Debunking Rumors

Prev1345
EA_Jesse
663 posts SWGOH Dev Team
edited January 2016
Hey there Heroes,

There have been a few rumors going around on the forums that are not true. @CG_JohnSalera and I have replied to a few instances of these rumors, but I figured it would be good to have them all in one place so that they are easier to find.

1. Suspected advantage given to the AI -- We reviewed the code and data, sought info and video from the community, and after spending quite a bit of time on this, nothing turned out to be wrong. Meaning: the AI-controlled characters aren't given advantage over player-controlled characters.
2. Suspected mis-awarding of shards from Chromium 4x and 8x packs -- We reviewed the code and data, sought info and video from the community, and spent a huge amount of QA time trying to reproduce this issue. This has also yielded nothing. There *are* visual bugs and those are being addressed in our next major update. Specifically, if you get (for example) more than one drop of the same character from one pack, the progress bar display only counts up only the last drop's worth of shards -- even when showing the first drop's shards. That's complicated, so let me talk through an example. If before you opened a pack you had 20 shards of Cad Bane, and then opened and 8x pack that gave you two drops of 12 Cad Bane shards each, the count up display would show 32 counting up to 44 for the first drop, and then 32 counting up to 44 for the second drop. Looks wrong and isn't clear at all. In the future, this will turn into 20 counting up to 32 for the first drop and 32 counting up to 44 for the second drop. Lots of words there, hope that's clear. :)
3. Suspected lack of fairness in how shards are dropped in Hard mode -- We reviewed the code and also tried to reproduce the problem. Nothing other than a true randomness is at work here. The team is discussing ways to modify the experience so players don't run into as many hot or cold streaks. (Obviously the cold streaks are the perceived issue.)
4. Cheaters and exploiters - We have been aware of people who aren't playing by the rules. We've been spending time plugging some exploits and preparing what will happen by those folks. Stay tuned (and try to be patient here if you can).
5. Suspected merging of Arena Leaderboards - This actually didn't take much time, but I wanted to include it for clarity. There has been an on-going rumor that we are quietly merging certain leaderboards (which people also call shards, servers, or other names). This isn't happening. We haven't done this nor have plans to merge leaderboards.
Community Manager for Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes | Follow me on Twitter - Darokaz

Replies

• Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Options
    EA_Jesse wrote: »
    3. Suspected lack of fairness in how shards are dropped in Hard mode -- We reviewed the code and also tried to reproduce the problem. Nothing other than a true randomness is at work here. The team is discussing ways to modify the experience so players don't run into as many hot or cold streaks. (Obviously the cold streaks are the perceived issue.)
    Can you um, just get rid of the cold streaks...and leave the hot ones? :*
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • HavokTrigger
    897 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thank you.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    Cool, thanks a lot for this post @EA_Jesse! I've been very tempted to call confirmation bias on many of these rumours already. People tend to remember the bad streaks and forget the good ones. It's just human nature. I realise that debunking these rumours must take a lot of time that could have been better spent elsewhere. But it's a good thing to not let erroneous assumptions proliferate. Cheers, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next update. Keep it up!
  • Options
    Ah, thank you for clearing all this up. Iv'e been seeing all this "mumbo-jumbo" all week and was wondering about it.
  • Options
    Ty for the update!
  • Options
    AI controlled bugs like when NPC have insane speed or can throw thermal detonators every round been fixed yet? Killing chewie in DS 6 hard is insane. Or LS 4L
  • Preemo_Magin
    1826 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    In other word (puts humorous hat) we suck at arena and make exucises, plus are bad losers when pulling odds. What else?

Guys, what's left standing that we can complain about when waiting for reset? Leia? Poe speed at level 70?

I feel void and empty worded after all this clarity! :blush:
  • Options
    I thank you for the update to your investigations on things. I truly hope this becomes a regular thing so we can keep up-to-date on things. You might see us as simply players, but we're also investors. We invest our time and patience to enjoy what has so far been a very fun game. I'm sure many of us would like to see a fair game, and sometimes RNG isn't fair.... I get that. Too many app companies have burned players in the past, so there might be some expectation of that which is unwarranted.

Prove us wrong, keep up the good work!

As far as the future, are you open to ideas or suggestions for features or ui changes to the game that could make things a little more fluid? If so, where could I send some suggestions, or do you just pay your staff to come up with those kind of things?
    I don't care anymore. I tried to be nice, I tried to speak my concerns... you trolls just brought me to the dark side. Way to go. Working as intended.
  • Keaven
    1099 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's disappointing that you cannot replicate the missing shard experiences that players are having.

If you played the game us much as we do you would appreciate that many people are aware of how many shards some of their heroes have to notice the difference between the confirmed display bug and missing shards.

I suspect the way you are testing it is flawed and the problem has little/nothing to do with the opening of data packs itself, but some other glitch which is only replicatable with genuine accounts.

Hopefully someone who experiences it in the future will be able to identify the possible cause and capture some evidence to assist, as it is impossible to do without expecting or suspecting it could occur.

Whilst I'm sure there are people getting confused by the display bug reporting the problem, myself and many other sources I trust to know the difference have experienced missing shards.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/1624/character-shards-from-chromium-packs-are-not-awarded-correctly
    Post edited by Keaven on
    Profile: Keaven
    Guild: Fear The Boot
  • Options
    @Keavan (and anyone else who believes they've been shorted on the correct number of shares from a 4x or 8x pack) - Please PM your ally code to @EA_Jesse. He can review your account history.

As part of the extensive investigation last week into this claimed issue, we had people who felt they had missed out on some shards on the forums submitting their ally codes. Each time the correct number of shards were awarded. People were (understandably) confused by that display issue referenced above.

Also, many of us on the team are playing the game with "genuine accounts" (as you called it) quite a bit, every day.
  • Options
    As mad as I get at bad luck in PvP and GW I can't say I agree with the AI being boosted. I've had just as many "did that really just happen" moments in my favor as the AI has. Sometimes I feel bad about the lucky things that happen for me in PvP. This is just the way stat based RPGs work and it's all part of the fun for me
  • Options
    This update is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • Options
    Just a idea but could you throw up a roadmap so we know expected content and updates? With rough drop dates by week?
  • Options
    Just a idea but could you throw up a roadmap so we know expected content and updates? With rough drop dates by week?

I think it would be nice to know in general what is going to be in the next update. Not asking for promises or anything. Just a general idea. When it is going to be is not really that important.
  • Rutank
    409 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What about that barriss buff rumor I've been spreading? Also rebuff resistance pilot/fighter. Maybe not as much as they were before but back up some.

Edit: change greedos nade to instant dmg, right now it's 100% useless
  • Options
    Thanks for posting. Frequent posts from EA and GC are appreciated.
  • Options
    Psychor wrote: »
    Thanks for posting. Frequent posts from EA and GC are appreciated.

This
  • Options
    Thanks for the update! Not surprising or anything but it's confirmed now :)
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Keaven
    1099 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Keavan (and anyone else who believes they've been shorted on the correct number of shares from a 4x or 8x pack) - Please PM your ally code to @EA_Jesse. He can review your account history.

As part of the extensive investigation last week into this claimed issue, we had people who felt they had missed out on some shards on the forums submitting their ally codes. Each time the correct number of shards were awarded. People were (understandably) confused by that display issue referenced above.

Also, many of us on the team are playing the game with "genuine accounts" (as you called it) quite a bit, every day.
    Thanks John. Good to know.

Finding the increased communication through these forums really encouraging too.
    Profile: Keaven
    Guild: Fear The Boot
  • Options
    Any news on subs?
  • Dreamwalk3r
    101 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The team is discussing ways to modify the experience so players don't run into as many hot or cold streaks.
    Pity timer please? If any of the items in the drop table doesn't drop for, say, 2/dropchance times (6 times for 0.33) - it's guaranteed drop next time. Disables extra long cold streaks while not altering drop experience much.
  • Options
    would be really nice to show the gear and shards drop chances %. This will also decrease the community complains and whining posts
  • Options
    Thanks for the update!
    Some people here on the forum have been really feeding these rumours. They appear on every thread complaining about the AI or drop rates. Really annoying.
  • Options
    Rutank wrote: »
    What about that barriss buff rumor I've been spreading? Also rebuff resistance pilot/fighter. Maybe not as much as they were before but back up some.

Edit: change greedos nade to instant dmg, right now it's 100% useless

Agree with this. I purchased the starter pack and got greedo. I've leveled him a bit and like his crit hit and double attack, but his thermal detonator is completely worthless, so I'm afraid to use him in arena bc I don't want him there for defense. I think it should go off immediately.
  • Options
    I am relieved to know that the bobba fett who revived 10 times in a row in today gw was just a coincidence.

However, did anybody notice leah isn't broken as always or i just had good luck with her today.
  • Options
    @Sakichan
    There has been some behind the scene "fixes". I believe Leia is one of them cause she seems less broken. She does however, gives everyone that buff on AI side still. So I'm not 100% sure about this but you might be right ;)
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • EM650
    1120 posts Member
    Options

4. Cheaters and exploiters - We have been aware of people who aren't playing by the rules. We've been spending time plugging some exploits and preparing what will happen by those folks. Stay tuned (and try to be patient here if you can).
    Is this in reference to the 7* Vader or is there something else?
  • Options
    EM650 wrote: »

Is this in reference to the 7* Vader or is there something else?

I believe he's referring to the mod apk users, the Vader issue has been patched....
  • Options
    Hopefully you do SOMETHING about the drop rates as at this rate my Ima-Gun Di will be 4* forever. I have run the only missions I have unlocked for him 3 times every day since I had access to it and have only got 8 shards towards 5*, and 1 of those was a GW reward and 1 from a bronzium pull. I haven't had a single drop in nearly 2 weeks for him. That's just annoying.
  • Options
    Edit: change greedos nade to instant dmg, right now it's 100% useless[/quote]

In addition fix Greedos critical hits, I see the AI critical hits /damage proc go off more than his even though his is much higher than most.