Arena Exploit? Can someone please explain this?

Replies

• Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    Woodroward wrote: »
    Tryxa wrote: »
    MrRedxZero wrote: »
    Why would he do that

Sounds kind of like one of those shard collusion things that "doesn't happen."
    You mean: Sounds like shard cooperation that everyone acknowledges does happen. People say collusion doesn't happen because it doesn't.

It's "cooperation" if you're in on it. It's "collusion" if you're on the outside. ;)

Better start cooperating then ;)
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Options
    Why would he do that

You mean: Sounds like shard cooperation that everyone acknowledges does happen. People say collusion doesn't happen because it doesn't.

It's "cooperation" if you're in on it. It's "collusion" if you're on the outside. ;)

That depends on the nature of your shard chat.... If you are a bunch of guys exchanging payout times so everyone gets max crystals, then cool...... If you are a bunch of guys that conspire to gang up on any player who reaches top twenty, then not so cool.....
  • Options
    BubbaFett wrote: »
    Why would he do that

That depends on the nature of your shard chat.... If you are a bunch of guys exchanging payout times so everyone gets max crystals, then cool...... If you are a bunch of guys that conspire to gang up on any player who reaches top twenty, then not so cool.....

I’d assume it usually starts as the former and goes to the latter once it gets too crowded. No one wants to share with 10 people
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Why would he do that

I’d assume it usually starts as the former and goes to the latter once it gets too crowded. No one wants to share with 10 people

People don't mind rotating. Honestly, I am on a launch arena shard and an early ship shard, and I think in each case, the most I've seen is 6 sharing a time slot - and not everyone can climb and max out battles everyday, so it's really not that hard to keep it friendly. At least in my experience.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    7 in mine... 9 in the time slot before. It works and is civil.
  • CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    Options

What happens when someone new challenges the status quo though just by improving? And the one after that, and the one after that?
  • Options
    CHFC22 wrote: »

What happens when someone new challenges the status quo though just by improving? And the one after that, and the one after that?

I can't speak for everyone in a shard chat anymore than someone in a shard chat can speak for me...... But, some of the top 50 in my shard actually formed their own guild..... I can assure you that penetrating their circle will get you punished......
  • Options

I can't speak for everyone in a shard chat anymore than someone in a shard chat can speak for me...... But, some of the top 50 in my shard actually formed their own guild..... I can assure you that penetrating their circle will get you punished......

I’m sure plenty work like this. But when I joined most recently there was a group of 4 in my timezone and they refused to share the top 4 spots with anyone else. There were 2 other people in the chat on the same time zone who had agree to take 5th and 6th in order to not be hit lower. I was given the choice of taking 7th or being targeted and knocked as low as possible 24/7. I took option C and got my timezone changed! But my point is, there is a limit to where people will share. For this particular group it was 4.

• Jabba
    1033 posts Member
    Options
    Russian collusion is what I see lmao
  • Options

people are getting added to the shard chat if they are "worth it".
    you see, current people in the chats are highly competitive, and they are in the shard not because right now they have traya, but because they had any meta for long long time. they competed for #1 for so long, they know each other by name and thats enough. there are no coincidences here.. people in the chat believe they earned their spots by playing so much on the top level and controlling the high arena, and they won't let anyone challenge the status quo.
    if someone new has improved and trying to join the chat, there are probably 2 options : if hes in dead payout by himself, they will probably invite him. more power for them, and they can tell him what to do to become more competitive and adjust to upcoming meta. if hes in payout with people, its a problem. some chats will probably make him "work" for his crystals a bit to show his worth and then invite him after he earned their respect, and some chats will not let him enter, and they will fight for long long time, until meta changes, where they will leave him behind. if hes still not behind, go again : earned their respect and therefore in, or continue to fight.
  • Options
    Ugh.

He did that to see how active his shard is. Heck, even i've done that once lol.

Why are people blaming collusion? When you want to help someone, you don't waste a turn to put in hyoda. You only remove mods lol.
  • CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    So basically everyone is telling me that if someone new but decent comes along they can "earn" themselves an invite to said group, who may tell them how to be better at a game they don't need any help on, by virtue of the fact they're already good enough to be top 10/20 arena? What happens when they politely decline but carry on being good at the game? Basically, there's an assumption in all these responses that said new person wants to join in the group
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    So basically everyone is telling me that if someone new but decent comes along they can "earn" themselves an invite to said group, who may tell them how to be better at a game they don't need any help on, by virtue of the fact they're already good enough to be top 10/20 arena? What happens when they politely decline but carry on being good at the game? Basically, there's an assumption in all these responses that said new person wants to join in the group

Not all of these groups are full of jerks like above. My arena shard chat is very welcoming and a very good group of people. Definitely lucked out on that. We'll protect people in the chat from being sniped if they ask for help, but if we can contact the other person it makes all of our lives easier, so we try to contact them, get them in rotations and ask them not to climb when it's not their payout time. Probably in the minority though as I know there are plenty of more malicious shard chats out there.
  • CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    Options
    Vertigo wrote: »

Not all of these groups are full of jerks like above. My arena shard chat is very welcoming and a very good group of people. Definitely lucked out on that. We'll protect people in the chat from being sniped if they ask for help, but if we can contact the other person it makes all of our lives easier, so we try to contact them, get them in rotations and ask them not to climb when it's not their payout time. Probably in the minority though as I know there are plenty of more malicious shard chats out there.

I mean that's better, but what happens if they just play the game for enjoyment, without caring what time it is? What I'm getting at is if there's any negative consequences for someone who doesn't want to be part of a group that manipulates arena positions for its members benefit then the group is a bad thing, whether it's otherwise well intentioned or not. I'm top 30, pushing top 20 on mine but have zero intention of joining such a group for example, and I'd hate it if that meant I got picked upon.
  • J0HND03
    143 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I mean that's better, but what happens if they just play the game for enjoyment, without caring what time it is? What I'm getting at is if there's any negative consequences for someone who doesn't want to be part of a group that manipulates arena positions for its members benefit then the group is a bad thing, whether it's otherwise well intentioned or not. I'm top 30, pushing top 20 on mine but have zero intention of joining such a group for example, and I'd hate it if that meant I got picked upon.

be proud, you're making 30 people feeling good, what's the despair of a single user worth in those odds ;)

• CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    Options
    J0HND03 wrote: »

be proud, you're making 30 people feeling good, what's the despair of a single user worth in those odds ;)

Utilitarianism ain't my thing!
  • Options

[/quote]

Utilitarianism ain't my thing![/quote]

I'm with you man..... There are some people here to play a game and have fun..... There are others who get their kicks by following predetermined farming plans they read on the internet, robotically going through their battles when their shard chat allows them to, scientifically maximizing crystal use efficiency and going about the "game" in an orderly fashion.....

I can't be that second guy.... Mirror matches are boring.....
  • CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    Options

Utilitarianism ain't my thing![/quote]

I'm with you man..... There are some people here to play a game and have fun..... There are others who get their kicks by following predetermined farming plans they read on the internet, robotically going through their battles when their shard chat allows them to, scientifically maximizing crystal use efficiency and going about the "game" in an orderly fashion.....

I can't be that second guy.... Mirror matches are boring..... [/quote]

You know what, I'm fine with that. Partial to a bit of advice myself occasionally... but if one person's choice limits the enjoyment of anothers then it's a no from me.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

But it's not about "manipulating" (and I realize there is a very fine line here) - it's about simply making sure that people don't step on each other's toes at their respective payout times. It operates on two basic principles:

1) There is a limited amount of crystals for payouts (each hour)
    2) But why let EA "keep" some?

There's enough for most to finish high enough if they can/want to. As long as people are civilized and stay out of each other's way at people's payouts.

And these hypothetical "what if someone suddenly, after a year or two of not caring wakes up, dumps a bunch of money and time and can finish in the top 10" rarely happen if ever. If they do, they are usually simply added to the "rotation", their payout times noted so people don't knock them back in their respective move up time.

It's really not that difficult, IF it's not controlled by a group of jerks - which admittedly (and sadly) does happen.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

But it's not about "manipulating" (and I realize there is a very fine line here) - it's about simply making sure that people don't step on each other's toes at their respective payout times. It operates on two basic principles:

1) There is a limited amount of crystals for payouts (each hour)
    2) But why let EA "keep" some?

There's enough for most to finish high enough if they can/want to. As long as people are civilized and stay out of each other's way at people's payouts.

And these hypothetical "what if someone suddenly, after a year or two of not caring wakes up, dumps a bunch of money and time and can finish in the top 10" rarely happen if ever. If they do, they are usually simply added to the "rotation", their payout times noted so people don't knock them back in their respective move up time.

It's really not that difficult, IF it's not controlled by a group of jerks - which admittedly (and sadly) does happen.

I should add I don't think I've been a victim of "being outside the tent" but just worry that it's open to abuse.
  • crzydroid
    7317 posts Moderator
    Options

I think most chats are fine with that as long as you have the list of payout times so you're not sniping anyone before payout or bumping them too close to their time.

One general rule I used before getting in chat and I was unsure was just to try and attack at the top of the hour instead of a few minutes before if I was trying to get in morning battles or something. Also just be especially mindful f if your attack would bump someone a prize tier--so if it's not your direct payout time and you don't have access to the list, try to avoid battles that would move someone to a lower tier.
  • CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    Options
    crzydroid wrote: »

I think most chats are fine with that as long as you have the list of payout times so you're not sniping anyone before payout or bumping them too close to their time.

One general rule I used before getting in chat and I was unsure was just to try and attack at the top of the hour instead of a few minutes before if I was trying to get in morning battles or something. Also just be especially mindful f if your attack would bump someone a prize tier--so if it's not your direct payout time and you don't have access to the list, try to avoid battles that would move someone to a lower tier.

See, I disagree with this. I understand your logic but my starting point is just different - it's a PVP game so if I've turns left, and I think I can beat you, I'm going to attempt just that regardless of the time. It's not about being vindictive or hoping you get less crystals than you otherwise would - I just want a battle. First world problem and that I suppose.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

See, I disagree with this. I understand your logic but my starting point is just different - it's a PVP game so if I've turns left, and I think I can beat you, I'm going to attempt just that regardless of the time. It's not about being vindictive or hoping you get less crystals than you otherwise would - I just want a battle. First world problem and that I suppose.

First off, your "first world" metaphor makes no sense.

Second, yes, your starting point is different. You treat it as PVP because that is what EA/CG has billed as - and wants you to think. I (and many involved in cooperative shard chats) think of it as a line for crystals, the lifeblood of the game. If people are civil, wait their turn in line, then EVERYONE wins and can maximize their rewards. If one (or a few) people don't respect the others and allow people an equal chance to maximize their rewards, then they generally are not trusted. One way is win/win. The other is win/possibly lose. I see nothing wrong with win/win. Especially if it helps insure that on days when I am busy or have real life commitments or emergencies, I'm not going to get sniped out of the top 10 in the final 20 minutes. So I simply extend that respect and kindness to others.

• CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

First off, your "first world" metaphor makes no sense.

Second, yes, your starting point is different. You treat it as PVP because that is what EA/CG has billed as - and wants you to think. I (and many involved in cooperative shard chats) think of it as a line for crystals, the lifeblood of the game. If people are civil, wait their turn in line, then EVERYONE wins and can maximize their rewards. If one (or a few) people don't respect the others and allow people an equal chance to maximize their rewards, then they generally are not trusted. One way is win/win. The other is win/possibly lose. I see nothing wrong with win/win. Especially if it helps insure that on days when I am busy or have real life commitments or emergencies, I'm not going to get sniped out of the top 10 in the final 20 minutes. So I simply extend that respect and kindness to others.

Eh? First world problem isn't a metaphor. It's a saying and makes plenty of sense. It's a way of saying there's bigger problems in the world than the rigging of payouts in the pvp arena of a game based on fictional characters with magical powers and lasers.

But I'll make an exception for you as you're dishing out insults by implication.

It's a game. Played for pleasure. Don't imply that I'm somehow not civil or not respectful of rules because I play the game as intended. I don't snipe. I don't collude. I just play.
  • Options

I don't criticize your play style, but if you attack people just because and make them lose Cristals, then of course they will put you on a "hitlist". If I'm at rank 1 and you're hanging around, not even being your payout, I'd lock myself of ask a friend to hit you, as I would know you can't be trusted
  • CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    Options

I don't criticize your play style, but if you attack people just because and make them lose Cristals, then of course they will put you on a "hitlist". If I'm at rank 1 and you're hanging around, not even being your payout, I'd lock myself of ask a friend to hit you, as I would know you can't be trusted

Hmmm. It's this issue that I'm somehow untrustworthy that isn't especially nice. I hope you really mean to say "unpredictable" as that has very different connotations!
  • Options

Hmmm. It's this issue that I'm somehow untrustworthy that isn't especially nice. I hope you really mean to say "unpredictable" as that has very different connotations!

You're right, I didn't use the right word. You would but untrustworthy if you talked to your shardmates and then attacked them after making peace. If you didn't, it's that you're unpredictable. Still, it's the same issue. People won't want to have you close in fear you attack them out of nowhere
  • Options
    Direct proof of shard mafia. A cancer in every shard.
  • CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    Options

You're right, I didn't use the right word. You would but untrustworthy if you talked to your shardmates and then attacked them after making peace. If you didn't, it's that you're unpredictable. Still, it's the same issue. People won't want to have you close in fear you attack them out of nowhere

Appreciate you clarifying that. Still think it's completely unacceptable I'm seen as the disruptive one though but I can get over that!
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    Each shard chat is different, and depends on who is in it. My shard chat lets each "payout group" determine its own rules. The overall shard rule is : don't attack anyone whose payout is in less than 2 hours. That's the expected "move" time for players.

Some payout times have rotations, some have static positions, some have "races" to see who gets which rank.

Some of my guild mates have tried to get in as they have approached the top 20, and were basically told that until they can consistently break into the top 10, they aren't going to be let "in", despite the fact that my guildies are trying to play nicely and not mess with anyone's current payouts.
This discussion has been closed.