Something must be done about lockouts in arena.

Replies

• Options
    Oh I forgot #4

If you get the "Someone is in a battle with you message" you should be able to take command. Would make snipers think twice

This can be exploited as well. Imagine the higher ranking player comes in and takes command, but instead of defending, he won't attack at all until the timer expires.. It results to draw and you lost your opportunity to go with a higher rank.
  • Baldo
    2863 posts Member
    Options
    Barrok wrote: »
    Phipps wrote: »
    No

You shouldn't be punished for being in first

It's not punishing you. The last 10 minutes before prize time you should have all your battles done. Make first place mean something: You have to win on defense in the last 10 minutes

I am fine with locking out first place with 10 minutes, as long as first through 5th is locked out too.

You can't punish someone for getting to first place... you also shouldn't limit them by some stupid timer that no one else has.

As far as lock outs, maybe you be the one locking out. Don't wait till 10 minutes left to start your attack.

Lastly, again, it's punishment if you drop in ranks if you lose. Because the only number that can really do that is number 1. Everyone else has someone lower than them.

You are thinking purely emotional right now because you lost. Clear your mind and think about it some... your idea's are pretty bad and extremely limited. You are basically asking CG to do a bunch of additional coding for one arena rank in the entire game.... with all the other things a mess, you want them to do that...

I think that he was referring to anyone can defend or take over the AI when being attacked.... Not solely the #1 spot @Barrok. I agree with him being able to defend would be very cool. Especially real time PvP. Because lets face it picking apart an AI is quite easy compared to an controlled team.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    I think the Arena is fine with minor tweaks.

Timer length is relevant.
    Rank swapping is fair.
    Combat changes reduce the effectiveness of stalling.
    Sniping means catching your opponent not engaged in battle.

I think live PvP would be problematic.

I think a Defense Summary is in order.
    I think attacking a lower rank and losing should result in a rank swap.

• Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure his thought is... if you attack as rank 1 and hold... and draw... that it's a defeat and you swap places with someone... That's lame and only doable from rank 1. In any other rank, you have people ahead of you that you can attack and draw out.

• Options
    Timitock wrote: »
    I think the Arena is fine with minor tweaks.

Timer length is relevant.
    Rank swapping is fair.
    Combat changes reduce the effectiveness of stalling.
    Sniping means catching your opponent not engaged in battle.

I think live PvP would be problematic.

I think a Defense Summary is in order.
    I think attacking a lower rank and losing should result in a rank swap.
    This. And it makes sense for a #1. It would keep them from just sitting on the timer.
  • President_Scroob
    1802 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I am pretty sure his thought is... if you attack as rank 1 and hold... and draw... that it's a defeat and you swap places with someone... That's lame and only doable from rank 1. In any other rank, you have people ahead of you that you can attack and draw out.

I'm only proposing this for #1 because its the biggest payout and you should not be able to just sit on the timer and not fight. Sadly, I've had to do this too the two times I did get #1. its the only way to get it in the current arena, and it needs to change
  • Options
    Phipps wrote: »
    No

You shouldn't be punished for being in first

+1
    lockout *is* winning on defense as it is a defensive strategy. I get the frustration, however everyone has equal opportunity to do the same thing. I can't beat every single team on my server; I don't think someone in first should have to beat me on defense and sit around like a dead duck waiting to be taken out.
  • Baldo
    2863 posts Member
    Options

Maybe a better way to do this would be #1 can defend but it takes a battle away from him.
  • Options
    What would fix this is if you are in a battle at prize time, ranks should be decided BEFORE prizes are given out.

This wouldn't fix anything. It would just move the lockout time up by five minutes.
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot #4

If you get the "Someone is in a battle with you message" you should be able to take command. Would make snipers think twice

That is actually an excellent idea that I would love. Not if I show up and I'm already down two players, but it would be amazing if implemented. I'd even go so far as a notification if you're in game. Defensive AI sucks. I think it's actually gotten better, but still it's pretty stupid in general. I'd love it if my team played like they should when I'm not controlling them. This idea would be beneficial to most players trying to hold their spots at payout.
  • Options
    What's to stop anyone who can manually defend from stalling and forcing a draw? Maybe it's on auto but the defender can choose the targets.
  • Options
    sying wrote: »
    Oh I forgot #4

That is actually an excellent idea that I would love. Not if I show up and I'm already down two players, but it would be amazing if implemented. I'd even go so far as a notification if you're in game. Defensive AI sucks. I think it's actually gotten better, but still it's pretty stupid in general. I'd love it if my team played like they should when I'm not controlling them. This idea would be beneficial to most players trying to hold their spots at payout.

No even if you are down. It would give you the chance to fight for a draw. You come in where the battle is
  • Options
    Oh I forgot #4

+1. awesome idea
  • Options
    Oh I forgot #4

And this wouldn't work because then YOU could just run out the timer on defense and keep your rank.
  • Options
    No

Very intelligent. So I propose actual ideas, you say no. Why not tell me WHY no?

You proposed an idea. I don't like it.

I don't have to defend my point of view, give other ideas or explain any further.

I am simply giving my point of view on your idea.

If you want to create ideas then the burden of defending them rests squarely on your shoulders. If I want to express my disapproval of your ideas then all I have to do is express them.

But hey, It's nice to see Baldo and Timitock like your ideas.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options
    Jedi2407 wrote: »
    Oh I forgot #4

And this wouldn't work because then YOU could just run out the timer on defense and keep your rank.

That is a good point. Sigh. There would have to be some sort of time limit for you to make a move per character
  • Baldo
    2863 posts Member
    Options
    What's to stop anyone who can manually defend from stalling and forcing a draw? Maybe it's on auto but the defender can choose the targets.

Maybe 2 seconds or so to attack before its automatically done.
  • Options
    P.S. Live PVP won't happen.
  • Options
    No

Very intelligent. So I propose actual ideas, you say no. Why not tell me WHY no?

I don't have to defend my point of view, give other ideas or explain any further.

That's pretty arrogant, and not exactly the point of a forum. You could learn from some people here that actually proposed counter points to my ideas. Anyways, get your last word in, I'm going back to the topic
  • Options
    No

That's pretty arrogant, and not exactly the point of a forum. You could learn from some people here that actually proposed counter points to my ideas. Anyways, get your last word in, I'm going back to the topic

I don't have to defend anything. If you don't like my point of view then you had every right to ignore it.

Don't ask for explanations when they aren't necessary.

The point of the forum is to provide ideas and feedback to the developers. My feedback to the developers was that I do not like this idea.

I don't have to express a different idea as I am not trying to make any changes to Arena.

So, no. I don't like your idea. Arena is fine how it is now.
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Options
    Jedi2407 wrote: »
    Oh I forgot #4

I didn't even think of that. I change my stance. Terrible idea. Just terrible.
  • Options
    President_Scroob had it r

Then it's not PvP, it's PvAI. I agree with scroob that the ability to take control would be awesome. I also agree with a lot of you guys that as things stand right now, players can still get around it by stalling the clock. But as a couple other said, an atk timer would mitigate some of that. It would take some though to make it work but it's certainly doable
  • Baldo
    2863 posts Member
    Options

Why it is in most mobile games now.. It's not an impossibility. In the guild datamined info it says PvP on Saturday.
  • Options
    Freakshow wrote: »

Then it's not PvP, it's PvAI. I agree with scroob that the ability to take control would be awesome. I also agree with a lot of you guys that as things stand right now, players can still get around it by stalling the clock. But as a couple other said, an atk timer would mitigate some of that. It would take some though to make it work but it's certainly doable
    Just ignore the turtle. He said he doesn't want to be part of the conversation
  • Options

That's right, it would be awesome. I desperately want it. But it probably won't happen.
  • Options

That's right, it would be awesome. I desperately want it. But it probably won't happen.

I thought you didn't like any of my ideas. That was one of them
  • Options
    The rules on Arena may be frustrating at times, but they are equally applied to all players--F2P and P2P alike. I've been in situations where I'm #2 with 8 minutes to go, then get beaten twice in succession and end up #8 at payout; conversely, I've been #7 with 9 minutes to go, beaten #4, refreshed, then beaten #1 at the buzzer. No need to change anything. The rules are known and they are fair.
  • Options

I thought you didn't like any of my ideas. That was one of them

At 11:19 I said no. At 11:22 you posted the idea of live PVP.
  • Options
    Wait til people figure out the best way to protect against arena rank drop off is to run a team of rey or gs, and maxed healers and taunting tanks on your fifth daily battle after you've climbed as high as possible for the day
  • Options
    Think about it - it does not matter what time you get locked out - there will always be peoples like me gaming the system if you set the timer 10 min. earlier I will just shift the time I attack to earlier there is no good way other than create a completely new pvp game design