[Mega] An Ancient Journey of Redemption

Replies

• Jeric
    271 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    i feel really bad for the devs working OT because they are adamant on releasing the character with no time to work on him

And the chances are that the OT push is going to lead to mistakes with a limited QA test afterward. People will be paying huge sums and will likely wind up with a buggy character requiring a hotfix.

• Jeric
    271 posts Member
    wrekincruw wrote: »
    No don't delay anything everyone had more than enough time to farm if they prioritized right. The ants that sacrificed summer should not have to wait because of the grasshoppers played. Everyone knew revan would come, we all had equal opportunity to farm all the needed toons. So that whole it isnt fair and only whales can get required toons is a poor excuse for choosing to farm other than Old republic. Too bad suck it up, next round boys.

By more than enough time to farm, I'm assuming you mean enough time to have pulled out your credit card. Because I have farmed t3 and mission since they dropped to cantina with 3 refreshes almost every day and am nowhere near being ready. And I get a fair amount of crystals from being in the top 10 in both arenas consistently.

So you can not want the event postponed because you bought your way to being ready but don't insult our intelligence by claiming that everyone had plenty of time to farm them.

The point of f2p or spending is irrelevant. We all had the opportunity to get them. Whales can only gain advantage so much in this game and f2p can only gain so much advantage in this game. If you do not support this game in anyway other than sucking resources. You should not have access to everything. That goes for me also, because I wont get revan this go, but I had the chance as everyone else did, stop blaming whales and devs for your decisions and lack of financing for your leisure activities. Nobody complained chewbacca was a F2P. #blametheworldificantgetafreeride

Read all the complaints. It isn’t a FTP vs PTP issue. The issue for many is that this particular release is a steeper barrier to entry than all previous major character events (Legendary and Heroes Journey). I paid for Bastilla and some for Jollee expecting it would help with the obvious Revan release. I’m PTP, and if this was set up like any of the other events I’d be fine. My situation is common among medium spenders, and as a paying customer our complains are valid.

Either way it looks like Revan was not pleasing play testers so it’s a major concern. They announced the date without solidifying that the release was ready to be pushed. Bad planning all around.
  • Tsuo_Vook
    62 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Y'know, I feel like I don't really understand what's getting many of you guys so worked up on this. If they're doing some final week rework on the character, so what?

From a design standpoint, the centerpiece elements of his kit are probably locked in place. He's likely to have a new mechanic of some sort that's a centerpiece to his kit, a la Thrawn, the Triumvirate, and Chewbacca. He's likely to have some interesting unique mechanics and some synergy elements. These are things the team would have planned out well in advance. They'll have decided on a role they want him to fill, and their work will have been directed at that.

What we're probably talking about here is, essentially, a medium-size balance rework. If the report before is to be believed, playtesting is indicating he's not doing quite what they want (which is why you do playtesting, obviously—i.e. the system is working as intended). There's a good chance he's missing their mark enough that they want the ability to do small modifications to the kit instead of just rebalancing his stats. But we're probably talking about things like secondary effects on basic, max upgrade percentages, etc. Enough rework that CG wants to hold off on a kit reveal so they can muck around with details. It's not like they don't have Revan kitted out, or like their kit on him is going to undergo drastic changes this weekend. (Frankly, the reason they're supposedly working this weekend probably has less to do with the timeframe for the event, more to do with the timeframe for the kit reveal.)

Maybe I'm wrong about the level of work to do—but I seriously doubt it. CG generally gets things right. They've done a couple NS reworks recently when characters weren't doing what they wanted, but one of these was basically an emergent behavior issue (NS acolyte) and the other was an issue where players figured out they could get an advantage playing a character differently than intended (Zombie). Characters in this game don't launch with severe balance issues; balance issues show up rarely after considerable community play. They've got a beta system that's working as intended—and they've got time to mess with the kit / stats before the launch, as they've planned for. It sounds like they may want a little extra time for that over the weekend. That's fine, and not particularly weird.

Jedi Revan will be fine. They've put a ton of work into this, and they're going to try their absolute best to deliver the experience they want with him. Not all of us will get him on the first run. But if we care enough we'll get him in the next 3-6 months—and there'll probably only be a few of them per shard anyway, so they're unlikely to completely unbalance the arena even if he is meta-defining. And if he's only meta-competitive instead of meta-dominant (which is fine by me, because Traya takes a much more significant investment of resources) even that won't matter too much.

CG often makes decisions we're not all happy with, but at the end of the day most of us still really enjoy this game. The game is still going to be good, I'm still going to be happy to continue spending some money from time to time, and life will go on.
    Post edited by Tsuo_Vook on
  • It's just insane that they've said a character is coming, a desirable and highly sought after character and have dropped the packs and expect everyone to spend hundreds blind! No kit reveal, no details, nothing! It's crazy! I can't make an informed choice if I don't have the NECESSARY information!

Now add all the lackluster communication we've had and now knowing the testers are concerned that days before the event launches that the kit is not great for the investment players are making, has me worried.

It's poor planning, organisation whatever you want to call it, but it's bonkers wanting to drop money on something not yet seen!! Without any information, my wallet is now staying firmly shut, thanks for making the decision for me CG!
  • Tsuo_Vook wrote: »
    Y'know, I feel like I don't really understand what's getting many of you guys so worked up on this. If they're doing some final week rework on the character, so what?

From a design standpoint, the centerpiece elements of his kit are probably locked in place. He's likely to have a new mechanic of some sort that's a centerpiece to his kit, a la Thrawn, the Triumvirate, and Chewy. He's likely to have some interesting unique mechanics and some synergy elements. These are things the team would have planned out well in advance. They'll have decided on a role they want him to fill, and their work will have been directed at that.

What we're probably talking about here is, essentially, a medium-size balance rework. If the report before is to be believed, playtesting is indicating he's not doing quite what they want (which is why you do playtesting, obviously—i.e. the system is working as intended). There's a good chance he's missing their mark enough that they want the ability to do small modifications to the kit instead of just rebalancing his stats. But we're probably talking about things like secondary effects on basic, max upgrade percentages, etc. Enough rework that CG wants to hold off on a kit reveal so they can muck around with details. It's not like they don't have Revan kitted out, or like their kit on him is going to undergo drastic changes this weekend. (Frankly, the reason they're supposedly working this weekend probably has less to do with the timeframe for the event, more to do with the timeframe for the kit reveal.)

Maybe I'm wrong about the level of work to do—but I seriously doubt it. CG generally gets things right. They've done a couple NS reworks recently when characters weren't doing what they wanted, but one of these was basically an emergent behavior issue (NS acolyte) and the other was an issue where players figured out they could get an advantage playing a character differently than intended (Zombie). Characters in this game don't launch with severe balance issues; balance issues show up rarely after considerable community play. They've got a beta system that's working as intended—and they've got time to mess with the kit / stats before the launch, as they've planned for. It sounds like they may want a little extra time for that over the weekend. That's fine, and not particularly weird.

Jedi Revan will be fine. They've put a ton of work into this, and they're going to try their absolute best to deliver the experience they want with him. Not all of us will get him on the first run. But if we care enough we'll get him in the next 3-6 months—and there'll probably only be a few of them per shard anyway, so they're unlikely to completely unbalance the arena even if he is meta-defining. And if he's only meta-competitive instead of meta-dominant (which is fine by me, because Traya takes a much more significant investment of resources) even that won't matter too much.

CG often makes decisions we're not all happy with, but at the end of the day most of us still really enjoy this game. The game is still going to be good, I'm still going to be happy to continue spending some money from time to time, and life will go on.

I believe it is not about the character itself and the work they're doing on him. It is the announcement of this event, the lack of info and the narrow timeframe. We all p2p or f2p thought, that the notice was way too short. Then again, we hear that they still are working on the toon, that should be a massive and awesome release to all Revan fans. Obviously, there is some pressure on getting him right and it is a good thing they decide to not just reveal him, but to get him up to the hype he has.
    Obviously, as you stated they most certainly have most of it locked and just shuffling numbers.

Yet, it feels like a rush job and we know that EA has a loooooong history of games that feel rushed to throw them on the market early than they should be (e.g. looking at you Mass Effect: Andromeda). Sometimes delaying something to get it right is the right thing to do. Our current information is lacking as well, but now it doesn't really matter for some people as they will not get him; but again I believe that's also not the point. It is the sheer lack of information we have. The announcement was a mess because they didn't just call it what it is "Ancient Journey Event" with a similar layout as the "Hero's Journey Events". For various logical reasons -and reasons of consistency- we knew it could not be the way HJs and Legendaries have work before. Now, what they are doing is to make a bet. We know all the "special toons" have been awesome and good, yet we don't know anything about his kit, less than a week before it's scheduled release. Some might be on the edge of buying into it but are not sure if it is really worth it. In a competative game with pvp elements not knowing what you will get for your "resources" is indeed an issue. It is not about shaking your christmas present before Christmas Eve or something alike. You want to be and expect to be suprised by your xmas present. In this game I want to know what I "worked" or payed for.
  • Pasta wrote: »
    Guys as with almost all situations in life, money gives you more, since p2w are the ones that invest more in the game that means they should be able to get advantage from their investments.
    On the other side CG didn’t block access to Revan to p2p, they simply put it very very hard to get to p2p.
    I’m going to get Revan without spending 1 €, this is a game and I gambled! when bastila was release in July and all those notes about an “Ancient shipyard designed to create the most power fleet ever seen...” they were talking about the Starforge, there Darth Malak was defeated by revan, bastila was present too...my guess was that they were preparing for one of them so from that point on I decided to save arena crystals and started farming kotor chars as soon as they were Released. I made a bet and it paid off, options were made in order to gather so many cristals, in the end I’m a happy gambler :)

Bravo, but yet nothing paid off because character doesn't exist.
  • Pasta
    160 posts Member
    Enerdrizer wrote: »
    Pasta wrote: »
    Guys as with almost all situations in life, money gives you more, since p2w are the ones that invest more in the game that means they should be able to get advantage from their investments.
    On the other side CG didn’t block access to Revan to p2p, they simply put it very very hard to get to p2p.
    I’m going to get Revan without spending 1 €, this is a game and I gambled! when bastila was release in July and all those notes about an “Ancient shipyard designed to create the most power fleet ever seen...” they were talking about the Starforge, there Darth Malak was defeated by revan, bastila was present too...my guess was that they were preparing for one of them so from that point on I decided to save arena crystals and started farming kotor chars as soon as they were Released. I made a bet and it paid off, options were made in order to gather so many cristals, in the end I’m a happy gambler :)

Bravo, but yet nothing paid off because character doesn't exist.

True, not at the moment but soon there will be.

• Have they said when ARE the double drops begining or other help like that recent one of bounty hunters?
  • This is real btw....it explains a lot...oovhuxouwn6f.png
  • Benhur
    16 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Sorry guys but I agree with some people here. I'll have revan without spending a dime. When all Kotor characters came out it was ridiculously obvious that they were gonna be needed to unlock revan (come on even his wife was there). As soon as they become available in shipments I start spending all my arena rewarded Crystals on them. I finished them all a wee ago. Was it a gamble? Yes but a quite safe one at my point of view. So basically all this months you were using your crystals in other toons/gear while I was farming "useless" characters, I could regret but it turned to be a good call. So basically you could get it f2p if you took the risk and of course have enough arena incomes... just a thought. Of course it could still goes wrong, let see his kit.
  • Benhur wrote: »
    Sorry guys but I agree with some people here. I'll have revan without spending a dime. When all Kotor characters came out it was ridiculously obvious that they were gonna be needed to unlock revan (come on even his wife was there). As soon as they become available in shipments I start spending all my arena rewarded Crystals on them. I finished them all a wee ago. Was it a gamble? Yes but a quite safe one at my point of view. So basically all this months you were using your crystals in other toons/gear while I was farming "useless" characters, I could regret but it turned to be a good call. So basically you could get it f2p if you took the risk and of course have enough arena incomes... just a thought. Of course it could still goes wrong, let see his kit.

I did the same and it was not enough to get them all to 7* Mission and Saladbar are stuck close to 6*. Will I keep trying? Yes. Was I able to even get as close as you claim you did? No.
    Am I upset? No. Do I still believe this was a really bad show from CG in total? Yes. Did I spent all my crystal storage? Yes.

I would really like to see your droprates and how much crystals you stored and spent each day. Arena rankings?
  • Cossin wrote: »
    Benhur wrote: »

I did the same and it was not enough to get them all to 7* Mission and Saladbar are stuck close to 6*. Will I keep trying? Yes. Was I able to even get as close as you claim you did? No.
    Am I upset? No. Do I still believe this was a really bad show from CG in total? Yes. Did I spent all my crystal storage? Yes.

I would really like to see your droprates and how much crystals you stored and spent each day. Arena rankings?

Actually my drop rate was quite good besides T3 that was a disaster. And of course you have a point in the fact that I'm daily 1 in the regular arena and most of the times 1 in the ships as well (I hate ships so some days I forget about PO). So most days I get 1000 crystals, Probably is not feasible to get them all to 7* for any income less than 800 crystals a day let say?
  • Plus not sure if I was clear. I started buying shards from shipments way before the toons were farmeable. That were a lot of Crystal but gained me quite some time
  • Klaelbasher
    44 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    when do you release revans kit CG? First you forced this event out of blue with tight deadline and now expecting a blind spend to a toon that we dont even know what his kit is?
  • @CG_Carrie , I recall the following reddit post:
    For sure, we've been going round and round on the Marquee thing for a few months now. Going into this year, everything that we saw in data told us "wow, people really like Marquees!" and there were lots of reasons for that, but our first focus was to make sure there was predictability (remember how sometimes you could do the Marquee and wouldn't end up with a 3-star character? We wanted to get rid of all that uncertainty.

Then we get midway through the Solo squad and people aren't responding the way they did last year, but for a few different reasons and I will get into this in more detail when I write my memoir, but suffice to say, we knew we needed to look into it.

Now we had always planned to be bringing out more Legendaries and Heroes Journey "like" adventures in the second half of this year (and when I say half, our fiscal year starts April 1, so the Marquee march for me starts with Bossk), but the mistake I made is that we should have interspersed them more between the Marquees to give you guys a break.

The upside to this (and I'm not saying I would do this again the same way next year) - but the upside for you all is that with so many Marquees coming in the front half of the year, they will all be on the table by the time you could possibly need them (which as a part of the Character Release Cadence is something we are trying to be bullish about sticking to), and on the table longer than if you got Marquee - Marquee - Legendary that requires said Marquee (rinse, repeat).

Now it's Marquee - Marquee - Marquee (ad infinitum) and hopefully a decent amount of Legendaries and other fun stuff that you're already on track to farming. You guys are smart and we've laid clues, so umm, you know.

The most recent marquees required for the upcoming heroes journey were not on the table longer than prior models. As posted, an advantage of the marquee flood could have been more time for them on the tables to prep for the events that needed them. A good faith reading of the above post suggests exactly that. It is disappointing the promise of farming time was not kept.
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    All ya'll who keep bragging about how you read the tea leaves and tasted the wind and your personal prophet advised you correctly keep forgetting one thing:

There's a history in this game, and a very specific set of words they've given us to guide in lieu of absolute, unmistakable direction, called their release cadence.

Good on you for assuming that Old Republic would be necessary at some point. EVERYONE assumed this; it wasn't terribly difficult to predict. Stop acting like you're the world's greatest telepath because you read their minds.

The cadence insinuated due to the order of release, and what most people predicted (incorrectly sure, yadda yadda yadda) is that with Hunters up first, Solo would be next, and then Old Republic.

There would be ample time to farm at this point. Plenty of people are on the right path to wrapping up Solo at this point. A Lando pack right now would actually put me very nearly there, and that's just me.

Another 2 weeks would have my OR in roughly the same spot, give or take a few characters...looking at you, ridiculously shared Cantina nodes.

Stop pretending that you don't understand where this widespread community anger is coming from. Stop acting as if you're better than because you chose a different farm against the cadence. If they'd followed their own history and gone with a Solo event first, you might not be in the same position, since you, after all, so brilliantly focused all your efforts on OR without spending a dime, ya know?

Take that holier-than-thou elsewhere. Nobody buys it.

*eyeroll*
    Porgatory demands fresh souls.
  • Why are people upset about OT on 1 weekend especially before holiday season. Heck I remember those days I woulda volunteered for every hour I could get...1 weekend pfft ok? Maybe they dont mind ? Unless they are salary then sorry bro;(
  • I have made a video that might help if you're deciding on buying the faction packs.
    Hopefully it can help you decide if you wish to pull the trigger.
    https://youtu.be/a6XXz2msmh8
  • Any guesses when the kit reveal be next week? Wednesday or Thursday maybe?
  • greycloak wrote: »
    @CG_Carrie , I recall the following reddit post:
    For sure, we've been going round and round on the Marquee thing for a few months now. Going into this year, everything that we saw in data told us "wow, people really like Marquees!" and there were lots of reasons for that, but our first focus was to make sure there was predictability (remember how sometimes you could do the Marquee and wouldn't end up with a 3-star character? We wanted to get rid of all that uncertainty.

Then we get midway through the Solo squad and people aren't responding the way they did last year, but for a few different reasons and I will get into this in more detail when I write my memoir, but suffice to say, we knew we needed to look into it.

Now we had always planned to be bringing out more Legendaries and Heroes Journey "like" adventures in the second half of this year (and when I say half, our fiscal year starts April 1, so the Marquee march for me starts with Bossk), but the mistake I made is that we should have interspersed them more between the Marquees to give you guys a break.

The upside to this (and I'm not saying I would do this again the same way next year) - but the upside for you all is that with so many Marquees coming in the front half of the year, they will all be on the table by the time you could possibly need them (which as a part of the Character Release Cadence is something we are trying to be bullish about sticking to), and on the table longer than if you got Marquee - Marquee - Legendary that requires said Marquee (rinse, repeat).

Now it's Marquee - Marquee - Marquee (ad infinitum) and hopefully a decent amount of Legendaries and other fun stuff that you're already on track to farming. You guys are smart and we've laid clues, so umm, you know.

The most recent marquees required for the upcoming heroes journey were not on the table longer than prior models. As posted, an advantage of the marquee flood could have been more time for them on the tables to prep for the events that needed them. A good faith reading of the above post suggests exactly that. It is disappointing the promise of farming time was not kept.

This is exactly why people are ****. They specifically said in the post that all the marque events front loaded woukd mean the legendary events wouldn't come until they had been out longer than in the past.

Then they drop a legendary with less time than ever before. Based on what they had said, I expected revan in late November at the earliest.

• Roahn
    231 posts Member
    For those who will unlock Jedi Knight Revan this week congrats. For those that will not get Jedi Knight Revan stay calm don't get jealous and patiently wait for the next time around. For the whales that spend anywhere from $300 to $750 thank you for funding game. Peeps we really need to start asking the question of whether a toon is really worth that kind of money regardless of whale or f2p. Sure the game is funded but honestly they refuse to add or change the toons in stores only because so many of us have stored up currency in those stores. It's not our fault we've purchased and maxed star level for those toons.
  • Please give us double drops!!!
  • All ya'll who keep bragging about how you read the tea leaves and tasted the wind and your personal prophet advised you correctly keep forgetting one thing:

There's a history in this game, and a very specific set of words they've given us to guide in lieu of absolute, unmistakable direction, called their release cadence.

Good on you for assuming that Old Republic would be necessary at some point. EVERYONE assumed this; it wasn't terribly difficult to predict. Stop acting like you're the world's greatest telepath because you read their minds.

The cadence insinuated due to the order of release, and what most people predicted (incorrectly sure, yadda yadda yadda) is that with Hunters up first, Solo would be next, and then Old Republic.

There would be ample time to farm at this point. Plenty of people are on the right path to wrapping up Solo at this point. A Lando pack right now would actually put me very nearly there, and that's just me.

Another 2 weeks would have my OR in roughly the same spot, give or take a few characters...looking at you, ridiculously shared Cantina nodes.

Stop pretending that you don't understand where this widespread community anger is coming from. Stop acting as if you're better than because you chose a different farm against the cadence. If they'd followed their own history and gone with a Solo event first, you might not be in the same position, since you, after all, so brilliantly focused all your efforts on OR without spending a dime, ya know?

Take that holier-than-thou elsewhere. Nobody buys it.

*eyeroll*

You sound upset? Bad life choices huh? I do feel your pain you had a choice and chose wrong, and now you will have to play catchup with those who are smarter in their decisions and have a fatter piggy bank than you. Dont worry you'll get him 6 months or so from now.
  • greycloak wrote: »

This is exactly why people are ****. They specifically said in the post that all the marque events front loaded woukd mean the legendary events wouldn't come until they had been out longer than in the past.

Then they drop a legendary with less time than ever before. Based on what they had said, I expected revan in late November at the earliest.

Nobody told you to do that or confirmed that exact time for you. You assumed you assumed wrong unfortunately friend
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    words and such

cl1jcrby3a6v.gif

I'm really sad you didn't talk about grasshoppers and ants this time :'(

Porgatory demands fresh souls.
  • DarkHelmet1138
    3884 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    greycloak wrote: »

Nobody told you to do that or confirmed that exact time for you. You assumed you assumed wrong unfortunately friend

We get that you will get revan because you did nothing else from the moment they came out or you spent money. We get it..

Is it too much to expect to be able to take a dev post at their word. Apparently so. Like when they say the front loading of marques will lead to more time to farm them and then do the exact opposite. That is called lying where I come from. And they deserve to be called out for that.
  • Double drops won’t fix this issue because the rng sucks just as bad during a double drop as it does normally.

To fix issue:
    1. More time before event now that we know what’s needed.
    2. Double drops - it would help a little
    3. Better rng results in all nodes
    4. 50 to 60k crystals to farm all these toons in this short of time

And for anyone that hasn’t seen this. Plug your info in on this site and see what your cost is.
    http://www.swgoh.life/panic_kotor.html

In all no matter if you’re a whale or f2p it shouldn’t cost people a new mortgage to get 1 toon.

For me I’ll just farm them normally and if it takes a few events to pass then so be it. Being in debt to a game isn’t in my play book.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

I'm sorry, can you please highlight where they say "Longer than in the past"..... cause I'm not seeing it. Maybe this is not a direct quote and that remark is missing...

Also it seems like a fair point to point out that she is talking about being on the table longer than is it was marquee - marquee - Legendary, this is not a legendary.

I'm not trying to split hairs, but if we are going to quote people and use that as an example for why we should be upset about something, we should try to be upset about what they said, not a loose interpretation that we thought means something and it turns out we were wrong.
  • Kyno wrote: »

I'm sorry, can you please highlight where they say "Longer than in the past"..... cause I'm not seeing it. Maybe this is not a direct quote and that remark is missing...

Also it seems like a fair point to point out that she is talking about being on the table longer than is it was marquee - marquee - Legendary, this is not a legendary.

I'm not trying to split hairs, but if we are going to quote people and use that as an example for why we should be upset about something, we should try to be upset about what they said, not a loose interpretation that we thought means something and it turns out we were wrong.

I think he mainly refers to this part:

(emphasize added)

Even with the indention, it very much reads and implies that we would have at least the same amount of time than with Legendary Events "and other fun stuff you're already on track to farming". Yet, again this does indeed contradict what that post (if it is a direct quote from Carrie) actually says/implies.