Recent change to Galactic War - open conversation

Replies

• Options
    One question I have... Does anyone know if GW only includes squads from your server? I'm wondering if this is why some of us are running into buzz saws like 5-10 levels higher and geared to the hilt. I'm guessing that i must be on a new or weak server. I have myself all the way up to rank 46 today at level 50. Based on what I have read, that is pretty high for that level. The #1 on my server is only level 58.

If GW does go by arena rank but squads are crossing servers, this could be some of the issue?

I'm not usually one to complain and I'm not going to proclaim myself a god at this game but if you guys could see how fast 17 chars got obliterated both of the last 2 days then you would be amazed. It sounds like others have run into the same problem.
  • Options
    I dunno I beat it today with only losing one character and yesterday with my main 5 still alive with full health. I have had days where it is bad. But i dont see the consistent struggle some of you guys have.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Player level 68.

Top 8 are 64+ and all purple gear. 7* Lumi, Sid and Phasma. Talia is 6* and CW Chewie, JC and Ahsoka are all 5* (Ahsoka will be 6 in the next couple days) Dooku is only 4* right now. As an aside, I didn't intentionally set out to star up Ahsoka, but I noticed in GW when Lumi was the leader, Ahsoka was quietly staying very much alive, doing decent damage and occasionally "group healing". She's a very solid addition to a Jedi/healing team - especially when Chewie can draw fire for a turn with taunt. Wish I had Barriss though.

My 8 "mids" (Team B/C for GW and suicide squads) are levelled in the mid 40s with the tops at 62 and some random purple gears (Daka is 62 purple, FOStorm is 62 purple, IG88 is 55 purple) - but most, not nearly as much. Most are turquoise gear.

The bottom grouping (my "developmental team" lol) has a few level 1 were released "accidentally" and some low 30s who I either gave up on (Royal Guard, Ewok Scout, Resistence Trooper) for better options or simply haven't farmed enough (2* level 32 IG86, 1* level 32 GS, etc.) Half are green gear/ half turq.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    I prefer the new method. Plus people could force close the game before and get the best of both worlds. I like the challenge and can usually complete GW if I take my time
  • kepi0809
    16 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    this gw is ridiculous, i have 2 7* 1 5* 2 4* and i get matched against 5 7* and none of them were useless characters like fives or anything else (there are a lot of actually) so how am i matched with a top 5 arena player? who was even higher than me with 4... FOUR lvls?! and after this i get a similar enemy. U meant its hard not impossible didnt u?? then do this whole thing based on pwr or arena rank... not anything randomly. One day i get easy wins dont even need to retreat or anything. Another day i get 4 almost impossible squads in a row... (like today). Would be great game if it wasnt based to make the ppl pay, if they dont want to get nervous-breakdown or stroke. And either remove the useless characters from the game, or make them useable like windu, plo koon, clone sergant phase 1, first order stormtrooper, royal guard, and so on.
    And stop forcing the players pay for this game, or mention it on google play like: "if u dont pay us u wont get anything but anger from us ;)" or "if u arent rich dont even start this game coz its not free, its just a bait brah ;)" or anything else u are creative that way, when its about money anyway.
    this game could be so great if it wasnt about how much u pay.
    Post edited by Lightforce22 on
  • NonValidUser
    424 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm about 1 month into this game, and new here. Any who..
    Initially i was able to get near the last stage of GL and sometime beat it.
    And that was without even knowing you could retreat. I lost characters along the way
    But now I have a tough time making it to stage 7, facing people 5*/6*s all purple, 9 levels higher than me
    I've tried a suicide square, sacrifice a few to try to ease the fight... I tried my hardest..
    And if I do beat it, I don't have any strength or players to play the next round.. I would get so frustrated
    But I now have accepted that theres no hope, make it maybe 6 rounds and call it a day
    Now I don't even care if I make it, Its just a game lol

Note: I'm mostly a f2p, but I occasionally buy crystals and chromium cards
  • Options
    And STILL not peep one from the devs. Worst customer service. Well it cost them a good chunk of the money I paid them. I got a partial refund.

And I'll never pay EA a cent ever. You don't respond to paying customer concerns and send out a product that "wasn't in line with your intentions", you lose some money. Hope you lose more.

• Options
    I dont get the comments on how they are forcing people to pay. This game has a lot of free elements to it. I have been playing a month im level 61 and have a decent squad top 100 arena everyday and winning GW just about everyday. And i see a lot more character balance then you guys see. Maybe think outside the box a little. Maybe it depends on your goals in the game and needs from the game. But so far I am happy with the game and dont see a reason to complain.
  • Mezmo
    117 posts Member
    Options
    And STILL not peep one from the devs. Worst customer service. Well it cost them a good chunk of the money I paid them. I got a partial refund.

And I'll never pay EA a cent ever. You don't respond to paying customer concerns and send out a product that "wasn't in line with your intentions", you lose some money. Hope you lose more.

I'm not going to say they have gotten it right (they haven't, by a long shot). Nor will I say that they will get it right (although they are clearly working to improve -- after all, this thread was itself created by EA to seek input).

But I do think everyone should take a moment to recognize that they are vastly more engaged and responsive than any other mobile game development team that I have encountered. Moreover, a major update is coming soon, and I understand they will be releasing an 11-page change log today.

Let's not forget, this entire endeavor is based on a business model (yes, business) which seeks to exploit people's frustration and impatience in order to extract money. Full stop. The rest is just window dressing.

Now, to be successful, the developers have to do so while still providing an entertaining experience. But that can be a very fine line to walk. I think it is very clear that the recent change to GW -- particularly the matching imbalances -- have significantly crossed that line into the nakedly exploitative, thereby entering the territory where the game is hemorrhaging good will, entertainment value, and likely vectoring to impact the bottom line. I think this is pretty obvious to everyone (well, to the exclusion of a certain breed of smug, condescending clowns exhibiting a complete lack of empathy and sociopathic tendencies that always crawl out from under their rocks for this sort of discussion. But we can safely ignore them, because they have nothing useful to add.) But I think that message is coming across loud and clear. It certainly should be.

Thus, while I recognize the futility of advocating patience and context on the internet -- let alone in the context of a game openly based on creating and then exploiting frustration and impatience -- it never hurts to take a step back and remind ourselves. And, at the end of the day, if anyone finds themselves getting so wound up by the nature of this that the impatience outweighs the entertainment and you think you should quit -- you really, really probably should. It is the only way to "win," after all. Just my two cents. (And yes, I am frustrated too.)
  • Options
    Some things that could make it less boring and frustrating:

Character bans: At the start of each galactic war, you choose one character that is banned from both your and the Ai's squads.

Character revives: Have one chance per GW to revive your sqaud for crystals.

Finally, and I know everyone says this isn't true but I still say it is: TAKE AWAY AI BUFFS. I'm sorry, you cannot tell me that GW AI Phasmas are proc'ing at a 16% rate. More like 50.
  • Options
    I have finished every day. It is more of a challenge. The problem is not that it is harder, it makes the game less enjoyable. Who really wants to sit there and redo battles all day until you finish with your characters in tact....games like this get monotonous over time. This was an early step in that direction.
  • Options
    Some things that could make it less boring and frustrating:

Character bans: At the start of each galactic war, you choose one character that is banned from both your and the Ai's squads.

Character revives: Have one chance per GW to revive your sqaud for crystals.

Finally, and I know everyone says this isn't true but I still say it is: TAKE AWAY AI BUFFS. I'm sorry, you cannot tell me that GW AI Phasmas are proc'ing at a 16% rate. More like 50.

I love Galactic War. And rarely see Phasma proc. must be bad luck.

• Options
    Yeah the more I play this, the more I don't like it. It's just ground hog day. It's not even hard.
    Tekken 7
  • Options
    m0rality wrote: »
    I have finished every day. It is more of a challenge. The problem is not that it is harder, it makes the game less enjoyable. Who really wants to sit there and redo battles all day until you finish with your characters in tact....games like this get monotonous over time. This was an early step in that direction.

It is hard to believe there are not AI buffs when half my 6-7* lvl 68-70's squad gets decimated by a lvl 59 squad in one round lol. WTH!
    --Nud Stark--
  • Options
    Flawless GW strategy (not me) 13 minute clear

https://youtu.be/Xdkh_H3z-hA
    Roger roger
  • Options
    Dilligaf wrote: »

are u joking?? just check the lvls of his enemies, this guy must be 5000th on arena, that why its so easy. he is 3 lvls higher than his enemies, im 4 lvls lower than my enemies, and they are full 7*, pls show me how he beats such enemies, with 3 healers when they dont even get a turn and they're already dead.
  • Options
    MrClean621 wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I don't think it has to do with number of characters. I have 27 and have been able to complete (but with a BIG challenge) every day for the past week.

Thanks for the input. It was just an a guess of mine. If you don't mind my asking what level are you and are most of those 27 close to max level?

Player level 68.
    Top 8 are 64+ and all purple gear. 7* Lumi, Sid and Phasma. Talia is 6* and CW Chewie, JC and Ahsoka are all 5* (Ahsoka will be 6 in the next couple days) Dooku is only 4* right now. As an aside, I didn't intentionally set out to star up Ahsoka, but I noticed in GW when Lumi was the leader, Ahsoka was quietly staying very much alive, doing decent damage and occasionally "group healing". She's a very solid addition to a Jedi/healing team - especially when Chewie can draw fire for a turn with taunt. Wish I had Barriss though.
    My 8 "mids" (Team B/C for GW and suicide squads) are levelled in the mid 40s with the tops at 62 and some random purple gears (Daka is 62 purple, FOStorm is 62 purple, IG88 is 55 purple) - but most, not nearly as much. Most are turquoise gear.
    The bottom grouping (my "developmental team" lol) has a few level 1 were released "accidentally" and some low 30s who I either gave up on (Royal Guard, Ewok Scout, Resistence Trooper) for better options or simply haven't farmed enough (2* level 32 IG86, 1* level 32 GS, etc.) Half are green gear/ half turq.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    All changes seem good except for the leveling .. I have highest level 57 and I'm facing lvl69 6 star characters ?? Seriously isolate the pay to play clowns and let them all annoy each other
  • Options

Exactly, the new GW is just tedious, monotonous and boring. I have finished it as well, like most of you. It was more like real battle before. Send in a skirmish, guerrilla squad to test the enemy's strength and then bail out. No need send recon in to go toe to toe with Red Coats. Now it is just suicide Kamakazi squads for your bench. Yuk.

The should bring it back the way it was while eliminating the "force close' exploit Make it so if it is your toon dies he dies and so be it. I could be wrong but I think the intent for GW was a PVE deal where you would have to use a different type of squad than the Arena. IMHO it was more strategic before. They should bring back retreat or at the very least switch the name from Retreat to Restart.
  • Options
    kepi0809 wrote: »

are u joking?? just check the lvls of his enemies, this guy must be 5000th on arena, that why its so easy. he is 3 lvls higher than his enemies, im 4 lvls lower than my enemies, and they are full 7*, pls show me how he beats such enemies, with 3 healers when they dont even get a turn and they're already dead.

I'm always joking, I was showing an example of how easy some people can get through GW to give some perspective. Pretty sure he's actually top 50 in arena and there is no need to geif on him.

I am also top 50 in arena and have a simular run with GW.

Just speculation but I don't think top 5 toons and Arena rank is the be all and end all to GW matching.

My thoughts

How long have you been playing and are you staying ahead of the curve over time.

I've been playing for 36 days, lvl 61, I'm completely FTP, always do all the dailies and challenges and I've finished the last 21 GW and sat in top 200 in arena for the most part but in the last week ive been 40-100.

Up until yesterday I was soley working on my top 6 toons

Sid 7* gear 8
    Phasma 5* gear 7
    Lumi 6* gear 7
    JC 5* gear 7
    Dooku 4* gear 7
    Daka 4* gear 6

Apart from that I only have a couple 3 and 2 stars that came free or from bronzium, does my total roster count in matching, quite possibly.

I've just started trying to fill out the other 3 Jedi slots for the upcoming challenge so I will see if GW changes appreciably after I have a larger roster.

As an Android user I got Phasma free, iOS got Poe(iOS should really be the darkside). I think the servers are possibly separate, a possible reason I don't see many Poes.

There were free FOTP shards for log in rewards the month prior to me starting, this is also a likely reason I don't see many FOTP.

Taking these factors into consideration I think there is different Metas that evolve differently mostly depending on when you started playing and possibly what OS you are using.

I think really though the most important thing is to make sure you don't spread your resources too thin.

It would actually be interesting for others to give a break down of their evolution and experience so far to get a better handle on the metrics effecting GW.
    Roger roger
  • Options

I wanna play on his server. I'm weaker than him, 400 places lower in arena and face tougher opponents than his 12th round by round 5.
  • Zekex
    474 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    SteelersCA wrote: »

Exactly, the new GW is just tedious, monotonous and boring. I have finished it as well, like most of you. It was more like real battle before. Send in a skirmish, guerrilla squad to test the enemy's strength and then bail out. No need send recon in to go toe to toe with Red Coats. Now it is just suicide Kamakazi squads for your bench. Yuk.

The should bring it back the way it was while eliminating the "force close' exploit Make it so if it is your toon dies he dies and so be it. I could be wrong but I think the intent for GW was a PVE deal where you would have to use a different type of squad than the Arena. IMHO it was more strategic before. They should bring back retreat or at the very least switch the name from Retreat to Restart.

Agreed. The new gw is a tedious, repetitive, boring, monotonous exercise requiring players to constantly iterate the same match with different positioning, targetting and units in order to get a favourable match-up with the Ai. Not doing so results in your squad not sustaining as well and as long as they should, which pretty much ends your gw run.

I dislike the need for a suicide kamikazi squad (even though I use it for gw completion). Not only is it counter-intuitive to the development of a team for squad arena(by diverting gold/shipments/war tokens to develop suicide squads), it also leaves a bad taste in the mouth knowing that everyday you have to send at least a team to their deaths.In addition, suicide squads have to be decently levelled and geared in order to tank out the aoes/dps, draw out specials,and put some dent in the enemy army(at least enough for your main squad to one shot) which takes ALOT of resources from gearing my main team in squad arena.

However, I'm going to disagree with the most of your points in the second paragraph. Bringing the old retreat back while eliminating force-close? I'm all in favour of having the old retreat back but removing force-close is just plain ridiculous.

-speed teams(e.g qgj-led teams)/poe dps teams (with/without poggle) will start before you, killing at least 2 units before you even have a chance of even pressing the retreat button.Sometimes you meet these teams midway into gw, fully purple and decently levelled.

-Ai has improved considerably. Sometimes they focus fire one of your important units like lumi/jc/bariss/dps/tanks which will cut short your gw run

-Increased AI proc rate resulting in dooku hitting 3-4 times right off the bat, stunning key units and preventing you from killing their dps in time,while their dps mops up after dooku.

-Daka multi-stunning key targets

-In high level battles where the first two turns determine everything, sometimes a dodge by the enemy from a dps unit will result in a loss rather than full-clear with most of your squad in green.Without a reset button to ramdomize the seed, gw becomes unplayable
  • Options
    Mezmo wrote: »

I'm not going to say they have gotten it right (they haven't, by a long shot). Nor will I say that they will get it right (although they are clearly working to improve -- after all, this thread was itself created by EA to seek input).

But I do think everyone should take a moment to recognize that they are vastly more engaged and responsive than any other mobile game development team that I have encountered. Moreover, a major update is coming soon, and I understand they will be releasing an 11-page change log today.

Let's not forget, this entire endeavor is based on a business model (yes, business) which seeks to exploit people's frustration and impatience in order to extract money. Full stop. The rest is just window dressing.

Now, to be successful, the developers have to do so while still providing an entertaining experience. But that can be a very fine line to walk. I think it is very clear that the recent change to GW -- particularly the matching imbalances -- have significantly crossed that line into the nakedly exploitative, thereby entering the territory where the game is hemorrhaging good will, entertainment value, and likely vectoring to impact the bottom line. I think this is pretty obvious to everyone (well, to the exclusion of a certain breed of smug, condescending clowns exhibiting a complete lack of empathy and sociopathic tendencies that always crawl out from under their rocks for this sort of discussion. But we can safely ignore them, because they have nothing useful to add.) But I think that message is coming across loud and clear. It certainly should be.

Thus, while I recognize the futility of advocating patience and context on the internet -- let alone in the context of a game openly based on creating and then exploiting frustration and impatience -- it never hurts to take a step back and remind ourselves. And, at the end of the day, if anyone finds themselves getting so wound up by the nature of this that the impatience outweighs the entertainment and you think you should quit -- you really, really probably should. It is the only way to "win," after all. Just my two cents. (And yes, I am frustrated too.)

My patience ran out with their total silence on the issue. They ruined a lot of things I paid top dollar for. But GW change made this nothing but a rng grind fest. Booooooorrrrrriiiiinnnng. I don't pay for dull.
  • Options
    good, starting to see lvl 70 teams from the third battle. This has become close to unplayable
  • Options
    Galactic war has been a cake walk for me lately. Not using my bench and today didnt use the retreat function.
  • Options
    I'm currently at lvl 66 with 1 toon at 63, 6 at 62 and rest 56 downwards and I managed full GW 3 wins in a row but today a total wipe out on node 8. It all seems so random at times as I faced 3 teams 3-8 levels lower at the start then same level followed by 64, 65, 67 and finally a 68. The 68 was 6* gear 7 Phas, 7* gear 8 Sid, 6* gear 8 Kylo, 7* gear 8 Lumi and 6* gear 8 Daka.

Hopefully just a curve ball to stop my head from swelling too much! Maybe tomorrow I'll get further again.
    Ally Code: 753-789-771
  • Options
    kepi0809 wrote: »

I'm always joking, I was showing an example of how easy some people can get through GW to give some perspective. Pretty sure he's actually top 50 in arena and there is no need to geif on him.

I am also top 50 in arena and have a simular run with GW.

Just speculation but I don't think top 5 toons and Arena rank is the be all and end all to GW matching.

My thoughts

How long have you been playing and are you staying ahead of the curve over time.

I've been playing for 36 days, lvl 61, I'm completely FTP, always do all the dailies and challenges and I've finished the last 21 GW and sat in top 200 in arena for the most part but in the last week ive been 40-100.

Up until yesterday I was soley working on my top 6 toons

Sid 7* gear 8
    Phasma 5* gear 7
    Lumi 6* gear 7
    JC 5* gear 7
    Dooku 4* gear 7
    Daka 4* gear 6

Apart from that I only have a couple 3 and 2 stars that came free or from bronzium, does my total roster count in matching, quite possibly.

I've just started trying to fill out the other 3 Jedi slots for the upcoming challenge so I will see if GW changes appreciably after I have a larger roster.

As an Android user I got Phasma free, iOS got Poe(iOS should really be the darkside). I think the servers are possibly separate, a possible reason I don't see many Poes.

There were free FOTP shards for log in rewards the month prior to me starting, this is also a likely reason I don't see many FOTP.

Taking these factors into consideration I think there is different Metas that evolve differently mostly depending on when you started playing and possibly what OS you are using.

I think really though the most important thing is to make sure you don't spread your resources too thin.

It would actually be interesting for others to give a break down of their evolution and experience so far to get a better handle on the metrics effecting GW.

GW pulls teams from more servers than just yours. I know because the teams I'm frequently up against are better than the best teams on my server. I can still beat it almost every day due to having a deep bench, plenty of kamikaze troops, and a fair bit in between. That, and my A Team for GW is Lumi (lead) JC, Sid, Dooku, and Kylo, with all but Dooku at 7*, gear level 8,etc.

The lack of challenge you're seeing is more to do with the fact that your top 5 isn't straight 7* characters, so you are getting matched a bit more conservatively than you otherwise would be. If you continue to only level up a select few, it'll slowly get harder and harder for you to complete it every day, until you finally get to the point where nothing you do will let you complete it fully.

When I first unlocked GW, I couldn't complete it at all. Every team after the first 4 or so were all 5-7*, 5+ levels ahead of me. Once I discovered force close thanks to these forums, I didn't lose a match again. The ability to do things like save scum and re-start battles after killing leaders to remove their leader bonuses, things like that, made the game mode a cake walk. Well, until the retreat re-work, that is. I'd simply gained (and used) too many resources to not be pushed into a higher "tax bracket", as it were. From there on out, it was pure 7* murder machine teams after the 5th-ish round. This is about when I started using Lumi as leader instead of just a supplemental healer, and stopped using Daka in the early rounds, since she can't take even light hits well at all. My early-GW sustainability became very good, to the point where I didn't start actually using most heals, or most offensive cooldowns, until the middle rounds, yet still kept my A-Team almost fully topped off. JC is a bro for that.

Anyway, that's my GW experience over time. I'll beat it almost every day, even if I have to save-scum for an hour or two. I really hate how tedious it's become, but I'm not going to let out too much vitriol about it.

Also it's "affecting".
  • Options
    My squad is stacked and gw is completely unplayable right now my pvp rank is always in the top 20 and I'm getting completely steam rolled. This is just dumb!? My power for my top 5 guys is over 23000. I'm facing full 7 star squads hitting me for over 6000 a piece at the beginning of the gw
  • Options
    Okay, so I'm not a super high level and have only been playing the game for a few weeks. But I find it very frustrating that whenever I try to embark on a galactic war it's nearly impossible for me to complete. I'm only level 45 at the moment and when I'm facing level 50 teams with 5 star characters only halfway through the war it is literally impossible for me to beat more than one of those teams (which I can only accomplish from sacrificing my weaker characters). I get that the point of the game mode is to be challenging, but I would also expect it to be fun, and possible, and it's neither. Please make the matchmaking system something that works for everyone.
  • Options
    I want the refresh thing to be put back to green crystals. I have 370 greens that I can't do anything with anymore. Kinda unhappy about that
This discussion has been closed.