Ver Update 9: 08/28/2017 [MEGA]

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    benacrow wrote: »
    Elbertoman wrote: »
    Stop your whining. Gear progression is just fine. Either you have discipline and grind it down or buy stuff from the premium shop. That's how this game makes money and stays f2p for the masses.

I'm ftp, so buying isn't an option, which is why I am extremely experienced in our inability to obtain older gear even though we have new gear pieces to get. At higher levels, the lower tier gear should no longer be blocking our progress, but that isn't the case.

There are many f2p that manage crystals spend on gear. This game has a good source of crystals for all players. It's not going to make you gear everyone like a whale, but can keep you at a dolphin pace.

The game is paced at a good spot. If it got easier to gear up to g7 the further you got into the game the pace would accelerate. The goal of the pace is to keep you progressing at 1 speed, unless you want to pay. Time is the equalizer not the advantage.
  • Options
    I'm not even gear XI and I'm starting to work on gear X, please don't add any more barriers.
  • benacrow
    2700 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Stop your whining. Gear progression is just fine. Either you have discipline and grind it down or buy stuff from the premium shop. That's how this game makes money and stays f2p for the masses.

I'm ftp, so buying isn't an option, which is why I am extremely experienced in our inability to obtain older gear even though we have new gear pieces to get. At higher levels, the lower tier gear should no longer be blocking our progress, but that isn't the case.

There are many f2p that manage crystals spend on gear. This game has a good source of crystals for all players. It's not going to make you gear everyone like a whale, but can keep you at a dolphin pace.

The game is paced at a good spot. If it got easier to gear up to g7 the further you got into the game the pace would accelerate. The goal of the pace is to keep you progressing at 1 speed, unless you want to pay. Time is the equalizer not the advantage.

Getting crystals isn't the problem. The problem is that at top level, we have to focus on buying all these new gear pieces to keep up and max out toons, but it's very difficult to do that when there's still a gear gate on items from the lvl 60 cap (MKIII Holos, MKIV Laptops, endless blues and greens, etc). If a new gear level is introduced, and nothing else changes, there's going to be a huge problem for any player unable to fork over the cash to take a toon to G12.
    FN 2187, Mighty Chlorians (spelt with a lowercase l not a capital I): Heroic AAT Guide, The Gear Grind
  • Options
    Hi!
    Please. This is a controversial topic that many players hate or love. However, I would like to have the privilege to voice out the newer players that just start the game-- it's a long grind and journey however once you get started, there's another thing that just makes a sense of community

You see, that's the beauty of this game. The people arguing for a level increase are saying that "people are catching up... tired of same teams... won't be challenged... etc..." but that's precisely the reason why CG made the game like this. The versatility really shines. If you want to leave one toon to work on another new one/ one that interests you, by all means you can do that and when you pick back up your old team that's maxed out, it will perform just as well in arena (same dmg individually, although effectiveness is a whole other genera) You always have something to improve upon... Older players and new players alike will have the same field in terms of fairness in squad arena due to the fact that there is a height limit to the gear and level.. however to balance this, Cg made mods-- older players usually have more developed modsets and that's almost always the only place where they gain an advantage. the structure also allows for newer players to work their way up... although a minority of older players hate this, I can say that those players are those who hate seeing new faces and welcome change

I'm not advocating for a stop level 90 nor am i stating that this shouldn't happen. All I am saying is that we(the older players) and those players who want more levels should accept how the game is as a whole and should think about being modest... stepping aside to celebrate others successes once in a while

Make the gear crunch easier, and then bring on level 90.
    "There are no Jedi here anymore. Only dreamers like this fool." - Baze Malbus.

https://swgoh.gg/u/limitedu34/
  • Findesiecle
    32 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Don't know if it's been said, but the raise to 85 didn't make lower gear any easier to obtain. Why would 90 be different?

Challenges dropping all gear helped just a tiny bit. Horrible RNG on heroic rancor that periodically drops the "old" needed gear like cuffs and guns, then regular tank drops higher tier, most of the time stuff you get from challenges. Is heroic tank providing something I'm not aware of? It will make people quit the game if they don't do something about it. It takes me months to get a squad geared unless I laser focus on it, and by then meta and character needs for other events have already come up. "Just ignore it" is not a sound theory. You will fall way behind if you don't diversify a little, and as the game expands, the gear bottle neck worsens.

TL;DR: there's a difference between a challenge and making it ridiculously hard just to gear one squad, which could quickly fall out of fashion.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Getting crystals isn't the problem. The problem is that at top level, we have to focus on buying all these new gear pieces to keep up and max out toons, but it's very difficult to do that when there's still a gear gate on items from the lvl 60 cap (MKIII Holos, MKIV Laptops, endless blues and greens, etc). If a new gear level is introduced, and nothing else changes, there's going to be a huge problem for any player unable to fork over the cash to take a toon to G12.

If you are organized and work toward a focused goal it can be done. If you want to max out a large roster it takes time or money, that's it.

The low end gear gate doesn't limit the high end gear gate, if you buy high end gear with crystals and farm low end gear in an organized manner, you should be ok.

Yes it takes time, and yes f2p are not as flexible as p2p, but hoarding and a focused system on who to gear can work.

Making it easy to gear low end toons as you get higher up would speed up the pace and leave more players with less to do and get bored. The whole game is meant to be a marathon, you have to pay to sprint.
  • Options
    Same resources, greater character and event pool. Hmm...
  • Options
    Bring it .. whatever helps mix things up
  • Options
    I'm down for a lvl and gear increase. It's bound to happen anyway, why not now?
  • Options
    I'd be ok with gear 12 IF it's completely made up of gear that drops from the new territory battles. This would mean that we could expand our current characters without impeding what we are currently farming. I'm going to hate G12 if It means I just need more of what I already need.
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Options
    They've actually talked about gear 12 in an interview. They don't plan on it any time soon, and really it sounded like they weren't much into it at all
  • Options

The whole game is meant to be a marathon, you have to pay to sprint.

I agree, most people complain about gearing characters because they can't unlock someone and instantly have them at gear 11.

It has never been easier to gear someone up to the point where you start to need gold gear, it does it require work to gear up but if you focus on one character at a time it's not as bad as a lot of people make out.

The tank raid gear is the new gear gate but even then compared to when the tank raid first launched due to completing more raids.

There are some parts of the game where further improvements can be made to gear drops but as things are currently it's a big improvement over where we have been in the past.

You may need 1000s of a bit of gear to max every character but you only need a handful for the character you are currently working on. One thing you have to understand is unless you spend a lot of money on this game you are not going to have every character maxed.
  • Options

If you are organized and work toward a focused goal it can be done. If you want to max out a large roster it takes time or money, that's it.

The low end gear gate doesn't limit the high end gear gate, if you buy high end gear with crystals and farm low end gear in an organized manner, you should be ok.

Yes it takes time, and yes f2p are not as flexible as p2p, but hoarding and a focused system on who to gear can work.

Making it easy to gear low end toons as you get higher up would speed up the pace and leave more players with less to do and get bored. The whole game is meant to be a marathon, you have to pay to sprint.

@benacrow statement is extremely strong. He is saying that it is near impossible for FTP to gear up that high while @Kyno is accusing Bena for not being organized enough.. I believe you missed the point. Although I believe ebenacrows statement is wrong, I would like to take a moment to clarify something in @Kyno statement that really disturbes me.

The developers seem focused on portraying themselves as if they made this game to provide an "authentic Star Wars experience" -- collect your favorite toons and have fun

Yes, it is true that you have to pay to get ahead in the game. I completely believe in this as a paying player myself. However when I, as a player read this line, I have to ask myself - is this really a game I want to support? One who's STAFF state that the end goal of the game is to take our money away. Although everyone knows that businesses function to profit, most consumers don't want to be reminded of this fact. Most people in CG are unified... they don't make remarks like this however it makes me wonder about the forums staff team
  • Morpheus
    279 posts Member
    Options
    Nothing kyno says is wrong or offensive, don't think it needs to be made into something it's not.
  • Options
    Morpheus wrote: »
    Nothing kyno says is wrong or offensive, don't think it needs to be made into something it's not.
    Same. This is a grind game. If you want to build your roster- toons, stars, levels, gears, mods. It takes time= marathon. Even if you just pumped nothing but money into it, it would still take some time. Ftp- and building takes time and patience. Decisions have to be made on who to gear and raise up. A lot more hoarding but it is possible. I'm ignorant of other freemium games but from what I hear this is one of the better ones. Ftp are able
    To get 1st in arena and cultivate those purps.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited July 2017
    Options

@benacrow statement is extremely strong. He is saying that it is near impossible for FTP to gear up that high while @Kyno is accusing Bena for not being organized enough.. I believe you missed the point. Although I believe ebenacrows statement is wrong, I would like to take a moment to clarify something in @Kyno statement that really disturbes me.

The developers seem focused on portraying themselves as if they made this game to provide an "authentic Star Wars experience" -- collect your favorite toons and have fun

Yes, it is true that you have to pay to get ahead in the game. I completely believe in this as a paying player myself. However when I, as a player read this line, I have to ask myself - is this really a game I want to support? One who's STAFF state that the end goal of the game is to take our money away. Although everyone knows that businesses function to profit, most consumers don't want to be reminded of this fact. Most people in CG are unified... they don't make remarks like this however it makes me wonder about the forums staff team

@Bouncyslime
    Please try not to distort my words. If you would like clarification on what I am saying please ask.

I am forum moderator and while this does make me a representative of the parent organizations on the forum, this does make me "staff" in any real way. How I view the game is my personal view.

I stated that the game is a marathon meaning the game is designed to be paced for a long period of time(or distance if you actually want a direct marathon comparison). To progress to any point faster, i.e. sprint, you would need to spend money. I say this because everyone at an equivalent pace to people in the same position as they are (arena rank, start time, and raids), the only way to gain an advantage is to increase resource income.

I would also like to point out, I don't believe they have ever portrayed that this game will give an "authentic" SW anything. They have stated they wanted to have a sandbox where players can make teams of characters stand shoulder to shoulder that never would never have in the galaxy we love far far away.

• YWing13
    24 posts Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve about high level gear is the amount of the same stuff we need. I'm trying to gear up an Empire Team, but the amount of stun cuffs needed is ridiculous! I need over 500 on just one character and I have 4 more. I wish they had a better imagination and had many more different kinds of gear.
  • Cerealkiller0281
    90 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    YWing13 wrote: »
    My biggest pet peeve about high level gear is the amount of the same stuff we need. I'm trying to gear up an Empire Team, but the amount of stun cuffs needed is ridiculous! I need over 500 on just one character and I have 4 more. I wish they had a better imagination and had many more different kinds of gear.

At least you can farm stun cuffs from reg nodes (only 50 gems per refresh) there's other pieces like furnace salvage that isn't I literally have 19 toons waiting on one (granted I'm not using most) and mostly that gets them to gIX and most likely needs another for gX

So doing something about the non farmable gear is a must before any cap increase, it's not a time issue when you can't even farm it and I'm not dropping 200-400 dollars on furnaces..... not sure many others would either
  • Cloud24
    206 posts Member
    Options
    lol squad arena is only colusion do not speak about fairness there.
  • Options
    My furnace salvage is catching up to my tactical gear challenge. This isn't a good thing...
  • Options
    Whindanser wrote: »
    No thank you.
    no thank you for reading the post
    Maegor wrote: »
    Vohbo wrote: »
    I think that before we go to level 90, we need a way to fix the gear scarcity in some areas. It's good to have difficult to get items, but we really need an item exchange.

I still have a ton of stuff to gear, but I would argue that we don't need a "catch-up" mechanic on gear until after g12 is introduced. But that's just my 2c.

Agreed

Too bad I didn't read it....
  • Options
    I support a gear exchange. I have 3000 of of some items that are zero value to me right now but I continue to acquire while farming stun cuffs, etc...
  • Asic
    1146 posts Member
    Options
    Given the game is stale as day old bread, if new content means level cap increase, great.

We haven't seen really content since AAT and even ships were now nearly 9 months ago.
  • TofuMao
    630 posts Member
    Options
    Seems you guys that state nothing changed when we got lvl cap raise to 85 have forgotten that syringes and carbantis were added in the challenges that's about 45-85 salvage a week for nothing, that got easier, then the next bottleneck is cuffs and guns, holoprojectors, yes, I need over 400 of the **** things but I won't farm them, just buy them in the shop, 300 crystals it's nothing even for a F2P like me( well I put 30€ into it) if new level cap comes definitely there will be new tiers giving cuffs and guns, maybe holos, so but just to make another bottleneck further.
  • slugbahr
    365 posts Member
    Options
    TofuMao wrote: »
    Seems you guys that state nothing changed when we got lvl cap raise to 85 have forgotten that syringes and carbantis were added in the challenges that's about 45-85 salvage a week for nothing, that got easier, then the next bottleneck is cuffs and guns, holoprojectors, yes, I need over 400 of the **** things but I won't farm them, just buy them in the shop, 300 crystals it's nothing even for a F2P like me( well I put 30€ into it) if new level cap comes definitely there will be new tiers giving cuffs and guns, maybe holos, so but just to make another bottleneck further.

Those increases of carbanti and syringes are close to nothing, in real terms. The need for them rose along with the increased drops.
    Same thing will harken with the next increase - more gear required, bugger all increase in ways to get them.
    Without new content (not new challenge levels - you just end up simming), a level increase is just an increase to the grind.
  • Options
    Are these rewards for real? Have you learned nothing from Rancor/HAAT?

http://imgur.com/a/4Ez9f
  • Options
    Love it, need about 600 of those syringes and CHSolo and ROLO will probably need another 200 each at least.
  • Options
    Love it, need about 600 of those syringes and CHSolo and ROLO will probably need another 200 each at least.

Says the guy with 0 G11 characters.

No need for TB to reward these when we can get plenty of those from HAAT + Rancor + Challenges + Farming (if needed)
  • crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    Options
    Great...so TB is going to give me even MORE scanners...