6 and 7 Star Darth Vader

Prev13456713
EA_Jesse
663 posts SWGOH Dev Team
edited January 2016
Greetings Heroes,

As some of you have noticed, there have been a number of players with a 6 or 7 star Darth Vader. This raised some flags with us since the highest star Darth Vader a player could obtain currently is 5, and that is only if all achievements are completed that are in the game.

There was an exploit that players were using to obtain extra Darth Vader shards, thus allowing them to Promote him to 6 or 7 stars. This exploit has already been fixed and will no longer allow extra Darth Vader shards to be obtained through the method that was used.

We have decided to not ban these players, but will be taking additional action in the near future with these accounts.

As a temporary solution, all 6 and 7 star Darth Vader characters will be lowered in power for all players so that they are the same as a 5 star version. So if you come across a 6 or 7 star Darth Vader in Arena or Galactic War, know that they only have the stats of a 5 star version. Once we are able to take the additional action referenced above, we will back out this temporary change to the 6 and 7 star versions of Vader.

We take cheating and abuse of exploits very seriously because it upsets the balance of the game and can give certain players an unfair advantage against the rest of the community who are playing by the rules.

Thanks.
Community Manager for Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes | Follow me on Twitter - Darokaz
Post edited by EA_Jesse on

Replies

• Options
    sounds good, but vader has never been a problem for me he's one of the most pointless characters when AI is controlling him but in the hands of an attacker he will be very effective at picking off your biggest threat
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    EA_Jesse wrote: »
    We take cheating and abuse of exploits very seriously because it upsets the balance of the game and can give certain players an unfair advantage against the rest of the community who are playing by the rules.

I appreciate the update. I hope you will tell us what action you have taken. This is important, because serious penalties for cheating are the only real way to show that cheating is taken seriously.
    I must admit that I am disappointed that these players have not been banned. I've played other games where cheaters were only given mild punishments, and the results were very bad.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    Slight confusion, are they keeping their 6 or 7 star Vader, but you are just removing the power level?

Or are you dropping their Vaders down to 4 or 5 star?

Seems strange to leave these people with 6 or 7 star characters, that once you change back the data they got a killer character.
  • Options
    i also find this strange if they are allowed to keep a 7 star vader seems like he will be a monster after update if he's maxed out
  • Options
    Why is lowering their power a temporary change? Why not return their Vader to the 5* character it should be? Is that too difficult to implement? I don't know anything about game coding so maybe I'm wrong in thinking you can even the playing field in that way.
  • Options
    We have decided to not ban these players, but will be taking additional action in the near future with these accounts.
    As a temporary solution, all 6 and 7 star Darth Vader characters will be lowered in power for all players so that they are the same as a 5 star version. So if you come across a 6 or 7 star Darth Vader in Arena or Galactic War, know that they only have the stats of a 5 star version. Once we are able to take the addition action referenced above, we will back out this temporary change to the 6 and 7 star versions of Vader.

For now, we are doing what I mentioned above. This is not the final action being done.
    Community Manager for Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes | Follow me on Twitter - Darokaz
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    It sucks they don't ban em. But in this world of 'ban = insta-refund from Google', I can see why they chose not to do this.

Man, I miss playing MMO's where Blizzard could just ban someone and you can't screw over the developer.
  • Options
    elegiggle-54e37134f5b8d5bbb703edcfef5a1cdf.png
  • Options
    Barrok wrote: »
    It sucks they don't ban em. But in this world of 'ban = insta-refund from Google', I can see why they chose not to do this.

Man, I miss playing MMO's where Blizzard could just ban someone and you can't screw over the developer.
    Tbh, google takes the hit anyway. They shouldn't really care about refunds.
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Options
    One concern though is that if they've had these 6/7 star Vader's for any length of time, they would also be using them to earn additional benefits. If they've cheated into getting a character stronger than their average power they would have used this to get more rewards from Arena, GW, etc. So even if their Vader is dialed back now, they've already benefitted from him.

There should be an additional penalty to their other characters, crystal/credit supply, and shard count to compensate for this. Otherwise they win even if their Vader is completely stripped.
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    GuitarAce wrote: »
    Why is lowering their power a temporary change? Why not return their Vader to the 5* character it should be? Is that too difficult to implement? I don't know anything about game coding so maybe I'm wrong in thinking you can even the playing field in that way.

My guess is that it is the fastest way to neutralize the cheating. Since nobody should have more than 5* they can quickly change some stats and neuter the 6* and 7* Vaders, then they have more time to deal with this more thoroughly later on.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    GuitarAce wrote: »

My guess is that it is the fastest way to neutralize the cheating. Since nobody should have more than 5* they can quickly change some stats and neuter the 6* and 7* Vaders, then they have more time to deal with this more thoroughly later on.

That makes sense. I just hope the "additional action" is to not let those players keep a character that none of us are capable of obtaining at this point in the game.
  • Options
    The only problem I have with it is the fact that exploit does not equal cheat. If they Modded the game then that is cheating but taking advantage of a glitch in the game is not cheating...its part of the game until its patched. I've read on some forums how some have received double or triple the rewards for arena battle and no one is complaining about them. for the most part, there will always be people buffed and dropping all sorts of money or even taking advantage of exploits...i for one probably would've done it, too. However, it's just a game. A free game. Get over it and just enjoy it.
  • Options
    Just turn all their 4*+ characters into 1* Mob enforcers. Give them only one attack though, a 5 turn delay on the grenade. Lol, watch them die a thousand deaths.
  • Options
    DarthDamon wrote: »
    The only problem I have with it is the fact that exploit does not equal cheat. If they Modded the game then that is cheating but taking advantage of a glitch in the game is not cheating...its part of the game until its patched. I've read on some forums how some have received double or triple the rewards for arena battle and no one is complaining about them. for the most part, there will always be people buffed and dropping all sorts of money or even taking advantage of exploits...i for one probably would've done it, too. However, it's just a game. A free game. Get over it and just enjoy it.

They obviously knew what they were doing was wrong and unintended. Unfortunately EA let the abusers off extremely easy... I hope in the future a slap on the wrist isn't their go-to punishment.
  • Options
    Elyndria wrote: »

They obviously knew what they were doing was wrong and unintended. Unfortunately EA let the abusers off extremely easy... I hope in the future a slap on the wrist isn't their go-to punishment.

Well, I'm sure they knew what they were doing. And, I'm sure if you knew how to do it you would've done it too. Don't get too **** over the "cheaters", I say just take the extra stars away and that it. They didn't alter the game in anyway.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    And, I'm sure if you knew how to do it you would've done it too.
    I knew how to do it. I didn't.
    Don't get too **** over the "cheaters", I say just take the extra stars away and that it.
    Do this and the message sent is "if an exploit shows up you might as well use it because at worst, you'll end up where you were before you did it". Not wise.
  • Options

Which is probably why they aren't outright banning them. I agree exploiting a game glitch is different than altering game code to your advantage. But they shouldn't get to keep a 6 or 7* Vader that they never should have been able to obtain in the first place, if they did get to keep them then it certainly doesn't discourage future exploits. Although I don't think it would be possible to determine what items/characters/etc they got as a result of having a high starred player none of us non-exploiters were able to build.
  • Options

I think it isn't a glitch, it is a cheat. The devs just dont want to talk about it cause there might be many more problems to come if others player have a clue on how this game can be cheated.
  • Options
    If you don't alter the game then its a glitch. Cheating is modding it, that was not done in this case.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options

It's not Free for those who pay, and they pay enough to keep the game going dor everybody.

I hope they crush them hard. Not ban them, because of the refunds. Something more appropiated like not getting any rewards from arena or GW for a month would be nice.
  • Options
    Let's agree to disagree.
  • Options
    I think a temporary ban would be sufficient punishment for those players. 7 days or so. This was a bug that players cannot unknowingly exploit.
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    If you don't alter the game then its a glitch. Cheating is modding it, that was not done in this case.

That is a really loose interpretation of cheating. My personal belief is that using a "glitch" to accelerate your progress in a game is a cheat. You are cheating the intended behavior.

• Options
    Unbelievable.
  • Options
    How they know which players cheated besides the obvious one ones, which leveled their Vader to above 5 stars? If someone is smart he or she would only get the shards and not upgrade it and thus able to use it later onwards. Or there is a way to see who used the exploit?
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    It is not a glitch. It's a bug. There's a difference.

Also, happy to see you devs taking action. Hats off to ya.
  • Options
    Kiddy wrote: »
    How they know which players cheated besides the obvious one ones, which leveled their Vader to above 5 stars? If someone is smart he or she would only get the shards and not upgrade it and thus able to use it later onwards. Or there is a way to see who used the exploit?
    They probably changed the max stats of vader to 5*s stats globally until they can change the flagged accounts.

• Options
    Wow nuetering cheaters instead of banning them. If a player will cheat once, they will cheat again!! Please ban the cheaters!!!
  • Options
    Everyone who done this was intentionally exploiting the glitch and should be banned, simple as. There should be no middle ground with cheaters.