[Mega] An Ancient Journey of Redemption

Replies

• greycloak
    119 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Kyno wrote: »
    greycloak wrote: »
    @CG_Carrie , I recall the following reddit post:
    For sure, we've been going round and round on the Marquee thing for a few months now. Going into this year, everything that we saw in data told us "wow, people really like Marquees!" and there were lots of reasons for that, but our first focus was to make sure there was predictability (remember how sometimes you could do the Marquee and wouldn't end up with a 3-star character? We wanted to get rid of all that uncertainty.

Then we get midway through the Solo squad and people aren't responding the way they did last year, but for a few different reasons and I will get into this in more detail when I write my memoir, but suffice to say, we knew we needed to look into it.

Now we had always planned to be bringing out more Legendaries and Heroes Journey "like" adventures in the second half of this year (and when I say half, our fiscal year starts April 1, so the Marquee march for me starts with Bossk), but the mistake I made is that we should have interspersed them more between the Marquees to give you guys a break.

The upside to this (and I'm not saying I would do this again the same way next year) - but the upside for you all is that with so many Marquees coming in the front half of the year, they will all be on the table by the time you could possibly need them (which as a part of the Character Release Cadence is something we are trying to be bullish about sticking to), and on the table longer than if you got Marquee - Marquee - Legendary that requires said Marquee (rinse, repeat).

Now it's Marquee - Marquee - Marquee (ad infinitum) and hopefully a decent amount of Legendaries and other fun stuff that you're already on track to farming. You guys are smart and we've laid clues, so umm, you know.

The most recent marquees required for the upcoming heroes journey were not on the table longer than prior models. As posted, an advantage of the marquee flood could have been more time for them on the tables to prep for the events that needed them. A good faith reading of the above post suggests exactly that. It is disappointing the promise of farming time was not kept.

This is exactly why people are ****. They specifically said in the post that all the marque events front loaded woukd mean the legendary events wouldn't come until they had been out longer than in the past.

Then they drop a legendary with less time than ever before. Based on what they had said, I expected revan in late November at the earliest.

I'm sorry, can you please highlight where they say "Longer than in the past"..... cause I'm not seeing it. Maybe this is not a direct quote and that remark is missing...

Also it seems like a fair point to point out that she is talking about being on the table longer than is it was marquee - marquee - Legendary, this is not a legendary.

I'm not trying to split hairs, but if we are going to quote people and use that as an example for why we should be upset about something, we should try to be upset about what they said, not a loose interpretation that we thought means something and it turns out we were wrong.

Sure.

Now we had always planned to be bringing out more Legendaries and Heroes Journey "like" adventures in the second half of this year (and when I say half, our fiscal year starts April 1, so the Marquee march for me starts with Bossk), but the mistake I made is that we should have interspersed them more between the Marquees to give you guys a break.
    The upside to this (and I'm not saying I would do this again the same way next year) - but the upside for you all is that with so many Marquees coming in the front half of the year, they will all be on the table by the time you could possibly need them (which as a part of the Character Release Cadence is something we are trying to be bullish about sticking to)

The first paragraph is talking about both legendaries and heroes journeys. The them seems to reference both (i.e. ...need them for Legendaries and Heroes Journey is reasonably implied from the opening sentence of the prior paragraph)

Given those paragraphs, a reasonable question is "how long will the marquees be on before we will need them, which CG_Carrie addresses immediately through example.

, and on the table longer than if you got Marquee - Marquee - Legendary that requires said Marquee (rinse, repeat).

That the example of Marquee - Marquee - Legendary was chosen to demonstrate timeframe (i.e. how long we should expect to have the toons on the table before we need them), not to sharply delineate between the time marquees for legendaries would be around vs. the time for marquees for HJ's.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Cossin wrote: »
    For sure, we've been going round and round on the Marquee thing for a few months now. Going into this year, everything that we saw in data told us "wow, people really like Marquees!" and there were lots of reasons for that, but our first focus was to make sure there was predictability (remember how sometimes you could do the Marquee and wouldn't end up with a 3-star character? We wanted to get rid of all that uncertainty.

Then we get midway through the Solo squad and people aren't responding the way they did last year, but for a few different reasons and I will get into this in more detail when I write my memoir, but suffice to say, we knew we needed to look into it.

The upside to this (and I'm not saying I would do this again the same way next year) - but the upside for you all is that with so many Marquees coming in the front half of the year, they will all be on the table by the time you could possibly need them (which as a part of the Character Release Cadence is something we are trying to be bullish about sticking to), and on the table longer than if you got Marquee - Marquee - Legendary that requires said Marquee (rinse, repeat).

Now it's Marquee - Marquee - Marquee (ad infinitum) and hopefully a decent amount of Legendaries and other fun stuff that you're already on track to farming. You guys are smart and we've laid clues, so umm, you know.

The most recent marquees required for the upcoming heroes journey were not on the table longer than prior models. As posted, an advantage of the marquee flood could have been more time for them on the tables to prep for the events that needed them. A good faith reading of the above post suggests exactly that. It is disappointing the promise of farming time was not kept.

This is exactly why people are ****. They specifically said in the post that all the marque events front loaded woukd mean the legendary events wouldn't come until they had been out longer than in the past.

Then they drop a legendary with less time than ever before. Based on what they had said, I expected revan in late November at the earliest.

I'm sorry, can you please highlight where they say "Longer than in the past"..... cause I'm not seeing it. Maybe this is not a direct quote and that remark is missing...

Also it seems like a fair point to point out that she is talking about being on the table longer than is it was marquee - marquee - Legendary, this is not a legendary.

I'm not trying to split hairs, but if we are going to quote people and use that as an example for why we should be upset about something, we should try to be upset about what they said, not a loose interpretation that we thought means something and it turns out we were wrong.

I think he mainly refers to this part:

(emphasize added)

Even with the indention, it very much reads and implies that we would have at least the same amount of time than with Legendary Events "and other fun stuff you're already on track to farming". Yet, again this does indeed contradict what that post (if it is a direct quote from Carrie) actually says/implies.

That is my point, implies is not states. at no point to they mention timing. just that they will be available for farming. Farming also includes the time they are in the store and can be purchased for crystals.

how we interpret what someone says usually includes our own perspective and desires, which is fine, but we should be mindful about how we force this interpretation onto the other party involved.

Sure.

The upside to this (and I'm not saying I would do this again the same way next year) - but the upside for you all is that with so many Marquees coming in the front half of the year, they will all be on the table by the time you could possibly need them (which as a part of the Character Release Cadence is something we are trying to be bullish about sticking to)

The first paragraph is talking about both legendaries and heroes journeys. The them seems to reference both (i.e. ...need them for Legendaries and Heroes Journey is reasonably implied from the opening sentence of the prior paragraph)

Given those paragraphs, a reasonable question is "how long will the marquees be on before we will need them, which CG_Carrie addresses immediately through example.

, and on the table longer than if you got Marquee - Marquee - Legendary that requires said Marquee (rinse, repeat).

That the example of Marquee - Marquee - Legendary was chosen to demonstrate timeframe (i.e. how long we should expect to have the toons on the table before we need them), not to sharply delineate between the time marquees for legendaries would be around vs. the time for marquees for HJ's.

I see what you mean, but these 2 events do have very different characteristics and it is possible that we are implying something that is not stated for a specific reason. the first paragraph doesn't necessarily fully translate to the next, which is why they are presented as separate paragraphs. having "them" on the table before they could possibly be needed, could mean both, i understand, but this also doesnt' state anything about timing, and from the dev perspective, the store is considered farmable, which is likely part of the timing they consider.

again, i am not trying to mitigate anyone feeling upset about the situation, just trying to keep in perspective that stating anyone "lied" or was misleading and quoting them, we should all keep in mind that unless it is explicitly stated, we are adding in our own spin and should be mindful of this.

sometimes we read into things the way we want, and it doesn't always pan out.
  • Kyno wrote: »

I take on the table longer to mean farmable longer since they are farmed from tables. And your point about it technically not being a legendary is splitting hairs.

I'm normally defending the devs against a lot of the complaints right there with you but the above post is misleading and should be addressed.

(emphasize added)

Even with the indention, it very much reads and implies that we would have at least the same amount of time than with Legendary Events "and other fun stuff you're already on track to farming". Yet, again this does indeed contradict what that post (if it is a direct quote from Carrie) actually says/implies.

That is my point, implies is not states. at no point to they mention timing. just that they will be available for farming. Farming also includes the time they are in the store and can be purchased for crystals.

how we interpret what someone says usually includes our own perspective and desires, which is fine, but we should be mindful about how we force this interpretation onto the other party involved.

Sure.

I see what you mean, but these 2 events do have very different characteristics and it is possible that we are implying something that is not stated for a specific reason. the first paragraph doesn't necessarily fully translate to the next, which is why they are presented as separate paragraphs. having "them" on the table before they could possibly be needed, could mean both, i understand, but this also doesnt' state anything about timing, and from the dev perspective, the store is considered farmable, which is likely part of the timing they consider.

again, i am not trying to mitigate anyone feeling upset about the situation, just trying to keep in perspective that stating anyone "lied" or was misleading and quoting them, we should all keep in mind that unless it is explicitly stated, we are adding in our own spin and should be mindful of this.

yeah i can see where more time can be interpreted to mean less time than ever before. No, not really.
  • KyJoe_Cool
    1873 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Anton23 wrote: »
    Please give us double drops!!!

Doesn't have to be double. Could be triple... or quadruple... I'm not too picky. :tongue:
    Massive SWGOH Community On Discord - https://discord.gg/QWvTUBZ
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    On the table can only mean on the nodes. Kyno needs to defend them, he always will do so and that's fine, but let's not pretend they meant anything else.

Farmable = stores; sure. No denying that.

But on the table is a pretty clear suggestion that they'll be on nodes to farm...and that's where folks are getting it twisted. It's been spelled out over and over.

The insinuation was strong that they'd be on the table (nodes) longer than before thanks to a direct statement...something we aren't likely to get again because of this debacle.

/shrugs

Porgatory demands fresh souls.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    On the table can only mean on the nodes. Kyno needs to defend them, he always will do so and that's fine, but let's not pretend they meant anything else.

But on the table is a pretty clear suggestion that they'll be on nodes to farm...and that's where folks are getting it twisted. It's been spelled out over and over.

The insinuation was strong that they'd be on the table (nodes) longer than before.

/shrugs

I dont need to do anything, but according to that statement they are following the cadence. they did. They stated they will be on the table before we need them, they were. That statement has no misleading information. anyone interpreting this to mean they would have had more time, is unfortunately putting a spin on it that is simply not stated. what we think something "suggests" is our interpretation.

being upset over the short farming time, has nothing to do with that statement.
  • Also still waiting to hear from @CG_SBCrumb about that whole "no timeline for return" thing, in contrast to Carrie's statements about having everything planned out far in advance.

Is everything planned out far in advance to not include another Revan, or have ya'll not planned that far out yet? How far out are ya'll planned? Cuz you both said "no timeline" as well as "will return"...which is it?

Would you please clarify for the inquiring minds?
  • There you go again splitting hairs and trying to force logic from a statement that's already pretty clear. There's no need to repeat it, it's been done ad nauseam and we all know what she said.

That's why I said you'll always defend them.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

It's just not the way most of the rest of us seem to see it.
  • Also still waiting to hear from @CG_SBCrumb about that whole "no timeline for return" thing, in contrast to Carrie's statements about having everything planned out far in advance.

Likely 3-6 months. Wasn’t CLS 6 months? Pretty sure JTR was three.

I’ll say 3 months killed JTRs value and she faded in arena quickly because of it. CLS was closer to 6 and he dominated in that era while fewer people had him, and there was no toon that was as powerful as he was. I know they won’t do it but revan should be 9 months. Because the community vitriol is flagrant.

The insinuation was strong that they'd be on the table (nodes) longer than before.

/shrugs

I dont need to do anything, but according to that statement they are following the cadence. they did. They stated they will be on the table before we need them, they were. That statement has no misleading information. anyone interpreting this to mean they would have had more time, is unfortunately putting a spin on it that is simply not stated. what we think something "suggests" is our interpretation.

Do they pay you to defend them on the forums? Seriously with the hoops you have to jump through to do so, you deserve a paycheck for that.

Yes, they are technically on the table before the event. And they don't use the words more time. But I bet 90% or more people interpreted it to mean that. When you are running a company that is asking people to soend their money and plan based on your statements, your statements need to be clear.

This one clearly was not and ended up being misleading to many of the player base.
  • deadaelus wrote: »

You're assuming again, though. Assuming is what got us into this mess, assuming their cadence would follow a logical release structure.

Crumb clearly said "no timeline for return". He also said there'll be another chance to go at it.

Carrie clearly said they have everything planned out far in advance which is why changing their schedules is harder than it seems...or something to that effect. I don't recall the exact quote.

Either there is a plan for his return, or there isn't. I'm seeking clarification. They're talking against each other if it's in the short term. So how far out is his return?
  • deadaelus wrote: »
    Also still waiting to hear from @CG_SBCrumb about that whole "no timeline for return" thing, in contrast to Carrie's statements about having everything planned out far in advance.

I’ll say 3 months killed JTRs value and she faded in arena quickly because of it. CLS was closer to 6 and he dominated in that era while fewer people had him, and there was no toon that was as powerful as he was. I know they won’t do it but revan should be 9 months. Because the community vitriol is flagrant.

Jtr coming back sooner didn't kill her effectiveness in arena. That was due to more meta changing toons coming out since then.

/shrugs

Defending these statement is not a good look imo. She knew how they would be interpreted or at the very least should have known. She is the voice/face of the company and she has also commented on her regret for talking about stuff and making statements that either would never come to fruition or were stretches of the truth. I mean look at the qoute in context. She was defending their aweful marque iverkoad schedule. What's a good defense for overloading us with marques? By claiming we will have plenty of time to farm them for future events. She made a promise that either wasn't in her power to keep, knew she was making these less than truthful statements, or was blatently miss leading everyone.
  • Cossin
    301 posts Member
    edited October 2018

I do agree with you on that point regarding timelines. To be fair, though: if a majority of the readers misinterpret what has been stated, the statement itself might be too misleading.

What I tried to achieve with the added emphasize was to show that there is a direct relation between the events and farming and this is where I guess we have to agree to disagree (at least to my knowledge how farming and the usage has been formed and defined):
    Afaik there is no offical lexica entry for "online farming" or similar, thus a definition by my own design, which also overlaps with inofficial explanations:

Farming in essence is a habit in online gaming which is either done by the player him/herself or is outsourced to another payed individual person, while oneself is offline (often forbidden nowadays). As from the working field this analogy has been drawn from, farming involves repetative actions inside a game that generates a certain kind of currency (shards, ingame money, XP, ...) which in eventually leads to further direct or indirect progress in game. E.g. on SWGoH you keep on doing the same node until you reached the desired threshold to increase level, starlevel, unlock a character, etc....

Keeping that analogy in mind, buying shards in the store is not farming but walking to the next supermarket and buying the vegetables you desire. Therefore farming =/= buying. Thus, I wonder: where do you draw your assumption that farming includes store time from? (Honestly, I do not mean to disrespect you or something like that in any way. It could have been stated before by the Devs or something and I missed it)

(I hope I do not come across as too direct or plain rude sometimes. I am not a native speaker and sometimes my country's culture more direct approach might shine through, rather than working with nuances.)

• NicWester wrote: »
    Olddumper wrote: »
    Plain and simple.. CG is a business here to make money and they are going to make a good deal of it on revan. If you think they should make a toon of this magnitude available without spending money you are ignorant or a child. If you want Revan the first time around then quit complaining and open your wallet. Otherwise just keep grinding and you will get him the second time around.

Whales: have all the KOTOR toons ready before this dropped
    Mild spenders: are not even close to try
    f2p: are toast

How exactly will they make money? Who is snatching up 6 or 7 vaults to do this event?

You’re thinking of it wrong. They already *made* the money. They made the money when those characters came out and the so-called whales bought them (I hate the term “whale,” by the way, it’s a jealous perjorative used by people who can’t afford to spend but want to feel morally superior like not spending is a choice they madde instead of a circumstance they just happen to be in).

Where does jealousy come from with the use of this term?

Did it ever occur to you that there are plenty of people who can afford to spend money but simply choose not to? Just because someone has the means to spend considerable amounts of money on the game doesn't mean that they are going to. Some people even if they can afford it have a hard time justifying spending on this game because what they get in return is often not equal to the cost. Others simply don't care enough to spend or just simply choose not to. Just because people can afford to do something doesn't mean they are going to or willing to spend their money on it.

Also, a whale isn't necessarily a wealthy individual...plenty of people have credit cards with large limits and have addictive personalities, but are by no means wealthy. To make such an assumption and then to assert that people who use the term whale are jealous is rather ignorant. Sorry just my 2 cents.
  • wrekincruw wrote: »
    wrekincruw wrote: »
    No don't delay anything everyone had more than enough time to farm if they prioritized right. The ants that sacrificed summer should not have to wait because of the grasshoppers played. Everyone knew revan would come, we all had equal opportunity to farm all the needed toons. So that whole it isnt fair and only whales can get required toons is a poor excuse for choosing to farm other than Old republic. Too bad suck it up, next round boys.

Please enlighten everyone on how you "farmed" 3 hard node toons and 2 cantina toons in less then a month. NO ONE had time to farm these toons. You either bought these toons when they where marquee, bought crystals to get these toons in shipments, or was physic and stock piled 10s of thousands crystals over several months.

These toons have been farmable for more than a month, if your drop rate bites that's one thing but dont claim you couldn't farm them.

Actually Bastilla and Jolee dropped on Sept 12th (1 month + 1 day) and T3, Mission and Bao have only been farmable for 18 days ( released Sept 26th ) I get could have sacrificed all crystals on them prior in shipments but even then at an average of 450 crystals a day from arenas 18 days isn't enough time to farm the rest needed for 7*. I also had about 3k in crystals saved before they dropped in shipments and this still would cost me about $250.

• The cadence of this Event is absolutely unclear! Their wording is very malicious if we read closely. Its NOT a legendary and its NOT a "Heroes Journey" - Its an ancient Journey of Redemption - There is no word officially stating that its a HJ, therefore this event is not bound to cadences they released previously and they did that on purpose. So we dont know when this event comes back - could be 2 months, could be 6 months, could be a year, maybe longer!

That they´re doing this on top what their´re already doing is unacceptable!

The only way they will give out a cadence for this is by a huge community demand.

(emphasize added)

Sure.

Something is, in fact said about timing.
    ..., and on the table longer than if you got Marquee - Marquee - Legendary that requires said Marquee (rinse, repeat).

That is a state followed by comparison to a time. The state is on the table . The comparison is longer than . The time is a Marquee - Marquee - Legendary that requires said Marquee . The time could have been two weeks/a month/a year, but the author chose not to.

If there is evidence that the KOTOR toons (all of them) have been on the table longer than the prescribed time, present it.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

(emphasize added)

Sure.

..., and on the table longer than if you got Marquee - Marquee - Legendary that requires said Marquee (rinse, repeat).

That is a state followed by comparison to a time. The state is on the table . The comparison is longer than . The time is a Marquee - Marquee - Legendary that requires said Marquee . The time could have been two weeks/a month/a year, but the author chose not to.

If there is evidence that the KOTOR toons (all of them) have been on the table longer than the prescribed time, present it.

But as I said, if you want to take that literally, then it doesnt apply in this scenario because this is not a Legendary.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

I do agree with you on that point regarding timelines. To be fair, though: if a majority of the readers misinterpret what has been stated, the statement itself might be too misleading.

What I tried to achieve with the added emphasize was to show that there is a direct relation between the events and farming and this is where I guess we have to agree to disagree (at least to my knowledge how farming and the usage has been formed and defined):
    Afaik there is no offical lexica entry for "online farming" or similar, thus a definition by my own design, which also overlaps with inofficial explanations:

Farming in essence is a habit in online gaming which is either done by the player him/herself or is outsourced to another payed individual person, while oneself is offline (often forbidden nowadays). As from the working field this analogy has been drawn from, farming involves repetative actions inside a game that generates a certain kind of currency (shards, ingame money, XP, ...) which in eventually leads to further direct or indirect progress in game. E.g. on SWGoH you keep on doing the same node until you reached the desired threshold to increase level, starlevel, unlock a character, etc....

Keeping that analogy in mind, buying shards in the store is not farming but walking to the next supermarket and buying the vegetables you desire. Therefore farming =/= buying. Thus, I wonder: where do you draw your assumption that farming includes store time from? (Honestly, I do not mean to disrespect you or something like that in any way. It could have been stated before by the Devs or something and I missed it)

(I hope I do not come across as too direct or plain rude sometimes. I am not a native speaker and sometimes my country's culture more direct approach might shine through, rather than working with nuances.)

If all those people want the same thing, it would make sense that they interpret it that way. That doesnt make it the intent of the statement, nor does it make that statement misleading. The common thread there could be the people wanting something and not the statement itself.
  • They never said on the table but said farmable i see it as any where you can get the shards even if its in the store for crystals could have acquired the shards from there not sure on when they hit the store but probably a month before being on nodes as to be "farmable"

(emphasize added)

Sure.

But as I said, if you want to take that literally, then it doesnt apply in this scenario because this is not a Legendary.

Where is the change from Legendary and Heroes Journey to only Legendary in the text?
  • greycloak wrote: »

Where is the change from Legendary and Heroes Journey to only Legendary in the text?

He's nitpicking and making the case that because this is a new event type - "Ancient Hero's Journey", that it doesn't apply. Whatever it takes to defend the guys and gals in charge.

If all those people want the same thing, it would make sense that they interpret it that way. That doesnt make it the intent of the statement, nor does it make that statement misleading. The common thread there could be the people wanting something and not the statement itself.

Well, couldn't there also be the possibility that it is written like that on purpose? With the to be expected reaction in mind? I mean that also is the reason why ads are sometimes misleading, yet they are intentionally that way. I would call that marketing tricks or marketing shenanigangs. Obviously, they are a company and what they do is to earn money. But doesn't this even negate their previous statements, especially in regards to farming and what they stated they would want to try and be better at?

(Additionally, I would like to come back to the notion of farming, that you left open. Do you really regard shipments as farming?)
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I'd agree with you; it absolutely was written on purpose, carefully. We just didn't know it at the time. Just go back to Carrie's statement where she mentioned Legendaries and Hero's Journey (like) events. That (like) is not repeated in her this > this > that structure.

She absolutely knew what she was saying, and how duplicitous it was by virtue of being in the know that a brand new event type was coming with very little time between final node release and event initiation.

We all read her congenial demeanor and overall outreach, and the message of pivoting towards a more player friendly structure, and never saw something like this coming at all.

Which yet again, explains why the community is reacting as it is.

People can try and rationalize it however they want but they're just being homers and contradictory for the sake of it. Any logical person should be able to comprehend it, and most of them do.

Why do you think the Devs are being so quiet about all of this?

They absolutely knew what they were doing, they know what they've done, and they knew it would happen.

**I don't mean to sound as if I'm attacking her; I'm trying to explain why the player-base feels misled.
  • Well, this event has definitely prevented me from being a casual regular spender from now on... I sort of expected this to be similar to Thrawn and needing Phoenix... boy, was I mistaken! $50 not wisley spent on the initial packs...my loss... but also my gain, as I will absolutely not spend any more on this game.. I'll play for sure, as I enjoy it and the guild I'm in... but that's it for spending.
  • KnightofCybertorn99
    67 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I know that many of us are upset of how Revan is being released like this.So I'm here to settle this Conterversy about Revan.So as I see all the comments on the Forums and YouTube I see one thing and one thing only we will sadly NOT get JKR this time around.So I believe that Revan will come back Early 2019 so maybe Late February or the beginning of March same with CLS.So ladies and gentlemen of the Galaxy make sure your OR Characters are ready for when this Legend will return.
  • Another one of these threads? Just stop already. CG_Carrie said marquee events would allow people the time to get get the shards for characters and gear them up. We determined that was a lie.