Star Wars: The Last Jedi Spoiler thread

Replies

• She is definitely a Mary Sue .

The best movie director and best authors to make up backstory after the fact can't undo the Mary Sue.
    Two Time Golden Poo Award Winner
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    NicWester wrote: »
    DatBoi wrote: »
    A well written hero grows and learns after overcoming adversity.
    Well, golly, it sure is cool that everyone could make that determination after one movie, then.

Yes, and unless Lucasfilm pulls a rabbit out of a hat, its a pretty safe assumption. Because of how Rey’s character was established, none of the adversity she’ll have to face will be internal. Sure, she’ll have some difficult challenges to face, but if those challenges are supposed to reflect her internal growth, they’ll seem corny because currently, she doesn’t appear to need any growth.
  • mary-sue-meme.jpg
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • 4ed2cad9f9e6cb8bc2a2032e5013d343--star-wars--funny-star-wars.jpg
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • I think yes she is a Mary Sue but they are doing a twist on it where she is actually so powerful that she is finding it hard to control as she trains up meaning her sueness is actually causing her problems strangely enough.
  • While i do agree at least Luke and Anakin weren't able to use advanced force powers that mostly only Jedi Masters can use .
  • Wil
    140 posts Member
    The whole original post is hinged on someone being 100% positive Rey is a Skywalker? Lol ok.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Wil wrote: »
    The whole original post is hinged on someone being 100% positive Rey is a Skywalker? Lol ok.

No its not.

Only that the skywalkers broke all the rules for jedi & sith and every force user in being how record breaking powerful they are, because Anakin was spawned of the force itself and was essentially the force personified.

Now you take Rey:

1. Lets say she is not a Skywalker - it would be logically impossible for her to be as powerful or more so than the skywalkers PERIOD. The only loophole hear would be
    A - unless she was another creation of the force like Anakin; or
    B - The force WILLS her to be so powerful to re-shape the galalxy. The WIll of the force is absolute and nothing can come above that. Its like God.

2. Now lets say she is a Skywalker - this may explain some of her raw power, but what we have seen her do is not rival anything we have seen Luke or even Anakin/Vader do - she flat out beats them in terms of power and abilities at her level. If she is a Skywalker she would be a watered down version like Kylo, where Luke is more pure and Anakin is like 100% force - so this still does not explain Rey.

So if Rey is none of these things and is just a normal being with unexplained use of the force never seen before - then none of her entire character makes sense and she is simply a Mary Sue.
  • Well if she is a Skywalker hopefully she becomes strong and powerful and not a whiny little sissy like her predecessors
  • icanectc wrote: »
    Battlefront 2 gives details about Rey’s parents she’s not a skywalker

How much is the DLC where they tell you that?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    icanectc wrote: »
    Its in the core compaign story.

It is not confirmed that they are talking about Rey, and if they are, Leia was not Senator Organa's real daughter either. It is all still very much up in the air.

Plus a big movie reveal like that can not be given away in the plot of some video game either.

That's like saying the reveal of Vader being Luke's father was actually stated in a comic book at the time before the Empire Strikes Back hit theaters! - NO this is wrong. No one knew that Vader was Luke's dad. Not even the cast, including Mark Hamil, right up to the point where they began to shoot that scene. he was told only moments before that shot.

You think a video game would make this reveal? You are dreaming and its a red herring from Disney.
  • FierceRevan
    1315 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Boo wrote: »

It is not confirmed that they are talking about Rey, and if they are, Leia was not Senator Organa's real daughter either. It is all still very much up in the air.

Plus a big movie reveal like that can not be given away in the plot of some video game either.

That's like saying the reveal of Vader being Luke's father was actually stated in a comic book at the time before the Empire Strikes Back hit theaters! - NO this is wrong. No one knew that Vader was Luke's dad. Not even the cast, including Mark Hamil, right up to the point where they began to shoot that scene. he was told only moments before that shot.

You think a video game would make this reveal? You are dreaming and its a red herring from Disney.

yes, because it happened .
    Also because it isn't a reveal, it is backstory. Reveal implies a twist or surprise. Everyone wanted a surprise connection to Rey (including me, I was hoping for palpatine) but there isn't one. The last Jedi movie will not even mention her parents . You can't compare Vader/Luke reveal with Rey/Versio reveal
    Post edited by FierceRevan on
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

yes, because it happened .
    Also because it isn't a reveal, it is backstory. Reveal implies a twist or surprise. Everyone wanted a surprise connection to Rey (including me, I was hoping for palpatine) but there isn't one. The last Jedi movie will not even mention her parents . You can't compare Vader/Luke reveal with Rey/Versio reveal

Why not? Rey is the new Luke you know - its the same thing.

Leia was revealed to be Luke's brother and share in his parentage in ROTJ - that was a reveal to the fans, and it was something we already knew when seeing the PT years later.

You cannot say there is not a surprise reveal for Rey's parentage because the new movies are not out yet for you to make that call.

There is plenty of speculation - including from Daisy Ridley herself that her parents do get revealed - maybe this is another production twist or lie - who knows, certainly not you to make that call.
  • so long now that no one will be surprised or like who her parents are
  • I was also hoping for a Gallius Rax reference but it seems Disney really hates using content outside movies.

My money is on Rey Random, the Disney Princess

@Boo
  • UrbanSpacemanKAL
    2450 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    I am shocked, shocked that this thread ended like, zero arguements.

giphy.gif
  • @Boo
    As for outside movie media revealing something, what about when the phantom menace sound track came out before the movie and showed qui gon's death (funeral) in the title ?
  • I am shocked, shocked that this thread ended like, zero arguements.

giphy.gif

That scene is hilarious. "Now give me my winnings I'm leaving"
  • I am shocked, shocked that this thread ended like, zero arguements.

giphy.gif

That scene is hilarious. "Now give me my winnings I'm leaving"

I didn't think of that. The graphic only works for people who've seen the movie.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    @Boo
    As for outside movie media revealing something, what about when the phantom menace sound track came out before the movie and showed qui gon's death (funeral) in the title ?

Wasn't everyone expecting most people in the PT to die, considering they weren't in the OT? - including the likes of QGJ.

Not to mention QGJ took the Old Ben role, and clearly was meant to die. So the soundtrack didn't "spoil" anything for me - perhaps and **** who didn't know better might be upset or surprised.

The truth is, the sound track spoiled a movie moment we all guessed was coming sooner or later.

This is 100% different from a big reveal such as Vader is Luke's father or the identity of Rey's parents or anything of that sort. You simply cannot compare the two points. Apples and Oranges my friend.
  • I have no problem with Rey's superb learning abilities, maybe it is her speciality, to learn fast.
    Force learning. :)

I have problems with the megalomania. Bigger Deathstar, bigger AT-AT with stronger legs and weapons, now it seems Snoke will have a bigger flagship than Vader. If Snoke is more powerful than the Emperor I will be upset. I think the peak of the evil should be the Empire.

And no, I am not an OT worshipper. Not at all
  • they already said Snoke is stronger
  • APX_919
    2468 posts Member
    Fürkész wrote: »
    I have no problem with Rey's superb learning abilities, maybe it is her speciality, to learn fast.
    Force learning. :)

I have problems with the megalomania. Bigger Deathstar, bigger AT-AT with stronger legs and weapons, now it seems Snoke will have a bigger flagship than Vader. If Snoke is more powerful than the Emperor I will be upset. I think the peak of the evil should be the Empire.

And no, I am not an OT worshipper. Not at all

We know that Sidious/Palpatine is the most powerful Sith ever but that doesn't mean he was necessarily the most powerful Dark Sider ever. Snoke may be his equal, just below or just above in power.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I got it!

Rey is a SKYWALKER! - it makes some sense listen....

Luke & Leia hit it off, Han was in the way, but they hit it off until they realized they were brother and sister.

After Leia had Ben (Kylo) with Han, she still yearned for Luke. They had a passionate affair and Leia got pregnant.

Han discovered the affair and treated Leia horribly before running away from her - which is why he said to Maz "She doesn't want to see me".

Luke was ashamed and took himself into hiding. Ben Solo found out, fell to the darkside and destroyed Luke's jedi academy in a tantrum.

Leia wanted rid of the constant rememberence in her life of what she did and what has happened (Rey) so abandoned her on Jakku.

This is why Rey is more powerful than Kylo - he is only 1/2 Skywalker, where Rey is 100% Skywalker!

Ta dah!!!
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited December 2017

Whoa really you finished the campaign and came away with nah they ain’t talking about Rey. Whoa. And I absolutely believe Disney would put this in a video game to drive sales. Disney is no fool and has done a fantastic job of aligning the SW universe extremely well. They have their hand on the pulse of all development. So yea I absolutely think they did this reveal in this game. It could have been there strategy the whole time. They do want to make money on as many fronts as possible. Once I learned the campaign had plots from TFA I bought it. I’ll bite on your statement it wasn’t specifically stated.

But reading between the lines I’m okay with her parentage being those two characteristics and gives her a great backstory parents who once blinded by the empire switching sides and fighting for good. Imagine what Rey would do if she learned her parents fought the empire to the bitter end all for making sure their daughter survived and for the good of the universe. You think she has a fire in her now! Pfft!

Awwww - I was hoping someone would reply on my Luke + Leia = love child Rey theory, lol

I don't know - who knows. I think it is a poor reveal in a video game when it was such a movie question - not everyone enjoying the movies will play computer games or read comics etc, so I feel (if it is true) that is a bit of a cop out. Not to mention Daisy Ridley said that the identity of her parents was obvious - long before the release of BF2 - things can change I know, but just seems weird.

Don't get me wrong though - I enjoyed the story and new characters introduced from BF2, I just don't think that them as her parents explain why she is powerful in the force. The first question QGJ asked Shmi (being intrigued by sensing how powerful Anakin was and standing next to Shmi, who clearly was not force sensitive) was who is his father?

Luke is strong in the force because of his father - strength in the force is in the bloodlines - its just a bit weird that her parents do not seem force sensitive. Gifted and talented in their roles (just like Han Solo or Poe is) but they are not force users, ya know what I mean?

At the end of BF2's campaign it does say that the story will continue to DLC or something - so I am interested to see how that plays out, along side the release of TLJ

• 'Last Jedi' Actress Daisy Ridley Confirms the Extent of Rey's Powers

Luke Skywalker seems awfully afraid of Rey’s raw power in Star Wars: The Last Jedi trailers so far. But actress Daisy Ridley confirmed in an interview exactly how powerful she thinks her character is when compared to other popular Jedi from Star Wars. One character she thinks Rey is definitely more powerful than? Samuel L. Jackson’s Mace Windu — who definitely isn’t Snoke, by the way.

In a rapid-fire video interview with Collider published Wednesday, Ridley compared Rey’s Force powers to those of other Force-wielders from Star Wars, namely Mace Windu, Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, and Palpatine.

She rather quickly stated that Yoda and Obi-Wan were more powerful than Rey, but Ridley felt the question was more complicated when she was compared to Dark side users. “I think power is a good thing,” she says in the video before admitting Rey was more powerful than Anakin.

She dodged the comparison to Palpatine a little bit, saying, “Take into account that I don’t know that much about Star Wars.”

Now can we all agree she is a Mary Sue?
This discussion has been closed.