Lightspeed bundles .. serving who?

Prev134
Martyboy
25 posts Member
edited December 2023
Who do these serve? Alienate existing fanbase and limited assistance to new players. Having made a purchase this is my reflection. They essentially suck the soul and fun out of the game.
It would make more sense to just offer a GL for 49.99. Pick one with the lowest usage stats such as Ray.
Having invested time upgrading my boundty hunters to relic 7 , seeing 3 characters on offer for 9 99 at relic 5 leaves a nasty taste in my mouth!!!
My main reflection is this .. what's the point in logging in daily, buying crystals, now.
Will new players whom purchase speed bundles stay when you cut out the grind and achievement . I doubt it and sure initial increases in purchases will be offset by significant drops in crystal and other pack purchases.
So who do they really serve.... Long term. My solution is above , a Gl at 49.99.

Post edited by Martyboy on

Replies

• Haugs
    181 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    They “serve” anyone who purchases them. That’s how a pack works.

I’m an existing fan base. They don’t alienate me.

My account’s about 1 year 4 months old, so I’m also a relatively new player. I consider this to be a massive assistance, not a limited one.

I’ve not found this sucks the soul out of the game. I think these provide great catch up opportunities. That said, I’m still bottlenecked by zetas and mods. There’s still plenty for me to do.

I’m not sure how you can make the claim these suck the soul out of the game, but then suggest to just offer GL’s for cost instead of offering packs that expedite the unlock process, but still require we participate in the GL unlock journey. Flagrant logical contradiction there.

It’s “Rey”.

Yes, it’s a valid complaint if you sunk time into gearing characters only for a bundle to be released shortly after that provides relics for those characters. The first generation of light speed bundles were unprecedented and it would’ve been nice if CG had given players a heads up beforehand, but we’re quite aware of these now and have the opportunity to make roster decisions with light speed bundles as a present and future consideration.

The “point” of logging in daily and/or buying crystals is wholly unaffected by the existence of the light speed bundles.

Yes, new players will stay. Light speed bundles give them the opportunity to bridge the gap between themselves and existing players. If anything, these packs give them more incentive to stay.

Perhaps the light speed bundles will result in less purchases of other packs. I’d argue this is a good thing, as CG is providing better value per dollar spent. Can’t conceive why this would be a problem for anyone.

They “serve” anyone who chooses to purchase them, both long and short term.
    Post edited by Haugs on
  • Martyboy
    25 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Blind loyally to everything swogh and beating down debate is also wrong on here 👌 The packs are not a bridge in my opinion and therefore not a solution. There are actually bland and make little difference to old and new players.
  • Options
    Imagine accusing me of blind loyalty to swgoh 😂

I’m debating you because I disagree with just about everything in your post. I’m not “beating down debat(ing)” you. If your opinion has merit, you’re free to defend it.
  • Options
    Martyboy wrote: »
    The packs are not a bridge in my opinion.

Since you’ve edited your post to include this, I’ll reply again.

If an existing account has 7 million GP and a new level 85 account has, say, 1 million GP, and a pack becomes available that boosts the 1 mil GP account 500,000 GP, that 1 mil GP account is 500,000 GP closer to the 7 million GP account.

Literally by definition, the usage of “bridged” is correct. There’s much more nuance involved in the game, but suggesting that the packs aren’t a bridge is a fundamental misunderstanding of the terminology.
  • Haugs
    181 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    There are actually bland and make little difference to old and new players.

Bud, if you’re going to edit an existing post to insert a new thought, just add a new comment.

I’m sorry, but some of the things you say are just factually incorrect. “Bland” is an opinion, and I don’t even really know how it applies here.

The packs make a significant difference to new players. I’m a new player. Thanks to these packs, I was able to insert Rey into my roster planning. Thanks to these packs, I’ll be able to progress on JMLS as soon as I’ve finished farming Rey’s ultimate.
    Post edited by Haugs on
  • Rius
    368 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    The game is not just about your roster it’s for general player base where some are helped and some are not with current one. If this one does not benefit your roster right now the next might.

The BAM pack has a clear purpose. The game has been around for a while and it’s now troublesome to select requirements for new releases which are accessible to all. The new Bokatan will require BAM. So the pack provides an accelerated means for newer players to pick up BAM if they wish to chase the latest character.

They have already accelerated Rey and SLKR to enable players to easily get their first GL. Or indeed those who picked up other GL’s instead too.

So these packs help many players, and so far imo have focused on characters which have been around for a good while. SK was perhaps the most questionable but was priced much higher which off set it a bit.
  • Martyboy
    25 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    LIKEWISE. Jump off and let other people input.
  • Derdhal
    24 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    The point of these packs is help players who never, ever, in their whole life, will be able to obtain all the characters in the game. Or boost some "forgotten" teams you have and you constantly think "I would like to relic them because they can be useful, but there are always new toons to farm".

It's a problem of this kind of games. It's not a matter of "you have to reach level 100 and get the max gear for your character". In this game, faming never ends. We have to farm one character, and another one, and the new one, and now 5 to obtain another one, and so on.

So, these packs help to make the impossible not so impossible.
  • Martyboy
    25 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Derdhal wrote: »
    The point of these packs is help players who never, ever, in their whole life, will be able to obtain all the characters in the game. Or boost some "forgotten" teams you have and you constantly think "I would like to relic them because they can be useful, but there are always new toons to farm".

It's a problem of this kind of games. It's not a matter of "you have to reach level 100 and get the max gear for your character". In this game, faming never ends. We have to farm one character, and another one, and the new one, and now 5 to obtain another one, and so on.

Agreed but like the original pack offered at 89.99 , surely it's time to offer ONE fully upgraded character e.g starkiller , with more planned releases every 3 months.
    and then ONE GL every 16 months.
    That brings true balance.
  • Options
    Derdhal wrote: »

Agreed but like the original pack offered at 89.99 , surely it's time to offer ONE fully upgraded character e.g starkiller , with more planned releases every 3 months.

So the starkiller pack which gave all requirements was not enough?
  • Options
    GL / Journey unlock packs - “suck the soul out of the game.”

Packs that purchase an individual character, GL, journey guide, or otherwise - perfectly fine.

I uh… alrighty, then. Have a good one 😂
  • Options

That's not balance. You can't offer new GL every 16 months if you are releasing one or two per year. Rey and Kylo were released more or less at the same time, so it's logic to have their packs with just some weeks delay.

About price, it's another topic and has nothing to do with "who serves". The answer is easy: how many people would spend 89.99? Probably not a lot. But if it costs 10$/12€ people will probably say that it's insane, best offer of history and you sell tons of packs.
  • Options
    Nah, these are awesome. Must suck to be such a bitter person.
  • Options
    Day 1 player here with 11.4 M GP.

Do I want new players to be able to catch up some and enjoy the game more? Yes.

Do I want people who enjoy and get value from these packs to help support the game I love financially? Yes.

Will I ever have to face an opponent in GAC who will beat me because they got a team of R3-5 characters without the mods or Zetas to go with them? Not at all.

TBH I'd have expected some Zeta packs to be sold with these, and no I don't at all mind players paying to skip literal years worth of Zeta farming to get their units up to a playable level where they have the maxed abilities they're meant to in order to function in their teams.
  • Options
    Who do these serve? Alienate existing fanbase and limited assistance to new players. Having made a purchase this is my reflection. They essentially suck the soul and fun out of the game.
    It would make more sense to just offer a GL for 49.99. Pick one with the lowest usage stats such as Ray.
    Having invested time upgrading my boundty hunters to relic 7 , seeing 3 characters on offer for 9 99 at relic 5 leaves a nasty taste in my mouth!!!
    My main reflection is this .. what's the point in logging in daily, buying crystals, now.
    Will new players whom purchase speed bundles stay when you cut out the grind and achievement . I doubt it and sure initial increases in purchases will be offset by significant drops in crystal and other pack purchases.
    So who do they really serve.... Long term. My solution is above , a Gl at 49.99.

My opinion:
    I'm existing fan base and I'm not alienated - do not speak for me, you don't get to voice my opinion.

Also my opinion:
    Your solution is not good.

I have spoken.
  • Options
    As abmid game player, I also love these packs. I'm over 9m gp and have Rex from Leia. Phoenix lookbawesome but not worth the investment and now for $10 I can experience them.
    Also, this game needs catch up mechanics- even if it's pay walled. New players need a way to progress faster so they can fill the ranks of retiring players.
    Lastly, please clarify- are you mad others don't have to do a grind you did, or are you mad you did a grind that could've been bought? If it's the former why are you begrudging others advancing their rosters so they can better enjoy the game? If it's the latter, maybe this gives you the ability to focus more on the new hotness without going back to old squads.
  • Options
    Last thing, why hate them behind more money? Why begrudge the people that don't have $90 to spend??
  • Options
    I’ve been around for about 6-7 at 8.7m GP. Doesn’t bother me whatsoever… and I don’t usually spend money on this game too. I can see the packs would help a lot of newer players, and even some mid game players too.

Don’t know what “fanbase” you’re talking about that is feeling “alienated” by the packs…
  • Options
    I ground out the characters the old way but I don't see a problem with these packs at all. I also have used those same characters for months or years in some cases. Personally, I don't feel short changed.

The packs are great value. I'd see that as a positive thing.
  • Options
    el_mago wrote: »

My opinion:
    I'm existing fan base and I'm not alienated - do not speak for me, you don't get to voice my opinion.

Also my opinion:
    Your solution is not good.

So very odd people on here 🙄 cough
  • Options
    Lightspeed Bundles (the negatives of them)

Just a thought maybe find and go on this thead and tell these people they are wrong and experienced players are not leaving guids and dropping off the game. FILL YOUR BOOTS
  • Options
    Lightspeed Bundles (the negatives of them)

Just a thought maybe find and go on this thead and tell these people they are wrong and experienced players are not leaving guids and dropping off the game. FILL YOUR BOOTS

Players come, players go. It was ever thus.

I doubt veteran players are leaving because of these packs. Feel free to show me otherwise.
  • Options
    GRANDOLA wrote: »
    Terrible self centered take from the OP.

Then basic boring trolling behaviour covering whataboutism, discrediting an opinion by saying what are you twelve, and a much worse "solution" that's just the same thing but more expensive.

Followed as always " The game is dying" nonsense even though the LSB were markedly good to the financial health of the game. Poor showing, poor post.

Yawn. Find the thread. A bit more balanced audience participation be helpful 👍
  • Options
    11+
    Not alienated.

I'm happy the packs are here for those who want them.
  • Haugs
    181 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    GRANDOLA wrote: »
    Terrible self centered take from the OP.

Then basic boring trolling behaviour covering whataboutism, discrediting an opinion by saying what are you twelve, and a much worse "solution" that's just the same thing but more expensive.

Followed as always " The game is dying" nonsense even though the LSB were markedly good to the financial health of the game. Poor showing, poor post.

Yawn. Find the thread. A bit more balanced audience participation be helpful 👍

You don’t find a balanced audience when you have an incorrect opinion. You find a balanced audience when you have a neutral opinion and ask for people to offer their insight.

You’re not doing that. You’re trashing something that is some of the best value for dollar the community has ever seen and your responses to people who tell you as much aren’t anything more than trolling.

Edit: it’s also plainly obvious that your “solution” was entirely arbitrary. Those numbers don’t make any sense. This is why I genuinely can’t tell if you’re trolling or you’re just on the back foot and you’ll throw out anything to be defensive. I’m sorry that you have a bad opinion, but you could take this as an opportunity to hear what people are telling you and why, or you can witlessly shrug off what reasonable people are telling you. Your call.
  • Options
    Been playing since 2018 and I still see some that make me feel like I wasted years getting, s.e.e. to r9 as an example but not alienated by far. Even though I think they should break the bundles smaller and cheaper cause I do have 2/3 or all but 1 for most bundles.
  • Options
    I have an 8 million GP account and have bought a bunch of these LSB packs. They are great. Been able to upgrade characters that probably would never get upgraded. Complete no Brainer for me. They have served this longtime player quite well.
  • Options
    I dont mind them selling packs but the price point is super cheap. I dont get how they charge around $30 for 50 shards of a random new toon but then charge $10 for all the characters to go to R3+ for a GL. Same with how much they charge for gear. Seems they should raise the price of these packs and lower the price of the others.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Options
    I’m a 10m GP player (thank you Rebel LS bundle) and a very light spender (Conquest pass only til LS bundles). I think these are great. I didn’t know when I’d ever have the time to go after Rey. Without heavy spending the goalposts move faster than I progress, which is great. Similarly when Rex came out I wanted to relic Phoenix but it’s hard to justify that when Malicos, Iden, now Ben Solo and Leia reqs justify higher priority. With the LS bundle I can scratch that off the list and focus on other priorities. They provide two great features: massive acceleration of lower priority characters and wonderful value. As long as these remain true I only see them helping this game. It’s true that some won’t like them and that’ll be the case no matter what CG did. But it does seem like the vast majority are in favor of these bundles with a small minority opposed.

Regarding OP - it’s fine to have your opinion but definitely seems like you have trouble admitting the merits of other’s arguments against your stance. And yeah, you’re falling back on troll-like behavior. Why not reread some of the great counter-arguments to your stance and actually consider them (I know, unlikely).
  • Options
    I’m 8.7m, haven’t bought any of the LSBs, and had just finished grinding for SLKR and earned his ult two weeks before the LSBs first dropped.

I am delighted at these bundles, even though I’m never intending to buy one. Them being there, and providing income for CG by enticing casual spenders with great offers keeps the game running. I’m not concerned about others getting a leg up, because mods, zetas and omicrons still mean that these packs aren’t that much of a massive leap.

Was it frustrating that all of the SLKR reqs dropped for £10? Sure, but with the new gear economy getting all of the SLKR or Rey reqs to g12 at least doesn’t take more than about 3 months anyway. Change is necessary.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg