Fix GA Championship Match up

Prev13456789
I am matched up vs a player that has 400k more character GP than me. How the hell is this a fair matchup? At least before when we matched straight GP you can see why your matched up. This **** isn't even right. Everyone in my GA shard has 350k to 400k more GP than me. Have you guys thought of "If than" statements for your coding? There are tons of players it shouldn't be this hard to find matches. Statement one Find a player with Gp +/- 50k GP difference. Statement two If character GP isn't also within 50k GP difference find a new match. Shouldn't be this hard to make a matching algorithm. There has been tons of practice for regular GA plus all that practice form TW to give what 1 or 2 years of testing to make a decent matching algorithm?

Replies

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Lol - at least your not the poor sap in my bracket who has no g13, no Malak, and a 6* Padme. Some of the guys in our group of 8 have 3 or even 4 g13 Sith Empire, including 7*, g13 Malak and maxed GR teams.

The first match GAC match algorithm is horrid. :D
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Small
    1 posts Member
    Options
    Same here. Im in div 2 and my opponent is in div 1..... with 1 mil gp difference...
    Where do i make complain that actually developers going to hear?
  • Options
    My 1st opponent has 500k more GP. It will be a challenge 😀
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    I apologize. I misstyped. One player has 7 g13 characters. One has none. CG keeps using phrases like "close matches" and "rosters that look more like their own"....but I think their definition of those terms is different than...well, pretty much everyone on the planet.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I honestly thought it would take longer for the first whinepost.

You win the medal OP!
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    VonZant wrote: »

You win the medal OP!

He's tied with a similar post on megathread sent at the same minute.
  • Wrathor
    34 posts Member
    Options
    I'm in with 6 that have 450-550k more toon gp, that's 5 full g12 squads with zetas, have you got a clue @CG_Carrie.
    there shouldn't be more than 100k disparity tbh never mind 500k+
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    No_Try wrote: »

You win the medal OP!

He's tied with a similar post on megathread sent at the same minute.

Sorry OP. You lost the medal!
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Options
    I get to battle a smurfed account
  • Nihilmus
    45 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    The poor guy I’m about to face has 400k more GP than me and he still has no chance. His best team is NS and got virtually almost no journey character unlocked.. except CLS.
  • Options
    I can’t believe we’re seeing these posts again.

The algorithm has been identified.

GP of # of defence toons x 2 will be very close within your 8-bracket.

Stop mentioning total GP differences please.
  • Options
    what’s the definition of a “defence toon”?
  • Options
    Sigh...

You can set X defence teams, each containing 5 toons.

For me, it’s 8 teams, so 40 toons on defence.

The matchmaking is counting GP of my top 80. And matching me with people who have a similar GP for their top 80.
  • Options
    Sigh...

The matchmaking is counting GP of my top 80. And matching me with people who have a similar GP for their top 80.

Regardless of what they say the algorithm is some of these matchups just dont add up.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    NIGHTMAN wrote: »
    Sigh...

Regardless of what they say the algorithm is some of these matchups just dont add up.

Can you showcase us how it doesn't add up? You can use DSR bot which auto calculates necessary efficient GPs in comparison. Are there mismatches there? See mine:

dob7uow2jidp.png
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    The algorithm is working as intended but the matchmaking algorithm is only part of the picture here.

Each GAC we all start back at Carbonite League so we are are going to see some of these crazy-looking matchups.

After the first GA of the GAC, some players will have advanced to Bronzium League and others will not. When that is factored in, matchmaking for the second GA should look a bit better.

By the third and fourth GAs of the GAC, matchmaking should look pretty interesting for most players
  • Options
    Same old issue with using GP as indicator for matchmaking. Had this exhausting discussion before. Five 7 g12 meta teams are not the same as five 7 g12 non-meta teams.

I am going against an opponent with similar GP, but he has JKR, DR, Traya and the other usual metas. I don’t have any Revan or Traya.

And don’t tell me it is fair because the opponent just made smarter choices which toons to farm. With that argument you could pair a level 25 player with a level 85 player and argue it is fair because the level 85 player was smarter spending more time leveling up.

Not until meta teams are considered in matchmaking it will be fair. (If there is a thing like “fair” in that context)
  • Options
    Ok wasn't aware of it matching top X toons. My question comes than, How does that make a difference really? Players with a deeper rosters will have an advantage since they will have more options beyond their top. So a player with 5.5mil GP can match up technically with a player that has 4.1 GP. Their top toons have a match up difference of just a few GP points but the 5.5 mil player has 6 extra teams to choose from to match up with vs the 4.1 mil player that cant mess up on any attack nor have more than one option per team to use. since they wont have any extra teams to use. That doesn't even count having meta teams or not.
  • Xlor1
    107 posts Member
    Options
    If it's working as intended then it needs changing. For the second championship running, I've zero chance of winning any. I'm FTP, 4.1mill. these are all 600-900k above me, g13s galore, 7* malaks, money money money. All these guys have all the top teams maxed. It's like I'm in the wrong 'bracket'. It was my favourite mode but it's pointless now.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Garios129 wrote: »
    I am matched up vs a player that has 400k more character GP than me. How the hell is this a fair matchup? At least before when we matched straight GP you can see why your matched up.

You still can. Compare your 'relevant GP' to your opponent's 'relevant GP'.

Total (character) GP is irrelevant.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    I am matched up vs a player that has 400k more character GP than me. How the hell is this a fair matchup? At least before when we matched straight GP you can see why your matched up.

So is "relevant GP" :

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/208118/why-relevant-gp-doesnt-work-for-gac-mm/p1

• VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

So is "relevant GP" :

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/208118/why-relevant-gp-doesnt-work-for-gac-mm/p1

The problem is no matchmaking will ever be completely fair. Even if you were matched against your identical twin mods and gesr would be different. It's just not practical or possible. Just look at every major sport and how lopsided some of the round 1 matchup are. This is the way of things.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    Ok wasn't aware of it matching top X toons. My question comes than, How does that make a difference really? Players with a deeper rosters will have an advantage since they will have more options beyond their top. So a player with 5.5mil GP can match up technically with a player that has 4.1 GP. Their top toons have a match up difference of just a few GP points but the 5.5 mil player has 6 extra teams to choose from to match up with vs the 4.1 mil player that cant mess up on any attack nor have more than one option per team to use. since they wont have any extra teams to use. That doesn't even count having meta teams or not.

What we tell you doesn't matter. CG may keep changing matchmaking methods. Even if they try 100 different methods, they will never even try one that takes into account specifics toons. It will always stay as player advantage.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

So is "relevant GP" :

The problem is no matchmaking will ever be completely fair. Even if you were matched against your identical twin mods and gesr would be different. It's just not practical or possible. Just look at every major sport and how lopsided some of the round 1 matchup are. This is the way of things.

That's a horrible analogy - in sporting events the first round match-ups of tournaments are supposed to be lopsided. Lol. That's what the regular season is for. The top seeds play the bottom seeds.

CG has specifically stated, several times now, that GAC is supposed to consist of "close matches". Imho, and probably most who are trying to be non biased, a match-up having a person with 7 g13 including a g13 maxed Malak team, a g13 GG sep team and a maxed GR team pitted against a guy with no g13, no Malak and a 6* Padmé with 1 zeta isn't going to be "close" - not by a long shot.

• VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options

So is "relevant GP" :

That's a horrible analogy - in sporting events the first round match-ups of tournaments are supposed to be lopsided. Lol. That's what the regular season is for. The top seeds play the bottom seeds.

CG has specifically stated, several times now, that GAC is supposed to consist of "close matches". Imho, and probably most who are trying to be non biased, a match-up having a person with 7 g13 including a g13 maxed Malak team, a g13 GG sep team and a maxed GR team pitted against a guy with no g13, no Malak and a 6* Padmé with 1 zeta isn't going to be "close" - not by a long shot.

Its not a terrible analogy. The matches will get closer and closer (if the ladder works correctly).

There is absolutely zero chance that every player will get a close matchup every round. Zero. Chance. They can make it as close as possible and it will get better as the ladder progresses. But your expectations are unrealistic, IMHO.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

So is "relevant GP" :

Its not a terrible analogy. The matches will get closer and closer (if the ladder works correctly).
    They don't have a font big enough for that "if" - CG can't fix the 1,000 point scoring glitch. But we're to believe that they have come up with nan effective ladder system?
    :D

• Options

Except that not all the relevant gp is being weighed. It only takes into account defense teams ×2. Someone that has a more expansive roster will have more versatility to attack that isn't being counted. And pilots will weigh more heavily with less benefits- think g12+ biggs and ackbaar. Finally, the person with the overall significantly higher gp tends to have played longer which translates to having had more time to mod farm.
  • NIGHTMAN
    110 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

The matchmaking is counting GP of my top 80. And matching me with people who have a similar GP for their top 80. [/quote]

Regardless of what they say the algorithm is some of these matchups just dont add up.[/quote]

Can you showcase us how it doesn't add up? You can use DSR bot which auto calculates necessary efficient GPs in comparison. Are there mismatches there? See mine:

dob7uow2jidp.png
    [/quote]

Sure - here is an example. Higher GP and better toons.

jfww4i9n2ata.png
    f4842hxzho8q.png

• No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    NIGHTMAN wrote: »

Regardless of what they say the algorithm is some of these matchups just dont add up.[/quote]

dob7uow2jidp.png
    [/quote]

Sure - here is an example. Higher GP and better toons.

jfww4i9n2ata.png
    f4842hxzho8q.png

[/quote]

Nah, no can do. It shows nothing about the algo not working as intended. You need to show two -effective gp- figures not matching with eachother. You may not like how the current algo works, but I've yet to see an indication it doesn't work.