Community Manager?

Replies

• Options
    Shouldn't we also have a road ahead? It is the middle of JUNE. Why have they done nothing?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    ZAP wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Lio wrote: »
    AverageTed wrote: »
    CamaroAMF wrote: »
    Crumb’s job as Community Manager is whatever CG tells him is job is as Community Manager. If he wasn’t following orders from his leadership I’d imagine we’d have a new Community Manager.

There are many layers to what and who restrict his ability to communicate.

These layers are all put in place by EA and/or CG.

If their company policies prevent their community manager from communicating regularly with the community, they might want to take a look at those.

I don't think the challenges are company policies. I imagine they're more related to the number of companies involved (Disney, LucasArts, EA, CG) and divisions built into those. It's arguably the most popular IP right now for a mobile game so I'm sure there is a ton of oversight.

So, SW BF2 didn’t have the exact same companies involved?

MSF don’t have the same number of companies involved?

It sounds like Kyno has a little more information than he’s allowed to share, otherwise he would.

We’ll never know the reason communication changed and is where it is now until someone who actually knows tells us.

However, we can make some educated assumptions based on other games.

It’s probably not a Disney issue as they are the parent company of many games that interact with their player base far more than this.

It’s probably not a LucasArts issue for the same reason it’s probably not a Disney issue.

It’s probably not an EA issue for the same reason as the 2 above.

So, unless it is one of the 3 above and they are treating this game completely different than all their other games, then we’re left with CG.

Also of note is that CG is the only EA game that canceled it’s game changers program.

There’s a pattern here that’s not difficult to spot.

What other mobile games are those 3 companies all partnered on?

How many of them are mobile games?

I would agree there are patterns but you seem to also be ignoring connections that dont suit your sentiment.

Can you explain how a mobile game somehow is special from other platforms you think exempts them from community engagement?

MSF, DSA and RSA are all mobile games that engage with their community, so even that assertion holds zero water.

Those games aren’t 4.8 years old you say? Again, what does that have to do with community engagement unless the game is in its end phase and closing down?

As we've discussed each of those games has different relationships and partnerships, so I'm not sure where the parallels are, but to say they can do it why cant this game doesnt exactly hold water either.

I appreciate your desire to bring in the "game is dying" into the conversation, I know it can be hard to keep things going in a fully constructive manner, but you do realize that games in different stages have different goals.

Didnt one of the games similar to this do a bunch of marketing at the beginning paying YTs to promote then, just to get people in the door, and then things kind of fall apart as those same YT entities left. (Because they stopped paying)

My point wasnt to say that this game does exactly what it should for its age, or however you tried to reword my previous statement. My point is that those games are in an earlier stage of what they are doing and it's very likely they will be doing things differently as time moves on.
  • Options
    Damodamo wrote: »
    I’d just like to say can we all take a moment and remember that @Kyno isnt an employee of cg or ea, he volunteers his time on here. Not sure on why the hate is being levelled towards him, as he is in totally the same boat as the rest of us, only difference is he’s being fobbed off directly rather than indirectly.

@CG_SBCrumb @CG_RyDiggs @CG_TopHat guys, help your default community manager out yeah? He’s struggling..

Also.. seems to be a bunch of EA employees here... @EA_Joz @EA_Rtas @EA_Cian @EA_Jesse @EA_Lanna that don’t seem to be joining in anything here... care to comment guys?!?

He sticks his own foot in it regularly by defending indefensible situations. The fact that he ISNT an employee makes it worse

People assume I'm defending something when I'm just trying to understand the parallels and gather information, because that's the only way to try and have a fruitful conversation that could bring about changes.

Yet there has been no "fruitful conversation". And that is what drives the community absolutely bonkers.
    Chained since '16
  • Damodamo
    1587 posts Member
    Options
    Yet there has been no "fruitful conversation". And that is what drives the community absolutely bonkers.

Maybe, and I’m just saying maybe, @Kyno us trying to get an accurate description of issues from a variety of forum users to put before crumb/someone/whoever is responsible for the forum mods and then, possibly have a ‘fruitful conversation’ with that unnamed person and point out the forums issues/concerns and then possibly they might reply to them.

Just saying, not sure how many people on here have had to be involved in corporate politics in a workplace, but sometimes you have to take 10 steps back to get 2 forward..
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I’d just like to say can we all take a moment and remember that Kyno isnt an employee of cg or ea, he volunteers his time on here. Not sure on why the hate is being levelled towards him, as he is in totally the same boat as the rest of us, only difference is he’s being fobbed off directly rather than indirectly.

CG_SBCrumb CG_RyDiggs CG_TopHat guys, help your default community manager out yeah? He’s struggling..

Also.. seems to be a bunch of EA employees here... EA_Joz EA_Rtas EA_Cian EA_Jesse EA_Lanna that don’t seem to be joining in anything here... care to comment guys?!?

He sticks his own foot in it regularly by defending indefensible situations. The fact that he ISNT an employee makes it worse

People assume I'm defending something when I'm just trying to understand the parallels and gather information, because that's the only way to try and have a fruitful conversation that could bring about changes.

On the topic of communication there have been, we as a group have spoken about things like this a few times now in a "newer setup" with an end goal of getting better feedback from the player base to the dev team, my focus is usually on communication.
  • Options

Maybe, and I’m just saying maybe, @Kyno us trying to get an accurate description of issues from a variety of forum users to put before crumb/someone/whoever is responsible for the forum mods and then, possibly have a ‘fruitful conversation’ with that unnamed person and point out the forums issues/concerns and then possibly they might reply to them.

Just saying, not sure how many people on here have had to be involved in corporate politics in a workplace, but sometimes you have to take 10 steps back to get 2 forward..

I'm sorry, did every CG employee lose their forum login information?

They know what's what.

Kyno doesn't have to gather "just the facts ma'am", and present a powerpoint on this.
    Chained since '16
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Maybe, and I’m just saying maybe, Kyno us trying to get an accurate description of issues from a variety of forum users to put before crumb/someone/whoever is responsible for the forum mods and then, possibly have a ‘fruitful conversation’ with that unnamed person and point out the forums issues/concerns and then possibly they might reply to them.

They know what's what.

Kyno doesn't have to gather "just the facts ma'am", and present a powerpoint on this.

Correct I dont have to, but that doesn't mean I dont choose to. (I dont do PP for them, they dont pay me enough :smiley: ) I find it much better to be aware of as many details as possible when going I to a conversation when my end goal is to push for a change.
  • Damodamo
    1587 posts Member
    Options

They know what's what.

No he doesn’t, but if you have to ask questions of someone at work, do you assume they know everything and just ask them ‘what’s going on?’ Or do you go to them with ‘this, this and this is an issue right now, can I have a word about it?’

I know which I would do.
  • Options

They know what's what.

No he doesn’t, but if you have to ask questions of someone at work, do you assume they know everything and just ask them ‘what’s going on?’ Or do you go to them with ‘this, this and this is an issue right now, can I have a word about it?’

I know which I would do.

Both is a good option.
    I have a bad feeling about this.
  • Damodamo
    1587 posts Member
    Options
    @Ggdjqjchsabjdj

But only one is going to get you an answer that would satisfy what you need to know.
  • avihas
    253 posts Member
    Options
    Crumb’s job as Community Manager is whatever CG tells him is job is as Community Manager. If he wasn’t following orders from his leadership I’d imagine we’d have a new Community Manager.

If their company policies prevent their community manager from communicating regularly with the community, they might want to take a look at those.

I don't think the challenges are company policies. I imagine they're more related to the number of companies involved (Disney, LucasArts, EA, CG) and divisions built into those. It's arguably the most popular IP right now for a mobile game so I'm sure there is a ton of oversight.

It sounds like Kyno has a little more information than he’s allowed to share, otherwise he would.

We’ll never know the reason communication changed and is where it is now until someone who actually knows tells us.

It’s probably not a Disney issue as they are the parent company of many games that interact with their player base far more than this.

It’s probably not a LucasArts issue for the same reason it’s probably not a Disney issue.

So, unless it is one of the 3 above and they are treating this game completely different than all their other games, then we’re left with CG.

Also of note is that CG is the only EA game that canceled it’s game changers program.

I would agree there are patterns but you seem to also be ignoring connections that dont suit your sentiment.

Can you explain how a mobile game somehow is special from other platforms you think exempts them from community engagement?

MSF, DSA and RSA are all mobile games that engage with their community, so even that assertion holds zero water.

Those games aren’t 4.8 years old you say? Again, what does that have to do with community engagement unless the game is in its end phase and closing down?
    ....but you do realize that games in different stages have different goals.

We're all well aware to what are the goals of this game atm:
    No rework of an old characters, delay and/or cancel raids, don't communicate, allegedly allow cheaters to play while banning the real PR person, mainly publish packs and sometimes new toons, no sandbox, delay RA....
    I believe that this stage/goal is called "milking"
  • Options
    @kyno whatever you say,you cant twist things anymore,there are many Social media and we can find tons of Info we want in these times we Live in.

Scopely bought foxnext and i am sure foxnext answers to many ppl concerning marvel lore,ip restrictions and what not and their Communication lately has been stellar,remove your heads from the ground and see whats going on or everyone from here will move to msf,which frankly i am very happy about it.
  • Options
    Could someone briefly explain what the “communication fiasco” was last year for the new people to the forums? And do we know why it meant that they could communicate in the complex business partnerships they’re in before that but couldn’t afterwards?
    People seem to be focusing on CG vs EA vs Disney but you all agree that there used to be better communication so what changed?
  • Options
    I’d just like to say can we all take a moment and remember that Kyno isnt an employee of cg or ea, he volunteers his time on here. Not sure on why the hate is being levelled towards him, as he is in totally the same boat as the rest of us, only difference is he’s being fobbed off directly rather than indirectly.

CG_SBCrumb CG_RyDiggs CG_TopHat guys, help your default community manager out yeah? He’s struggling..

Also.. seems to be a bunch of EA employees here... EA_Joz EA_Rtas EA_Cian EA_Jesse EA_Lanna that don’t seem to be joining in anything here... care to comment guys?!?

On the topic of communication there have been, we as a group have spoken about things like this a few times now in a "newer setup" with an end goal of getting better feedback from the player base to the dev team, my focus is usually on communication.

Can you elaborate on you mean by "We as a group?"
    I genuinely believe you have the best interests of the community in mind. However I think there is some confusion as to how much information you are party to that the rest of us are not and how much is speculation.
    For me, the differences you point out between this and other games seem like excuses not reasons (not that I believe that's your intention).
    As far as the death of the game, like every mobile I've played this one goes through ebbs and flows. So far all the others have reached a point where they didn't recover. I hope this doesn't follow suit but it will require a change because being Star Wars will only carry it for so much longer.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    avihas wrote: »

....but you do realize that games in different stages have different goals.

We're all well aware to what are the goals of this game atm:
    No rework of an old characters, delay and/or cancel raids, don't communicate, allegedly allow cheaters to play while banning the real PR person, mainly publish packs and sometimes new toons, no sandbox, delay RA....
    I believe that this stage/goal is called "milking"

Good hype. Dont worry about being constructive.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Vi1teran_ wrote: »

Can you elaborate on you mean by "We as a group?"
    I genuinely believe you have the best interests of the community in mind. However I think there is some confusion as to how much information you are party to that the rest of us are not and how much is speculation.
    For me, the differences you point out between this and other games seem like excuses not reasons (not that I believe that's your intention).
    As far as the death of the game, like every mobile I've played this one goes through ebbs and flows. So far all the others have reached a point where they didn't recover. I hope this doesn't follow suit but it will require a change because being Star Wars will only carry it for so much longer.

We as a group are the volunteer moderation team.

The information I have are based on responses to questions and comments we have made on this topic.

They are differences, that is all I am pointing out, believe it or not, I am not here to convince anyone of anything. I simply have a different opinion, and try to share what I see from the different vantage point I have.
  • Damodamo
    1587 posts Member
    Options
    @Kyno your expecting people in here to be reasonable? Dude..
  • TheMaster12345
    607 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Who are the other moderators? I've never seen them. The only other moderator I've seen is Sunnie1978.
  • Options
    @Kyno your expecting people in here to be reasonable? Dude..

I suspect most people who read the forums are reasonable, even if most of the people who post are not.
  • Options

As we've discussed each of those games has different relationships and partnerships, so I'm not sure where the parallels are, but to say they can do it why cant this game doesnt exactly hold water either.

I appreciate your desire to bring in the "game is dying" into the conversation, I know it can be hard to keep things going in a fully constructive manner, but you do realize that games in different stages have different goals.

Didnt one of the games similar to this do a bunch of marketing at the beginning paying YTs to promote then, just to get people in the door, and then things kind of fall apart as those same YT entities left. (Because they stopped paying)

My point wasnt to say that this game does exactly what it should for its age, or however you tried to reword my previous statement. My point is that those games are in an earlier stage of what they are doing and it's very likely they will be doing things differently as time moves on.

But it does hold water when we are talking about setting up a discord or a facebook. Don't even say they can't. That's absurd.

And regardless of how long a game has been around, it doesn't mean there aren't ways to adapt and change and become better.

Can you honestly say the communication has been better as of, say the last year?

I mean, we can search through dev posts and denote the frequency and impact of posts.

I am willing to be they were more frequent and more impactful in previous years.

Yes, things change, but this seems to be for the worst.

At this point, you have to realize, it is not just 1 person here and there coming onto the forums, or the same disgruntled gamer making the same claim about communication. Surely right?

It's HORRIBLE. And you know it. Please ask them to improve! Because they aren't listening to us.
  • Options
    I'm curious what you guys think this thread will accomplish? I don't see the point in beating on @CG_SBCrumb as his hands have been clearly tied by someone or something is going on behind the scenes that we are not allowed to be privy to. Do I like it? No. No I do not and it is very frustrating, but we need to direct our frustration to the proper places. If I knew where that was I would tell you. But whatever we are doing now isn't working as we get zero responses from CG.

It is now June 12th and still no word on that Road Ahead. If @CG_TopHat @CG_CapGaSP @CG_SBCrumb want to throw us a bone and try to calm the waters some, THAT is where I would be focused. Something needs to be said about the cheating scandal as well, mind you, but telling us what is coming and then following that up with something very, very shortly after in game would be the best thing they can do right now. We need that new game mode, or at least to be told what it is, because right now it looks like there never was a new game mode coming.
  • AlexanderG
    1928 posts Member
    Options
    Community Manager Job Description:

• Options

They know what's what.

I know which I would do.

Don't be naive about whether or not they know what issues need addressing. A good company always has it's finger on the pulse of itself. They pay people to do analytics and crunch numbers and be in the know. They don't need Kyno to tell them. They have all the tools at their disposal.

And yet they still have their head in the sand. This isn't something new. This is the their modus operandi. They do it all the time.
    Chained since '16
  • Vuko
    12 posts Member
    Options
    I’d just like to say can we all take a moment and remember that @Kyno isnt an employee of cg or ea, he volunteers his time on here. Not sure on why the hate is being levelled towards him, as he is in totally the same boat as the rest of us, only difference is he’s being fobbed off directly rather than...
    It’s easy to explain. He is almost the only one from CG who is very vocal in this forum and he doesn’t even work for them. A lot of people are directing their anger and frustration towards him. It’s not fair to kyno but understandable. CG is more or less ignoring big chunks of this Forum and kyno has to play devils advocate which makes him the „big target“ for a lot of users here.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Who are the other moderators? I've never seen them. The only other moderator I've seen is Sunnie1978.

There are about 8 of us here, but there are also volunteers at Answers HQ and reddit. Some in the group may not be in those groups, but I dont know everyone in that level of detail yet.
  • TVF
    36625 posts Member
    Options
    I’d just like to say can we all take a moment and remember that @Kyno isnt an employee of cg or ea, he volunteers his time on here. Not sure on why the hate is being levelled towards him, as he is in totally the same boat as the rest of us, only difference is he’s being fobbed off directly rather than indirectly.

@CG_SBCrumb @CG_RyDiggs @CG_TopHat guys, help your default community manager out yeah? He’s struggling..

Also.. seems to be a bunch of EA employees here... @EA_Joz @EA_Rtas @EA_Cian @EA_Jesse @EA_Lanna that don’t seem to be joining in anything here... care to comment guys?!?

That's unfortunately how this place has always worked. There's no place here for logic, just outrage.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

But it does hold water when we are talking about setting up a discord or a facebook. Don't even say they can't. That's absurd.

And regardless of how long a game has been around, it doesn't mean there aren't ways to adapt and change and become better.

Can you honestly say the communication has been better as of, say the last year?

I mean, we can search through dev posts and denote the frequency and impact of posts.

I am willing to be they were more frequent and more impactful in previous years.

At this point, you have to realize, it is not just 1 person here and there coming onto the forums, or the same disgruntled gamer making the same claim about communication. Surely right?

It's HORRIBLE. And you know it. Please ask them to improve! Because they aren't listening to us.

If you mean the devs setting up a discord or FB, then yes it is not that simple.....but you are correct they could but it would not be simple and it doesnt mean they would be able to "more freely talk" in some other location.

I honestly do think the RA/QA/SoTG setup is better now than it was previously, and that is a change that was made in the last year.

Frequent yes 100%.

Impactful.....not sure.

We do ask and provide and point them to feedback.

And despite what people think they do see the forums and are almost always aware of things as they are playing out. Sometimes due to timing we may flag them before they had a chance to see it.
  • Iy4oy4s
    2939 posts Member
    Options

If you mean the devs setting up a discord or FB, then yes it is not that simple.....but you are correct they could but it would not be simple and it doesnt mean they would be able to "more freely talk" in some other location.

I honestly do think the RA/QA/SoTG setup is better now than it was previously, and that is a change that was made in the last year.

Frequent yes 100%.

Impactful.....not sure.

We do ask and provide and point them to feedback.

And despite what people think they do see the forums and are almost always aware of things as they are playing out. Sometimes due to timing we may flag them before they had a chance to see it.

So...no Q and A last month...no SoTG last month ( granted because of the twice delayed RA, but still). Last month isn’t the first time they missed their own targets, with no stated reason why.