State of the Galaxy 8/11/2017 [Mega]

Replies

  • Xetal wrote: »

    I keep seeing variations on this argument. It is a silly argument to make.

    No one is owed anything. They could close up the game tomorrow and no one is owed something. That is completely beside the point of what anyone is saying.

    What they are saying is that the event was not enjoyable because of the poor communication and botched timetable.

    What they are saying is that if they're paying money and expecting something and don't get it, then they are less likely to pay for the same thing in the future.

    This kind of launch for an event that is otherwise well designed isn't good for the players or for the game.

    Chanting back "Nobody is owed anything, Entitled! Participation Trophy! Grow Up!" is just a silly argument made by those who are only capable of parroting back intellectually lazy arguments.

    exactly
  • mystaticromance
    4 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    I don't think the communication was sub par. I think it was exactly what they intended it to be. Everyone's view of good communication varies.

    A player as powerful as Commander Luke was not intended to be obtainable the first time around for everyone. We have all seen this before. It is essentially setting us up for how the new Territory Battles are going to raise the difficulty bar. It's your traditional power creep. In the end, guys and gals, this is a video game. Unless you are a professional gamer or aspiring to be one, this is really not worth getting worked up about. Your income does not depend on your success in SWGOH.

    You can have results or excuses, but you can't have both. Stop making excuses, make plans and execute them. I understand that people are upset, but it's time to move on and make yourself ready for the next time around.
  • TNT1138 wrote: »
    When I was a kid I had a friend who would always buy the guide to go with every game he had. He would then proceed to follow the guide step by step until he finished the game. It always seemed like an incredibly boring way to play.

    I like the hints and gifs. I don't want to be told exactly what to do.[/quote]

    I agree with this sentiment. It adds another dimension to the game, kind of like a treasure hunt searching the forums for clues through CG communications.
    I find nothing wrong with the mode of communication they've used and was only vaguely surprised the event started so early in August rather than towards end. But I'll still get CLS by event end (I hope!). And that's from having 8 shards of Old Ben from when they announced requirements. And no, I didn't buy a data card. Just three refreshes a day and all cantina energy on him.
    This game rewards participation and forward planning. I'm looking forward to Territory Battles. My guild is strong, has 22 CLS and counting. Should you agree with me - come join us ;-)
  • Livenam wrote: »
    RoninGSX wrote: »
    Man, I see people on both ends of the spectrum, and as a guild leader I get it. I want my guys to get CLS just as much as the next person. But to be angry because of "poor communication" from EA and not telling you the exact characters to farm is just asinine. I don't ever recall reading anything where they said to watch for specific characters. I do remember them saying watch for clues. If they told you the toons you'd need a month ago, everyone would have CLS. And at that point they should have just put him in your inbox.

    The whole point of the game is to expand your collection and constantly improve. Yes, people chase the meta in hope of being on top, but there are other aspects to the game. A game thrives because people pay money for more content, so why wouldn't they want to make you spend money?

    I don't think the requirements are far fetched. Yes, they may be hard to obtain for some people. You can't please 100% of the people...100% of the time. That'd be bad for business. If you didn't get him this time round, keep your head up, farm the toons required, and wait for him to come back! It's not the end of the game just because you didn't get him. And yes, I'm f2p since Nov 2015. And I still had to farm Ben.

    One word - GREED. The game is ranked 4th now and is a CASH COW. And when did they please f2p even 50% of the time? Their mismanagement of information has given them a bad reputation now. And when you are in a different boat, the least you can do is keep sucking at it for the ea team. They, may make profits from p2p but f2p is what keeps the game rolling. So, keep calm, enjoy your ride and let the frustrated voice their opinion without you patronizing them.
    Nothing wrong with the event or communication. Most of yall pay and are mad because you didn't get your candy. Be smart about who you farm and you have to be lucky too. I didn't get thrawn, I didn't cry.

    Grow up.

    Lol, where do you do the crying then? - at the shrink.
  • Nikoms565
    11747 posts Member
    slugbahr wrote: »
    TNT1138 wrote: »
    slugbahr wrote: »
    There are a lot of people disappointed about how this event has been introduced. So gloating in the face of someone who feels cheated out of an iconic character is just pathetic! There are plenty of players who have been playing for well over a year that didn't have old Ben or one of the other characters. Its not that they are 'dumb', its because they have put their resources into useful toons and gear. Some players picked that they would need Old Ben, STH etc and others thought that it was just Farmboy Luke or even ewoks. Just because someone else made a different call it doesn't mean people should rub their noses in it. EA wants to make money I get it -but the way they go about communicating what will be needed for specific events is really poor. Even though I should get CLS before the event finishes it doesn't make me want to celebrate the poor communication of EA and the insufferable gloating and put downs from players who have CLS unlocked.

    CG communication was not poor. F2p should never expect to obtain a wait-for-it... legendary toon just because they played a year. The game is not a charity.

    Giving hints and posting gifs when asked for concrete info is not good communication.
    Telling us exactly which toons would be needed, and by when, and for how long, would be good communication.
    Their need to make money by the methods they've chosen does not mean the definition of poor communication is changed to fit within that context.

    Not every f2p missed out on Luke. Not every non-f2p obtained him. So that is a meaningless comment.

    When I was a kid I had a friend who would always buy the guide to go with every game he had. He would then proceed to follow the guide step by step until he finished the game. It always seemed like an incredibly boring way to play.

    I like the hints and gifs. I don't want to be told exactly what to do.

    Ummmm....good for you, I guess.

    Still doesn't change that those methods are pretty much the definition of poor communication. Which was my point.

    There is a difference between communication and being handed everything on a silver platter. Hints ARE communication. Many people prefer to play the game that way...which has always been the way the game has been run, btw.

    Making hard choices on what to do with limited resources is part of the game and always has been. When you do it right (zeta Maul, while everyone else is zetaing Vader, so you sit atop arena for 2 months) it's very rewarding...until you're the only one who can't solo heroic Ranxir. When you farm Phoenix and snag Thrawn, same. There's trade offs. Sometimes you guess right and are ahead of the curve. Other times, not.

    I actually enjoy that aspect of the game. Instead of being handed the guidebook. That's not playing - that's just following orders. No thanks.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

    In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • KueChael
    794 posts Moderator
    I spent nothing and earned him. You can to, with your time and some basic refreshes. Anything can be achieved. If you want CLS so bad.... spend some cash. They said his closest friends would join him... how do you not get it? That is incredible communication. Watch a new hope, find the 5 main characters. They aren't going to blatantly name who you need, they gave 2 .5 months to farm everyone you needed.
    Thank you CG for the very obvious hints you laid from May through August. It was enough for those that can come to conclusions using reasonable assumptions.
    (I think if we took an age/ generation pole of those whining and of those thankful and understanding, we'd see what's really happening here. )
  • Uklem
    46 posts Member
    Here is my feedback on the event :

    Communication = poor. Between the focus on farmer Luke when he was only one of 9 needed character, the timing of the event and the lack of answer here before the annoucement, I am not really happy. Does CG/EA like seeing us polluting the forums when a strait answer would have stopped all those like me who thought that all the event was 7* only?

    Battle = Interesting. I could only do the first 3 tiers, but they were fun. I should get it next time, but if next time is in 6 month or more then it will be a disappointement especially if JKL is 6 month after.

    Reward = Will see. If CLS and later JKL alter the game to the point that not having make it less playable (thinking GW and TB here since Arena is not my thing), then I will mark this event as a failure.

    Overall, not a bad event, but in the end I don't understand all the supposed Epicness that EA/CG spoke about. If adding some cinematic and making the unlocking harder is their definition of Epic then I will be disappointed in the future.
    I anticipate TB far more even if I am afraid that it will again be content for End Game players/guilds.
  • KueChael wrote: »
    I spent nothing and earned him. You can to, with your time and some basic refreshes. Anything can be achieved. If you want CLS so bad.... spend some cash. They said his closest friends would join him... how do you not get it? That is incredible communication. Watch a new hope, find the 5 main characters. They aren't going to blatantly name who you need, they gave 2 .5 months to farm everyone you needed.
    Thank you CG for the very obvious hints you laid from May through August. It was enough for those that can come to conclusions using reasonable assumptions.
    (I think if we took an age/ generation pole of those whining and of those thankful and understanding, we'd see what's really happening here. )

    Agree 100%. I'll probably won't get CLS this time around (will be 20 shards short on OB, yikes!) but I think a lot of people were just surprised by either the event being only 7 days (I was), or the event being so soon in the month and overlapping R2's event (I was).

    Although double drops would've been nice, they were never a guarantee - prepare for the worst, hope for the best. They did offer ways to 'help' us get more shards even if that meant paying for it.

    I will say though, out of the 10-12 people in my guild who were 'kinda' planning ahead, only 1 is going to get it. The rest of us need a mere 2-3 extra days (some even with the $20 pack). I think that if the event ran from today (when R2's finished), and just for a week (same length), a lot more people would've been happier.
  • Xetal wrote: »
    Whindanser wrote: »
    Nobody is entitled to any character...the devs are not required to tell you anything. Get off all of your entitled high horses and realize that they just put out great content that you may or may not have access to immediately. It'll come back around so if you aren't ready for it now, be ready next time. That's life. Quit crying. Ps...this is from someone who probably won't get Luke this time around.

    I keep seeing variations on this argument. It is a silly argument to make.

    No one is owed anything. They could close up the game tomorrow and no one is owed something. That is completely beside the point of what anyone is saying.

    What they are saying is that the event was not enjoyable because of the poor communication and botched timetable.

    What they are saying is that if they're paying money and expecting something and don't get it, then they are less likely to pay for the same thing in the future.

    This kind of launch for an event that is otherwise well designed isn't good for the players or for the game.

    Chanting back "Nobody is owed anything, Entitled! Participation Trophy! Grow Up!" is just a silly argument made by those who are only capable of parroting back intellectually lazy arguments.

    This
  • Alright I'm over it. Yes this was excellent comtent. Sorry I was so bitter. It is very frustrating because the expectation was greater. Oh well. I still think Commander Luke shouldn't have been the one to tighten the restrictions on. This would've been far more acceptable to implement with Jedi Luke. Again Oh well. Can't change what is done.

    I'm very happy about the quality of the event even though I disagree with the 7* restrictions. Great job, none the less, on a well thought out event. At least in terms of content.
  • Alright I'm over it. Yes this was excellent comtent. Sorry I was so bitter. It is very frustrating because the expectation was greater. Oh well. I still think Commander Luke shouldn't have been the one to tighten the restrictions on. This would've been far more acceptable to implement with Jedi Luke. Again Oh well. Can't change what is done.

    I'm very happy about the quality of the event even though I disagree with the 7* restrictions. Great job, none the less, on a well thought out event. At least in terms of content.

    It's a bummer you couldn't get CL. :(

    This event will come again though.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • It'd be nice if there was some sort of adaptive event that could be repeated multiple times, but each iteration was harder than the one before. Someone rightly pointed out that if they added a replay function to the current events, they'd just roll over those as easily as they did the first time around and it wouldn't really help. Adding a hard repeatable tier is one step, but it doesn't solve the problem of once you can finish it, you can just always finish it. (Kind of like Credit Heists--Once you reach a certain point, you beat T5 and collect your 2.5m, then next week you autobattle it because there's no challenge any more.)

    If the game could count the number of times you beat it and increase all health and damage by, say, 2% each time, eventually no matter how strong your team was you would eventually hit a wall that you just couldn't beat. Then by the next time the event rolled around you would--theoretically--have improved your team to the point that you could go further than that wall.

    You'd get rewards each step along the way, and if the counter was visible you'd find people showing off their counters.

    Just a thought.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • if they let us buy more than 1 character pack that would solve the problem and line their pockets. a win win if you axe me
  • if they let us buy more than 1 character pack that would solve the problem and line their pockets. a win win if you axe me

    Why is the assumption that EA wanted more people to have Luke and screwed up? Or that they could have had more people get Luke and screwed up?

    What if they didn't? What if this was an experiment for how future character releases will be?
  • if they let us buy more than 1 character pack that would solve the problem and line their pockets. a win win if you axe me

    Why is the assumption that EA wanted more people to have Luke and screwed up? Or that they could have had more people get Luke and screwed up?

    What if they didn't? What if this was an experiment for how future character releases will be?
    I think it's a safe assumption that EA, a company that a few years back lost $20 million in one year, probably wants outcomes that give them a couple bucks.

    But EA doesn't develop the game, CG does. We don't know the deal they have in place.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Melvil
    242 posts Member
    So basically you lied when you told us that there would be faster ways to get the required characters for the event! Yay for you for lying again! :)
  • DatBoi
    3572 posts Member
    Melvil wrote: »
    So basically you lied when you told us that there would be faster ways to get the required characters for the event! Yay for you for lying again! :)
    Somebody asked if there would be packs or double drops. They said something would come along. Something came along. Dont take things out of context
  • Xetal wrote: »
    Whindanser wrote: »
    Nobody is entitled to any character...the devs are not required to tell you anything. Get off all of your entitled high horses and realize that they just put out great content that you may or may not have access to immediately. It'll come back around so if you aren't ready for it now, be ready next time. That's life. Quit crying. Ps...this is from someone who probably won't get Luke this time around.

    I keep seeing variations on this argument. It is a silly argument to make.

    No one is owed anything. They could close up the game tomorrow and no one is owed something. That is completely beside the point of what anyone is saying.

    What they are saying is that the event was not enjoyable because of the poor communication and botched timetable.

    What they are saying is that if they're paying money and expecting something and don't get it, then they are less likely to pay for the same thing in the future.

    This kind of launch for an event that is otherwise well designed isn't good for the players or for the game.

    Chanting back "Nobody is owed anything, Entitled! Participation Trophy! Grow Up!" is just a silly argument made by those who are only capable of parroting back intellectually lazy arguments.

    Couldn't have said it better.
  • if they let us buy more than 1 character pack that would solve the problem and line their pockets. a win win if you axe me

    I was wondering this exact thing. I would have gladly bought multiple packs. But they make more with people buying the 699 crystal packs. I bought a dozen of those and barely got anything of what I needed.
  • ColonelTravis
    365 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    NicWester wrote: »
    I think it's a safe assumption that EA, a company that a few years back lost $20 million in one year, probably wants outcomes that give them a couple bucks.

    But EA doesn't develop the game, CG does. We don't know the deal they have in place.

    EA/CG/Developer Side/Whatever. So the company that has made millions from this game in almost two years, which has released several big important characters in the past - all of a sudden this same company that did all that didn't know what it was doing with the release of Commander Luke, probably the most requested character in the game so far? I find that impossible to believe. Especially when they said this release would be like no other. And guess what? It wasn't.

    Developers could have chosen to drop hints every day for months, could have told us directly what we needed, could have done any number of things. They didn't. The assumption by some is that they should have done more. Sorry, why? The only reasoning to back up their assumption is: it's not fair, which isn't evidence, it's emotion.

    The withholding of info. was deliberate.


  • I was wondering this exact thing. I would have gladly bought multiple packs. But they make more with people buying the 699 crystal packs. I bought a dozen of those and barely got anything of what I needed.

    You spent 8K in crystals on what is known to be one of the poorest decisions in the game?
  • Bobby777
    614 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    I was wondering this exact thing. I would have gladly bought multiple packs. But they make more with people buying the 699 crystal packs. I bought a dozen of those and barely got anything of what I needed.

    You spent 8K in crystals on what is known to be one of the poorest decisions in the game?
    Edit
  • Monel
    1470 posts Member
    slugbahr wrote: »
    There are a lot of people disappointed about how this event has been introduced. So gloating in the face of someone who feels cheated out of an iconic character is just pathetic! There are plenty of players who have been playing for well over a year that didn't have old Ben or one of the other characters. Its not that they are 'dumb', its because they have put their resources into useful toons and gear. Some players picked that they would need Old Ben, STH etc and others thought that it was just Farmboy Luke or even ewoks. Just because someone else made a different call it doesn't mean people should rub their noses in it. EA wants to make money I get it -but the way they go about communicating what will be needed for specific events is really poor. Even though I should get CLS before the event finishes it doesn't make me want to celebrate the poor communication of EA and the insufferable gloating and put downs from players who have CLS unlocked.

    CG communication was not poor. F2p should never expect to obtain a wait-for-it... legendary toon just because they played a year. The game is not a charity.

    Giving hints and posting gifs when asked for concrete info is not good communication.
    Telling us exactly which toons would be needed, and by when, and for how long, would be good communication.
    Their need to make money by the methods they've chosen does not mean the definition of poor communication is changed to fit within that context.

    Not every f2p missed out on Luke. Not every non-f2p obtained him. So that is a meaningless comment.

    Here is a hint for next time... UNLOCK EVERYONE! If you haven't there is a chance you might fall short next time as well. I know I will miss out on Tuskins, FO, and Geonosians if they come up next.
  • Dear @CG_TopHat,
    I've been thinking a lot about this exactly for a while. Not only Legendary events have been great, but some Marquee were amazing. Specially for those of us that we were not at the very beginning, we have lost some Marquee events, like the Rogue One. But on more general terms, I would love to practice Heroic raids, even if my guild still can't complete them.
    So, if you had a Simulation Room, or something like that, where we could play any raid level, marquee, legendary and Heroe's Journey, Assault Battles, etc., with each tier accessible separately, it would be great. I would not pretend any payouts. That would necessary limit the amount of battles I could do. I'd rather be able to test my Chirpatine in Heroic AAT Phase 3 directly.
    If you wanted to go the extra mile, you would also allow use to play to "what-if" teams, or a selection of teams from any shards (say, from Extremelly Difficult where teams that have the highest Power in the game, to Very Easy from the bottom of newer shards).
    And the final cherry would be if we could spar with our fellow guildmembers. I just happen to share a shard with one of my guildmates, but he's too high for me to reach. If we had some way of coordinating and battling any team, it would be great.


  • Well said mate. There are some paid trouble shooters ( or currying favours now or in the future ) here who are trying to limit the damage. And they are calling people who express their grievances as whiners. Shame on them and shame on such paid staff and their tactics. And the moderater doesn't do anything about such name calling. What a double standard. [/quote]

    @Livenam well said! +1
  • I was wondering this exact thing. I would have gladly bought multiple packs. But they make more with people buying the 699 crystal packs. I bought a dozen of those and barely got anything of what I needed.

    You spent 8K in crystals on what is known to be one of the poorest decisions in the game?

    I'm well aware they were poor decisions but they were the only option provided.
  • Vykk, I really feel bad you didn't get Luke this time. Seriously. And anyone else. Just curious - how far away are you from a team to unlock him?
  • Vykk, I really feel bad you didn't get Luke this time. Seriously. And anyone else. Just curious - how far away are you from a team to unlock him?

    Thanks for your kind words. I'm not far but Leia is the one holding me back. Everyone else is 7. If I could buy 2 character packs I would be good to go but that's just not in the cards.
  • Understood - well, good luck with the rest of the game.
Sign In or Register to comment.