State of Ships Arena

Replies

• Options
    I started playing just before ships 2.0 came out. I remember everyone complaining that it all came down to RNG since everyone had maxed out ships with the same starters and it was a coin flip who went first. Now if you invest in the right ships/reinforcements you can eliminate that coin flip. If not then yeah it is a coin flip.

Nope ... RNG is wild even with curent META! So your point is unsusta
    inable
  • Options
    No that's how the reinforcement works.

No, it's a bug, and one that has been acknowledged by CG since 1/22.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/193312/known-issues-1-18-2019#latest
    Han's Millennium Falcon - Han's Millennium Falcon can have Taunt applied by Endurance ("Hold Fast") or Geonosian Spy's Starfighter ("Repulsor Array - Ruse") and can be targeted even when there are other ships Taunting
  • Options
    At this point, fleet arena is boring (which it has been for a LONG time). The issue is only made worse by the fact that CG's only response to enhance fleet is to directly manipulate the meta by releasing a small number of new OP ships every few months (First it was Chim, then HT, now HMF).

Honestly, if CG wants to fix what's wrong with fleet, they just need to watch Ahnald's vid on fleet being the worst game mode (which 65% of the people who voted in his poll agree with, BTW). Either fix fleet or jettison it. It's a disaster - and it's too bad, because when they first launched it, I loved fleet.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Anything is better than 5 min mace vs mace battles. I'll take the 30s rebel rng.
  • Xezee
    274 posts Member
    Options
    RNG has brought me to Falcon vs Falcon multiple times. This ends with a timeout unless RNG goes ham against someone.
  • Options
    A lot of this would be solved by doing what many have been asking for a long time before the Falcon came along: Put out some more ships (especially capitals).

Instead of there being one "Have this or you won't be competitive" setup, there could be more of a rock-paper-scissors scenario: Ackbar with Falcon now trumps the Thrawn/HT routine, but wait! A Grievous cap-ship leading seppies turns out to play to the Rebels' weakness. Meanwhile, Hux's cap-ship leading FO has an advantage over Grievous, Holdo's cap-ship and Resistance beats Hux, Thrawn is the antidote to Holdo, etc.
  • Options
    DocDoom wrote: »
    A lot of this would be solved by doing what many have been asking for a long time before the Falcon came along: Put out some more ships (especially capitals).

Instead of there being one "Have this or you won't be competitive" setup, there could be more of a rock-paper-scissors scenario: Ackbar with Falcon now trumps the Thrawn/HT routine, but wait! A Grievous cap-ship leading seppies turns out to play to the Rebels' weakness. Meanwhile, Hux's cap-ship leading FO has an advantage over Grievous, Holdo's cap-ship and Resistance beats Hux, Thrawn is the antidote to Holdo, etc.

This. Unlike squad arena, ship arena is rock v. rock v. rock. Fleet has always been that way - but when it was 5v5 strategy trumped RNG. Since ships 2.0, RNG has become the determining factor (along with who has whatever CG has decided is the biggest rock).
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Options
    Zvezda wrote: »
    I started playing just before ships 2.0 came out. I remember everyone complaining that it all came down to RNG since everyone had maxed out ships with the same starters and it was a coin flip who went first. Now if you invest in the right ships/reinforcements you can eliminate that coin flip. If not then yeah it is a coin flip.

inable

Because there aren’t any ships like Cassian’s who removes all buffs and makes the new Falcon a sitting duck.
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    DocDoom wrote: »

This. Unlike squad arena, ship arena is rock v. rock v. rock. Fleet has always been that way - but when it was 5v5 strategy trumped RNG. Since ships 2.0, RNG has become the determining factor (along with who has whatever CG has decided is the biggest rock).

I think a lot of people here are ignoring that there are lineups that allow for complete elimination of RNG by killing the falcon before it moves (or if its being used, HT taunts). Granted those lineups would fall like rocks if left in on defense.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    FA is the best it's ever been
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Options
    Plenty of variants in the top 20 of my shard, with 3 of the 4 capital ships represented, everyone getting shuffled around and people tweaking their lineups to see if a different combo works better
  • Options
    ..Honestly, if CG wants to fix what's wrong with fleet, they just need to watch Ahnald's vid on fleet being the worst game mode (which 65% of the people who voted in his poll agree with, BTW)...

A poll put on by a youtuber, to his followers, and the majority agree with him? That's surely a fair and unbiased result.

Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Options

inable

Because there aren’t any ships like Cassian’s who removes all buffs and makes the new Falcon a sitting duck.

Unless of course their HT landed breach, despite decreased potency from Ghost or increased tenacity from a non-stealthed non-taunting HT, or you do get timing right on the Cassian RI but don't get an assist off of the Falcon's basic..or it dodges, or it dodges twice...or you appropriately put defense down on Biggs but he dodged too, again, for the third time that match, only to have Phantom and Cassian inflict target lock then AA heal, so a nearly dead Biggs is now back to full health, with Advantage....the list goes on.
  • Options

inable

Unless of course their HT landed breach, despite decreased potency from Ghost or increased tenacity from a non-stealthed non-taunting HT, or you do get timing right on the Cassian RI but don't get an assist off of the Falcon's basic..or it dodges, or it dodges twice...or you appropriately put defense down on Biggs but he dodged too, again, for the third time that match, only to have Phantom and Cassian inflict target lock then AA heal, so a nearly dead Biggs is now back to full health, with Advantage....the list goes on.

Actually it’s pretty simple... cleanse breach & get Advantage. reinforce with Cassian. Then kill falcon ASAP. Reinforcement is on cooldown and the cleanse/heal is arguably the best first move.

Or just make your home one faster and one shot kill an opponent. I dropped from 1 to #3 today. Not because of RNG. Developing ships.
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    Options
    At this point, fleet arena is boring (which it has been for a LONG time). The issue is only made worse by the fact that CG's only response to enhance fleet is to directly manipulate the meta by releasing a small number of new OP ships every few months (First it was Chim, then HT, now HMF).

Honestly, if CG wants to fix what's wrong with fleet, they just need to watch Ahnald's vid on fleet being the worst game mode (which 65% of the people who voted in his poll agree with, BTW). Either fix fleet or jettison it. It's a disaster - and it's too bad, because when they first launched it, I loved fleet.

Only people who dont like fleet are the ones who failed to invest into it. I for one love fleet and it ranks towards the top of my favorite modes in the game
  • Options
    I also heavily invested to beat fleet. Used to take #1 frequently but have fallen into top 10 since HMF but managed to squeak in a #1 tonight, figuring it out. I beat a 7* HT with my 6* HT and 5* HMF. I like fleet way better than squad but it's still an rng fest. I agree it's one of my fave modes but one that frustrates me more than any other.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • 6The6Bull6
    647 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    AA Millenium Falcon is a terrible RNG meta. Here is hoping ep shuttle kicks it to the curb.

Edited to avoid confusion over censored word. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • Megamatch
    32 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    6The6Bull6 wrote: »
    AA Millenium Falcon is a terrible RNG meta. Here is hoping ep shuttle kicks it to the curb.

Edited to avoid confusion over censored word. - EA_Cian

he is the emperor after all, he should rule them all.
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • Options
    ..Honestly, if CG wants to fix what's wrong with fleet, they just need to watch Ahnald's vid on fleet being the worst game mode (which 65% of the people who voted in his poll agree with, BTW)...

A poll put on by a youtuber, to his followers, and the majority agree with him? That's surely a fair and unbiased result.

Start a poll here then. You might be surprised at how much the results are similar to Ahnald's.

I find at amusing that people like to cast aspersions on small sample size or bias in any poll that's done...and then complain about drop rate conspiracy because their drops for *whatever character they're farming* just went 0 for 12.

• Options

Start a poll here then. You might be surprised at how much the results are similar to Ahnald's.

I find at amusing that people like to cast aspersions on small sample size or bias in any poll that's done...and then complain about drop rate conspiracy because their drops for *whatever character they're farming* just went 0 for 12.

Challenge accepted... except on the FB fan page.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options
    I'll say it every time - if you hate fleet arena, it's because you don't bother to read ability descriptions and can't figure out why you're getting rofl'd by a seemingly-inferior opponent.

Admittedly the Falcon is a little bonkers, but I'm not crying for a nerf to it. I'ma just build up my rebels.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    The best thing about toons/ships like the Falcon is how incredibly nice it feels when you figure out a way to beat them.
  • Options
    Jarvind wrote: »
    I'll say it every time - if you hate fleet arena, it's because you don't bother to read ability descriptions and can't figure out why you're getting rofl'd by a seemingly-inferior opponent.

Admittedly the Falcon is a little bonkers, but I'm not crying for a nerf to it. I'ma just build up my rebels.

I love fleet, but I could see plenty of reasons why people wouldn't.

It's a different game mode with different abilities. You have to dedicate a lot of resources - it's not just the ship, but the toons (and their gear/abilities/mods). There is some overlap where great toons have ships, but a lot of the time you end up with Geos or Bistan or Fives.

You build a good team for squad arena, and it has a lot of use in a lot of game modes. You build a good fleet for fleet arena and it's good for fleet arena. And maybe TW. And a little of TB. But since those are guild-wide events you can be covered by your mates.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Jarvind wrote: »

I love fleet, but I could see plenty of reasons why people wouldn't.

It's a different game mode with different abilities. You have to dedicate a lot of resources - it's not just the ship, but the toons (and their gear/abilities/mods). There is some overlap where great toons have ships, but a lot of the time you end up with Geos or Bistan or Fives.

You build a good team for squad arena, and it has a lot of use in a lot of game modes. You build a good fleet for fleet arena and it's good for fleet arena. And maybe TW. And a little of TB. But since those are guild-wide events you can be covered by your mates.

And GA! Sometimes!

But yeah I see your point. Still, there are plenty of characters with ships who aren't arena-worthy but work fine in any other game mode - the crews of both U-wings are good examples. In fact, I would argue that the overwhelming majority of pilots are at least somewhat useful on the ground - the only one I can think of offhand that's just truly trash is Plo Koon. Most others are at least decent, and Bistan is even potentially a beast if he's with Chewie and Guarded.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options

inable

Actually it’s pretty simple... cleanse breach & get Advantage. reinforce with Cassian. Then kill falcon ASAP. Reinforcement is on cooldown and the cleanse/heal is arguably the best first move.

Or just make your home one faster and one shot kill an opponent. I dropped from 1 to #3 today. Not because of RNG. Developing ships.

@JediKnight_MarkRyan Regardless of having the fastest Home One on the shard, being able to reinforce with Cassian or all of the other painfully obvious "strategic" counter measures that can be employed in the current meta, it's an RNG fest that is largely dictated by how many times rebel ships assist off one another, whether or not they crit when, whether or not breach gets resisted, or how likely it is that one of those elusive tanks will dodge at an in/opportune time.

The fact that you fell from 1 to 3 tells me nothing other than you are fortunate enough to be in a ship shard that has no idea what it's doing or you decided to "invest in ships" by taking a faction that is marginally useful in end-game and over invest in it (Phoenix) or were prescient enough to get BH ships to 7*. An swgoh.gg profile will go a long way towards bolstering your argument.

And here's what I mean by RNG dependent. AA / HT / HMF / Ghost (faster AA) vs AA / HT / HMF / Biggs (slower AA). First match after opening round, Ghost dead, breached while opposing breach resisted. Second match after opening round, Biggs dead no breach while opposing HT breached. RANDOM.

• Options

inable

@JediKnight_MarkRyan Regardless of having the fastest Home One on the shard, being able to reinforce with Cassian or all of the other painfully obvious "strategic" counter measures that can be employed in the current meta, it's an RNG fest that is largely dictated by how many times rebel ships assist off one another, whether or not they crit when, whether or not breach gets resisted, or how likely it is that one of those elusive tanks will dodge at an in/opportune time.

The fact that you fell from 1 to 3 tells me nothing other than you are fortunate enough to be in a ship shard that has no idea what it's doing or you decided to "invest in ships" by taking a faction that is marginally useful in end-game and over invest in it (Phoenix) or were prescient enough to get BH ships to 7*. An swgoh.gg profile will go a long way towards bolstering your argument.

And here's what I mean by RNG dependent. AA / HT / HMF / Ghost (faster AA) vs AA / HT / HMF / Biggs (slower AA). First match after opening round, Ghost dead, breached while opposing breach resisted. Second match after opening round, Biggs dead no breach while opposing HT breached. RANDOM.

Cleanse breach and grant advantage using AA. That gives you guaranteed Crits. It’s pretty obvious that the next Meta will introduce a mass daze and prevent all of the assists from occurring. Which do you enjoy more... Maces time-out team that took 5+ minutes or a more RNG meta?

And last of all there are always control pieces that reduce/eliminate Being at the mercy of RNG. Go find them and use them.

I fall from 1 to 3 in fleet because 1. My shard is 11 months old and 2. I invested heavily in ships since day 1.

• Options
    kalidor wrote: »
    I guess the devs figured we were missing the RNG from the last days of ships 1.0. Why bother with strategy when you can have random outcomes? Will my phantom2 hit for 12k, or set off a triple string of crits totalling 75k? That 50% assist of the falcon brings back that fun factor we all loved from last year. :D

These things come and go. From their perspective anything that changes things up is better than not.
  • Options
    CaptainRex wrote: »
    kalidor wrote: »
    I guess the devs figured we were missing the RNG from the last days of ships 1.0. Why bother with strategy when you can have random outcomes? Will my phantom2 hit for 12k, or set off a triple string of crits totalling 75k? That 50% assist of the falcon brings back that fun factor we all loved from last year. :D

Yup. That's why I actually loved the initial release of Ships 2.0. It was so refreshing not to have RNG decide the battle.

Lol i disagree, till this day ships 2.0 is the reason why rng is a huge factor in fleet battles. Having fewer starting ships immediately makes the effect of bad or good rng more impactful. 1.0 was way more straightforward. And for those who say tfp was the cause of rng in 1.0, well tfp was almost guaranteed to dodge and there was always poe to deal with it.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Options
    I feel like they don't know what they are doing with ships, but are trying to make as much money as they can out of it. Releasing a really much to strong ship then it should be gained with ships that never even fought it in the first place and not ships that it fought all the time like TFP, that includes rng ontop of RNG. The last thing ships needed was more RNG but that's exactly what they went and did with Falcon.

Mirror matches with falcon, its still rng if you win or not. Skill doesn't factor into your falcon doing the 50% assist or not. You fight the same guy twice, one time all your ships die and you kill nothing, the next time, all his ships die and none of yours do.

This RNG has existed since 2.0 came out and its only gotten worse. Only now you have to have Falcon or that top spot you've kept for the past year doesn't matter anymore. We've all been funnelled into the same ships and I dislike it. Before Falcon I saw Geo's, I saw Silencers, I saw Vaders and biggs, I saw even ghost/phantom startings, I saw variety after variety, now, everyone is going to be the same and it is disappointing.
  • Options
    Gorem wrote: »
    I feel like they don't know what they are doing with ships, but are trying to make as much money as they can out of it. Releasing a really much to strong ship then it should be gained with ships that never even fought it in the first place and not ships that it fought all the time like TFP, that includes rng ontop of RNG. The last thing ships needed was more RNG but that's exactly what they went and did with Falcon.

Mirror matches with falcon, its still rng if you win or not. Skill doesn't factor into your falcon doing the 50% assist or not. You fight the same guy twice, one time all your ships die and you kill nothing, the next time, all his ships die and none of yours do.

This RNG has existed since 2.0 came out and its only gotten worse. Only now you have to have Falcon or that top spot you've kept for the past year doesn't matter anymore. We've all been funnelled into the same ships and I dislike it. Before Falcon I saw Geo's, I saw Silencers, I saw Vaders and biggs, I saw even ghost/phantom startings, I saw variety after variety, now, everyone is going to be the same and it is disappointing.

No. They are not trying to make as much money as they can out of it.