Changes (and Additional Changes) Coming in the Next Update [MEGA]

Replies

• Options
    Temporary = for 8 months

So you would rather have a month or a week when they say temporary? A couple days is really temporary. Is that what you want?
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    Monel wrote: »
    Kurrgan wrote: »
    To add on to previous thoughts. Maybe you guys should resurrect GW, Cantina and Arena store ONLY ONLY ONLY for these hyper critical progression chars that are over a certain age. I'm looking at you vets, Farmboy, Old Ben and come next July (or whatever cadence seems appropriate) the OR squad, etc. One of the best ways to manage your revenue and churn rate is to keep new players coming in. If old players are writing posts on here and Reddit saying not to bother because you will never catch up, then they won't try whereas if they feel like they can make some headway, they are more likely to drop a few $20s here and there and have a chance to grow into whales.

This is something I can get behind. If a character has been a hard node grind for 6 months or longer release him into a store. You can even rotate other characters out of the store and into a hard node grind. That's kind of cool.

Carrie responded to that on reddit if i remember correctly she did not totally rule something like that out
  • Options
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    Kurrgan wrote: »
    To add on to previous thoughts. Maybe you guys should resurrect GW, Cantina and Arena store ONLY ONLY ONLY for these hyper critical progression chars that are over a certain age. I'm looking at you vets, Farmboy, Old Ben and come next July (or whatever cadence seems appropriate) the OR squad, etc. One of the best ways to manage your revenue and churn rate is to keep new players coming in. If old players are writing posts on here and Reddit saying not to bother because you will never catch up, then they won't try whereas if they feel like they can make some headway, they are more likely to drop a few $20s here and there and have a chance to grow into whales.

This is something I can get behind. If a character has been a hard node grind for 6 months or longer release him into a store. You can even rotate other characters out of the store and into a hard node grind. That's kind of cool.

Carrie responded to that on reddit if i remember correctly she did not totally rule something like that out

Yeah...the bronzium roster could also use an update. People talk about farming at 3 tries but most of the characters were available on bronzium and you can get lucky pulls every so often.
  • Options
    Phoenixeon wrote: »

And I 7* my lobot at the 3/day time...
    Me too!
  • OSUBucknut
    14 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Sorry but the numbers dont look right.
    If it was 3 months with 8, the reduction to 5, is 60%, making the new number 5 months (just under).
    Meaning if you put a little extra in your could make the next run at 3-4 months(like many do to make the first run of an event), or you can focus down and hit the second run.

So you are admitting that it is a money grab for CG. They want us to have to "put a little extra in".

• Raynia
    28 posts Member
    Options
    I think people should be showing appreciation for have the 8 Attempts for so long. Complaining about going to 5 makes us sounds like a bunch of ungrateful spoiled brats. When you have kids throwing a hissy fit when they don’t get their way you never cave to their demands... no matter how long they hold their breath.

CG is changing a fundamental aspect of the game - how efficient (in time and crystals) people can farm characters. People aren't throwing a hissy fit - they are customers letting a company know how they feel about the change.

Also, how were people that started in the past 6-7 months supposed to feel about this? 8 attempts is the standard for them and cutting it back to 5 is lying to them. Lying by omission is still a lie. And just because it was at 5 for a while and 3 before that, doesn't mean customers should be grateful that it's only being nerfed back to 5. Stop trying to spin this as if it's anything else but a greedy move by CG to nickel and dime their customers. This move will result in more current players quitting and fewer new players joining which will shorten this game's lifespan even faster.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    OSUBucknut wrote: »
    Sorry but the numbers dont look right.
    If it was 3 months with 8, the reduction to 5, is 60%, making the new number 5 months (just under).
    Meaning if you put a little extra in your could make the next run at 3-4 months(like many do to make the first run of an event), or you can focus down and hit the second run.

So you are admitting that it is a money grab for CG. They want us to have to "put a little extra in".

Players play this game for free all the time and manage to effectively move resources where they need to make these event work for them. Some may not be so creative in thier planning and execution, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

To be very clear, they are a for profit company. The game is here for our enjoyment and to make them money.

No, by put a little extra in, I mean focus and resources. How the players choose to get those resources is a personal choice, and is in no way forcing anyone to spend $$ they dont want to.
  • Options
    I hear a lot of people saying “I’ve been playing since launch, have all the characters and I’m ok with 5 attempts.”

Right so that we can’t catch up and upset your arena chat mafia order.
  • Raynia
    28 posts Member
    Options
    StarSon wrote: »
    Temperory = any non-permanent amount of time, no matter how long or short.

By that definition the sun or even the universe is temporary. In this situation a reasonable person would say that 7-8 months of a 3 year game is not temporary, but that it has become the new standard. This is especially true for all the new players that started the game knowing only 8 attempts. It's CG's fault for leaving the timeframe open-ended, never stating an end period and not informing new players that it's only "temporary".
  • StarSon
    7466 posts Member
    Options
    Raynia wrote: »

By that definition the sun or even the universe is temporary. In this situation a reasonable person would say that 7-8 months of a 3 year game is not temporary, but that it has become the new standard. This is especially true for all the new players that started the game knowing only 8 attempts. It's CG's fault for leaving the timeframe open-ended, never stating an end period and not informing new players that it's only "temporary".

Yes. The sun and the universe are both temporary.

But, "new standard" or not, they literally told us it was a temporary change. Just because they left it for 8 months doesn't make it not temporary.
  • Raynia
    28 posts Member
    Options
    Players play this game for free all the time and manage to effectively move resources where they need to make these event work for them. Some may not be so creative in thier planning and execution, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

To be very clear, they are a for profit company. The game is here for our enjoyment and to make them money.

No, by put a little extra in, I mean focus and resources. How the players choose to get those resources is a personal choice, and is in no way forcing anyone to spend $$ they dont want to.

Why do you want players to have to pay more in both crystals and time to farm characters at the same rate they are getting them now? Stop trying to spin this by blaming the players for not being able to "focus" properly when this change makes it 60% longer and more expensive to farm characters.
  • Raynia
    28 posts Member
    Options

But, "new standard" or not, they literally told us it was a temporary change. Just because they left it for 8 months doesn't make it not temporary.

Did you miss the part where I said what about the new players that had no idea 8 wasn't the standard? A lie by omission is still a lie.
  • StarSon
    7466 posts Member
    Options

Did you miss the part where I said what about the new players that had no idea 8 wasn't the standard? A lie by omission is still a lie.

They didn't tell the new players that when the game launched it was 3 attempts either. Or that Bronziums used to give half the shards when a full character was pulled. Or that GW sim wasn't always a thing.

You can't actually expect them to dump the entirety of their release notes in an in-game message for every new player. At some point, the new player must accept the responsibility of researching the game they are trying to excel at.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    And what is the most important part of being ready for an event? Getting the required 7* characters ready. And what is the best way to make sure you have them at 7* in time? Farming them as fast as possible for the least amount of crystals.
    Stop trying to spin this and make it seem like it doesn't affect anything. If the change doesn't really matter than CG wouldn't be making it and they would leave it at 8. People can currently farm more characters by just doing 5 attempts and not the full 8. But people don't do that. They do the full 8 so that the farm is finished faster. It's as easy and simple as that.
    No. No, those are not the most important things.

Whether your crystal spend is high or low is not important to the event. It's a personal preference that affects things outside of your qualifications for the event. Right now, I am spending 150 crystals per day on standard energy, and sinking all of it into Millennium Falcon and Darth Revan prerequisites. Stopping that spending would not help me get either.

How quickly you can farm for a character is one of the most important factors in getting a new event unit the first time. But once it becomes cyclic, becomes a regular more-or-less predictable part of the game, that's not the part that really matters. Making a plan and committing to the farm is what matters. You can calculate about how long it will take to do your farms. You can make an educated guess as to when the event will come back. You can tack on a bit of extra time for schedule fluctuations and go from there. But if you don't commit, the plan will never gain traction, and you will never make progress.

Take the JTR event.

At two energy refreshes per day, it takes about three months to farm veteran Han and Chewie from nothing to seven stars. Plus change, if you still need to use some cantina energy for Finn after.

It was 90 days from the first JTR event to the second. The marquees for the veterans gave 100 shards. Enough for a luck buffer and to make up for some extra Finn farming. Yet two, three, even four cycles in, we had people complaining about the JTR "paywall" keeping them from her. I was literally called an "obvious whale" because I had JTR and ran her with Holdo third cycle.

Those people weren't kept from JTR because the farm took too long. They were kept from JTR because they did not choose to start and commit to the farm.

And while yes, people are generally doing eight attempts on five farms instead of five attempts at eight farms... that's really a rather meaningless point.

If I were given the freedom, I would instead do forty attempts on one farm at a time and knock it out in three weeks, much like the cantina table. But the daily attempt cap is there as a pacing mechanic. That cap is set somewhere, and the correct setting to get the pacing they're going for can legitimately be less than what it's at right now. But I ain't getting less stuff as a result, and neither are you. This game is a marathon, not a sprint.
    Nauros wrote: »
    Even as a veteran, there is a lot of characters I will simply never get to 7* because of the shift towards hard nodes as the default way of release. This change makes the list even longer, which is something I can't agree with.
    Moreover, farming for any future Journey or Legendary will take longer, and I doubt they will increase the farm time to compensate. The timing here is too suspicious to deny any connection to Darth Revan and number of unlocks or revenue generated...
    A small part of me still hopes that this, along with the addition of new gear for DR, is just pre-balancing the game economy in preparation for something new and awesome, but that part keeps getting smaller and smaller.
    I'm a fairly veteran player. Over two years in.

I can count the number of units left on the table who I care about. Juhani, Jango/HT, Roller Disco, IG-1000, Krennic, Baze, Rangetrooper, Vandor Chewbacca, Embo, Visas. Maybe toss Anakin, Barriss, and Fives onto the list.

Thirteen units I actually care about, counting Jango and Houndstooth as one since they're on the same node. Right now, I'm farming five of them. After the update, I will be farming eight of them, which will mean I am literally farming most of what's left that I actually care about.

Yes, it will take a while. Yes, they will add more stuff to the table in the interim. But the point where it is worth my while to farm Lobot for platoons is in sight. And my list of farms on the standard tables is definitely getting shorter, not longer.
    Still not a he.
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options

How is it a lie by omission? The updates and announcements are all still available to new players. They can go back and read them if they so choose. Or do you think every new player should get an in game pop up message when they first log in?
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options

Why do you want players to have to pay more in both crystals and time to farm characters at the same rate they are getting them now? Stop trying to spin this by blaming the players for not being able to "focus" properly when this change makes it 60% longer and more expensive to farm characters.

Pretty sure Kyno doesnt care if people spend money, no profit for volunteers. Furthermore I have not read a single comment from Kyno that states 5 is better than 8.

I have 2 accounts, one very old where I have spent money. And 1 very new ftp, currently level 82. On my new account i manage resources and it's hard. My natural instinct is to get every character to 7 stars, cant do that as ftp. I have made choices to farm Phoenix for Thrawn, but only so far as it unlocks Thrawn. I am now working on BH cause I want Chewie, that means i wont get CLS, Jtr, 3po, etc.. for quite some time. Do I like that? No, no I dont. Is it unfair? No, no it's not. As a new ftp I cant have everything, I have to prioritize and I fine more accomplishment when I do finish a grind.

8 nodes down to 5 nodes doesn't change much for me. I am not trying to change your mind, just giving you a different perspective with my "yes, I can" attitude.

• Options
    I think people should be showing appreciation for have the 8 Attempts for so long. Complaining about going to 5 makes us sounds like a bunch of ungrateful spoiled brats. When you have kids throwing a hissy fit when they don’t get their way you never cave to their demands... no matter how long they hold their breath.

CG is changing a fundamental aspect of the game - how efficient (in time and crystals) people can farm characters. People aren't throwing a hissy fit - they are customers letting a company know how they feel about the change.

Also, how were people that started in the past 6-7 months supposed to feel about this? 8 attempts is the standard for them and cutting it back to 5 is lying to them. Lying by omission is still a lie. And just because it was at 5 for a while and 3 before that, doesn't mean customers should be grateful that it's only being nerfed back to 5. Stop trying to spin this as if it's anything else but a greedy move by CG to nickel and dime their customers. This move will result in more current players quitting and fewer new players joining which will shorten this game's lifespan even faster.

You’re calling a false assumption a lie. New players falsely assuming that 8 attempts is forever is not the equivalent of a lie or a lie by omission. So let’s not falsely call people liars. That’s not an honest argument.

CG is making the move because obviously they think it’s whats best for the game and them making money. They’re number$$$$ are down by ten+ of millions this quarter.

They didn’t make as much off Revan as they should have largely due to hard node attempts (8) & probably Revan burnout. If this helps them make another $5M or so then good for them.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

I have not blamed anyone for anything.

I dont want want anything. There is no desire on my end for anything to be done.

Please stop trying to spin this to be someone's malicious action towards someone else.
  • Raynia
    28 posts Member
    Options
    You’re calling a false assumption a lie. New players falsely assuming that 8 attempts is forever is not the equivalent of a lie or a lie by omission. So let’s not falsely call people liars. That’s not an honest argument.

CG is making the move because obviously they think it’s whats best for the game and them making money. They’re number$$$$ are down by ten+ of millions this quarter.

They didn’t make as much off Revan as they should have largely due to hard node attempts (8) & probably Revan burnout. If this helps them make another $5M or so then good for them.

New players aren't falsely assuming that 8 attempts is forever. Stop blaming players for CG's ineptitude. There is no reasonable way for new players to know that 8 isn't the current standard. CG stating that is was limited was only sent via in-game message. How are new players supposed to get that message when they started playing after it was sent? Where is the developer update on the forum stating it was temporary? That would at least be searchable if someone wanted to read past patch notes.
  • Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Are you even listening to yourself, that's some kitten right there. *the difference between 5 farms at 8 vs 8 farms at 5 is arbitrary* like ****. What if I dont want to farm those 3 extra characters because I want revan sooner, but I don't want to pay more crystals to do it hmm?
    Well, then, don't do the extra farms, throw the spare energy in a river, and get Devan the same time you would have anyways since even with the reduced tries, given the timing of the previous journey characters, there will still be enough time to meet the prereqs.

But are you even listening to yourself? What if you have such very exacting wants and offer no wiggle room in return, and ignore all options and opportunities available to you except the specific ones that you want now? Does that sound reasonable to you?

Right now, my farms are Jango/HT, Badstila, IG-1000, Roller Disco, Juhani, Carth, and SiT. After the change, I'll add Baze, Rangetrooper, Vandor Chewbacca, and a half farm toward finishing Nest, which Carth put a hold on. All of these can be useful to me. Do I wish I could push those first seven farms faster? Sure. Am I really going to hurt from the reduced attempts? No. No, I'm really not. And not because my position is special and I'm somehow protected from the change, but because I can adapt my plans and figure out how I can better use what I have instead of complaining about it.

So you'd rather take a change that's detrimental than complain about it?
  • Raynia
    28 posts Member
    Options
    I have 2 accounts, one very old where I have spent money. And 1 very new ftp, currently level 82. On my new account i manage resources and it's hard. My natural instinct is to get every character to 7 stars, cant do that as ftp. I have made choices to farm Phoenix for Thrawn, but only so far as it unlocks Thrawn. I am now working on BH cause I want Chewie, that means i wont get CLS, Jtr, 3po, etc.. for quite some time. Do I like that? No, no I dont. Is it unfair? No, no it's not. As a new ftp I cant have everything, I have to prioritize and I fine more accomplishment when I do finish a grind.

8 nodes down to 5 nodes doesn't change much for me. I am not trying to change your mind, just giving you a different perspective with my "yes, I can" attitude.

So if you're fine with farming 5 attempts everyone should be ok with that? Even if they only have 1 account and don't have another very old account like you do? Why take away people's choices? If you want to farm slower that's fine. I want to keep the status quo that's been the standard for 8 months.

What's your GP on your very old account? How many legendaries have you unlocked on it? Of course you don't care how fast you farm on your second FTP account.
  • Options

New players aren't falsely assuming that 8 attempts is forever. Stop blaming players for CG's ineptitude. There is no reasonable way for new players to know that 8 isn't the current standard. CG stating that is was limited was only sent via in-game message. How are new players supposed to get that message when they started playing after it was sent? Where is the developer update on the forum stating it was temporary? That would at least be searchable if someone wanted to read past patch notes.

That’s perhaps the best argument is that new players wouldn’t know 8 isn’t the standard. And I think this is just one of those things where new players learn that rewards, perks, etc. can be nerfed at any time for any reason.

I’m personally more upset about that garbage Grievous Rework and KOTOR Meta overload than hard node attempts. Even though I farm hard nodes exclusively. Hopefully new players farm hard nodes & not normal one for the gear.
  • Options
    obikenobi1 wrote: »
    LeetoQui78 wrote: »
    obikenobi1 wrote: »
    So much negativity on these forums. really sad to see. CG never stated that 8 attempts was permanent! it was TEMPORARY!!!!!!!!!! What about that do people not understand? I boggles my mind. It's their game so they run it like they want. They don't charge people to download the game. All income they make is voluntary from players. People love to overreact and this is a huge case of that. I hope CG chooses to ignore most of what is being said because its extremely ungrateful and stuff like that really makes future content and future temporary boosts much less likely.

I want to thank the game designers for giving us 8 attempts for as long as they did!

Seven months TEMPORARY!!!!!! And in that time a lot has changed. The game has progressed and this is clearly a regressive move. The Revans did not make as much revenue as they had hoped so they have to find a way of making that money. Yes, it's their game and ultimately they can do as they like. But if they upset the community enough that more and more people quit the game what does that ultimately serve other than to kill that game? My mind boggles as to why some players can't see that. Some people can't see the woods for the trees.

When they increased the attempts from 5 to 8, it was a known to be temporary. they kept it on at 7 months so that people could get both Revans free to play. It was a luxury to have it for 7 months! They didn't need to do that but they did. I for one am thankful for that. I wouldn't have been able to get Darth Revan if they hadn't extended that 8 attempts period as far as they did.
    Lol

• Raynia
    28 posts Member
    Options
    How is it a lie by omission? The updates and announcements are all still available to new players. They can go back and read them if they so choose. Or do you think every new player should get an in game pop up message when they first log in?

Where exactly can I find that the change from 5 to 8 is just temporary? Pretty sure that was just sent as an in-game notification. How is someone who started after that was sent supposed to see that information? The only announcement on the official forum stated that it was being changed from 5 to 8. It said nothing about it being temporary.
  • Options

For goodness sakes, are all people like this somewhat touched in the head? CG is a BUSINESS, meaning they want to make MONEY. When they upset the customers, they make LESS money. This is not a family, like ****?
  • Raynia
    28 posts Member
    Options
    They didn't tell the new players that when the game launched it was 3 attempts either. Or that Bronziums used to give half the shards when a full character was pulled. Or that GW sim wasn't always a thing.

You can't actually expect them to dump the entirety of their release notes in an in-game message for every new player. At some point, the new player must accept the responsibility of researching the game they are trying to excel at.

Slippery slope much? Again, where is a new player supposed to find out that the change from 5 to 8 was just temporary? How is a new player supposed to research an answer to something when they couldn't even know it was an issue? And CG should definitely let players know that a fundamental aspect of the game is just temporary. A simple pop up telling a new player that 8 attempts is temporary would have made all of this a non-issue.
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options

So if you're fine with farming 5 attempts everyone should be ok with that? Even if they only have 1 account and don't have another very old account like you do? Why take away people's choices? If you want to farm slower that's fine. I want to keep the status quo that's been the standard for 8 months.

What's your GP on your very old account? How many legendaries have you unlocked on it? Of course you don't care how fast you farm on your second FTP account.

First, I specifically stated I am not trying to change your opinion. I dont expect you to be able to see past your own anger and be able to have a logical argument.

Secondly just cause I have an account with unlocked characters doesnt mean i dont want them unlocked on my second. If i didnt care i wouldn't have the second account. I like this game enough to play it twice and spend money on one of my accounts.
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options

Where exactly can I find that the change from 5 to 8 is just temporary? Pretty sure that was just sent as an in-game notification. How is someone who started after that was sent supposed to see that information? The only announcement on the official forum stated that it was being changed from 5 to 8. It said nothing about it being temporary.

K
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »
    Even as a veteran, there is a lot of characters I will simply never get to 7* because of the shift towards hard nodes as the default way of release. This change makes the list even longer, which is something I can't agree with.
    Moreover, farming for any future Journey or Legendary will take longer, and I doubt they will increase the farm time to compensate. The timing here is too suspicious to deny any connection to Darth Revan and number of unlocks or revenue generated...
    A small part of me still hopes that this, along with the addition of new gear for DR, is just pre-balancing the game economy in preparation for something new and awesome, but that part keeps getting smaller and smaller.
    I'm a fairly veteran player. Over two years in.

I can count the number of units left on the table who I care about. Juhani, Jango/HT, Roller Disco, IG-1000, Krennic, Baze, Rangetrooper, Vandor Chewbacca, Embo, Visas. Maybe toss Anakin, Barriss, and Fives onto the list.

Thirteen units I actually care about, counting Jango and Houndstooth as one since they're on the same node. Right now, I'm farming five of them. After the update, I will be farming eight of them, which will mean I am literally farming most of what's left that I actually care about.

Yes, it will take a while. Yes, they will add more stuff to the table in the interim. But the point where it is worth my while to farm Lobot for platoons is in sight. And my list of farms on the standard tables is definitely getting shorter, not longer.

If the current trend of everyone getting a single hard node continues, the list will definitely expand. It's simply impossible to farm characters faster than they are added, so, for example, I have given up on Baze and Vandor long ago. In the past year, I have definitely not farmed up more characters than were added, and the vast majority of my energy goes into hard nodes.
    And new Journeys/Legendaries are another matter. Let's be honest, missing out the first time means missing out the time window when they are meant to dominate, and subsequently missing a huge amount of crystals. What this change brings is longer time needed to farm a character from hard node. The ability to dilute your farm and work on eight guys at once is neat, but pretty much useless when you race against time to get the most out of the new release. And this change, making any future Journeys and Legends harder to get and more expensive in terms of crystals, comes right after a Journey that let a lot of us unlock the first time. That logically raises some questions...
  • StarSon
    7466 posts Member
    Options

Slippery slope much?

Yes, because that's what you're asking. Why just *this* change should be part of some kind of welcome message? Who gets to pick what new players are shown? When are they shown it?
    Again, where is a new player supposed to find out that the change from 5 to 8 was just temporary? How is a new player supposed to research an answer to something when they couldn't even know it was an issue? And CG should definitely let players know that a fundamental aspect of the game is just temporary. A simple pop up telling a new player that 8 attempts is temporary would have made all of this a non-issue.

By perusing the forums. Yes, the patch notes just say it was changed. But everyone who was playing at the time knew it was stated to be temporary. Not hard to find information if they care to look.
This discussion has been closed.