put ba
    Gheyst1214 wrote: »
    I'm fine with any character being added, really. Star Wars is big enough and the fans are so many that every character is going to be SOMEONE'S favorite character. Hell, my favorite characters are Kit Fisto (That name! That smile!) and Zam Wessel (That name! That informing the look and mechanics of the Imperial Agent Sniper in the MMO!) and they're in, so why not make someone happy?
    You can get Kotor for like 5$ off steam. It is considered one of the greatest RPGs ever... Not just star wars... all RPGs ever. All time. It introduced a younger generation who were too young to truly enjoy the original trilogy to the depth of the star wars universe.
    Considered one of the greatest RPGs ever--by people who played it when it was relatively new. Don't underestimate the importance of context. I know enough people who have watched Ghostbusters for the first time as adults to know that old things don't age well. Even something innovative like KOTOR is going to suffer because the best bits of it have been redone and recycled into later games and done better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't like it or trying to be a wet blanket. I'm glad the folks who are fans are getting the thing that they want. I'm just saying why there's folks who read the news and thought "Meh."

Actually it’s not just considered one of the greatest RPGs ever by people who played it when it was relatively new. Check top RPG lists by sources like Game Informer, IGN, etc. Kotor is always on the list and always near the top. Even to this day.

And when those lists aren’t compiled by 30-something white guys like me, they’ll mean something.

Just out of curiosity who should they be compiled by? In order to mean something?

I think he is saying the lists need to be compiled by a younger generation that didn't play the game when it first came out to mean something. Not sure why he brought race into it though.

They are.
  • Options
    The only reason I ask is because Kotor sits on those lists next to games like Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Diablo, Dragon Age, Dark Souls, and Mass Effect. All those games are newer release games compared to Kotor. Kotor 2 is usually not on those lists. So it’s not a matter of nostalgia. Fallout: New Vegas isn’t usually on those lists. It’s because Obsidian makes good RPGs. But companies like BioWare, Bethesda, Blizzard, and Next Software make GREAT RPGs. Don’t even get me started on the machine that’s Square Enix and Final Fantasy. And Kotor usually beats the other BioWare games I mentioned. It’s because Kotor as a RPG stands the test of time. I don’t work for any of the game review companies but I’ve got to believe it’s not just 30 something white guys who are the only ones compiling these lists. I’ve been a gamer for a long time and Kotor is still a go to when I want to take a break from the current shiny new games that are released. I feel like people should give it a try no matter what age or race or whatever they are. It’s a great game and you won’t be disappointed. I’ll get off my soapbox now.
  • TVF
    36620 posts Member
    Options
    I feel like everyone is overlooking the fact that they're introducing new salvage for slicing that we'll have to farm and probably buy... Does no one really care?

I just prefer to wait until I know what the requirements actually are.

I realize that makes me an extreme minority here.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
    518 posts Member
    Options
    @CG_CapGaSP @CG_Kozispoon @CG_Dan @CG_RyDiggs @CG_JohnSalera

If you're not planning on changing existing mods, please think about this solution :

Put a maximum on speed gained with mods to +100. That would bring balance to the PVP part of the game if players would have a chance to go with this maximum speed. It's actually insane to see that for 2 years now, speed is the only thing that matters. It's more important than skill, strategy or anything. You can hit like a wet noodle, it doesn't matter as long as you're noodling faster than the other character of the opposite squad.

How would this work ?

Players with mods that goes over +100 would only benefit from +100 speed even though the set gives +130. That would mean players can focus somewhere else as well and that would benefit from other mods sets that exist and are not used.
    (Hello there Defense and Tenacity, long time no see !)

Please, at least consider this. That could be a solution for balance everything in the game. Going over +100 is possible and quite frequent nowadays but that's a reason of boredom to many players and maybe even a reason for them to quite the game.

Thanks.
  • Rmaxtpmx
    294 posts Member
    Options
    Rmaxtpmx wrote: »
    MntMan wrote: »
    I'm confused. I don't see where on here it addresses the issues surrounding the Sith Raid, the difficulty settings and the reward structure for lower tiers in this post. Did I miss it? Should I go back and reread it? Surely a thread (STR Feedback Thread) that has so many replies and so much hate behind it as well as the most recent update to "fix" heroic only raid rewards for STR would garner some attention in a Road Ahead thread. Surely they would address this as opposed to keeping silent on it. Also there must be mention somewhere in here about the ship 2.0 update that is so RNG reliant. They must have mentioned something about this. Everyone wait here while i go back and read it again.

Here's an idea:. Play the game better, and earn heroic rewards. Stop whining about lack of compensation for being subpar. You're lucky they even let you play at lower tiers.

Wow, you're a gem. Personal anecdote: I'm a very well organized FTP player. I started playing in December. I've got all legendaries but JTR done and will get her next time, and a month later I'll have finished farming Chex Mix and NS to be 100% HSTR ready. 10 months to go from zero to HSTR seems like a pretty good "get gud" timeframe without spending money, yeah? But the gear slog is genuinely painful, and on top of that, I really hate the idea of leaving my guild just to do HSTR. I don't understand why the devs created a guild-breaking raid and are doing NOTHING to compensate for it. Other games would bring newer or weaker players up to speed; this one just pushes them down until they quit out of frustration. But yeah, we're "lucky" they let us play.

The game is what it is. It's not other games, and cg isn't other developers. The endless moaning on this site is pointless and ignorant. The sith raid is designed to be the hardest content in the game, which is most definitely not meant to be playable by newer, f2p players. There's a million things to do up to that point. So yes, you are lucky to have the chance to play end-game content just a few months in. The exclusive rewards at heroic level should be an incentive. Everybody wants something for nothing. You shouldn't be able to catch up to a player who's been grinding for 2 years, after half a year of unearned rewards.
  • Alaoh
    19 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
  • YKMisfit
    730 posts Member
    Options

Yup. My #1 concern as well. Not only is it something we'll have to farm, they're saying it'll come from mod battles, which uses cantina energy...I already have more things competing for that resource than I'm happy with.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

Well you must not have played this game very long cause it's never good news Or surprisingly welcome requirements
  • BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member
    Options
    Guest wrote: »

If you're not planning on changing existing mods, please think about this solution :

Put a maximum on speed gained with mods to +100. That would bring balance to the PVP part of the game if players would have a chance to go with this maximum speed. It's actually insane to see that for 2 years now, speed is the only thing that matters. It's more important than skill, strategy or anything. You can hit like a wet noodle, it doesn't matter as long as you're noodling faster than the other character of the opposite squad.

How would this work ?

Players with mods that goes over +100 would only benefit from +100 speed even though the set gives +130. That would mean players can focus somewhere else as well and that would benefit from other mods sets that exist and are not used.

Please, at least consider this. That could be a solution for balance everything in the game. Going over +100 is possible and quite frequent nowadays but that's a reason of boredom to many players and maybe even a reason for them to quite the game.

Thanks.

Stop tagging the entire development team with your suggestion.
  • TVF
    36620 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

Well you must not have played this game very long cause it's never good news Or surprisingly welcome requirements

April 2017

I like STR. I like Ships 2.0.

I'm a positive person I guess.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Iy4oy4s
    2938 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    BrtStlnd wrote: »

How would this work ?

Thanks.

Stop telling someone what to do.......wait......doh!!

Besides, it’s not like they will answer anyway.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    Nothing's ever good when you consistently decide it sucks before it even happens. The level of negativity toward this announcement is absurd.
    Still not a he.
  • Boba_The_Fetter
    3393 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Nothing's ever good when you consistently decide it sucks before it even happens. The level of negativity toward this announcement is absurd.

More often then not right though. They're just finding another way to monetize mods. Nothing good about it. Think mod sets is really why it took so long to revamp mods? They hold off doing good things people will enjoy until they're sure they can maximize profit.

And yes I'm well aware it's a game and they have to make money some how yaddah yaddah but other companies are well capable of making money and still keeping the masses happy
  • SoonerJBD
    460 posts Member
    Options

How would this work ?

Thanks.

Yeah, I don’t think I should be punished for farming and leveling good mods. I worked pretty hard to find mod sets that will make me competitive at the top of arena. I don’t think it’s fair to nerf my mods so the 200 people below me can bump me back every day and have a shot at Top 10. They didn’t work for it as hard as I did.

Solution: work on your mods. You will now have more opportunities to do so.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    More often then not right though. They're just finding another way to monetize mods. Nothing good about it. Think mod sets is really why it took so long to revamp mods? They hold off doing good things people will enjoy until they're sure they can maximize profit.

And yes I'm well aware it's a game and they have to make money some how yaddah yaddah but other companies are well capable of making money and still keeping the masses happy
    No one can make Star Wars fans happy.

A lot of folks have refused to touch the property because Star Wars fans are so caustic.
    Still not a he.
  • SoonerJBD
    460 posts Member
    Options

I think the criticism is pretty warranted given that they are taking an already heavily RNG dependent game feature and requiring we spend more credits and resources for even more RNG dice rolls.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the KOTOR toons. I am very happy we are getting mod management. I am not happy they are using simplicity as an excuse to exponentially increase the credit and energy sink for mods. I think I’m being pretty reasonable.
  • Options

In this case, it sounds like they're going to make some stuff better - and leave speed alone. That's fine.
    Colors are going to change, some management tools will come in. Also good.
    Then, an added feature of being able to take what you already have and give an option to upgrade them. This is fine too, because, like titles, you can skip it and play exactly the way you already have been all this time.
    I have no problems with any of the mod news - it's all good and it's looking (so far <eyerolling>)
    But no comment on the STR borefest or Ships RNG fest? I guess it's just going to be left as is until people get to where they can just auto it like the other raids and game content....
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member
    Options
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    BrtStlnd wrote: »

How would this work ?

Thanks.

Stop telling someone what to do.......wait......doh!!

Besides, it’s not like they will answer anyway.

They specifically requested that people stop doing this.
  • Cstone812
    266 posts Member
    Options
    People don’t want or like kotor characters yet are cool with Rose Holdo and dumb Solo movie toons...lol.
  • Options

A lot of folks have refused to touch the property because Star Wars fans are so caustic.

Haha a lot of folks? I love the star wars content in the game. That's why I play it. It's how they conduct their business that peevs me and many others off. Sorry when you love something so much you care about what a company does to it after they buy it
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

Slow your roll there, Sparky. There had been a great many things to be enjoyed in the updates and improvements in the game in 2016 & 2017 - the introduction of guilds, raids, mods (which actually made tanks viable again) and ships. It wasn't until late 2017/early 2018 with the drop of HST raid and Ships 2.0 that things have really gone south.

I also think painting all Star Wars fans with such a broad brush is extremely unfair.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Banth wrote: »
    “Many players don’t engage with mods at all”

Really? It’s incredible how out of touch the devs really are. Like yeah sure maybe yr data says a lot of toons don’t have mods on them but realistically the only reason unmodded toons could ever be statistically important is if you are counting all the dead accounts and toons that are never used. If you only are looking at active accounts and toons that are used they are all going to be modded basically across the board. This CG doublespeak is constantly used to twist things around to justify bad changes to the game that really are only in place to make profit. A major reason I stopped financially supporting this beautiful mess.

And let's not forget, that many people/toons do not have mods because they are so frigging expensive and hard to get and the drop rate for decent ones in the challenges is truly horrible

• Options
    Kotor is one of my guarantees I tell people that you won't be dissatisfied with...

Like Usual Suspects.
  • SoonerJBD
    460 posts Member
    Options

Similarly, there are always people who come on these forums and make it their mission to defend even the worst behavior or decisions by the developers of the game, even when those decisions are an indefensible effort to squeeze money out of players without providing any additional value.
  • Options
    More time sink. More resource sink. More real money sink. Itty bitty window of improvement.

ph9nuz57s942.gif
  • Options
    Hopefully Calo Nord will make it in at some point. I thought he was pretty awesome.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options

Actually it’s not just considered one of the greatest RPGs ever by people who played it when it was relatively new. Check top RPG lists by sources like Game Informer, IGN, etc. Kotor is always on the list and always near the top. Even to this day.

And when those lists aren’t compiled by 30-something white guys like me, they’ll mean something.

Just out of curiosity who should they be compiled by? In order to mean something?
    This next dude gets it!

I think he is saying the lists need to be compiled by a younger generation that didn't play the game when it first came out to mean something. Not sure why he brought race into it though.
    I bring up ethnicity, gender, age, and usually orientation and identity (didn’t on this one because I’m already expecting to find it edited by a mod and that would guarantee it and probably mean another warning if I’m lucky—buuut probably more) because we’re the numerical plurality and on the internet we’re the loudest, so it’s easy to assume we’re the default. By specifying my details it emphasizes that there are a whole bunch of variables in the viewpoint of the people who make lists, but that the actual people making the lists aren’t very variable.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Am I the only one who dislikes KOTOR? I have tried playing it three times and can never bring myself to finish it. The gameplay is just so repetitive and the combat is based on "behind the scenes dice rolls" so no skill is needed to play and there is no fun in combat.