Up to date f2p guide

Replies

• Raw
    559 posts Member
    Options
    wawrzon wrote: »
    With all that being said, I would like to hear your opinion on this topic.

If you have followed my postings in this thread, I did quite the same as you say.

- No QGJ for me, but Boba. Works fine (lvl 64), but have him on gear lvl VIII and no chance for lvl IX soon.

- No Phasma for me, but I was given Wedge for free. So can't really judge this.
    (well, Phasma on 3* but only use her for my dark side nodes)

- With JC you won't come far. Just won today against No. 2 in my arena who was lvl75 (me 64), because he had a JC.

- Chaze: What do you do against Baze? I focus now strongly on Sun Fac. I hope clearing the Buffs will do the trick.

• Options
    JC is quite bad for arena, buta powerhouse of fleet arena so still worth leveling up.

My point was that, following OP guidelines, I got stuck being forced to use JC in arena. Otherwise I get nuked before I can take any action. Still manage to get top10, but it's as you say - I get sniped easily and have to work diligently before reset to get my spot back. It's getting harder and harder. I have no idea how OP was able to get any decent top spot with his arena team, he wouldn't be able to get in my top50 with it. Would get blown up before phasma could do anything useful.

When it comes to Baze it's hard. For me it's a coin flip here, since I have to go with phasma, qgj, gs, sth and jc. It's a nighmare matchup. Basically 2 strategies: cleanse his buffs with qgj and try to burst him (works 50/50 for me but only if I got assisted attacks from gs, qgj and phasma proc) while sth taunt is up to boost your TM. Second - tricky, but doable - strategy is getting him to retaliate onto sth while retribution is on him, so your units can attack him twice, before heal over time kicks in. It's only doable after turn 2, so he wont dispell taunt.

Sun Fac is the way to go, from what I heard. Also read about empire team doing quite well against him, with vader zeta (omega?) - it reaplies debuffs after they get cleans, so chirrut isn't helping that much there.
  • Raw
    559 posts Member
    Options
    Sun fac can be added easier then buying a whole new team... and fits to my GS in fleet, so he sure seems preferable in Guild Store and Fleet store for me.
  • Options
    JC is quite bad for arena, buta powerhouse of fleet arena so still worth leveling up.

My point was that, following OP guidelines, I got stuck being forced to use JC in arena. Otherwise I get nuked before I can take any action. Still manage to get top10, but it's as you say - I get sniped easily and have to work diligently before reset to get my spot back. It's getting harder and harder. I have no idea how OP was able to get any decent top spot with his arena team, he wouldn't be able to get in my top50 with it. Would get blown up before phasma could do anything useful.
    It's unclear to me who you replaced with JC, really, so I can't say much here. Maybe it's even better to farm Biggs right away, even without Wedge (but I think Phasma lead gives better Arena rank), because you can concentrate right away on gearing him.
    The Boba vs. QGJ debate is interesting, but I still am sure that it's better to start with QGJ, because your Wiggs team will be stronger much faster, the gearing is just no comparison.
    Two stories I would like to tell here: The account of the guide is level 81 now, and I finally replaced QGJ, but with Emperor Palpatine. The Arena team now is Wiggs, Lando, STH, Palp and doing well. Palp of course was quickly geared to level 10 while Boba still is waiting for two Mk 6 Hypos to get to gear 9...
    Then I have my original account which always was between rank 20 and 50 in Arena, lately with STH, Lando, RG, QGJ, GS. I finally decided to make the effort to farm and gear up Wiggs here as well, and am running the Wiggs, Lando, STH, QGJ team here (with worse mods than the newer account and Palp still stuck on gear 8, my newer account really gets all the lucky breaks). I am speaking of a shard with most players at level 85 of course. And with this team I am regularly finishing Arena top 20 again. So, yes, I stand by the assertion that QGJ is the character to go for first, and Boba second.

• wawrzon
    262 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I hope that you read my previous comment - on previous page, I summarized all there.
    Knowing your current status it shed a bit of light as to why we disagree on this topic.
    From a starters point of view, which I am still, I have to sincerily disagree with your words about Boba, to an extent. Seems you didn't fully understand what I was getting at with my prolonged post.
    Bottom line comparing Boba to QGJ - in begginer/intermediate level arena Boba is by far superior with his better and more versatile skillset. QGJ is just a dmg dealer, whereas Boba can be so much more, depending on the situation, especially taking into account his base speed.
    Your guide is focused on getting best end result. What I'm suggesting and advocating for is to get similar end results, but better midway results. My point about Boba and QGJ was, that you SHOULD farm them both, but switch begginer priority.
    Now here's my experience talking - by lvl 49 and onward I had QGJ max geared up (having 3-4 spare levels till next gear will be available, he is easy to gear like you mentioned). In addition, by lvl 56 QGJ would be max tier (switched farming to Boba after QGJ 6*).
    The point I was making is - start off with Boba and get him to 6* or max out. You should be able to do it by the same time as with QGJ or faster if you use hard nods occasionally. You will get a fully functional and powerfull Boba by lvl 52-55 ( he also gets his tier7 gear much faster than QGJ, its next tier thats crippling for him). If you start QGJ farm after Boba, I'm preety sure you'll get him fully unlocked and geared up around 66-68lvl. By then Boba will get left behind and you can easily switch to QGJ if needed.
    About Phasma - like I said, with Boba and Biggs roaming around on lower level arena squads, she is made redundant and too slow to make an impact. I can easily see her more viable with Boba in her team. Maybe it would change at higher levels - I yet need to wait and see.
    To sum up and as a warning - one of my yeaterday's arena fights prnt.sc/dqp7dl
    And that's not my top tier opponents, they were similar level, but faster Boba. You can imagine what's going on if opponent has chaze/wiggs/boba team... I still manage to get top10, but it's so painful and RNG dependant.
    I commend you if you were able to get top3 consistently with your proposed squad. Seems RNG loved you or I'm just crappy as hell ;) Or maybe my whales are just a new genetically modified breed ;)
  • Raw
    559 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you start QGJ farm after Boba, I'm preety sure you'll get him fully unlocked and geared up around 66-68lvl.

If Cantina Tokens are your main source, rather ~70 or more. I say this because I started right away with Ashoka Tano after Boba, and we had this December free Boba shards. So starting now, one will be even higher lvl then us when finishing Boba. And my Ashoka is now 4,5 stars only, although I buy 200 cantina energy every day.

You can also do the math. 300 cantina energy a day results in about 500 cantina tokens (factor 1,65, depends on what you do). So with 2 shards from hard nodes, roughly 7 shards a day. And for me on lvl 65 it's about 2-3 days a level.

100 (star7)
    85 (star6)
    65 (star5)
    30 (star4)
    25 (star3)
    25 (star2)
    330 shards / 7 per day = 47 days?

Edit: I just saw you wrote "fully unlocked", not "7 stars". Well with lvl70 you rather need a 7 star toon, not a 3 star toon to you arena. So the decision is quite long-term, what toon to start with.
  • wawrzon
    262 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    With QGJ getting same tier gear as Boba on 65lvl, it's safe to say they're on par throughout 65-70 lvl (neither gets tier8 done).

If you count all energy then its 120 basic +45 midday bonus +240 refills + free level up energy (roughly around 15-20 if you average it throughout 1-70lvl). So it's 420 daily (lets take floor here). Doing the math properly it's 628 shards daily. Of course thats assuming you're diligent and meticulous. After some magical math it rounds up to 43 days to get a full unit from scrath. If you get 2 additional shards from nodes then it's shortened to 36 days.

So my initial math was a bit off, because of that 5 days of double cantina energy (hope they'll make it monthly event). Thanks for pointing that out. It would be possible to get him fully farmed around 70, as you pointedout.

Edit: Saw you added smth so wanted to chip in. I assume anything below fully unlocked QGJ is kinda subpar since his stats aren't so great. In case of Boba, he does preety well with 5-6*. You could easily decide then if you want to switch to QGJ.
  • Drizz
    31 posts Member
    Options
    how many cantina refreshes do you guys recommend to get this going fast :) i still dont have my QGJ starred so high :)
  • Raw
    559 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    (roughly around 15-20 if you average it throughout 1-70lvl).

No, because you said it is our second toon, so lower. Maybe take an average of lvl60-70, say 4 days a level (for these who don't have 300 crystals to spent, longer). So maybe 10 :)

For Boba 7stars, I needed a month quite exactly. I started Nov. 28th and the last 7 shards from the Boba event were turned in the shard store. The second toon must take longer ofc,
    - with not so many level ups,
    - with no cantina doubles,
    Edit: on the other hand, the first days cantina is unavailable *sigh*
  • Raw
    559 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Drizz wrote: »
    how many cantina refreshes do you guys recommend to get this going fast :) i still dont have my QGJ starred so high :)

2 cantina refreshes and 2 energy refreshes for me, so I need 300 crystals a days, which I have every day so far.

Additional crystals I spent in
    - mod packs 2x (was okay as investment, although only 4 dot)
    - arena fight refreshes (highly recommended*)
    - fleet arena fight refreshes (highly recommended*)
    and some shopping, a gear for 300 once and Boba shards for 200 (which I regret^^)

*In the first levels to get you to rank 20 or so, and occasionally if you are below rank 10 and are able to fight yourself higher for a decent payout.
  • Raw
    559 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
  • wawrzon
    262 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    No, because you said it is our second toon, so lower. Maybe take an average of lvl60-70, say 4 days a level (for these who don't have 300 crystals to spent, longer). So maybe 10 :)

Yes, if we assume it's second then yes, if first then a bit higher.
    Same for me - 2 daily.

Edit:
    1 thing I forgot to mention in my previous post. Getting Boba up faster will grant you much more crystals from higher arena ranks. Which can then be invested in chromium/mods/gear. So even though he's hard to gear, you can still profit from having him. You can even go with extra cantina refresh for 200 crystals to speed it up. Basically, you can invest all you earn daily from arena. So in the long run it's not so bad to invest up front to get more refills/better gear since you'll get it back from top3 arena rank over a week or two.
  • Raw
    559 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Another thing I would like to discuss, do you buy Bronzium Packs or do you save your ally tokens for the events?

The last event I invested about 25k tokens to be #185 (price range <200). Not quite sure if you not better invest in these bronziums, but I think the events are better. You have a chance to get better prices. I received a decent amount of ship building credits so that was what I was aiming for. Boosted my Sun Fac's ship to 60 right away.
  • Options
    I invested around 70-80k on this event and got top10, but I only participated last 2h and my unit pool is very limited (58lvl now).
    I differenciate 2h before event ends, if I can get top10 or not. If not, top200 is ok. It mostly depends on prize range. I guess you have to go at it on a day-to-day basis. No clear cut best way.
    For Cassian/Jyn event I went in similarly with top25 results, but I won't do it again. Farming toons is not worth it since they are chromium exclusive so until they implement them in cantina nodes it's pointless to invest. Best way is to pick a optimal prize range and stay stay there.
    This tournament netted me 60 Vader ship shards, so it was worth 80k ally points imo.
    Buying bronziums seems good if you got some toons to 7* already with vast pools of units. That way you're bound to get at least some usefull ones + you can trade them in shard shop for smth good or gear. On lower levels it's similar to buying chromiums, you might get smth good, but whats the point if you can't progress farming it or dont have money to gear it.
    Care to elaborate what you think ?
  • Raw
    559 posts Member
    Options
    I differenciate 2h before event ends, if I can get top10 or not.

So you really calculate it? Do you have the numbers? I can only roughly say the first fights give like 35 per surviving toon of yours, the last ones only 8.
    So it's important not to lose any toons in the first fights. So maybe send the stronger team first?
    On lower levels it's similar to buying chromiums, you might get smth good, but whats the point if you can't progress farming it or dont have money to gear it.

I agree. I got a 4* Datcha out of bronzium but have no use for her. Also I got this free Bistan and spent some gear in him, which seems now wasted, I don't need him right now. So why would you invest in the future at a stage with low income? Rather aim for what you need now, and the event's rewards (other then the obivious shards) can be quite good.

I think you need to always have a plan. My plan is right now:
    Ahsoka (for Ship Arena and Raid)
    Ackbar (dito)
    Sun Fac
    Wedge
    Darth Maul
    Boba's Ship, Slave I
    Rex (for Raid)
    GS (for Ship Arena)
    JC (for Ship Arena)
    ****'s Ship (Arena)

and most important, level my arena team.

I also look a bit in the future. Next level 66, I will be able to equip the first ability to the next level, so I need to safe III-ability-mats. For this reason, I concentrate on the 5 main toons.

• Options
    Seems you got all figured out, great. I tend to do it too, but meta changes and new toons are added so things may differ in few weeks. But your reasoning is good and sound, no complaints there.

I put in a rough eastimate, based on previous tournament. I get 1k points from first day. And look how many points is top10 and top50. If its between 3-4k then it's easy to get in 40min, just a matter of ally points. After that I look how many toons and ally points I'm left with. If enough I push, if not I keep spot.
    I usualy start with lowest units first. At start of tournament - all opponents give out similar reward. SO its easy to snipe even 40lvl units (had quite a few 30-40lvl teams this tournament). I save my strongest units for last - just because when you advance you get tougher opponents with best synerfy. So if you want to get fight done fast and rank up, better to go with best units. There's no sense to expect that top tier players have crappy defence. Overall - I try to snipe easiest units whenever I can, they sometimes give out 6/13 points instead of 7/14 but if I can save up a turn of my strongest units then its worth it ( as long as it costs less than 1k per unit).
    So why would you invest in the future at a stage with low income? Rather aim for what you need now, and the event's rewards (other then the obivious shards) can be quite good.
    It's a matter of efficiency. After 80lvl, you can have awful luck and get mega whales in your bracket or meet ppl playing for months with a vast number of units. They will easily outscore you. So pushing hard at that point is kinda pointless. It can be fun and rewarding, but more than often not. And at that point you yourself have quite a few units unlocked and are probably increasing your pool of units. With that being said, even those more rare units can have a purpose then - ewok squads for raids, jawa squads for droid event or mod challenges. Or let's say Cad Bane as scoundrel for heist. At that point you probably dont have such a high need to farm a toon or can spare energy to farm smth if you need it. Going for bronzium might reward you smth and push you to start farming it. And as a bonus, if you get shards of what you have 7* now thn you can just convert them in shard shop for smth useful.
  • Raw
    559 posts Member
    Options
    I would like to mention that a lot of people have Wedge on 5star with lvl64 already, and Boba's Ship. Probably they invest in Fleet Store resets for 50 crystals a day. I started that now, too. Otherwise you only see 5 shards of Wedge a day.
  • Options
    How do we counter baze as a f2p...
  • Options
    Also I can easily make it to rank 6 in arena with this guides arena team but defeating those with boba seems impossible. Rank 1-5 seems out of reach. I am thankful that I only have 4 whales to deal with though.

Also raw I hate you for being given wedge out of the gate... that is like cheating! ;)
  • Options
    I'm level 49 at the moment and hardly see Rey in the Guild store. What should I use my guild point for, both Rey and Ewok Elder?
  • Raw
    559 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm level 49 at the moment and hardly see Rey in the Guild store. What should I use my guild point for, both Rey and Ewok Elder?

Depends a little how fast you get your tokens. Our guild is a bit slow with the 6*AAT (I make it to no. 30 in DD although ofc no real dmg), but fast with heroic rancor, so I can farm 2 toons. If you are in a better guild, you can even farm 3 or 4 at once. If you guild is worse, farm only one.

I want Maul, Rex and Sun Fac, but had to pause Rex for now.
    Just make sure to have 400 free when your fav appears.

• wawrzon
    262 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Get Ewok Elder if JC isn't enough for GW or you're in a middle-of-the-pack guild that doesnt habve many heavy hitters. In doing so you'll benefit the most - get better raid rewards and steady GW finishes. I bought some to unlock hi, bt after getting to a heroic guild i stopped - I wont get much dmg done to AAT or heroic rancor anyway, waste of resources for me. But decides based on your needs.

Rex, Rey and Sun Fac are nice to get since you'll eed those in the future. Rey is the closest that you'll need and will use. Jawa engineer is another staple to get but that can wait a bit until you actualy start doing a droid squad. Until then you cna skip him. All in all, if you got a tone of currency left then buyng either one of them will benefit you in the future.
    I would go with Rey>Sun Fac>Rex>Elder>JE.
    Do remember that guild shop is refreshed 3 times a day - midday, 6pm,9pm. Someone correct me if I'm wrong (didn't bother to recheck now).
    Also I can easily make it to rank 6 in arena with this guides arena team but defeating those with boba seems impossible. Rank 1-5 seems out of reach. I am thankful that I only have 4 whales to deal with though.
    Lucky you, I got dolphin/whales in top20. Each team has wiggs or boba in it. Especially Boba hurst this OP squad composition. Sometimes, with awful RNG I can't even make it to top10. Especially since there are a lot of tournaments around and dolphins do tend to buy a lot of mod packs, at least those from my bracket do.
    I would like to mention that a lot of people have Wedge on 5star with lvl64 already, and Boba's Ship. Probably they invest in Fleet Store resets for 50 crystals a day. I started that now, too. Otherwise you only see 5 shards of Wedge a day.
    Maybe, He is also available in shard shop if they are whales, they could get it faster. Also I do remember someone writing that wedge was gien out for free to iOS users for downloading the game, some time ago Idk how much truth is in those words though.
  • Malicious
    38 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Also I do remember someone writing that wedge was gien out for free to iOS users for downloading the game, some time ago Idk how much truth is in those words though.

Yeah that would be our lucky friend raw here
  • Malicious
    38 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So how do you beat boba teams with good rng? Do you kill him first? I avoid him because he regenerates.
  • Raw
    559 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Malicious wrote: »
    So how do you beat boba teams with good rng? Do you kill him first? I avoid him because he regenerates.

I kill him with my Boba :D With execute, then he can't be revived.

If this is not possible, I usually finish the toon first that was hit hardest by Lando's and Wedge's AoE Dmg.

Also, there are strong Bobas and weak Bobas. My Bounty Hunter's Revolve will bring him back with 90% life and I use 2 health mod sets on him. So he won't go down so easily.

Check for the abilities and mods before fight.
    I have one enemy in my top10 I always face (hello Soly) with a +17 speed receiver on Boba and Lando lead.
    My Boba has a +21 speed receiver so with Lando lead his Boba goes first.
    Therefore, in this case I go Lando lead, too.

If you decide to attack Boba, make sure you can really finish him. Otherwise, choose another target.

Against the Wiggs Lando STH Boba classic team I usually target first:

Lando. I can most of the time kill him with Biggs, after my Lando has done his AoE.

Then I do Boba's AoE. If the enemy's STH is ability blocked, I kill Wedge.
    If the enemy's STH resisted, I go for STH (because I know he will taunt next).

Then my STH taunts and the fight is won.

Edit:
    I just lost this way. Because I waited too long, the enemy's Boba had 3 revives. So it would be better to focus him as 3rd char. Lando (because 5vs4), STH (because Taunt will come), Boba (because not too many people of your team should die before him), Biggs/Wedge.

Post edited by Raw on
  • Options
    Raw wrote: »
    Against the Wiggs Lando STH Boba classic team I usually target first:

Lando. I can most of the time kill him with Biggs, after my Lando has done his AoE.

Then I do Boba's AoE. If the enemy's STH is ability blocked, I kill Wedge.
    If the enemy's STH resisted, I go for STH (because I know he will taunt next).

Then my STH taunts and the fight is won.
    This is just weird. STH should be the fastest toon, so he can START with the taunt and give everybody 30% TM to start with. Then I usually kill Wedge first, Lando and Boba next and Biggs always last.
  • Raw
    559 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    https://swgoh.gg/u/raw/collection/stormtrooper-han/
    I have a +30 speed Receiver, a Speed set, and + 17 Speed on other mods. I can't do more atm.

I have him on 179 Speed.
    Can it be that STH's basic speed is very slow?

• Options
    Depends what is Boba surrounded with. Usually he's 2nd/3rd unit to kill on the list. Why ? He has revive so you're almost never be able to kill him twice, especially considering that there will be a taunter/healer in team, not to mention your dps will be crippled cause of his ability block.
    1st: main dps, preferably aoe - Lando, anakin, 86,88 droids
    1st*: main crippler or obstancle in your tactic: QGJ (if you run sth you have to take him out because of his despell or dont use sth then), palpatine, vader, sth (if wiggs took out your only dispeller off the bat or dispeller got ability blocked after he moved)
    2nd: secondary aoe dps (if there was any), supporters or buffers that can ressurrect (daka, jyn) or benefit from deaths (assaji)
    3rd: Boba all the way
    This list is not conclusive since it depends what you're running. Against Boba you have to have good burst dmg ready, so assisted attacks fare well here. Sometimes I wait with killing him even further if there is a high chance one of my units will die shortly. It's better to sacrafice him and attack someone elsse, than deal with second Boba ress.

Sometimes you're royally duped and Boba **** blocks all 5 of your units and then you pray...
    - Chaze: What do you do against Baze? I focus now strongly on Sun Fac. I hope clearing the Buffs will do the trick.

My best tactic for him currently is based solely on Lando. With QGJ I dispell him first round, attack my worst opponents, preferably Lando (most cases). Wait and pray Lando can score crits both turns and I dont get unnecesary death. After that Chirrut is below 100% health and baze taunt kicks in. Dispell it with Boba (if you run him) or with QGJ next round, he will have it off CD. In this scenario decimate Chirrut once his second taunt is off. Worked for me twice already, but it's because it's the only way for me to win. Still figuring out how to go agaisnt chaze/wiggs, but probably it's impossible.
  • Raw
    559 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Still figuring out how to go agaisnt chaze/wiggs, but probably it's impossible.
    That's what people do though^^

Well at least you have your use for QGJ, which I don't have...

• Options
    Raw wrote: »
    Still figuring out how to go agaisnt chaze/wiggs, but probably it's impossible.
    That's what people do though^^
    Well at least you have your use for QGJ, which I don't...
    Well, not much else I can think off, so gotta deal with what I have. But chaze/wiggs is impossible with this setup. Need to get Boba in to have a fighting chance. Sun Fac seems like a necessity atm.