Galactic war in 50s

Replies

• Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    They'd just have to change the order of operations. As it is now, the game saves before you enter a GW battle. They'd need to make it instead save after every attack. What that would do to the game's performance, I have no idea, but it's pretty clear that's the way it would have to be resolved.

You're making this sound far simpler than it actually would be. The game is designed to not have to "phone home" between every attack. Changing this is major surgery.
    It will also lead to a LOT of unhappy campers, because it will slow the game down dramatically and also lead to far more dropped sessions.
    There are other ways they can deal with force-closing but that would be among the most difficult.

I was thinking that, too, but I know that leaving it all to the client is a great way to let a trainer have access to everything it shouldn't.

The point is though, that the force close thing isn't GW working as intended, and getting used to it is dumb.
  • Options
    I adressed it the moment I found out about the force close glitch. Send Jesse a pm about it asking for a hotfix if possible. Haven't had a response since, not even a simple thanks for adressing.
    Now ofcourse I'm using it myself as well but only if Lumi dies ^^ (like everyone that knows). It's a develop flaw/exploit they apparently can't fix.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Options
    CronozNL wrote: »
    I adressed it the moment I found out about the force close glitch. Send Jesse a pm about it asking for a hotfix if possible. Haven't had a response since, not even a simple thanks for adressing.
    Now ofcourse I'm using it myself as well but only if Lumi dies ^^ (like everyone that knows). It's a develop flaw/exploit they apparently can't fix.

It's not so much as a bug/exploit but just different system that they opted for, and to be honest I don't see it being changed in the near future as I'd assume there isn't even a 50% GW completion rate across the players.
  • Options
    Just like everyone else, I face the lvl 60 purple teams and yes some of them are insane but I haven't failed a GW since like my first or second one now.

The key as mentioned many times already isn't an A B C squad approach, it is in looking at the team you are facing and preparing against THAT team.

Sometimes when the team you face is really out matching you, you'll need to break it down even farther. You may find that Dooku destroys you. Ok, put in two heroes to counter him and remove the ones he destroys usually. Even if the substitutions are lower in power/gear/etc.

Also consider leadership bonuses. Barriss isn't the end all here (though she is good) plan for the first two rounds and how you can eliminate the primary threat(s) while preserving your squad.

This is where many of your otherwise unused heroes come into play. I will swap out most of my team and put in players with stun and ability block to fight Sid and Dooku (arguably my toughest combo) and if I need to leave Sid up because of another threat I have Barriss ready.

Beyond that just use your heroes. Even f2p teams have many that would make good additions, but because they aren't in top 5 arena teams, they get ignored. I personally love the challenge of GW and find it to be my favorite play mode.

Using the force close is really cheesy and will be fixed in time. I believe the retreat to be part of the strategy but force closing is border line cheating. Though unless the devs say that it is bannable I don't think it's over the top to use it. Just prepare for it to be gone and you really shouldn't need it if you prepare properly.
  • Options
    If it's up and people know about it, people will use it. Ingame glitch should be fixed asap, if not ofcourse people will exploit it. GL banning 1/3 of the community :P
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Options
    I've spent no $ on this game whatsoever. Until I reached level 40 I only could make it about half way through GW. The higher I got in the 40s the farther I progressed. I cleared the entire GW three times at levels 48 and 49. But when reached 50 a few days ago I'm back to only getting half way through. Kind of frustrating.
  • Options
    Cpt_Dan wrote: »
    Just like everyone else, I face the lvl 60 purple teams and yes some of them are insane but I haven't failed a GW since like my first or second one now.

The key as mentioned many times already isn't an A B C squad approach, it is in looking at the team you are facing and preparing against THAT team.

Sometimes when the team you face is really out matching you, you'll need to break it down even farther. You may find that Dooku destroys you. Ok, put in two heroes to counter him and remove the ones he destroys usually. Even if the substitutions are lower in power/gear/etc.

Also consider leadership bonuses. Barriss isn't the end all here (though she is good) plan for the first two rounds and how you can eliminate the primary threat(s) while preserving your squad.

This is where many of your otherwise unused heroes come into play. I will swap out most of my team and put in players with stun and ability block to fight Sid and Dooku (arguably my toughest combo) and if I need to leave Sid up because of another threat I have Barriss ready.

Beyond that just use your heroes. Even f2p teams have many that would make good additions, but because they aren't in top 5 arena teams, they get ignored. I personally love the challenge of GW and find it to be my favorite play mode.

Using the force close is really cheesy and will be fixed in time. I believe the retreat to be part of the strategy but force closing is border line cheating. Though unless the devs say that it is bannable I don't think it's over the top to use it. Just prepare for it to be gone and you really shouldn't need it if you prepare properly.

Yeah, not really applicable for FTP - not just lack of alternative heroes, but less ability (in the 50s) to level and gear enough heroes to do that much switching. (Though of course you can and must be able to do some switching).

That said ... I'm breezing through again, a combination of better luck, hitting 60, somewhat better team, somewhat better tactics. I haven't faced any of the really tough teams in 3 days - plenty of purple level 60 teams, but only one that was good enough to give me much of a challenge.

• Options

You're assuming people are P2P. You can't pick and choose your team if you're not P2P. F2P players have a very limited arsenal of characters and because of that they need to focus all their resources on their strongest characters.
  • Options
    Four straight now, though battles ten and eleven were touch and go. But it looks like things are only going to get easier now that I've hit 60 and can devote some resources to building a deeper team. Though as I said in another thread, arena is a different story for a FTP player like myself.
  • Options
    Obviously it should be easiest once you hit 60 because they can't throw any higher level teams at you. If your team is built strong you will only face teams just as good, worst case, and you are facing a stupid AI.
  • Options
    I just learned of the retreat feature 3 hours ago...

I've completed two Galactic wars.

I will never incomplete another war.
  • Options
    My GW strategy:

Always have 2 healers in whatever squad you use. Unless they add healing item drops at some point it is the only way to heal heroes and they are definitely going to take a ton of damage in 12 rounds. Try and save their heals (or at least 1 heal) up until you are against the last 2 heroes in each battle. If you wait too long you might not get to heal before you destroy the last hero. If you use it too soon you will take more damage before the end of the battle. The object is to have as much hitpoints at the start of each battle. If, for some reason, the healers end up with really low hitpoints to start a battle than swap one healer out for another healer with higher hitpoints. They are your most important pieces that you can't lose.

Don't under estimate Chewie or other protectors to protect your weak/damaged heroes for a round or two. Even if you manage to lose them. Save the protectors for the last, most difficult battles if you can.

Near the end of a battle, when there are 2 easy enemies left, stop using your specials so they will be available the first round of your next fight. With Luminara's blast or Dooku's lightning and game controlling specials you can hopefully take out one of the opponents glass cannons or more annoying characters within the first round... or before Chewie activates protection. (with 75% of opponent teams have)

I almost always save attacking Dooku or other big counter attackers for last.. unless they happen to get low hitpts through AOE or counter attacks or by whatever means. Everytime you attack them you should expect to take damage and you don't want to be taking extra damage when there is 4-5 opponents on the board, right? Better save them until the end when you are controlling the battle and have had a heal or 2.

If I lose an important hero I force quit and start over. If you use the same tactics you will get the same results so I mix up the team a little before retrying. I noticed this shakes up the randomness a little, like Dooku might get a stun in with his lightning when before he couldn't.

I completed nearly every GW I've played, though a couple I gave up on due to time constraints because one random enemy team was just too OP compared to mine. Like they are one-shotting my heroes in the first round.

• Options
    I hardly ever use the shut the game down thing but use the retreat a good amount unless Daka shines lol.

The retreat function is certainly not a bug, it's there and will always be there.
  • ccfoo
    154 posts Member
    Options
    Hitting 60 recently, I have been facing some tough 60s team, but it is still manageable cause I have gotten Darth Vader at 60. Another hero to fight sidious who was difficult in the past cause he evades all JC/Lum attacks.

Another good addition is Poe, and together with chewie and royal guard, they form the suicide squad to absorb all the AOE/lightning/force blast etc at start of difficult battles before I fight with my main squad.

• Raves
    56 posts Member
    Options
    I've only missed GW once, two days ago, after the 1st day and not knowing what I was doing. The reason I lost was because I was facing a purple heavy Sid/Maul/Dooku/Vader team with the RNG hating me. They literally had every one attack before I got to even though I have a super fast DPS in Leia.
  • KAULI
    517 posts Member
    Options
    GW is a pain for me. Usually playing against good teams of +5 or +10 lvl guys from the half of the way. I finished GW once...
    Rey/chew/phasma/JC/talia
    I will get lumi in few hours, and got sid and ventress today! Hope they help!
  • IG69
    31 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My luck is that I go up against Sid who "randomly" dodges 3 strong attacks in a row.
  • IG69
    31 posts Member
    Options
    I would like to know how many free players are beating GW on a regular basis.
    Anyone with a 5* Vader must be paying real money.
  • RonTom
    268 posts Member
    Options
    Sid AND Ventress? It might be a better idea to focus just one of then from the Arena Shipments, or did you just get a lucky pull for one of them?
  • Options
    i am a lev 60 freetoplayer.. During the "fifties" i was able to complete galaxy wars using the "Force closing" a lot expecially when Sid dodged three times in row.. :D Actually i don't need force close, i simply use the retreat button, but now i have 9 or 10 lev 60 characters full geared and can sustain the 12 battles more easily..
  • KAULI
    517 posts Member
    Options
    RonTom wrote: »
    Sid AND Ventress? It might be a better idea to focus just one of then from the Arena Shipments, or did you just get a lucky pull for one of them?

I got Ventress from arena as a 4th character for the int gear dailies. Finally succeded.
    I had 4k coins saved from first days playing as a newbie xD
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    IG69 wrote: »
    I'm not a free player, I bought the Barriss and Dooku packs and a couple of $5 crystal subscriptions. I beat GW every day.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Daprosy
    90 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    IG69 wrote: »

Just completed my 3rd galactic war and beat it...i got to battle 10 on my first and second try. Main reason was for pulling Barriss in a bronzium...that 3rd healer was key as I found it so hard with only 2* JC and 4* Talia, will be even easier when i get luminara tomorrow

EDIT: IM F2P
  • Options
    I've been finishing GW with some toons lost. I'm sitting at level 55 and find it fun to play. I'm starting to retreat less until hitting the mid to tail end of the GW. Especially when splashed with a lot of debuffs and the opposing team has a lot of buffs. The 3 main toons I have that stay in my rotation from start to finish is Barris, Lumi and Rey.

I am P2P. Bought the Barris, Dooku and FA packs as well as crystals/subscriptions. But I'm not a competitive player. I sit around 300-400 in PVP.
  • xhh2a
    4 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've been breezing through it quite well (since level 50s), even defeated a level 60 team the game threw at me when I was level 53. Only paid for Dooku.

Main Team:
    -Leader: Ima Guan Di (Pulled 3 times from free Bronze!, Replaceable with Phasma, probably better with Han synergy.)
    -Attacker/Ability Blocker: Lum - 6*
    -Stunner: Dooku - 4*
    -Healer: JC - 5*
    -Tank: Han (Very important you DO NOT upgrade Han's taunt duration (2nd taunt duration upgrade) or else his taunt lasts too long and he will die, retreat if necessary) - 5*

Take Damage Teams:
    -Chewie (Leader)
    Some random combination of
    -Red Guard
    -Talia
    -Daaka
    -Sidious
    -Luke
    -Low level characters

High Priority enemies:
    -Glass Cannons
    -AOE ability block, AOE advantage, AOE offense up
    -Enemy Lum

2nd Highest Priority (generally after Lum is dead)
    -Enemy Sidious or anti heal char

Medium Priority Enemies:
    -Daaka (If anyone else is on this list, they tend to be higher priority UNLESS the other person has lots of health, Han's taunt should last long enough for you to get around to her in time)
    -Anakin
    -Kylo Ren (NEVER leave for last)
    -Ventress
    -Anyone with Offense Up

Low Priority Enemies:
    -Dooku (I always save for 2nd or 3rd to last to kill, before the tanks)
    -Tanks with Taunt
    -Savage Oppress
    -Bariss Offee

General Strategy:
    Generally you won't see a high synergy team (ex all resistance or all first order). If you do, bring in the take damage team. Alternatively if the enemy team is really high star
    -Dooku stuns enemy Jedi.
    -Burst down enemy Lum if no higher priority target exists (glass cannons, the odd times when one specific char is higher geared and higher starred, AOE buff givers) using Lum ability block. It's okay to split targets (if there is an AOE buff giver ALWAYS target ability block with Lum against them, this allows you one complete round to burst down their glass cannon without interruptions, it's fine if the AI uses it next round, just retreat).
    -Generally do not use AOE im guan di attack unless required to burst down a target (since we will be retreating after the enemy tank taunts, so you want to save the aoe armor buff for after the retreat)
    -If someone on team is low health AND a squishy target can be killed before the enemy team taunts, taunt with Han, kill the target, heal up with Lum or JC (preferably JC due to low cooldowns), then retreat. Otherwise retreat after enemy tank taunts. Save Han taunt for after the retreat
    -Retreat when enemy taunts, retreat to clear anti heal debuff, aoe damage over time ticks, etc.
    -If you have no heals and someone is low, retreat and bring in a character from B team, wait til only the high health unit is left, then switch back in your low health char and heal.

-Kill tanks last with normal attacks to burn through cooldowns. You should be able to get all your cooldowns this way. Heal if necessary during the end. If you do not (due to killing the tank too fast), bring in the take damage team first to soak up some damage next fight.

You don't need a solid top 5 team to find it a breeze...or maybe my server is just very competitive seeing as I'm generally within the top 200 (rank changes quite a bit, I'm trying to save up my crystals for the 8x pack right now so I'm not really spending on arena advancements, highest I've gone in my server is rank 10).
  • SlyGambit
    1246 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I am FTP (sans $10 in a Dooku pack/crystal script). I only failed GW twice from 40-60 and both times I probably could have won if I hadn't screwed up. Just got slaughtered today even with a strong PvP A team and a pretty good nearly lvl 60 B-team (plus a couple decent replacements and a pair of suicide squads). I've never used force close.

I got wrecked because I faced off against 4 lvl60 counter teams in a row. Kylo ren/fives/phasma/dooku/etc. are pretty easy to crush once but they wear you down with their counters which force you to take damage everytime you kill them. Kylo Ren is basically replacing Bariss as a majority character on teams I'm facing and his health/damage/anti-heal/counter/etc. are the deadliest combo in GW right now.

I don't really mind the challenge. Sucks a bit to be out the tokens for GW shards but better not to auto-win every day.
  • Options
    Just send in 2-3 lvl 5-10 chars and let the opposing team burn their CD skills, then mop up with your A-team. Rinse and repeat.
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    They'd just have to change the order of operations. As it is now, the game saves before you enter a GW battle. They'd need to make it instead save after every attack. What that would do to the game's performance, I have no idea, but it's pretty clear that's the way it would have to be resolved.

You're making this sound far simpler than it actually would be. The game is designed to not have to "phone home" between every attack. Changing this is major surgery.
    It will also lead to a LOT of unhappy campers, because it will slow the game down dramatically and also lead to far more dropped sessions.
    There are other ways they can deal with force-closing but that would be among the most difficult.

I was thinking that, too, but I know that leaving it all to the client is a great way to let a trainer have access to everything it shouldn't.

The point is though, that the force close thing isn't GW working as intended, and getting used to it is dumb.

While I think making a save every attack would have really adverse effects on speed but it would not be difficult to send an alert as soon as a character was killed. That's the only reason people really force close but if the game sent a KO signal to server as soon as a character is taken out then that would resolve it.
  • Options
    ELONCE wrote: »
    Just send in 2-3 lvl 5-10 chars and let the opposing team burn their CD skills, then mop up with your A-team. Rinse and repeat.

This doesn't work well enough against multi-attack phasma teams or fast single shot damage teams. Lvl 60 gear 7 chars are so fast they will effectively destroy your <lvl 40 chars before they're even able to get a 100-500hp shot off and often will do it either without processing their AOE. In the case of Sid he is actually more effective against a good team w/o using his AoE so it hurts a lot trying to bring in low level suicide squads to face off against him (plus he gets health everytime they die so they can't focus him).

It can help occasionally but it's really minimal. And they don't really help that much when you face 5-6 lvl60 teams in a row.
  • Options
    Well, for my line-up, if i get the taunts of opp team to go off, then it's a breeze. Any/every other skill they burn on my lowbies is a bonus. Been clearing the GWs pretty quick with that strategy, may have been lucky but works fine for me. Lvl 58 atm