Let's talk New Player Experience

Replies

• Options
    Now im not hating on lizzy because of how low he/she GP is...but when someone like that comes on the forums and talks all this talk without a roster to back it up is nothing but a sure sign of frustration and naivety about the game. Thats what i am laughing about and thats what i find insanely hilarious.
    Here's a sure sign.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/133241/the-direction-the-game-is-heading

Jeez, Louise. You must be projecting, 'cause I don't even remember the last time I was as upset as that about a videogame.

I beg to differ..number 1.2 lol. I bet you get mad everyday on this game...that's why you troll the forums..to relieve the stress that your 1.2GP roster gives ya lol.

It must really be a bummer to not finish GW everyday.

It must really be a bummer...to miss out on events.

It must really be a bummer...to not get rank one everyday in arena.

It must really be a bummer...when someone like me comes along and speaks a little truth that hurts the feelings.

Here's a tip.....take a break from the forums...and go work on your slightly less than 1.2 GP roster.

Hey my gp is 1.3 what a minute u mean I'm a sticker? What's a sticker?
  • JediMindTricks
    1077 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    When i first started playing i struggled alot. I worked on toons that was'nt good, could'nt finish GW for months, gear was a really slow grind also because there wasnt raids. Access to certain toons were only available by purchase because there was no such thing as a guild or ship store. There wasnt a shard shop. Literally the only way to gear up a toon was either using energy or spending crystals. There were also no events.

The game has come a long way since then. If i had to start over...it would be alot easier...and this is coming from someone who started playing 3 weeks after this game was released.

Gear may still be bottlenecked..but it "IS" still easier now than it was in the beginning. Same for farming toons. There are so many options now to get what it is you are trying to work on. Alot of new players werent around from the very beginning so they didnt experience how rough it was to farm and gear up a toon in the past.

Believe me when i say...its alot easier now than it was in 2015.
  • Options
    I personally have to disagree. I started this game about 4 months ago. I am happy with my progress. I have many 7* gear 9 characters at the moment. I have 7* palpatine. I am ready to 7* R2 when he rolls around again and slowly working my way towards 7* CLS. I have dropped maybe 60 bucks total. 15 bucks a month on some shards. And in all honesty I could have done all this with out the money.

It can be daunting and time consuming to get this done. All it takes is some planning on your part. Set your goals 2 to 3 months ahead of time. Make a time line on a spreadsheet. Where you would like to be and when.

You just have to realize this game is made to be slow to make you spend cash.

If you dint he game is too hard to progress in. This is not the game you are looking for.
  • Options
    When i first started playing i struggled alot. I worked on toons that was'nt good, could'nt finish GW for months, gear was a really slow grind also because there wasnt raids. Access to certain toons were only available by purchase because there was no such thing as a guild or ship store. There wasnt a shard shop. Literally the only way to gear up a toon was either using energy or spending crystals. There were also no events.

The game has come a long way since then. If i had to start over...it would be alot easier...and this is coming from someone who started playing 3 weeks after this game was released.

Gear may still be bottlenecked..but it "IS" still easier now than it was in the beginning. Same for farming toons. There are so many options now to get what it is you are trying to work on. Alot of new players werent around from the very beginning so they didnt experience how rough it was to farm and gear up a toon in the past.

Believe me when i say...its alot easier now than it was in 2015.

I think your post supports a post I made earlier about what could help a new player... I started a few months ago and made many of the same mistakes you did. My shard farming was totally random and went after characters I recognised or just ones that were thrown at me. I wasted crystals, gear and resources on things that were of no help to my overall progress.

The problem with there now being more things to do in the game is that as a new player it’s hard to know where and how to focus your time and resources.

So there needs to be more guidance and information available to players. List the possible events (legendary events at least) all the time and their requirements, just something to highlight or guide players towards characters that are actually required for events or battles, and then make character packs available for those players all the time too, couple that info with flash events and time limited packs for panic buying and I guarantee they would get more money from all players.

Just my 2 cents

• EPMAN
    76 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have played for some weeks now. though a veteran in the world off online gaming.

The three most importent "new player experience"

1. Game is unbalanced as cute kittens. Guessing most ppl quit the game only becuse off this. F2P vs P2W
    2. Make a few mistakes and you are literally set back for weeks, becuse off no free grind. Also = quit
    3. Dark side/light side fight together in some battles. Seems like the development team dont give fancy kitten about Star wars, but only are out to make money, but i guess EA is into this so no wonder.
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • Options
    I imagine the new player expierence is like oh hey this is fun and then a month in they can’t do anything because of how bad this game is for new players and how fast the content is being released without enough increases in rewards
  • JaggedJ
    1352 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    EPMAN wrote: »
    I have played for some weeks now. though a veteran in the world off online gaming.

The three most importent "new player experience"

1. Game is unbalanced as cute kitten. Guessing most ppl quit the game only becuse off this. F2P vs P2W
    2. Make a few mistakes and you are literally set back for weeks, becuse off no free grind. Also = quit
    3. Dark side/light side fight together in some battles. Seems like the development team dont give fancy kitten about Star wars, but only are out to make money, but i guess EA is into this so no wonder.

1) Disagree. Nothing is buried behind a pay wall, you just can't get it right away without paying. Unlike some games that keep things permanently buried behind a pay wall.

2) What do you mean by no free grind? If a player just starts playing and does whatever without thinking of course they'll make mistakes. Same as any game.

3) aahh what? The only mixed teams are user created teams and why would people not mix teams to get better results if it's effective? Not everything has to be hyper realistic. Anyone who quits for that reason can't be pleased.
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    Options
    Why won't this thread die
  • Options
    The biggest problem at the moment is the proliferation of legendary type characters. It basically forces players to farm toons they don't really want in order to get the toons they need to stay competitive. For example, I've been trying to farm Finn and Aayla for months, but was really forced to stop to farm countles useless toons for R2, CLS, Thrawn... Fortunatly the latest release, BB8 doesnt seem to be quite the game changer those thre are, but it still pulls us away from creating the teams we want to have. Beyond this, it leads to a very limited set of teams in PvP. How many top 10 teams these days dont include one or more of CLS, R2 or Thrawn? It would be far kinder to new/ mid term players to put these toons behind a 5* unlock in a legendary event then once unlocked allow them to be farmed in hard nodes, or in stores at higher prices (800 cantina/gw tokens for 5 shards). This would keep the toons kinda excluse but do away with the need invest so much in toons we do not want to have. The Yoda and Palp events are a bit different as they require 5 toons from larger factions and I'm sure we can all find 5 worthwhile rebels and sith, but 5 pheonix??? 5 empire??? Much harder to swallow. I understand that imp troopers had a rework, but they are still kinda lacking IMO. And as for farmboy luke....as a swgoh youtuber likes to say..chewbacca wants to cry.
  • CoastalJames
    2971 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    ...this game takes time and/or money.

Which is pretty much the final word and the bottom line.

If you're not prepared to spend either then go and do something you prefer.

SImple.

• Options
    Everyone seems to be forgetting another major issue. Decent guilds won't want new players. The game is getting more and more competitive guild wise. Smaller guilds will struggle to stay alive as their best-geared players will want to have access to better rewards, which is completely fair. As new players, the chances of being part of a guild that can do HAAT will start to decrease exponentially from this point on.
  • Options
    Everyone seems to be forgetting another major issue. Decent guilds won't want new players. The game is getting more and more competitive guild wise. Smaller guilds will struggle to stay alive as their best-geared players will want to have access to better rewards, which is completely fair. As new players, the chances of being part of a guild that can do HAAT will start to decrease exponentially from this point on.

This is a good point, which is exemplified by recent comments from the dev team that guilds should kick slackers to become hypercompetitive. While there is some merit to that idea, are there enough guilds for beginners who get 600 each day no problem but don't have the roster to contribute much to a haat or TB? I don't know the answer to that, but if not, it definitely is a problem.
  • Options
    [This is a good point, which is exemplified by recent comments from the dev team that guilds should kick slackers to become hypercompetitive. While there is some merit to that idea, are there enough guilds for beginners who get 600 each day no problem but don't have the roster to contribute much to a haat or TB? I don't know the answer to that, but if not, it definitely is a problem.

Well I think this is what the devs were trying to accomplish. Pre-TB, a warm body could get GK and Han, for the low price of 600/day. While it's the result of earlier content (rancor, HAAT) being trivialized by expanding rosters, power creep, gear increases, etc..., I'm fairly certain that's not what the devs were trying to accomplish. It seems that they want guilds to be stratified -- newer players should join guilds together and grow together, instead of joining up with, and hanging on to the coattails of, established players.

The net effect should (theoretically) be lower level guilds that advance to HPIT, HAAT, etc.... as a group, instead of the normal course that people have taken of "get one 7*, give us 600, and we'll give you the world!"
  • Matke
    56 posts Member
    Options
    [This is a good point, which is exemplified by recent comments from the dev team that guilds should kick slackers to become hypercompetitive. While there is some merit to that idea, are there enough guilds for beginners who get 600 each day no problem but don't have the roster to contribute much to a haat or TB? I don't know the answer to that, but if not, it definitely is a problem.

Well I think this is what the devs were trying to accomplish. Pre-TB, a warm body could get GK and Han, for the low price of 600/day. While it's the result of earlier content (rancor, HAAT) being trivialized by expanding rosters, power creep, gear increases, etc..., I'm fairly certain that's not what the devs were trying to accomplish. It seems that they want guilds to be stratified -- newer players should join guilds together and grow together, instead of joining up with, and hanging on to the coattails of, established players.

The net effect should (theoretically) be lower level guilds that advance to HPIT, HAAT, etc.... as a group, instead of the normal course that people have taken of "get one 7*, give us 600, and we'll give you the world!"

Completely agree.

When you provide 600 for Kenobi shards, and you can total 300k in the whole raid, you're cheating the system basically.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

This is a good point, which is exemplified by recent comments from the dev team that guilds should kick slackers to become hypercompetitive. While there is some merit to that idea, are there enough guilds for beginners who get 600 each day no problem but don't have the roster to contribute much to a haat or TB? I don't know the answer to that, but if not, it definitely is a problem.

If that's universally true for new players, it's not really a problem though. New players can build up to those things in the same way old players had to. It's only potentially a problem when there is a large divide among a single shard because some players get lucky and get into heroic guilds and others don't. But that was always the case anyway (since not everybody is pounding the forums looking for the ideal guild) and it's not really very different than the other ways that shards become stratified.
  • srgj88
    102 posts Member
    Options
    Ciomagaru wrote: »
    Guys what do you say if the next time you go eat dinner out the chef brings you only half of what you ordered? And if you're for any reason unsatisfied with the service, all the other customers around you take turns to defend the chef and inform you that is the first time you come to eat there, why do you ask for a full plate, you should be happy you got half of it.

I want to have access to all content, all events and all chars and experience all aspects of the game. My game activity is 100% similar to yours (veteran players) so i need to be rewarded equally. That doesn't mean free 7 stars CLS, it means:

1. early access in TB. lvl 30 - 45 players can easily experience the phase 1 and get more motivated to get stronger and do better. why wait for lvl 65?

2. access to all events. i just skiped a lvl 75 event, why is that necessary? Add some low lvl difficulty tiers and let me enjoy that event as everyone else.

3. i have no utility in heroic raids so as a low lvl player no guild needs me. finding a good TB, hAAT guild is almost impossible.

4. all veteran players have instant access to all legendary events and all new chars. maybe not all of them will 7 stars BB8, but they will all have a run to unlock him. a new player will in most cases skip that event.

5. someone said in GW we get to fight teams from ppl with the same lvl as us. WHAT? at lvl 65 my opp are fully moded gear 9, 7 stars lvl 80 teams that are at least 6 months ahead of me (remember i have 40 days in this game). I am constantly walled after the first 9 nodes. Mostly at N11 and N12.

Welcome to join my guild. We have a lot of mid level players and are trying to help them grow. Just a few top guys...pretty laid back guild.
  • Options
    Matke wrote: »

Completely agree.

When you provide 600 for Kenobi shards, and you can total 300k in the whole raid, you're cheating the system basically.

This is all true, but then your back handedly screwed when you have to face those players in your shard who have GK and Solo in either arena or GW. New to Mid level players are in that no man zone with these changes. And I am hoping G vs G really tiers who faces who. Because this could be a giant slaughter house of un fun if lower guilds have to face mid level to upper level guilds.
  • Options
    It seems that they want guilds to be stratified -- newer players should join guilds together and grow together, instead of joining up with, and hanging on to the coattails of, established players.

Problem is how do you go about stratifying even if you could because character balance is so terrible. You might have two 500k players who look even if all you want to look at is GP but if one of them went the correct path to unlock CLS with a few spare rebel/lightside toons for TB squads, and the other one worked on Jedi, Sith, and Droids...one of those guys is going to be riding the other's coattails as he puts up significantly lower scores in raids and TB just like he would be if there was a million GP difference between them.
  • Options
    Perfxion wrote: »
    And I am hoping G vs G really tiers who faces who.

GvG is going to be nothing but head to head TBs...just giant roster checks.

• Options
    I pity the fool that tries to get into this game now.
    --Nud Stark--
  • Options
    So you want to enter a game full of two-year veterans and COMPETE!!? DAY ONE!!?
    No. Start at the bottom, fight your way to the top. Pay real money to climb faster if that's your thing.
    The enjoyment is in earning, not handouts.
    5 weeks for a 7* team seems reasonable enough.
  • Options
    So you want to enter a game full of two-year veterans and COMPETE!!? DAY ONE!!?
    No. Start at the bottom, fight your way to the top. Pay real money to climb faster if that's your thing.
    The enjoyment is in earning, not handouts.
    5 weeks for a 7* team seems reasonable enough.

Q: So, you've been playing for two years? How long until my roster is as full as yours?
    A: Ummm, two years.
  • Options
    Oosu wrote: »
    I personally have to disagree. I started this game about 4 months ago. I am happy with my progress. I have many 7* gear 9 characters at the moment. I have 7* palpatine. I am ready to 7* R2 when he rolls around again and slowly working my way towards 7* CLS. I have dropped maybe 60 bucks total. 15 bucks a month on some shards. And in all honesty I could have done all this with out the money.

It can be daunting and time consuming to get this done. All it takes is some planning on your part. Set your goals 2 to 3 months ahead of time. Make a time line on a spreadsheet. Where you would like to be and when.

You just have to realize this game is made to be slow to make you spend cash.

If you dint he game is too hard to progress in. This is not the game you are looking for.

Nice work.
    Grats on the progress.
    I think this guy gets it.
  • Options
    Been playing since Jan 3rd, 2016. Just ticked over 2.3m GP and within 3 shards of getting my 100th 7* toon.

In truth, I'd hate to be starting the game from scratch right now. While I still enjoy it - and at times are very frustrated by it - its really the copious time investment made that prevents you from walking away.

Some aspects of the game are now a real chore - particularly if you're an officer or lead. TB and the incessant urge to have to farm certain, otherwise unimportant toons to get the newest shiny toy is making a number of my colleagues of similar if not longer tenure walk away.
  • Options
    I can't even imagine trying to encourage a new player to this game. What would I say? The characters are neat, but don't bother thinking you will ever be competitive. The gear grind is so absurd, it's hard to not consider quitting....so how could you possibly promote this game?
  • Options
    Now im not hating on lizzy because of how low he/she GP is...but when someone like that comes on the forums and talks all this talk without a roster to back it up is nothing but a sure sign of frustration and naivety about the game. Thats what i am laughing about and thats what i find insanely hilarious.
    Here's a sure sign.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/133241/the-direction-the-game-is-heading

Jeez, Louise. You must be projecting, 'cause I don't even remember the last time I was as upset as that about a videogame.

I beg to differ..number 1.2 lol. I bet you get mad everyday on this game...that's why you troll the forums..to relieve the stress that your 1.2GP roster gives ya lol.

It must really be a bummer to not finish GW everyday.

It must really be a bummer...to miss out on events.

It must really be a bummer...to not get rank one everyday in arena.

It must really be a bummer...when someone like me comes along and speaks a little truth that hurts the feelings.

Here's a tip.....take a break from the forums...and go work on your slightly less than 1.2 GP roster.
    Well, well, well. HeresTheTruth R.I.P. once again Just4Being2Real!! and apparently putting some other player's .gg profile in his signature to try to harass the guy.

Probably just got yourself banned on purpose to conceal your shameful posting history that revealed you as a big girl's blouse masquerading as a big boy's pants.
  • Options
    Ren_eh22 wrote: »
    I can't even imagine trying to encourage a new player to this game. What would I say? The characters are neat, but don't bother thinking you will ever be competitive. The gear grind is so absurd, it's hard to not consider quitting....so how could you possibly promote this game?

@Ren_eh22
    I really don’t understand your point. New players go into new shards, full of... new players. They don’t need to be competitive with you or anybody who has been playing the game longer than you.

The gear grind is obviously an issue, but it is the same for everyone whether you’ve played the game for 2 days or since launch day. So really it’s a no issue. You can climb the ladder as quickly or as slowly as you like. I like to think of myself as a pretty dedicated F2P player and I started on 28th December 2016. I joined a Guild that helped me grow, it had 20 people and one lvl 85 player. It’s now got 50 people on board 40 lvl 85’s and I’m now the Guild Leader. I now have a GP that’s only 100k behind that of our original lvl 85 player. We’ve all got a real sense of achievement all round because we are growing as a Guild and all contribute similar amounts in TB/Raids and in Guild Activities. I’ve no doubt that new players would have a similar experience.

I don’t worry about how TI are doing in TB in comparison to my guild, in the same way I don’t worry about an account that has 100+ G12 toons, they have no bearing on my gameplay, I’m never going to face them so I just acknowledge their achievements and carry on my game.

With regard to stratified guilds, I firmly believe it’s great for the game. I hate the fact that people with a 500k total GP are demanding to get into a HAAT guild to ride someone else’s coat tails to GK. TB has helped to put a stop to it. GvsG will go one step further hopefully, if it’s anything like the GvsG from Clash of Clans. Because a ticket farmer will be a straight loss on offence and defence against a guild full of similarly matched accounts.

• Options

very good point when new content comes those guilds are the first to make changes with tb and upcoming game modes all members need to be of equal strength or will struggle
  • Options
    26 holo emitters needed by individual characters to get to GS 8.

The gear challenges need reworked to give gear players actually need. I would be cool with the daily challenge giving RNG gear accross all the gear needed.

Tier 1 grants random rare or hard to obtain GS6
    Tier 2 grants ramdim rare or hard to obtain GS7
    Etc
  • Options
    I couldn't imagine re-rolling at this point. Or being a new player for that matter.