Character reveal Megathread

Replies

• Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options
    Boreas wrote: »
    And now he is in the game not because of EU but because of Kids' cartoon, I guess it's too hard for some to get it.
    If he's in the game because he's in the cartoon, and he's in the cartoon because of his popularity in the EU, then ergo he's in the game because of his popularity in the EU.

Yeah, that was difficult.
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • Me2
    123 posts Member
    Options
    Me2 wrote: »
    So it's another one from the kids cartoon?

Meh.

In kids cartoon because he was already popular.. not the other way round.

It's not hard people! :)

And now he is in the game not because of EU but because of Kids' cartoon, I guess it's too hard for some to get it.

Only in rebels due to popularity from EU and now he's only in game as a fan favorite from his brief appearance in said cartoon and nothing to do with EU?

Interesting opinion and i'm happy to admit i don't get the point you state above.. maybe you can elighten me to what you mean?
  • Lossberg
    457 posts Member
    Options
    Oh, does it really matter why he appeared in cartoons and now will appear in the game? This discussion is not worth hundreds of posts
  • Options
    Uh, Thrawn is from 1991. Books, you can read them, old people used to go places called libraries.
    wmo3yo.jpg
  • Revi
    573 posts Member
    Options
    Its Pod Racing Annie, Shmi Skylwayer, (Uncle) Owen Lars, (Aunt) Beru Lars, Cliegg Lars, Jabba, Watto, Sebulba, Baby Rancor, Baby Bantha with Tatooine Mega Bundle in the store.
  • Boreas
    508 posts Member
    Options

Meh.

Only in rebels due to popularity from EU and now he's only in game as a fan favorite from his brief appearance in said cartoon and nothing to do with EU?

Interesting opinion and i'm happy to admit i don't get the point you state above.. maybe you can elighten me to what you mean?

You're not getting the character from the books, you're getting the character from the Kids Show.
  • Daemoe
    40 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Meh.

You're not getting the character from the books, you're getting the character from the Kids Show.
    We're getting the same character. Timothy Zahn's Thrawn is out since 1 month now, you can read it. Its quite a pleasure to see Thrawn again. And his origins are quite the same as the previous in the EU. I loved the original Thrawn trilogy (not the ysalamiri thing, though).

Thrawn helped Star Wars in the nineties, and he is one of the best characters ever.

• Options
    I just don't get why you'd add these insignificant characters that no one's heard of, when there's still loads from the films that haven't been added.

One of the most useful toons is Han dressed as a Stormtrooper! So there's plenty to go at. Lando dressed as a guard, Luke in Hoff gear, General Leia, the actual young Obi Wan, Padme, hell I'd take a cantina band synergy team!
  • Options
    A short search on Wookiepedia is enough to see why he is indeed a fan favourite. Besides the 4 books and the rebels show he appeared or was mentioned in dozens of other sources (Books, Comics and Games). The canon version of him also appears in Force Arena and is mentioned in the book Aftermath.
  • Seltgar
    217 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    What did Jango ever do?.
    Slightly more than Krennic.

Anyway, I think the problem was word choice. When they said "Fan Favorite" they were mistakenly thinking in terms of fans of many things--people who like what they like. But nerds on the internet are a different breed of fan, more solipsistic. So when you say "Fan Favorite" they read it as "Your Favorite," and if the character happens to be anyone other than their favorite character, they get mad because "WHAT FAN LIKES THAT CHARACTER?!"

The moral of the story is that there are more fans with more opinions than yours. So what qualifies as a fan favorite doesn't necessarily mean it's the dude--and it's always a dude in this scenario--you want it to be.

Sure but there are a plethora of characters to choose from. Think about all the popular videogames or even from the movies themselves! Instead we get a character that is known for being in a book series the majority of star wars fan probably didn't read. Announcing it being a fan favorite is baffling considering all the more well known and more liked characters.

Thrawn is only matched by characters in the likes of Revan or Darth Bane.

With all due respect to your opinion, Thrawn is no match for neither Revan, nor Darth Bane. He remaines as a secondary character compared to those two (as of SW lore).

I won't deny that I'm disappointed with the choice of the new character, I'd like to see Revan for sure, or Galen Marek, still I'm ok with it, if he makes an Empire team viable. What I dislike about it is he is not selected as fan favorite because of his place in EU, but Disney's Rebels.

I am sorry but I must respectfully disagree with you. Thrawn is more well known and a much better character than darth bane. Revan would have been acceptable as he also has a huge following. When you go to celebration you hear Thrawn and Revan mentioned all the time. I had to look up Darth bane. Jango also would have been great as a fan favorite. Wicket as well. Some of us older fans still like wicket. My point is Thrawn is a fan favorite maybe just not the person you wanted.
  • Seltgar
    217 posts Member
    Options
    Pyrefly wrote: »
    Let me make it clear, I never denied his place in EU, but it's apparent that his recent popularity is from Rebels kid show, anyone is free to deny it of course.
    Causality is reversed there. His existence in SW:R is due to his immense, lasting popularity with many long-time SW fans.

This.
  • Options
    well, in my guild alliance Discord chat we've pulled the light and colour setting of the pop-up to max, and what we get is almost identical to Thrawn. See AhnaldT101's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VovF4_HF8I
  • Ouchie
    1233 posts Member
    Options
    Boy are you late to the party.
  • Options
    Did you miss the hundreds of other posts already discussing this, or the dozens of other people who already played with the brightness of the popup?
  • Options
    What are you gonna do if Thrawn is indeed a meta-changer ? Would you take out your credit card for him? Desert your beloved Chaze for the evil empire? Would you remain loyal while loosing rank? Or would you stop playing the game if rebels would loose their place in the pecking order?
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options
    I just don't get why you'd add these insignificant characters that no one's heard of, when there's still loads from the films that haven't been added.

One of the most useful toons is Han dressed as a Stormtrooper! So there's plenty to go at. Lando dressed as a guard, Luke in Hoff gear, General Leia, the actual young Obi Wan, Padme, hell I'd take a cantina band synergy team!
    You say that no one's heard of Thrawn, then you call Hoth "Hoff"...

I think we just found out where your credibility on Star Wars fandom is.
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • Morpheus
    279 posts Member
    Options
    Thrawn will have rebel synergies
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    What are you gonna do if Thrawn is indeed a meta-changer ? Would you take out your credit card for him? Desert your beloved Chaze for the evil empire? Would you remain loyal while loosing rank? Or would you stop playing the game if rebels would loose their place in the pecking order?

don't have chaze, but would drop everyone from my current line-up if thrawn is a meta-changer though. Won't pay for him though, but that's only because i'm f2p.
    I'm not getting my hopes up just yet, chances are it's just another "not great enough" character.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options

I would wait and see. If Thrawn INDEED is gonna replace triple cleanse yes, otherwise no. Seems highly unlikely, since Thrawn most likely will just be a high-damage character who cleanses Empire (IMO). They won't make him a one-man version of Chaze. Heck, Chaze is TWO people...
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

don't have chaze, but would drop everyone from my current line-up if thrawn is a meta-changer though. Won't pay for him though, but that's only because i'm f2p.
    I'm not getting my hopes up just yet, chances are it's just another "not great enough" character.

well do you consider ATF as meta-changer or "not-great-enough"? She's an absolute monster on offense, but defensively she is terrible...
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

well do you consider ATF as meta-changer or "not-great-enough"? She's an absolute monster on offense, but defensively she is terrible...

not a meta-changer, definetely not at 3 stars. She isn't going to help me hold rank and i don't need her to beat anyone on offence.
  • Options

I wouldn't doubt for a second that you'll make the changes if this is the case. From what I've seen this toons are just the tools that allow you to reach World ( shard) domination, ready to be discarded as soon as something better arrives, with no regard to their tags or affiliations. And I don't say this as a critique to be clear, just an observation, there are many just as you.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

I wouldn't doubt for a second that you'll make the changes if this is the case. From what I've seen this toons are just the tools that allow you to reach World ( shard) domination, ready to be discarded as soon as something better arrives, with no regard to their tags or affiliations. And I don't say this as a critique to be clear, just an observation, there are many just as you.

true. current arena line-up consist out of 1 jedi, 1 rebel, 1 sith, 1 clone and 1 FO member. ;)
    I use my full faction teams for GW though, wich i enjoy more than arena.
  • Options

not a meta-changer, definetely not at 3 stars. She isn't going to help me hold rank and i don't need her to beat anyone on offence.

I guess so, but at 7* she COULD hypothetically replace K-2SO in a R1 squad if there's a zJyn + zCassian. Owing to zCassian her first Meditation would give her Retribution, Foresight, Defense Up, Potency Up, Tenacity Up, Heal Over Time, Protection Up and Advantage if Jyn is faster. 8 x 9k is 72k, which more or less fits the bill for "OHKO". Then again this is a triple zeta squad, so i don't know...
  • Daemoe
    40 posts Member
    Options
    Pyrefly wrote: »
    You say that no one's heard of Thrawn, then you call Hoth "Hoff"...

I think we just found out where your credibility on Star Wars fandom is.
    CYiR-2sWMAA_MTV.jpg

• NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Sure but there are a plethora of characters to choose from. Think about all the popular videogames or even from the movies themselves! Instead we get a character that is known for being in a book series the majority of star wars fan probably didn't read. Announcing it being a fan favorite is baffling considering all the more well known and more liked characters.
    Speculation.

Because YOU'VE never heard of it doesn't mean fans haven't heard of it.

Meh.
    No.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Brutha
    26 posts Member
    Options
    I remember thats Thrawn was in the Videogame "Tie Fighter". He is an ikonic Charakter in Star Wars. Books, Games, Comics ect.
  • Me2
    123 posts Member
    Options

Meh.

They are pretty much the same guy.. since the cartoon thrawn is based on the book thrawn.

Not sure how that would make a difference while playing, all the characters in this game look quite cartoonish anyway?
  • Options

Absolutely plan to acquire - though I'm smashing Chaze now with Tarkin. Tarkin's rework gets banged a lot, but I'd put him as elite in this game. He's allowing me to crush Chaze / GK / R2 + wedge + DN comps, he's a beast in Rancor, ... and I think after long we will see (starting to see in P2) that he's great there as well. The ability to put O down and remove a lot of TM and build up damage screams he can make a p3 squad HAAT strong.

But back to Thrawn - yes, very excited...but at the same time I hope he doesn't work best WITH chaze and it's actually turned against Empire / DS like DN.
  • Boreas
    508 posts Member
    Options

Meh.

They are pretty much the same guy.. since the cartoon thrawn is based on the book thrawn.

Not sure how that would make a difference while playing, all the characters in this game look quite cartoonish anyway?

You asked my point and I explained, I did not ask for yours, Cheers and have fun with your cartoon...
This discussion has been closed.