Commander Ahsoka Shards Cost

Replies

• crzydroid
    7326 posts Moderator
    Options
    So whether or not you realized you shouldn't zero out your currency every conquest, someone needs to explain this increase in price to me because I have a poor memory for these things. Wasn't it 500 for 4 blueprints before, and now it's 550 for 5 shards? That seems like a decrease in price to me. Unless by "increase" you mean the extra 150 is pushing you over what you could get for starting at 0, but that's just the first issue then.
  • Drathuk916
    633 posts Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Drathuk916 wrote: »
    Could you 7* RC in 3 Conquest? No, so there was no way it was following the same anything. This was stated to be a new thing. Seems prudent to wait, and plan as best you can. (Usually that plan doesnt involve spending all of a new currency)

My argument is to follow the patterns set forth, which has built up the advice we always see. Manage your resources. Not sure why this doednt seem to apply to this situation, but does for all others.

I get it I shouldn’t have used conquest game mode as a data point to make my decisions because they’ve never released a 7* character this way. Instead, I should have used completely unrelated modes to decide how one should plan.
  • th3evo
    358 posts Member
    Options
    crzydroid wrote: »
    So whether or not you realized you shouldn't zero out your currency every conquest, someone needs to explain this increase in price to me because I have a poor memory for these things. Wasn't it 500 for 4 blueprints before, and now it's 550 for 5 shards? That seems like a decrease in price to me. Unless by "increase" you mean the extra 150 is pushing you over what you could get for starting at 0, but that's just the first issue then.

4 ships shards usually have the same value as 5 character shards. Look in Cantina Store or GW Store etc.
    It's not a dramatic price increase but when it's combined with the change that brought the shards to Sector 2 it feels way more significant.
    If you want to unlock CAT and any future character as soon as possible you can't really spend the currency on anything else. Since you end up with net negative you will eventually run out of the currency.
  • crzydroid
    7326 posts Moderator
    Options
    th3evo wrote: »

4 ships shards usually have the same value as 5 character shards. Look in Cantina Store or GW Store etc.
    It's not a dramatic price increase but when it's combined with the change that brought the shards to Sector 2 it feels way more significant.
    If you want to unlock CAT and any future character as soon as possible you can't really spend the currency on anything else. Since you end up with net negative you will eventually run out of the currency.

That's true of relative value of blueprints vs shards in the other stores...I guess I wouldn't have necessarily seen it as an increase in this context as it's a new currency, a special release cadence, and you're getting more of the new thing. Sometimes the shiny is a ship, sometimes a person.

At any rate, the saving currency is it's own thing anyway. I guess I never assumed I would be sure to buy all razor crest blueprints under the old system without carrying some currency over. I do like to have a cushion for stim packs, etc.

They said you can unlock after three conquests getting max rewards and buying all shipments, which is true. Whether they realized given the economy it was not possible to buy all shipments if you started from 0, I can't say. I don't think it was a deliberately misleading or malicious statement. It remains true that you can finish her in three if you carried even just a tiny amount over. You might have to give up on more RC if you want her in three as opposed to four, but I think that was implied or at least, predictable. It's also been explicitly stated that consumables disappear but currency carries over. So there's never been a lot of incentive to zero out if you had your sights set on the shinies.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Could you 7* RC in 3 Conquest? No, so there was no way it was following the same anything. This was stated to be a new thing. Seems prudent to wait, and plan as best you can. (Usually that plan doesnt involve spending all of a new currency)

My argument is to follow the patterns set forth, which has built up the advice we always see. Manage your resources. Not sure why this doednt seem to apply to this situation, but does for all others.

I get it I shouldn’t have used conquest game mode as a data point to make my decisions because they’ve never released a 7* character this way. Instead, I should have used completely unrelated modes to decide how one should plan.

Yes, you should look at the whole when making your plan. The same people making decisions have their finger prints all over the game. Using the information you have on hand is always a good idea.

They have never released any characters through this game mode. They made it pretty clear this game mode was going to serve that purpose. They capped it so players couldn't hoard and rush a toon, which was a hint you were going to be able to purchase shards. Saving currency with the idea that you may be able to gain shards at some higher rate from the store, seems pretty obvious from all the context clues we have.
  • Options

Yes, you should look at the whole when making your plan. The same people making decisions have their finger prints all over the game. Using the information you have on hand is always a good idea.

They have never released any characters through this game mode. They made it pretty clear this game mode was going to serve that purpose. They capped it so players couldn't hoard and rush a toon, which was a hint you were going to be able to purchase shards. Saving currency with the idea that you may be able to gain shards at some higher rate from the store, seems pretty obvious from all the context clues we have.

There are assumptions being made on both sides...in either case it's poor a poor communication style period to have to read into or make assumptions into a unlock requirement being made by the game make itself.

Yes, their statement is 100% accurate, but does not include all the information necessary and is not excusable by redirecting the blame on the player base to "manage your resources better". This just adds to a long line of poor communication by CG and is sad that this is now the expectation from a billon dollar company.

• th3evo
    358 posts Member
    Options
    th3evo wrote: »

That's true of relative value of blueprints vs shards in the other stores...I guess I wouldn't have necessarily seen it as an increase in this context as it's a new currency, a special release cadence, and you're getting more of the new thing. Sometimes the shiny is a ship, sometimes a person.

At any rate, the saving currency is it's own thing anyway. I guess I never assumed I would be sure to buy all razor crest blueprints under the old system without carrying some currency over. I do like to have a cushion for stim packs, etc.

They said you can unlock after three conquests getting max rewards and buying all shipments, which is true. Whether they realized given the economy it was not possible to buy all shipments if you started from 0, I can't say. I don't think it was a deliberately misleading or malicious statement. It remains true that you can finish her in three if you carried even just a tiny amount over. You might have to give up on more RC if you want her in three as opposed to four, but I think that was implied or at least, predictable. It's also been explicitly stated that consumables disappear but currency carries over. So there's never been a lot of incentive to zero out if you had your sights set on the shinies.

Don't forget you spend currency on removing Data Disks as well. I know it's 'only 5' but it adds up over time. These changes further disincentivize players from doing that.
  • crzydroid
    7326 posts Moderator
    Options
    LukeDukem8 wrote: »

There are assumptions being made on both sides...in either case it's poor a poor communication style period to have to read into or make assumptions into a unlock requirement being made by the game make itself.

Yes, their statement is 100% accurate, but does not include all the information necessary and is not excusable by redirecting the blame on the player base to "manage your resources better". This just adds to a long line of poor communication by CG and is sad that this is now the expectation from a billon dollar company.

I mean, on the one hand, it doesn't make a difference if they had added the qualifying assumption that you carried over currency to be able to unlock her in three, because by the time of the announcement you couldn't really unspend currency. You maybe could have stopped spending your last few pennies in between, assuming your store was getting lucky with stun guns.

What we have here is a situation where people who zeroed out thought they could get her in three, and are now finding out they have to wait four. I myself am finding out that I shouldn't buy all RCs this time around if I want CAT in three instead of four. I only had about 1,000 saved up. Maybe I should've saved more, but oh well. This will be no different than those times I skipped a new legendary the first time around.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    I remember when I bought my first house. They said I could have it after 3 payments of 400k (it’s a small house in San Francisco). I made the 3 payments and asked for the keys, and they said I had to pay 500k more.

I said, “Wait a minute, you said I could have the house after 3 payments of 400k!” They replied, “You can! After 3 payments of 400k...and a payment of 500k. Whaaat? It IS true you can have it after 3 payments of 400k!

What an absolute joke this is. Of course I have plenty of currency, that’s not the point.

I seriously never thought it could get more disingenuous than “We’re easing the stun gun crunch...by adding a whole new version of stun guns in addition to stun guns,” and yet, here we are.

Unreal
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Iy4oy4s
    2938 posts Member
    Options
    The term "Galaxy of Hoarding" didn't start for no reason...can't see why people are surprised at this. CG gonna CG.
  • TVF
    36625 posts Member
    Options
    Jppc wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    Konju wrote: »
    Bartek wrote: »
    I and it seems quite a few others will be getting her in 3 without that..... but I do agree, we could all just move along, and could have from the beginning.
    Not without some currency saved from before that they failed to mention. Wonder why. Hoarding still seems to be the gold in this game. Otherwise yes, you are right:)

Correct, there is no reason to not hoard any currency for a non locked store. Yes they limited what you can in that store, that to me seemed like a clue to keep a stock of that currency as it is important enough for them to limit that capacity.

It said the exact opposite to me, but transparency on these things would benefit the player base too much and ruin frustration spending, so I get keeping players in the dark. I made my choices and they were right for me at the time. I’ll just have to wait a bit longer...meh.

Why put a cap if they were not going to release something that would require spending?

If something is unclear or not transparent, why spend all the currency, that seems like poor planning.

If they were to release future items and ACTUALLY want us to have them f2p, then the current GET currencies non-cap would be the appropriate solution. It seemed as though they put a cap to force players to spend, or at least stop earning at a certain point.

CAT will be good, but won’t earn me what I got from purchasing the gear instead, so my planning was fine and I accept the outcome. It’s just time after time the devs pull these little word tricks and it is aggravating after a time.

Like I said before, lesson learned for all future announcements: take every single word from the devs with a grain of salt. If it sounds too good to be true, just do the best to find the misleading portion as quickly as possible. Also hoard, hoard, hoard.

It may be a little early to say CAT will not be worth what you have bought with 150 currency from the store, but ok.

Correct the cap was placed so that whatever can be purchased from the store, players will not be able to out pace things by hoarding, but as with anything it always helpful to have a stock to keep the "best pace possible". There is no trick here, it is the "best practice" and has been for a while. That was how many players got thrawn as quickly as they did.

Yes, make sure to villainize them for poor planning...you do you.

For me, it is accurate. She isn’t going to do better in raids than SLKR for weeks.

The wording is misleading. They are being misleading. Their actions are made in order to create profit. Misleading creates these scenarios. It’s plain and simple to see. “Take everything they say with a grain of salt” is not villainizing them. They are Capitalists, that’s it.

But defend the misleading all you want. You do you and continue being a wonderful and tactful mod. #sarcasm

So 150 currency was the difference between having and not having SLKR? Interesting.

As I said you do you.

Every other aspect of the game and stores is about planning and managing resources, but not this one? Sorry I just dont see it.

I made my choices, accept the fact that I will have to wait. 100% worth it for me so far. I don’t see that changing for me.

Obviously you don’t see it, it has been laid out numerous times. 3 Hard Conquest Max crates and merchant purchases to unlock. The devs simply left out the increase in shard price (400 for 4 RC shards equates to 500 for 5 CAT shards would be the player expectation, currently set at 550 for 5 CAT shards) so that 7* unlock in 3 months will only possible with hoarded currency that has a cap on it. If you don’t see this as even slightly disingenuous, then I don’t see any point in continuing further. You’ll simply always be blind to the minor changes they make that CAN (not always) negatively impact players.

Whether or not I managed my resources well or poorly is not a part of the issue with the communication in this case. I’m not upset that I won’t get her, I’m disappointed by the poor communication.

Darn this, said perfectly, I'm glad someone else can see through the **** and not blindly follow it for the lols

And yet you still can't admit your math was wrong, which gives me lols.

And u yet never admit when u r wrong. Potato potato

I have done exactly that many times. Nice try though.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    The term "Galaxy of Hoarding" didn't start for no reason...can't see why people are surprised at this. CG gonna CG.

This is what I mean about not excusing them just because we know its going to happen. The sad part is there really is no accountability, because whales gonna whale and CG gonna CG.
  • Konju
    1180 posts Member
    Options
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »

I guess I was hoping they had actually made some adjustments, but this really just confirms for me that they haven’t.

Whale harder, hoard harder, listen to communication with lower expectations. Fair point: CG gonna CG and there ain’t no way that tiger changing its stripes.
  • Options

I think I’d have less problems with your arguments if you’d at least acknowledge that cg needs to continue to work on its communication. It took three faulty, though I believe reasonable assumptions, for me to be where I’m at. All of them easily solved by better communication from cg.
  • Options

I think I’d have less problems with your arguments if you’d at least acknowledge that cg needs to continue to work on its communication. It took three faulty, though I believe reasonable assumptions, for me to be where I’m at. All of them easily solved by better communication from cg.

Now don't get mad at CG. Math is hard. Especially for them.
  • jessej
    16 posts Member
    Options
    Legend91 wrote: »
    Well, I'm sure a new "woopsie" (bug) is gonna happen in the next ~12 days that needs to get fixed. They can hand out 3 CWC and 150 conquest currency then :smile:

Doubt it. I've already experienced a bug that cost me 195 currency and have yet to hear back from anyone.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

But if something isnt communicated, why spend all your currency? There seemed to be indications that changes were coming, and at that point it's not an assumption to not spend it based on that information alone.

Correct no one has said it had all the information, but there was no benefit to rushing into anything.

I have still yet to see anyone explain any indication that spending all the currency was even an idea, never mind a good one. That is not due to miscommunication, that is a poor plan.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Gifafi wrote: »
    I remember when I bought my first house. They said I could have it after 3 payments of 400k (it’s a small house in San Francisco). I made the 3 payments and asked for the keys, and they said I had to pay 500k more.

I said, “Wait a minute, you said I could have the house after 3 payments of 400k!” They replied, “You can! After 3 payments of 400k...and a payment of 500k. Whaaat? It IS true you can have it after 3 payments of 400k!

What an absolute joke this is. Of course I have plenty of currency, that’s not the point.

I seriously never thought it could get more disingenuous than “We’re easing the stun gun crunch...by adding a whole new version of stun guns in addition to stun guns,” and yet, here we are.

Unreal

The problem with this analogy is that there was no statement of a direct cost, none at all.

CG did not give a price, or even the number of times that this would appear from the merchant.

So no, it's not like that.

If you want to correct that, the bank would have said 3 payments, and you assumed the same as the payments you had on your previous place. Then you find out that in this "new neighborhood" the prices are higher and 3 payments at the new rate is more than you saved.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

I have said many times they need to and are working on communication.

This could have also been solved by one simple idea. Patience.
  • Konju
    1180 posts Member
    Options

But if something isnt communicated, why spend all your currency? There seemed to be indications that changes were coming, and at that point it's not an assumption to not spend it based on that information alone.

Correct no one has said it had all the information, but there was no benefit to rushing into anything.

I have still yet to see anyone explain any indication that spending all the currency was even an idea, never mind a good one. That is not due to miscommunication, that is a poor plan.

To be completely fair, it’s both poor plan and poor communication. But now we know best plan is to keep hoarding away folks and lower expectations around communication. Got it. This is the way.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

To be completely fair, it’s both poor plan and poor communication. But now we know best plan is to keep hoarding away folks and lower expectations around communication. Got it. This is the way.

That has always been the plan, so again not sure why it didnt apply here.....

The reason why this falls more in the poor planning field, is that, that is the thing within the players control.
  • TargetEadu
    1576 posts Member
    Options
    Gifafi wrote: »

Unreal

If you want to correct that, the bank would have said 3 payments, and you assumed the same as the payments you had on your previous place. Then you find out that in this "new neighborhood" the prices are higher and 3 payments at the new rate is more than you saved.

People would definitely still be mad at the bank for pulling that, especially in this scenario where prices are hidden until they need payment... but it is something banks do. And this is a lot more accurate than a bait-and-switch analogy, in my opinion.
  • Konju
    1180 posts Member
    Options

That has always been the plan, so again not sure why it didnt apply here.....

The reason why this falls more in the poor planning field, is that, that is the thing within the players control.

It’s both, and expectations were set with RC to unlock within the timeframe without a hoard. Players could choose what they spent their currency on and if they didn’t unlock RC, that’s on them. Breaking that expectation is on the devs and poor communication. So I will settle (complete compromise) with both not more on the players errors as you see it.
  • Konju
    1180 posts Member
    Options
    Also lowering expectations around dev communication should not be a realistic plan. 😂 but it is what it is.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

But if something isnt communicated......

Let me stop you right there....This is my ENTIRE point. Everything wasn't communicated. There is no reason to go any further in your argument. How can anyone plan if they don't have all the information?. Not assumed information...

But I will oblige with your further points.

This is a game, people who may not be as savy as you and some other veterans are going to spend their resources to buy the gear they need to actually play the game. why fault them for actually spending their currency when there was no clear direction to do otherwise.

And one step further is CG clearly made an attempt to stop hoarding by capping the energy limit. So if we are going to play the assumption game, it stands for reason to assume hoarded currency would be necessary for the unlock in 3 GCs.

How can you plan if you dont have all the information..... very easily. Plan on needing as much as you can to be as flexible as you feel you need.

Unless you can explain why spending everything is a good plan when you feel that you dont have all the information?

Players ask for advice on many things and a few key points will always pop up, patience, resource managment, and trying to stay flexible, but focused on a plan. Players should have a clear direction. This game mode as been introduced as a vehicle to release characters. They specifically mention buying shards in the store. If your plan is to do so, why wouldnt you prepare to do so? If your plan was not and you needed the gear, that is a choice you can make too, but its not anyone elses fault of you cant also get the character too.
  • Options

There you go again making your own assumptions. It was perfectly reasonable to assume cg wasn’t going to introduce a new conquest hero after only two hard conquests. Especially considering had the aborted conquest not taken place the early unlockers of rc would have happened during this conquest ( 56 x2 plus 24 is only 136). I had planned to stockpile during this conquest 500-1000 currency cause the next conquest seemed the earliest it was reasonable to expect a new character. Nevertheless had they announced tano sooner I wouldn’t have spent the currency on gl g12 pieces to accelerate my latest gl prerequisites.

It was also perfectly reasonable to assume you didn’t need more currency than you could earn in a signal conquest in order to buy all available shards for purchase. Shards were 125 each on rc, so if you planned for the increase to five and therefore 15 shards costing 1875 (like I had), you were still okay if assumption one was wrong.

Now they also increased the available shards to 20 which is where I got into trouble and required you to purchase all available shards to unlock. At some point you have to acknowledge poor communication played a roll in this.
  • Konju
    1180 posts Member
    Options

But if something isnt communicated......

Let me stop you right there....This is my ENTIRE point. Everything wasn't communicated. There is no reason to go any further in your argument. How can anyone plan if they don't have all the information?. Not assumed information...

But I will oblige with your further points.

This is a game, people who may not be as savy as you and some other veterans are going to spend their resources to buy the gear they need to actually play the game. why fault them for actually spending their currency when there was no clear direction to do otherwise.

And one step further is CG clearly made an attempt to stop hoarding by capping the energy limit. So if we are going to play the assumption game, it stands for reason to assume hoarded currency would be necessary for the unlock in 3 GCs.

How can you plan if you dont have all the information..... very easily. Plan on needing as much as you can to be as flexible as you feel you need.

Unless you can explain why spending everything is a good plan when you feel that you dont have all the information?

Players ask for advice on many things and a few key points will always pop up, patience, resource managment, and trying to stay flexible, but focused on a plan. Players should have a clear direction. This game mode as been introduced as a vehicle to release characters. They specifically mention buying shards in the store. If your plan is to do so, why wouldnt you prepare to do so? If your plan was not and you needed the gear, that is a choice you can make too, but its not anyone elses fault of you cant also get the character too.

Completely accurate when judging the cost of RC vs gear during the previous Conquest (where choosing one or the other was actively there), now the adjustment made for CAT requires a previous hoard and is not the same. Poor communication and breaking player expectations.

If someone chooses to buy gear now and not CAT, then 100% on the player.
  • Options

There you go again making your own assumptions. It was perfectly reasonable to assume cg wasn’t going to introduce a new conquest hero after only two hard conquests. Especially considering had the aborted conquest not taken place the early unlockers of rc would have happened during this conquest ( 56 x2 plus 24 is only 136). I had planned to stockpile during this conquest 500-1000 currency cause the next conquest seemed the earliest it was reasonable to expect a new character. Nevertheless had they announced tano sooner I wouldn’t have spent the currency on gl g12 pieces to accelerate my latest gl prerequisites.

It was also perfectly reasonable to assume you didn’t need more currency than you could earn in a signal conquest in order to buy all available shards for purchase. Shards were 125 each on rc, so if you planned for the increase to five and therefore 15 shards costing 1875 (like I had), you were still okay if assumption one was wrong.

Now they also increased the available shards to 20 which is where I got into trouble and required you to purchase all available shards to unlock. At some point you have to acknowledge poor communication played a roll in this.

He acknowledge poor communication....he just feels its the players fault for not being prepared for the poor communication.
  • Options

He acknowledge poor communication....he just feels its the players fault for not being prepared for the poor communication.

Fair point
This discussion has been closed.