Replies

• Ultra
    11597 posts Moderator
    Options
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »
    Whatelse73 wrote: »
    They spent 180 Million on these 8 episodes and couldn't take the time to check lore and hire writers that can actually write? They are making it EASY to nitpick because there are so many things they screw up. The show's "lore" even contradicts itself each episode.

This reminds me of the Rings of Power and the debacle they created there. People taking a property and rewriting it because they have the ego to think they can write it better than the progenitor. "I'll make Star Wars/Rings of Power BETTER because I'm smarter than anyone else!"

And once again, two Jedi are DEAD because of an assassin. Yoda would know about that and be paying attention. Politicians in real life don't have magic powers to know what's going on. They often don't know what's going on even when they're told by someone else. They're trying to proclaim the high council is too "political" to pay attention to jedi being killed? Rubbish. Writing it like that just reinforces the perception that Leslie is trying to do by making the "Sith" the good guys and the Jedi the bad guys. As if they're a bunch of bumbling rent-a-cops that don't know what they're doing and are only concerned about themselves.

And this episode was supposed to be not as bad as episode 3, it's worse in some ways, better in others. No matter how they "explain" all this, it's going to be bad explanations and lame ways to show why it's okay. And there are a lot of "issues" to explain away in only four more episodes.

the more you complain the more ridiculous your complains get

To be clear, you don’t think it’s ridiculous that 2 Jedi Masters were assassinated and a 3rd just survived an assassination attempt and the Jedi Council has no idea? Never mind being told about the deaths, you think it’s reasonable that none of the other masters would sense/feel anything?

Were we watching the same show?

One was assassinated which led Yord to arrest Osha, so the Jedi Order knew about it and were taking active steps to prevent others from three from being assassinated, which is how the Jedi ran into Mae in the second episode

Also, complaining that the Jedi Council or Yoda was not informed of a Jedi being killed is such a silly complaint

Jedi being murdered would be of huge importance to the council.

There are trillion billion of lifeforms in the galaxy and millions of Jedi, to argue that the Jedi Council should have a status report on what every Jedi is going through sounds nonsensical

There was around 10,000 Jedi not millions

Force sensing has always been inconsistent in Star Wars, it seems sensing individual lifeforms is much difficult

Mace said that if Darth Maul was a sith he would've sensed it

Vader never sensed if Obi-Wan / Yoda were alive during the reign of the empire until Obi-Wan was in the death star itself

Yoda hid on a darkside planet which hid him.

there are tons of examples i can go on about sensing from TCW or movies and i wouldn't think much of it tbh

Its just two jedi, and Torgun's death was in the Jedi Temple, so i'm sure the council knew about it, what they weren't told is the information of the assassin that was being discussed in episode 4 for political reasons

Even in the Clone Wars TV Series, Yoda kept the truth that Clone Army was built by the sith hidden from the senate due to political reasons, are you going to say terrible writing that the Senate / Govt that commissioned and uses the clone army never knew or was never told that a sith ordered its creation?

The murder of multiple Jedi would be reported to the council immediately. Dont make excuses for bad writing.
    okay i'll play your game

they were discussing about informing the council that two jedi died

but not informing them it was connected and who the assassin is and how she did it (which was addressed in ep 4)

and that's not bad writing, its playing politics
  • LordDirt
    5169 posts Member
    Options
    No way the Jedi would risk hiding it from the council. I dont care for the Jedi but this show really makes them look bad. Its like this how is going out of its way to make the Jedi not look good.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Ultra
    11597 posts Moderator
    Options
    No way the Jedi would risk hiding it from the council. I dont care for the Jedi but this show really makes them look bad. Its like this how is going out of its way to make the Jedi not look good.

hate to break it to you but jedi are people just like you and me

they aren't perfectly good people as you imagine them to be

lets not forget, Luke tried to kill Ben Solo in his sleep
  • Whatelse73
    2219 posts Member
    Options

hate to break it to you but jedi are people just like you and me

they aren't perfectly good people as you imagine them to be

lets not forget, Luke tried to kill Ben Solo in his sleep

You mean the scene from Episode 8? Something almost as bad as the acolyte, directed by Ruin Johnson?
  • Wed_Santa
    1036 posts Member
    Options
    I’m starting to enjoy watching this thread. Possibly a tad more than I’m enjoying the Acolyte if I’m honest (but I still don’t think it’s the worst Star Wars show by a long stretch)
  • Options
    this is a time of jedi being quite common. when they are among the general population, noone looks at them twice. when they ask some random dude for directions, he is rude to them. they are just policemen with superpowers. and there are a lot of them, so some of them will get killed now and then. the galaxy is unimaginably huge and if 2 jedi get killed this is just a regular, quite minor occurance. it is perfectly reasonable that 2 jedi killed would not be brought to the attention of the council. quite the opposite, this would be extremely weird and hard to believe. the way it was presented seems perfectly sensible, as are the reasons given. this is not big. it's no "the sith are back, but noone mentioned it!" moment. at this point, the jedi have no idea who is behind the attacks. "a splinter order", maybe, which would seem to be a normal occurance as well. jedi dealing with other force users is obviously nothing special, as we can see with the witch cult. the jedi who were stationed on their planet dealt with them as if their existence was perfectly ordinary and unproblematic (except for the kids, about whom the jedi have their own rules obviously). and why would it? there would be a huge amount of different force users in the galaxy, the jedi are just the biggest order around.

all the criticism of this part of the story is pretty silly. you can dislike it, sure, but it does make sense.

overall the episode was good, if a little short on action. several strong character moments and the villain looks great. (does the back of his helmet look similar to kylo ren's? it did to me.) i could have done with a little more wookie and less forced humor around the rodent alien, but what can you do...

• Lumiya
    1582 posts Member
    edited June 21
    Options
    I love SW fans, they aways come up with good theories just to be disappointed with what really happens.

I for one am not going to be disappointed. I would actually love if something takes me by surprise and is not predictable as long as it is done in a logical and plausible way.

Until now I am not very fond of The Acolyte and fear that things will be too rushed and/or not make much sense just for the sake of diverting expectations and lack of episodes.

Out of all the newer shows this is the weakest imho. I will watch it until the end because it is clear that the story is supposed to unfold step by step with new revelations so I would like to have the full picture before passing my final judgement, but there are some things that even then will not change some of my impressions because they are not about the plot but execution, atmosphere, aesthetics and other things.

Of course this is just my personal opinion and I still have hope that the show manages to change it.

Edit for some words
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • Options
    shlominus wrote: »
    this is a time of jedi being quite common. when they are among the general population, noone looks at them twice. when they ask some random dude for directions, he is rude to them. they are just policemen with superpowers. and there are a lot of them, so some of them will get killed now and then. the galaxy is unimaginably huge and if 2 jedi get killed this is just a regular, quite minor occurance. it is perfectly reasonable that 2 jedi killed would not be brought to the attention of the council. quite the opposite, this would be extremely weird and hard to believe. the way it was presented seems perfectly sensible, as are the reasons given. this is not big. it's no "the sith are back, but noone mentioned it!" moment. at this point, the jedi have no idea who is behind the attacks. "a splinter order", maybe, which would seem to be a normal occurance as well. jedi dealing with other force users is obviously nothing special, as we can see with the witch cult. the jedi who were stationed on their planet dealt with them as if their existence was perfectly ordinary and unproblematic (except for the kids, about whom the jedi have their own rules obviously). and why would it? there would be a huge amount of different force users in the galaxy, the jedi are just the biggest order around.

all the criticism of this part of the story is pretty silly. you can dislike it, sure, but it does make sense.

overall the episode was good, if a little short on action. several strong character moments and the villain looks great. (does the back of his helmet look similar to kylo ren's? it did to me.) i could have done with a little more wookie and less forced humor around the rodent alien, but what can you do...

These are not Jedi - these are Jedi Masters - that is a massive difference and they were assassinated which is another massive difference.

Is it possible a Padawan being hit by a speeder would not hit the High Councils desk? Sure.
    Possibly a Jedi Knight dying from a stray blaster bolt in a cantina fight that didn't involve her? Possibly.
    A Jedi Master being assassinated in a PUBLIC place with dozens of witnesses is not talked about? No Way.
  • Options
    One of the dead masters essentially committed suicide. I hope the show gives us more info about what happened such that his guilt makes sense.

The other wasn't exactly overpowered. She was distracted because she had to protect someone else, and Mae got in a cheap shot.

For those reasons, I don't see why these 2 deaths would be a 5-alarm fire to the entire order--especially when those with the most knowledge of the events aren't being fully forthcoming.

On another note, I liked ep 3. Not saying it's a masterpiece, but we haven't seen a lot of media depicting how the parents of the younglings the Jedi recruit may feel/react. I found both moms' as well as the community's reactions to be compelling and believable.
  • Options
    For once, I’m being smart by not giving my opinion on any of this… I’m just speechless…
  • Options
    Looks to me like someone started a post but is unable to accept other peoples opinions...

Mine? The show is bad. It's the worst of anything starwars to be produced ever. Episode 2 was cringe. The show breaks lore, makes Anakin look like nothing and the acting... Holy... It's so bad and the whole show just feels like a fanfilm separate to lore thats designed to throw some sorta agenda in your face.

I gave it a chance, I watched it, but I can't stand it... Story, acting, theme etc... Just so bad.

Now I'm expecting a reply saying why I am apparently wrong or this post to be edited or deleted in an abuse of power.
  • Lumiya
    1582 posts Member
    Options
    crasysab wrote: »

Now I'm expecting a reply saying why I am apparently wrong or this post to be edited or deleted in an abuse of power.

Why should your comment be edited or deleted? As long as you stay on topic and don't insult anyone or throw around racism etc. or otherwise break tos this won't happen.
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • Options
    Lumiya wrote: »

Why should your comment be edited or deleted? As long as you stay on topic and don't insult anyone or throw around racism etc. or otherwise break tos this won't happen.

I wound answer that question but I don't want to get myself banned by calling out someone.

As for the show. If there are people that like it then I am glad because they are getting something out of it. For me though I cant stand it. There are parts which I can maybe accept as being logical but it is just not for me in anyway.
  • Ultra
    11597 posts Moderator
    Options
    Lumiya wrote: »

Yeah, his post is fine

he doesn't like the show and there is nothing wrong with that
  • Options
    I’m not really seeing the Qimir as Darth Teeth angle. Yeah he was in the vicinity, knows the area, and his frame kind of matches, but he was strung up? So in the 10 or so minutes that it took Mae to get to Kelnacca’s place, he got himself down, changed outfits (which where was he keeping all that in the first place), got there before her, killed a Jedi Master without any apparent signs of struggle/battle (which likely would have been heard or felt by those in the vicinity), and then hid again? It just doesn’t seem to add up.
  • Options
    Where to start...
    It's bad. Poor story telling, unbelievable coincidences, sub-par acting, inconsistencies from one scene to the next, stuff happens because the writers need it to happen... The dialogue is dire.

The premise of The Acolyte was interesting, but it would have required half-decent writers to pull it off.

I find none of the characters really likeable. Sol is the best of a bad bunch. During the first episode I thought Osha was ok, but she doesn't really develop beyond her first few scenes and the actress has zero range.

And Mae's sudden flip in episode 4 made me laugh out loud. That would have been bad if I had read it in a fan fic. Not in a show that supposedly cost $180m.

As for the even more controversial story choices:

The Force / Thread thing is fine by me, the galaxy is huge and there must be quite a few sects who have a different interpretation of the Force. The way the witches describe it, it's essentially the Force by another name anyway. (Doesn't mean I like it, but I have no problem with it as such.)

Equally the idea that Osha & Mae have been "created" - why not? Again, many Force users, a huge galaxy... In theory that should not have to be a unique thing only happening to Anakin.
    That is NOT, however, saying it was a smart thing to do. The original characters have been diminished so much already in the last few years. It gets really boring to have yet another thing changed that we were supposed to see as special. Especially this close to Phantom Menace. If this was 1,000 years in the past, ok. But to me this is a lame idea that should have been left on the drawing board.

And KAM... Well, that was just laughable. Having him in the show made his TPM comment about the Sith even worse. Yes, I know, Smilo Ren could be some other dark force user, not a Sith, but... When QGJ saw Maul he immediately thought "that's a Sith". So why would the Jedi when faced with a dark force user wielding a red light saber not even consider that it MIGHT be a Sith? Unless we are going to get a massive cover up where everyone pretends none of this ever happened... That would be dumb.
    Changing KAMs wookiepedia entry while the episode was running, making him way way older, was the icing on the cake. Again, why?

Nothing in the 4 episodes gives me the feeling the writers care about the existing canon. They are not carefully weaving new ideas into an existing net of interconnected stories and assumptions. They are forcing their story in, no matter what they break. It's incredibly clumsy.

I'll watch the rest of the season to form my own opinion and hope it somehow improves. At least the reviews on YouTube are funny.
  • Ultra
    11597 posts Moderator
    Options
    And KAM... Well, that was just laughable. Having him in the show made his TPM comment about the Sith even worse. Yes, I know, Smilo Ren could be some other dark force user, not a Sith, but... When QGJ saw Maul he immediately thought "that's a Sith". So why would the Jedi when faced with a dark force user wielding a red light saber not even consider that it MIGHT be a Sith? Unless we are going to get a massive cover up where everyone pretends none of this ever happened... That would be dumb.
    Changing KAMs wookiepedia entry while the episode was running, making him way way older, was the icing on the cake. Again, why?

Except they never saw a sith or anyone wielding a red lightsaber yet

The episode literally ended after they did

Also, Mace Windu told Qui-Gon that Maul cannot be a sith because he didn't sense any siths (Maul or Palpatine), and you know how wrong Mace was

Would you call that bad or terrible writing?

I get the acting or writing isn't like Shawshank redemption tier, but prequels are littered with terrible acting and writing too

Dialogue in prequels is just awful

Just going to go on a rant with the prequels:

- Wow Tatooine is a huge planet and Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan just happened to find Anakin? Its like the writers just want things to happen

- How can a kid who is 6 years old who never rode a speeder bike win the competition? Dumb writing

- What they only sent 4 JEDI to kill Darth Sidious the Sith Lord who has behind everything for the past 3 years of the Clone Wars and extremely powerful in the senate etc etc?

People complain about sending two Jedi to apprehend Osha in episode 1 for killing a supposed Jedi Master, but Palpatine did much worse and they only sent 4 Jedi instead of the entire Jedi Order

- Anakin just turned into a Dark lord of the Sith just because he impulsely chopped Mace's hand? He spent 20+ years learning the ways of the Jedi and he just switches like that? And you are complaining about Mae's switch?
  • LordDirt
    5169 posts Member
    edited June 26
    Options

Also, Mace Windu told Qui-Gon that Maul cannot be a sith because he didn't sense any siths (Maul or Palpatine), and you know how wrong Mace was

I get the acting or writing isn't like Shawshank redemption tier, but prequels are littered with terrible acting and writing too

- Wow Tatooine is a huge planet and Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan just happened to find Anakin? Its like the writers just want things to happen

Force had them go there.

- How can a kid who is 6 years old who never rode a speeder bike win the competition? Dumb writing

He used the Force, it was even in the dialogue.

- What they only sent 4 JEDI to kill Darth Sidious the Sith Lord who has behind everything for the past 3 years of the Clone Wars and extremely powerful in the senate etc etc?

Jedi have always been arrogant.

People complain about sending two Jedi to apprehend Osha in episode 1 for killing a supposed Jedi Master, but Palpatine did much worse and they only sent 4 Jedi instead of the entire Jedi Order

- Anakin just turned into a Dark lord of the Sith just because he impulsely chopped Mace's hand? He spent 20+ years learning the ways of the Jedi and he just switches like that? And you are complaining about Mae's switch?

Anakin turned because he was a slave who had an attachment to his mother who he was taken away from. The Jedi council then embarrassed him in front of everyone and didnt want to train him.
    The Council then never went to free his mother and she ended up getting kidnapped and then died.
    He also grew attached to Padme and had to hide it.
    Got embarrassed in front of the Jedi council when they wouldnt give him the title of Master.
    Made him commit treason by spying on Palpatine. Look how the Jedi treated Ahsoka, his padawan.

That is just the stuff in the movies. Plenty of other things happened to him in other media. You can see his anger grow. He just didnt flip like she did in this show. Go kill two Jedi and then and the way to the third just say nevermind I will be good again.
    Post edited by LordDirt on
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Options

- As Qui-Gon put it, "The will of the force will guide us." They showed up there to find Anakin because the force wanted them to.

- He'd been in previous races before, we just don't see him doing any training or preparation for this particular race.

- At this point in the Clone Wars, the Jedi were severely undermanned. But Mace and three others going to arrest him were what they had to deal with him. One of the weaknesses of the Jedi was the lack of battling Sith, I read somewhere that part of Sidious' long term plan was to have weak easy to kill droids to fight against so the Jedi would have trouble in combat vs actual tacticians, which they did. And your faith in Mace Windu is severely lacking.

They took Osha and put her on a ship with ONE robot guard. (Dr. Evil style) That ship had a cyborg in it that was able to control other droids? They fly down to the planet and say, "no one could've survived that crash!" but Osha gets up and dusts off as if she just took a nap.

If you watched the Clone Wars, you'd see that the last couple of seasons, especially after Asohka was almost imprisoned, Anakin started losing faith in the Jedi. Palpatine was also influencing Anakin's thoughts and feelings. Yeah if you just watch the three prequel movies, it seems "fast" but that's why Filoni wrote the clone wars to show what all happened to cause him to turn "so quickly".

And, they were given 180 Million dollars to create these 8 episodes. They couldn't spend a few dollars to do some lore checks? Nope, because the perception is that Leslie wanted to write star wars HER way. (Of course she's happy to throw blame towards Filoni.) In Episode 3 you had a "mother" happily providing her children "Spice Ice Cream", which means she's giving them illegal drugs as a treat.

This is another Kathleen Kennedy FAILURE because she's not interested in making star wars, her priority is political / social agendas from real life. (They have yet to make back the money they paid George for buying Star Wars.) And she hired Leslie who seems to have the same thought pattern.

Andor was fantastic, House of the Dragon is fantastic. It can be done, there's just a low priority towards QUALITY at Lucasfilm. (The same can be said about EA.)

Oh and Episode 1's RT scores are about even between critics and audience, but far better than Acolyte. (Just the paid critics love it. Audience score is 13%)

You like the show, we get it. But far more people DONT like it. A for affort trying to explain the laundry list of issues with it though.

kcax3q11ktln.jpg
  • Options
    There's a political message in Acolyte? Other than child soldiers bad, I haven't noticed one <shrug>
  • LordDirt
    5169 posts Member
    Options
    There's a political message in Acolyte? Other than child soldiers bad, I haven't noticed one <shrug>

Colonizers bad
  • LordDirt
    5169 posts Member
    Options
    Episode 5 was actually enjoyable. The fights were pretty good. I dont understand his “magneto” helmet but it is what it is. By the time it was revealed who the Sith was it was pretty obvious. Curious to see what happens next as all must die to keep things right .
  • Options

Colonizers bad

Who was colonized and by whom?
  • LordDirt
    5169 posts Member
    Options

Colonizers bad

You miss the part about the Jedi coming to their world and brainwashing her?
  • Options

Colonizers bad

I don't see that as colonization, though. From the perspective of the witches, the Jedi are taking young children away from their family and culture and essentially indoctrinating them into a religion. From an outside perspective, that's not exactly what's happening. But there hasn't been much SW media that explores how a community or parent might react to the Jedi taking their children.

If I were try to make that political, I could easily both sides it.

If people don't like the show because of the acting or story, all good. But the political complaints seem so forced and absurd to me.
  • Whatelse73
    2219 posts Member
    Options

Colonizers bad

I don't see that as colonization, though. From the perspective of the witches, the Jedi are taking young children away from their family and culture and essentially indoctrinating them into a religion. From an outside perspective, that's not exactly what's happening. But there hasn't been much SW media that explores how a community or parent might react to the Jedi taking their children.

If I were try to make that political, I could easily both sides it.

If people don't like the show because of the acting or story, all good. But the political complaints seem so forced and absurd to me.

That's exactly what the Sith want. Especially now that he's told us what he is, which is just more bad writing, bad attention to lore, serious lost opportunity, and a lot of people were setup for failure with this series. Just lame and lazy creation.

Just remember, the force is female!
  • Ultra
    11597 posts Moderator
    Options
    A lot of great stuff

I had a feeling Osha would end up being the Acolyte since they kept mentioning how she has a lot of hate and rage and vengeance which is why she failed her jedi training

Didn't expect Qimir to go all "Just be done with Mae" i thought he would give her a second chance

The whole sudden change of character of Mae wanting to kill and burn Osha turned out to be a Jedi mindtrick which is a great twist since it didn't sit right how quickly she went from 0 to 100

Yord being killed was so sudden and quick and i wasn't expecting him to die

same with Jecki, i thought Mae would kill her, or Qimir in a 1v1 but when she survived both death flags, i thought she would make out of it alive when it came to 2v1

I expected the bugs to come in and save the Jedi from the fight, but not the other way around where it would end up saving Qimir
  • Ultra
    11597 posts Moderator
    Options
    Episode 5 was actually enjoyable. The fights were pretty good. I dont understand his “magneto” helmet but it is what it is. By the time it was revealed who the Sith was it was pretty obvious. Curious to see what happens next as all must die to keep things right .

Is it really a bad thing that it was obvious?

It was obvious because they foreshadowed it by laying out clues, and that is the best approach to do right before the reveal (you drop a lot of clues, which we got one episode prior)

Having the sith being someone completely different just to subvert expectations would just cause people to complain

Either make it obvious or don't

Either way its a lose-lose with y'all

At least when you DO make it obvious, the good writing technique is to drop a lot of foreshadowing

Also, its not like they took an entire season hiding his identity or build it up the entire season, that the reveal ends up disappointing, it was a midseason reveal, and they first informed us of a master in second episode and the main cast started wondering about it in the 4th (3rd was a flashback episode)
  • Deathbringer59
    621 posts Member
    edited June 26
    Options
    The fighting was pretty awsome this episode. Qmir and Sol do have past as qmir said "you don't remember me?" Yords death was pretty brutal, my 7 year old daughters eyes went wide, I think she liked that character...

I'm still not quite sure how everything will be played as a cover up but I mean some jedi must no after all of them disappeared. I have a feeling Osha is going to become the next Acolyte, Mae is gonna kill Sol posing as Osha kinda forcing Osha into the dark path

What i still don't understand why. If Mae was ready to turn her self in, why not help the Jedi fight the sith? She's still on some revenge plot even though her sith master now wants her dead on top of the jedi wanting to arrest her.
    Post edited by Deathbringer59 on
  • Options

Nope this did not happen suddenly.It was a long and slow procedure and we saw it happening during the films and the clone wars series

I can accept that the prequels had some bad elements but they were good movies overall.Especially Episode 3.

The Acolyte is awful.Even episode 5.Some decent lightsaber scenes can't change that fact.