Character reveal Megathread

Replies

• kalidor
    2124 posts Member
    Options
    If there's one thing this thread has taught me, it's that there are a lot more Jango fans that I'd previously thought (especially since he appears in arguably the worst SW movie, tossup between 1&2).
    While I'm glad to see thrawn, I'd love to see Jango added soon as well. Bounty hunters are in dire need of decent heroes.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    What are you gonna do if Thrawn is indeed a meta-changer ? Would you take out your credit card for him? Desert your beloved Chaze for the evil empire? Would you remain loyal while loosing rank? Or would you stop playing the game if rebels would loose their place in the pecking order?

Absolutely plan to acquire - though I'm smashing Chaze now with Tarkin. Tarkin's rework gets banged a lot, but I'd put him as elite in this game. He's allowing me to crush Chaze / GK / R2 + wedge + DN comps, he's a beast in Rancor, ... and I think after long we will see (starting to see in P2) that he's great there as well. The ability to put O down and remove a lot of TM and build up damage screams he can make a p3 squad HAAT strong.

But back to Thrawn - yes, very excited...but at the same time I hope he doesn't work best WITH chaze and it's actually turned against Empire / DS like DN.

@JohnnySteelAIpha What team comps are you running with Tarkin to "crush" Chaze/GK/R2 teams? Mine is sitting at G10 and well modded, but I held off taking him to g11, as it didn't seem worth it.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    There is a nasty rumour circulating that Thrawn can only be acquired by using the Phoenix characters...I hope this isn't true!

Anyway, my feeling on this is that he'll be the "anti-Chaze". How, I do not know, presumably preventing Cleanse or some such by way of a new debuff. My wallet has just taken a beating from Fulcrum though, so I'll "wait and see"...

PS FWIW Thrawn is not a new character at all in the SW universe - he's been knocking around for at least 25 years that I know of (I first encountered him in TIE Fighter in the early 90s).
  • Jedi_Reach_
    1337 posts Member
    Options
    Please make Thrawn anti-Chaze.
  • Tatebomb
    797 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    What are you gonna do if Thrawn is indeed a meta-changer ? Would you take out your credit card for him? Desert your beloved Chaze for the evil empire? Would you remain loyal while loosing rank? Or would you stop playing the game if rebels would loose their place in the pecking order?

don't have chaze, but would drop everyone from my current line-up if thrawn is a meta-changer though. Won't pay for him though, but that's only because i'm f2p.
    I'm not getting my hopes up just yet, chances are it's just another "not great enough" character.

well do you consider ATF as meta-changer or "not-great-enough"? She's an absolute monster on offense, but defensively she is terrible...

not a meta-changer, definetely not at 3 stars. She isn't going to help me hold rank and i don't need her to beat anyone on offence.

Couldn't agree more and tbh this is the problem with these new characters coming out. They are fine on offense but since they don't help me hold rank what's the point?
  • Revi
    573 posts Member
    Options
    Hope its not Thrawn or Jango, they are both insignificant & boring toons. We need Shmi Skywalker and Yaddle as well as the mighty Bombad General Jar Jar with Boss Nass & Roos Tarpals
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Absolutely plan to acquire - though I'm smashing Chaze now with Tarkin. Tarkin's rework gets banged a lot, but I'd put him as elite in this game. He's allowing me to crush Chaze / GK / R2 + wedge + DN comps, he's a beast in Rancor, ... and I think after long we will see (starting to see in P2) that he's great there as well. The ability to put O down and remove a lot of TM and build up damage screams he can make a p3 squad HAAT strong.

But back to Thrawn - yes, very excited...but at the same time I hope he doesn't work best WITH chaze and it's actually turned against Empire / DS like DN.

@JohnnySteelAIpha What team comps are you running with Tarkin to "crush" Chaze/GK/R2 teams? Mine is sitting at G10 and well modded, but I held off taking him to g11, as it didn't seem worth it.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/1102777/#Comment_1102777

Any DS user should probably read the whole thread honestly - it's moderately less effective vs. a Rex-led team with GK/R2/Chaze, but those generally have moved from my shard once R2 came out and people are using GK / Wedge / DN as a lead with R2 / Chaze base. There are some other tests in there from other players.

@Olddumper and @Nebulous and @Smapty have good builds as well using DK - I don't have him though at high enough stars to bother with tests. Fast SA is key (mine is 265) Probably take any further discussion to that thread.
  • Options
    What if he has a special that dispels all negative status effects on your team and dispels all positive status effects on the enemy... oh I hope so.
  • Options
    Let's talk about real problems here. Anyone else have to turn the volume up when Lars Mikkelsen (Thrawn) speaks? Drives me insane with his inaudible mumbling.... now he's in every House of Cards episode too. Then the sub woofer threatens to break walls in the next scene. *sigh* first world problems.
  • Options
    the in game pop up looked like admiral ularin... or however u spell his name =P for those who don't know who admiral ularin is, he was in the clone wars TV series and in one episode of rebels.
  • Options
    Please make Thrawn anti-Chaze.

+1
  • Options
    im so happy its thrawn ! i can keep my raid teams and won't invest in another uninteresting character.

where are the new modes tho ? or new raid ? we have enough toons already
  • Tatebomb
    797 posts Member
    Options
    capifico22 wrote: »
    Let's talk about real problems here. Anyone else have to turn the volume up when Lars Mikkelsen (Thrawn) speaks? Drives me insane with his inaudible mumbling.... now he's in every House of Cards episode too. Then the sub woofer threatens to break walls in the next scene. *sigh* first world problems.

You're my hero. I knew I recognized that voice while I was watching house of cards. Been kind of bugging me for a while now.
  • Options
    Tatebomb wrote: »
    capifico22 wrote: »

You're my hero. I knew I recognized that voice while I was watching house of cards. Been kind of bugging me for a while now.

I immediately had to turn up the volume when they called Russia, I realized my Pavlov's dog reaction was a learned behavior from Thrawn. :smile:

• Options
    Sure thrawn is in game because of a kids show, its current and popular. But isnt all star wars a "kids show"? Really, barney the dinosaur is live action so must be for adults.
    The clone wars from cartoon network and rebels on disney xd have much more to them then the trilogies, sure the tv episodes are abbreviated to fit in the time slots but so are the movies.

My point is star wars is for kids, everyone stop pretending you are too grown up to enjoy anything new and only count what you watched when you were a kid. Grow up and watch the stupid cartoons already :p
  • Options
    I was hyped that I forgot the fact he'll most likely be P2P :c
    Oh well, I guess I'll bump him up to 4* and wait a few months to farm him. By the time I get him to 7*, we'll probably have new rebels and he won't be Top Tier anymore.
    But it's Thrawn, so I don't really care. At least he will be in the game.
  • Tatebomb
    797 posts Member
    Options
    I was hyped that I forgot the fact he'll most likely be P2P :c
    Oh well, I guess I'll bump him up to 4* and wait a few months to farm him. By the time I get him to 7*, we'll probably have new rebels and he won't be Top Tier anymore.
    But it's Thrawn, so I don't really care. At least he will be in the game.

He will be p2p either because he's a marquee character and even if it's an R2 like event you'll probably need Phoenix squad at 5+ stars to unlock.
  • Options
    Hopefully we' ll also get some news on what type of event to acquire him. Who we will need to acquire him also what his kit looks like. Will he have a Capital ship or regular ship? No ship at all? Phoenix seems to make the most sense/cents but arguments can be more made for other factions as well. Could be rebels, empire, imperial trooper, even ships as well- if it's a yoda type of event.
  • Options
    Thrawn could use phoenix, which would be the biggest D kick to empire users ever, or they could require Imperial troopers, which would make sense as they have been free long enough to farm. But Thrawn is hardly a legendary level character like R2, Yoda, Palpatine etc. So it may not automatically be a Yoda Style release. It could very likely be a Marquee event or new event or new raid.
    I would expect the next Yoda like event to be lengendary along the likes of Luke, Chewie, General Leia Organa, etc.
  • Options
    Thrawn could use phoenix, which would be the biggest D kick to empire users ever, or they could require Imperial troopers, which would make sense as they have been free long enough to farm. But Thrawn is hardly a legendary level character like R2, Yoda, Palpatine etc. So it may not automatically be a Yoda Style release. It could very likely be a Marquee event or new event or new raid.
    I would expect the next Yoda like event to be lengendary along the likes of Luke, Chewie, General Leia Organa, etc.

What if he is the reward for a ship raid? They said something about a new game mode incoming, this might be it.
    I agree he shouldnt be released as Yoda, Palp and R2, he's not on their level.
  • kalidor
    2124 posts Member
    Options
    If he really is an anti-Chaze hero, hopefully he unlocks at 3* and we can at least use him in GW. Chaze is showing up in my GW enough that having several counter heroes to them is a must. Support heroes tend to be quite viable at 3-4*, and I would imagine he'd be support.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Me2
    123 posts Member
    Options
    Boreas wrote: »
    Me2 wrote: »
    So it's another one from the kids cartoon?

Meh.

In kids cartoon because he was already popular.. not the other way round.

It's not hard people! :)

And now he is in the game not because of EU but because of Kids' cartoon, I guess it's too hard for some to get it.

Only in rebels due to popularity from EU and now he's only in game as a fan favorite from his brief appearance in said cartoon and nothing to do with EU?

Interesting opinion and i'm happy to admit i don't get the point you state above.. maybe you can elighten me to what you mean?

You're not getting the character from the books, you're getting the character from the Kids Show.

They are pretty much the same guy.. since the cartoon thrawn is based on the book thrawn.

Not sure how that would make a difference while playing, all the characters in this game look quite cartoonish anyway?

You asked my point and I explained, I did not ask for yours, Cheers and have fun with your cartoon...

Charming....
  • Sloa
    25 posts Member
    Options
    BryantBub wrote: »
    Here's a fun idea:

My 2 yo daughter loves this game only because she can select her favorite star wars characters and rotate them in the character screen. It's fun enough for her, but wouldn't it be nice to see those detailed character models actually do something? How about having them display their attacks/abilities in a standstill animation whenever you tap them?

i'd be willing to sacrifice a little more phone disk space for this ... don't see how it needs a server connection or would otherwise slow down the game.

What does everyone here think?
    BryantBub wrote: »
    Here's a fun idea:

My 2 yo daughter loves this game only because she can select her favorite star wars characters and rotate them in the character screen. It's fun enough for her, but wouldn't it be nice to see those detailed character models actually do something? How about having them display their attacks/abilities in a standstill animation whenever you tap them?

i'd be willing to sacrifice a little more phone disk space for this ... don't see how it needs a server connection or would otherwise slow down the game.

What does everyone here think?

I like this idea, also the ability to zoom in on faces would be nice

• NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    There is no rumor about Phienix Squad. Some hater said it sarcastically. Ignore it.
    My point is star wars is for kids, everyone stop pretending you are too grown up to enjoy anything new and only count what you watched when you were a kid
    Finally someone else who gets it... Thank you!
    So it's another one from the kids cartoon?

Meh.

In kids cartoon because he was already popular.. not the other way round.

It's not hard people! :)

And now he is in the game not because of EU but because of Kids' cartoon, I guess it's too hard for some to get it.

Only in rebels due to popularity from EU and now he's only in game as a fan favorite from his brief appearance in said cartoon and nothing to do with EU?

Interesting opinion and i'm happy to admit i don't get the point you state above.. maybe you can elighten me to what you mean?

You're not getting the character from the books, you're getting the character from the Kids Show.

They are pretty much the same guy.. since the cartoon thrawn is based on the book thrawn.

Not sure how that would make a difference while playing, all the characters in this game look quite cartoonish anyway?
    Cheers and have fun with your cartoon...
    ...Hey. Go to hell.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Why are people still griping about a Toon from Rebels because it's a cartoon?

Thus far, we have almost 1 in 5 Toons from Clone Wars and Rebels. In terms of hours on-screen the cartoons outlasts the movies.

Clone Wars = 2760 min = 46 hours (5.5 seasons + the movie, but does not include Clone Wars 1.0)
    Rebels = 1298 min = 21.63 hours (3 seasons)
    Ep 1 to 7 + RO = 1065 min = 17.75 hours (did you want to add the Holiday Special and 2 Ewok movies to this?)

Freemaker Adventures = 286 min = 4.76 hours (1 season, but no Toons yet)

We also got video game characters, but how do you judge video gaming time?

Where am I going with this? I'm not sure. Just want to throw people for a loop.
    When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.
  • Options
    A short search on Wookiepedia is enough to see why he is indeed a fan favourite. Besides the 4 books and the rebels show he appeared or was mentioned in dozens of other sources (Books, Comics and Games). The canon version of him also appears in Force Arena and is mentioned in the book Aftermath.

Hes in 5 books.

Outbound Flight
    Thrawn
    Hier to the Empire
    Dark Force Rising.
    The Last Command

Survivors Quest is also tied to Outbound Flight but takes place after the Thrawn Trilogy
  • Options
    the in game pop up looked like admiral ularin... or however u spell his name =P for those who don't know who admiral ularin is, he was in the clone wars TV series and in one episode of rebels.

Hes actually on the Death Star in A New Hope as his first appearance.

Also featured heavily in the new Thrawn Book
  • Ansroff
    283 posts Member
    Options
    Oh my god, I am shocked!!!

Not.

Pretty much anyone who follows the Canon part of Star Wars knew it was going to be him. I don't even know why people went as far as suggesting Jango??

Hahaha, not...oh I miss the 90's.
  • Options
    Who's Thrawn?
    Is he from the computer games or the cartoons?

@nevertellmetheodds , et. al.
    Grand Admiral Thrawn was introduced by author Timothy Zahn in the Heir to the Empire trilogy of novels. Fans loved the character. A brilliant tactician commanding the ISD Chimera, he was relegated to the galactic outer rim mainly due to prejudice against alien races commanding star destroyers. After the Battle of Endor, he takes over the Imperial fleet and mounts an offensive against the New Republic using a new army of clones and very nearly succeeds.
    AdmiralAlienAndCaptainMustache.jpg

Due to his popularity, Vice Admiral Thrawn then reappeared in the Lucasarts video game TIE Fighter, where he was tasked with eliminating the insurgent threat of Admiral Zaarin and those loyal to him. Fans rejoiced to have more Thrawn material to expand his character, and to be honored to serve in his fleet.
    2696552-admiral-thrawn-tie-fighter.jpg

After that, he made appearances in other novels as well as comics. Then he was reintroduced to a whole new generation of Star Wars fans in the animated series, Star Wars Rebels, officially canonizing his existence, although the previous material has not been blessed by Disney.
    0.jpg

But the new novel Thrawn is canon, and is fairly faithful to Zahn's established story in his earlier novels. And it is an excellent read, even if it does not include Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, Lando, or any of our other SW characters we are familiar with.
    9cf9e05cb67d2ddfee1ee2181e98934b.jpg

And now, he is making another appearance in a video game that you are lucky enough to be a part of. Do yourself a favor and look into this character.

Nerd out.
  • Metroplex79
    837 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.
This discussion has been closed.