State of the Galaxy 8/11/2017 [Mega]

Replies

  • JaggedJ
    1277 posts Member
    slugbahr wrote: »
    JaggedJ wrote: »
    If their goal was to inform people exactly of what to do then yes it's poor communication.

    Somehow I don't think that was the plan though.

    No, I didn't either. And it probably never will be.
    But a lot of people in here think that they are doing a great job of communicating.
    They're not.

    I can see both sides. On one side they spring events/qualifications onto people with short lead in times to make a quick buck.

    On the other side if they announce the qualifications too far out then everyone has ample time, nobody needs to buy anything and the game dies.

    So they probably communicate as much as they can without breaking whatever business model they have which some would consider good communication, especially compared to other games. But it still leaves a lot of people out in the cold which is always going to look like poor communication to them.

    It would be a very tough balancing act between keeping the game profitable, fun, and the players somewhat informed and the ideal spot in each doesn't always line up. Some events they may get it wrong or right but often they won't know until afterwards.

    So while from the player POV only it can certainly look like poor communication at times, there are other factors that they have to consider that we don't.
  • RoninGSX
    16 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Man, I see people on both ends of the spectrum, and as a guild leader I get it. I want my guys to get CLS just as much as the next person. But to be angry because of "poor communication" from EA and not telling you the exact characters to farm is just asinine. I don't ever recall reading anything where they said to watch for specific characters. I do remember them saying watch for clues. If they told you the toons you'd need a month ago, everyone would have CLS. And at that point they should have just put him in your inbox.

    The whole point of the game is to expand your collection and constantly improve. Yes, people chase the meta in hope of being on top, but there are other aspects to the game. A game thrives because people pay money for more content, so why wouldn't they want to make you spend money?

    I don't think the requirements are far fetched. Yes, they may be hard to obtain for some people. You can't please 100% of the people...100% of the time. That'd be bad for business. If you didn't get him this time round, keep your head up, farm the toons required, and wait for him to come back! It's not the end of the game just because you didn't get him. And yes, I'm f2p since Nov 2015. And I still had to farm Ben.
    Guild Leader - That's n0 Moon
  • People who enjoy the new format and are happy with it. I'm glad you enjoy it. I wish the game all the success. I preferred the old format and hope, for the games sake, more people did than not. I still think the game is excellent and would love to see it succeed but it's moving more towards "something that's just not for me" Hoping they come out with another MMO for PC or PS4 soon so I can get involved with that.
  • cevans7
    52 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Don't really care if I sound like I'm whining or not. I just seriously can't open the game anymore without feeling disgusted. I thought I was past this and I feel more disappointed now than when I missed the first Yoda. It's sad because I seriously loved this game more than my PS4 games. Sorry if you think I'm being unreasonable but tired of feeling like a failure in this game. Other things just fueling it like spending 3 entire refreshes on a node and not getting 1 single shard or salvage I'm farming. So I buy them and I'm still always behind the curve. Yeah, I probably suck at the game but it's enough to kill my interest in it now. I may just finish ST. Han and quit until CL comes back time will tell but I just can't right now.


    This is why they shouldn't give kids participation trophies for losing.
  • slugbahr wrote: »
    But a lot of people in here think that they are doing a great job of communicating.
    They're not.

    This communication thing is interesting because it only looks at it from one perspective (how come they didn't tell me X, Y, Z?) I never see any complainer (just shorthand, can't think of another word, I'm not knocking you) looking at from another perspective.

    1.) We've officially known about Luke's Hero Journey since May when they dumped Luke shards and gear in our laps. This means they have had June, July and a small part of August to communicate to players about what's going on. They told players in July more about the Hero Journey. They told players in August a little more. What they told us doesn't matter for my argument here, I'm establishing that they've never gone under total radio silence. We've never heard from EA: Oh gosh, players, we've wanted to tell you something for three weeks but the building burned down and we had to move and we've just been trying to get everything back in order, sorry! No. We've never heard anything like that. They could tell us anything at any time.

    2.) We were told this would be a unique event in how it's released. Wondering why unlocking Commander Luke wasn't the same as it was when we unlocked, say, Yoda, for example, doesn't apply. Nothing in the past applies.

    So if they could tell us anything whenever they wanted, and because they told us this character release would be like no past big release, why is anyone blaming EA for poor communication? That implies not just that it could have been better - it's obvious it could have been, they could have told us something every day for more than two months - but that it should have been better.

    The only reasons I'm seeing why it should have been better are: because I want Luke. Guess what? EA didn't agree that everyone who wanted Commander Luke was going to get Commander Luke. If they come back down the road and said: look, we're changing the next Luke (or next big character release) because we heard people criticizing the Commander Luke release, then you will be proven correct. But in the State of The Galaxy here, they say they've gotten "overwhelming positive response and feedback" - is that actually not true?

    Right now, with the evidence I see, I'm going with Occam's Razor: they obviously did not want hoards of players with Commander Luke. We can speculate why that was, but it still doesn't change the fact that they could have easily made such a thing happen and didn't.

    Lies, deception!
  • Darth_Firia
    5 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    please give us gears on legendary event replays :D

    also about the Hero's journey requirement, how do some of you guys didn't see it coming ? i'd say the hints were pretty clear
  • For those who sit on their high horse and claim to be superior to the rest of us because you followed the hints/ clues -well done!

    What clues are you referring to? The comment about 'friends' etc
    How did you know what version of Luke we were getting?

    What if you needed hoth rebel solider; hoth rebel scout; snowtrooper; stormtrooper and Darth Vader!

    All possible choices for seven star CLS!

    Oh right you happened to have an episode 4 poster on your wall did you! Wow what a pack of geniuses you are.

    Yes we all knew that a Luke was coming. And we had plenty of notice. But what we didn't know were the details. Including the fact that we needed two garbage toons to complete it!

    If there are a lot of people upset about this then that is a fact. We are upset!

    You probably picked that we would need 5 phoenix characters for Thrawn as well!

    And you pick the lotto numbers correct each week!

    I bow down to you all!
  • slugbahr wrote: »
    There are a lot of people disappointed about how this event has been introduced. So gloating in the face of someone who feels cheated out of an iconic character is just pathetic! There are plenty of players who have been playing for well over a year that didn't have old Ben or one of the other characters. Its not that they are 'dumb', its because they have put their resources into useful toons and gear. Some players picked that they would need Old Ben, STH etc and others thought that it was just Farmboy Luke or even ewoks. Just because someone else made a different call it doesn't mean people should rub their noses in it. EA wants to make money I get it -but the way they go about communicating what will be needed for specific events is really poor. Even though I should get CLS before the event finishes it doesn't make me want to celebrate the poor communication of EA and the insufferable gloating and put downs from players who have CLS unlocked.

    CG communication was not poor. F2p should never expect to obtain a wait-for-it... legendary toon just because they played a year. The game is not a charity.

    Giving hints and posting gifs when asked for concrete info is not good communication.
    Telling us exactly which toons would be needed, and by when, and for how long, would be good communication.
    Their need to make money by the methods they've chosen does not mean the definition of poor communication is changed to fit within that context.

    Not every f2p missed out on Luke. Not every non-f2p obtained him. So that is a meaningless comment.

    If CG told us everything as you propose, there would be no need for making hard choices with limited resources. Asking for that is just wrong-headed.

    Currently, there is an avenue to obtain all the necessary shards to obtain CL. Take a look in the shard shop.

    This was an awesome event. So the whiners need to stop and let everyone enjoy the moment of a huge success story.

    Where do you get your carrots from?
  • Daggerofmortis
    146 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    And why not allow tier 3 to be completed by the minimum requirements? I leveled St Han up to 85 and gear 9 with mk5 mods but he still couldn't survive p1 of tier 3 at 5* I would've been extremely satisfied being able to experience the Old Ben scene through gameplay. Being that St Han was the only less than 7* toon, I would've been able to experience that had the 5* requirement actually been sufficient to progress through the stage that required 5* toons.
  • Livenam
    17 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    ArkhamJay wrote: »
    Xetal wrote: »
    It was a botched launch to a really well designed event.

    You have generated a lot of ill will with vague "hints" that lead people to farm the wrong characters. It is disappointing that you took something that should have been fun and profitable and turned it into something negative (but still profitable).

    And this is coming from someone who will have CLS before the end of the event. I'd probably be mad if I went through this communications and planning disaster with nothing to show for it.

    AMEN

    Well said mate. There are some paid trouble shooters ( or currying favours now or in the future ) here who are trying to limit the damage. And they are calling people who express their grievances as whiners. Shame on them and shame on such paid staff and their tactics. And the moderater doesn't do anything about such name calling. What a double standard.
    Post edited by Livenam on
  • Nothing wrong with the event or communication. Most of yall pay and are mad because you didn't get your candy. Be smart about who you farm and you have to be lucky too. I didn't get thrawn, I didn't cry.

    Grow up.
  • Nothing wrong with the event or communication. Most of yall pay and are mad because you didn't get your candy. Be smart about who you farm and you have to be lucky too. I didn't get thrawn, I didn't cry.

    Grow up.

    I disagree with you! Poor communication all the way and plenty of players feel the same way. I will probably get my candy in a few days. Thing is, I would share mine if I could where you would eat all of yours and tell everyone else how tasty is was. Most decent people like to see others succeed. Most jerks like to tell people how useless they are when they fail.
  • Pyrefly
    1244 posts Moderator
    Yes we all knew that a Luke was coming. And we had plenty of notice. But what we didn't know were the details. Including the fact that we needed two garbage toons to complete it!
    Leaving aside the fact that you're scoffing at hints that were obvious to a large number of us on these forums, your statement here is just ridiculous. I'm trying to figure out just what kind of "special" logic it takes to look at the term "Luke's hero's journey" and come up any kind of permutation that doesn't start with Old Ben. Even if you ignored the hints and decided that it could include any character from any of the OT, how could you have Luke's journey without Old Ben?
    And yet you said "two garbage toons". I'm assuming that the second one refers to Luke, which is even more preposterous. Like I said, I can't think of any journey that doesn't include Old Ben, but that quite obviously goes double for Luke. How do you expect to have Luke's journey without Luke? Especially considering they gave us shards for him, as well as a flash event with the stated purpose of gearing him up?
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • Omeah
    917 posts Member
    Bobby777 wrote: »
    slugbahr wrote: »
    But a lot of people in here think that they are doing a great job of communicating.
    They're not.

    This communication thing is interesting because it only looks at it from one perspective (how come they didn't tell me X, Y, Z?) I never see any complainer (just shorthand, can't think of another word, I'm not knocking you) looking at from another perspective.

    1.) We've officially known about Luke's Hero Journey since May when they dumped Luke shards and gear in our laps. This means they have had June, July and a small part of August to communicate to players about what's going on. They told players in July more about the Hero Journey. They told players in August a little more. What they told us doesn't matter for my argument here, I'm establishing that they've never gone under total radio silence. We've never heard from EA: Oh gosh, players, we've wanted to tell you something for three weeks but the building burned down and we had to move and we've just been trying to get everything back in order, sorry! No. We've never heard anything like that. They could tell us anything at any time.

    2.) We were told this would be a unique event in how it's released. Wondering why unlocking Commander Luke wasn't the same as it was when we unlocked, say, Yoda, for example, doesn't apply. Nothing in the past applies.

    So if they could tell us anything whenever they wanted, and because they told us this character release would be like no past big release, why is anyone blaming EA for poor communication? That implies not just that it could have been better - it's obvious it could have been, they could have told us something every day for more than two months - but that it should have been better.

    The only reasons I'm seeing why it should have been better are: because I want Luke. Guess what? EA didn't agree that everyone who wanted Commander Luke was going to get Commander Luke. If they come back down the road and said: look, we're changing the next Luke (or next big character release) because we heard people criticizing the Commander Luke release, then you will be proven correct. But in the State of The Galaxy here, they say they've gotten "overwhelming positive response and feedback" - is that actually not true?

    Right now, with the evidence I see, I'm going with Occam's Razor: they obviously did not want hoards of players with Commander Luke. We can speculate why that was, but it still doesn't change the fact that they could have easily made such a thing happen and didn't.

    Lies, deception!

    Bor Gullet will know the truth!
  • I've started playing less than a year ago (Sept 2016) and would have unlocked CLS if the event had lasted two weeks.
    I have saved $40 and now back to farming Speed mods.
  • I am just curious how many from that 200.000 who embarked have got Commander Luke. I just have old ben at 5*, but I dont mind, next time I will be ready. My understanding is anybody who is finished the first tier at least count in to that 200.000.

  • Currently, there is an avenue to obtain all the necessary shards to obtain CL. Take a look in the shard shop.

    .

    LOL the shard shop. I've been monitoring it all week. No old ben shards in the there. Look we get it... you got your CLS and congrats at that but the insinuation that it's somehow my fault that I don't have him is insulting. They can run this game and make money any way they want but like with any business when things aren't fair then people aren't going to be happy. I've been planning for this event for a long time and got locked out of it through no fault of my own. I'm not happy about it and this is my way of letting the devs know that I'm not happy about it so they can make a better product for the future.

    LOL... I'm du-mb... I meant the 'Data card' tab in the Store.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • The last few pages of posts from those giving their comment on 'bad' communication is just beyond me. Again, the communication and the event were fantastic. And just stop with the keyboard warrior attitudes. I have no association with CG or EA. Pleeeeeeaaaaaase!
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • fotrovina wrote: »
    So far we had only Legendary Events for characters, so maybe they could be replayable by changing character shards for ship shards...

    Yoda -> Yoda's Jedi Starfighter
    Emperor -> Emperor Palpatine's Shuttle
    R2 -> Luke Skywalker X-Wing
    Thrawn -> Chimaera

    Once you complete all tiers of a Legendary Event, then the next time it comes around you will be able to play the new version of the event where you will be able to earn ship shards for that particular character...

    What a fantastic idea. And congrats Devs. I've been playing since the first day of release. This is by far the best game on mobile apps ever.
  • Thank you! You Guys are awesome!
  • KueChael
    777 posts Moderator
    Stop complaining and start farming, if they drop him again for 1 day at the end of the month, your going to complain they didn't tell you. But if you keep farming, you may have a chance. Silence and hard work are your friends, all rewards go to those who are prepared.
    They don't have to tell us anything. The surprise of the game is like Christmas every month. If you didn't get R2, it's your fault. The Empire is what the movies are about. If you don't have 5 loaded empire characters-Your Fault, not theirs. Old Ben was Luke's protector, you didn't think you'd need him? Quit whining and start figuring things out for yourselves. Separatist are coming... maybe next month or 6 months but thier coming. Have 5 ready. Bounty hunters will come also.... are you ready? Get ready.
  • I hope they never communicate anything ever again and we just play whatever pops up in the game from week to week
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    State of the Galaxy: We're really proud of ourselves and you should be proud of us as well

    Lol +1
  • One of my issues with this event is R2D2 is required. He only comes out once in a blue moon. I can try to farm the rest, but I failed to get him this time around due to my lacking characters. Oh well, next time I will do better. I hope they return this event right after another R2D2 return.
  • Whindanser
    138 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Nobody is entitled to any character...the devs are not required to tell you anything. Get off all of your entitled high horses and realize that they just put out great content that you may or may not have access to immediately. It'll come back around so if you aren't ready for it now, be ready next time. That's life. Quit crying. Ps...this is from someone who probably won't get Luke this time around.
  • My issue was R2. I was foolish for spending money and got my empire team to 7* g9 or better with 5 dot level 15 mods. I just didn't have the "right" empire team and so only a 6* R2 with the rest of my 7* required team for Luke. Which means JKL will be out of the question because my empire team wasn't quite right. Granted, I learned my lesson and will never spend money on this again but the commination I could go either way. This just set a tone with too many people just to be dismissed or to just say "tough, your loss". Congrats to everyone who got Luke.
  • Xetal
    218 posts Member
    Whindanser wrote: »
    Nobody is entitled to any character...the devs are not required to tell you anything. Get off all of your entitled high horses and realize that they just put out great content that you may or may not have access to immediately. It'll come back around so if you aren't ready for it now, be ready next time. That's life. Quit crying. Ps...this is from someone who probably won't get Luke this time around.

    I keep seeing variations on this argument. It is a silly argument to make.

    No one is owed anything. They could close up the game tomorrow and no one is owed something. That is completely beside the point of what anyone is saying.

    What they are saying is that the event was not enjoyable because of the poor communication and botched timetable.

    What they are saying is that if they're paying money and expecting something and don't get it, then they are less likely to pay for the same thing in the future.

    This kind of launch for an event that is otherwise well designed isn't good for the players or for the game.

    Chanting back "Nobody is owed anything, Entitled! Participation Trophy! Grow Up!" is just a silly argument made by those who are only capable of parroting back intellectually lazy arguments.
  • Xetal wrote: »
    Whindanser wrote: »
    Nobody is entitled to any character...the devs are not required to tell you anything. Get off all of your entitled high horses and realize that they just put out great content that you may or may not have access to immediately. It'll come back around so if you aren't ready for it now, be ready next time. That's life. Quit crying. Ps...this is from someone who probably won't get Luke this time around.

    I keep seeing variations on this argument. It is a silly argument to make.

    No one is owed anything. They could close up the game tomorrow and no one is owed something. That is completely beside the point of what anyone is saying.

    What they are saying is that the event was not enjoyable because of the poor communication and botched timetable.

    What they are saying is that if they're paying money and expecting something and don't get it, then they are less likely to pay for the same thing in the future.

    This kind of launch for an event that is otherwise well designed isn't good for the players or for the game.

    Chanting back "Nobody is owed anything, Entitled! Participation Trophy! Grow Up!" is just a silly argument made by those who are only capable of parroting back intellectually lazy arguments.

    Well said!
  • Hskull55
    2262 posts Member
    Great, I want to kill that R2D2 with my new imperial troopers :3
    My collection https://swgoh.gg/u/Hskull55/
    Sorry for my English :]
Sign In or Register to comment.