"No Defenses Set" in Grand Arena [MERGE]

Replies

• Options
    I don't know if this has been mentioned, but why not create a feature that automatically set defences if a node is unfilled, using random toons. Then that player has to suffer the fact they didn't set a preferred defence (and also loses those characters in attack). Its unfair that they are getting credits and working towards quests without playing the game as intended. Twice in a row I've not been able to play, which also distracts from a potentially fun game mode.

And with regards to matchmaking, I think they've done a pretty amazing job getting the GP so close.
  • Options
    gusyud wrote: »
    I used my best team for defense, but was wiped out. on the opposing defense team 7 star and zetad revan and traya (which both I still haven't got), which I can't beat. it looks like my GP is too high because I increase the level of almost all characters to level 85 and 90% of my characters have been filled with mods so that when TW, my guild can get more points, but my characters are mostly not 7 star and and their abilities aren't zeta yet. It seems like I will not put up a defense in the next grand arena, I will only participate to get the 2nd prize.
    Yeah ur not supposed to lvl until u have a purpose for doing so like upgrade abilities and equipment. But when u just log in for rewards u will end up with a lot of credits to spare and find ur self doing this to increase gp the wrong way.
  • Eddiemundie
    1070 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Pearl wrote: »
    So if I set all 6 defences and my opponent did not...can he/she attact my defense squads still? If so, than my opponent will win because the points are much higher for offence than it is for defense. This doesn't seem fair if this is a possibility. Thank you, Pearl

U get 90 for setting defense, vs a max of 64 for an offense win. That’s 26 more, and that’s assuming he sends in ONE toon and wins FIVE toons and ends with MAX hp and protection. If no defenses are set, the opponent automatically conquers that territory and earns points, so no way will u lose.

Edit: Thought i edited this msg since i saw Pearl's later post, but apparently it didnt go thru. Retaining it for reference.
    Post edited by Eddiemundie on
  • Options
    2smooth wrote: »
    Just noticed as long as a player sets one zone no points r awarded for empty zones. I still won as I only have 2 zones but this type of stooping low tactics to try to win can be extremely exploited for those with more zones.

As u will give ur opponent more points for conquering zones and the battle points then u would earn from setting defense squads.

Won by like 30 points really don’t want to have to stoop this low to only setting one zone and seeing who can not lose health with battles or protection to get win.

I guess when whales meet F2P that outmatch them they have to call on extreme measures smh.

Huh?
  • Drim
    359 posts Member
    Options
    Ya my guy set no defense then msg me and said thanks for the credit and quest. I’m pretty much over the fact that the Devs haven’t responded on this topic thanks for the 2nd worst GA
  • Options
    Is there still no dev response on this issue? Folks trying to play the game as intended getting less rewards then trolls not setting a defense. I know if I developed a new game mode I would do something to protect its integrity.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    That is absolutely not false. Missing out on 700k credits and progress of quests is worse then the little bit of “winner rewards”. That’s not even mentioning the fact we are robbed of the actual playing of the event
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    I deleted my comment because I misread yours. With that said you'll finish the quests regardless, especially once the real event rolls out. And if you're at a high enough GP to set seven on D, do you really need 700k credits at this point? I have 35m at this point. The fact that this is more important that winner rewards is your subjective opinion.
  • Options
    My opponent had 2x as many G12 characters and looked like he/she would be a decent challenge, till I started inspecting each character and noticed 1 dot and 2 dot mods on arena team characters with little to no speed secondary not to mention primaries. Clearly has most of the meta squads for decent damage in raids and clearing all the TB combats, but for some reason is using critical avoidance and accuracy arrows on most of the well geared characters.

Anyways they did not set anything on defense. Which is a shame because this player clearly needs the rewards to work on mods if they ever hope to be competitive.
  • Options
    I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but not setting defenses goes against the spirit of the game, which CG says they value highly. So why should any player get rewards if they don't bother participating? By not setting defenses they ruin the GA experience of the other player.
  • Options
    This needs to be addressed by CG - it would be as simple as auto-setting defensive teams for a player that does not set defenses simply by selecting the highest power characters, i.e. team one 5 highest power heroes, team two 6-10 highest power heroes etc.
    A lot of people do not set defenses because a) they simply don’t care about the game mode but join to take the free rewards and complete quests themselves or b) they oppose the matchmaking (which will never be 100% fair as different players prioritize different team development strategies) and simply want to set a statement.
    The clear solution is to auto-set defenses for those that join GA but don’t set defenses themselves.
  • Options
    Pikkon89 wrote: »
    The clear solution is to auto-set defenses for those that join GA but don’t set defenses themselves.

And have the game then sabotage the best squads!

You have a Traya in your inventory? She just got put in as a non-leader in a squad with Ughnaught lead, your bottom 2 GP, and Boba Fett.

Instead of random squads, it should specifically break synergies and also disrupt the ability to use offense. Han, Traya, and GK will all be put on defense so you can't work on their quests, etc.

:)
  • Options
    jkray622 wrote: »

And have the game then sabotage the best squads!

:)

Of course not. Whenever the setup period is over and a player (Player A) has refused to set a defensive team but still wants to take advantage of the other player's (Player B) defense to complete quests, then Player A sabotages the progress of Player B which I think is not the intention of this game mode. Hence, when the system recognizes, that Player A did not set a defense during the setup period - that player should not be rewarded for sabotaging Player's B progress by allowing him to attack with the teams of his choice. As a matter of fact, I think at the very least Player B should not be allowed to attack if he has not set any defense squads. Regardless, if you refuse to set a defensive team then the game should assume you do not want to actively participate in GA and if you already (maybe by accident) joined GA at least set auto-defense squads for Player B to progress smoothly.
  • Options
    Auto-set a defense of one toon per area, starting with the highest GP toon, then 2nd highest, etc. When a person logs in to attack, they are not only near-certain to lose, but their best toons can no longer serve as leaders to or members of squads with synergy because they've already been used alone on defense.

The person who bothered to set a defense is **almost** guaranteed to win, though they could still forget to attack or whatever, but also they have structured their defenses and remaining characters such that it won't be a problem to accomplish their Quest goals, while the person with auto-set defenses may be missing specific toons (like Traya or Raid Han) that they would have preferred to use to accomplish quests on attack.

The fact that only 1 toon is used rather than a whole squad makes it easy for a careful player to win the victory preserves the dramatic advantage for the person who set defenses (though victory is, strictly speaking, no longer automatic) and they still get quest rewards.

This seems to me to be an appropriate consequence for failing to set a defense.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    That is absolutely not false. Missing out on 700k credits and progress of quests is worse then the little bit of “winner rewards”. That’s not even mentioning the fact we are robbed of the actual playing of the event

But it is false because
    1) you will complete your quests
    2) those 20 droids and extra 7 modulators is ridiculously better than 700k like 2k worth of extra guild currency stuff there...like a whole HSTR’s worth

Your statment that the LOSER gets better rewards id 100 percent false im sure the rewards for the expanded GA’s will probably be a lot better making your statement more false
  • Options
    Dk_rek wrote: »

But it is false because
    2) those 20 droids and extra 7 modulators is ridiculously better than 700k like 2k worth of extra guild currency stuff there...like a whole HSTR’s worth

Your statment that the LOSER gets better rewards id 100 percent false im sure the rewards for the expanded GA’s will probably be a lot better making your statement more false

Are you actually advocating being able to not set defenses or just wanting to debate semantics? I honestly can’t tell. Either way I think I’m entitled to my opinion on the value of credits and experiencing the new mode. Be gone trolls
  • Options
    Is this possibly a result of people who aren't active? Does the GA consider their last active status? Seems weird with higher GP, but I imagine there are a fair amount of 2-3 million GP who are inactive, I know of 3 previously in my shard chat in that GP range.
  • Options
    @Codinapkin

You have to join the GA, so inactive players will not join and will not be assigned an opponent.
  • Options
    I'd like to remind everyone that CG already explained the process of automatically setting your previously used defense (before Grand arena was even released). Having read this, when I got to the setup phase of my second Grand arena event, I was busy and figured I'd just let the game set my defense for me (since I DID manually fill up my defenses in my FIRST Grand arena). Before I went to bed, I checked back for attack phase and I had no defenses ever set, and an automatic loss. From someone who was aware of the intended mechanics, this experience was extremely frustrating and NOT intentional.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    rayzie wrote: »
    I'd like to remind everyone that CG already explained the process of automatically setting your previously used defense (before Grand arena was even released). Having read this, when I got to the setup phase of my second Grand arena event, I was busy and figured I'd just let the game set my defense for me (since I DID manually fill up my defenses in my FIRST Grand arena). Before I went to bed, I checked back for attack phase and I had no defenses ever set, and an automatic loss. From someone who was aware of the intended mechanics, this experience was extremely frustrating and NOT intentional.
    They said it will auto fill your defenses from the previous round in a tournament set. As in, autoset in Round 2 and Round 3. Both exhibition matches were 1 round matches.

You misunderstood and have only yourself to blame.

• Options
    I had defenses set for the first Granda Arena, but I forgot to set defenses for the second GA (I blame restarting Grand Arena in the middle of the weekend, I've got things to do on Saturday night and don't want to be awake on Sunday).... I messaged my opponent and apologized. Then proceeded to beat all of his teams and give him some tips on his defensive teams. Even though I cleared all his teams with ease and almost near full protection each time I was still roughly 200 points short of beating him, so setting no defense is not a good strategy.

However, I was under the impression that Grand Arena would automatically use your teams placed previously, so I'm curious as to why it didn't just do that from my first Grand Arena match for my second one? I had planned on switching them up for the different opponent, but I was surprised that even the teams from my first match didn't just get automatically applied. Wasn't that a big selling point of Grand Arena when they announced it?
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    @Vertigo read the post directly above yours.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    Vertigo wrote: »
    However, I was under the impression that Grand Arena would automatically use your teams placed previously, so I'm curious as to why it didn't just do that from my first Grand Arena match for my second one? I had planned on switching them up for the different opponent, but I was surprised that even the teams from my first match didn't just get automatically applied. Wasn't that a big selling point of Grand Arena when they announced it?
    Teams would be saved and set automatically between rounds. Both exhibition matches were 1 round matches.

The Grand Arena that begins tomorrow will have three rounds so the defenses you set in the first round will carry over
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    @Vertigo read the post directly above yours.
    Ultra wrote: »
    Vertigo wrote: »
    Teams would be saved and set automatically between rounds. Both exhibition matches were 1 round matches.

The Grand Arena that begins tomorrow will have three rounds so the defenses you set in the first round will carry over

Ah ok, read that too fast the first time through, either way I was planning on changing my defenses and simply forgot to do it lol. Felt bad for the guy I was facing.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    Dk_rek wrote: »

But it is false because

Are you actually advocating being able to not set defenses or just wanting to debate semantics? I honestly can’t tell. Either way I think I’m entitled to my opinion on the value of credits and experiencing the new mode. Be gone trolls

Not advocating anything in concern to your post. You made a statment that the losers get better rewards. Thats false.... although it was less apparent in first two events...

Im sure you feel differently now considering the 80 cuff difference from 1 to 8.
    Or is basic math still trolling ????
  • BeralCator
    791 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    If you are severely outmatched, I don't see much value in setting a defense so that your opponent gets more gear/credits/mats. That's only going to amplify the disparity, right?

If you're going to design a game mode where 25% of your player base is going to lose nearly every match, don't be surprised when they don't participate in the way that is intended.
  • Options
    BeralCator wrote: »
    If you are severely outmatched, I don't see much value in setting a defense so that your opponent gets more gear/credits/mats. That's only going to amplify the disparity, right?

If you're going to design a game mode where 25% of your player base is going to lose nearly every match, don't be surprised when they don't participate in the way that is intended.

You do realize that if that player is outside your arena shard, the chances of facing them ever again is almost nil. By not setting a defense, you really don't accomplish what you want. It only shows that you feel if you can't win, that you at least want to "hurt" your opponent.

Why would you enter a tournament style event in the game if you don't want to play? There will be 4 2nd place finishers in round 1. Every time. Finishing 2nd, isn't losing. Unless you make it so.

And check your math. It's suspect.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Doesn't matter in the end, you will have teams to fight from round 2 and onwards every time. Since you fight winners after winning. No defence set will just mean free wins for people in the first round, and that's cool :p

Edit: If anything you guys should be thanking the people who didn't set defences, save you time and effort for that round and it literally means you get better rewards for just showing up as well.
  • BeralCator
    791 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    If I don't set a defense when I am clearly outmatched it means I will be able to complete the quests much quicker because I will have all of my good teams on offense, while my opponent will not be able to make any progress. This will allow me to get the reward mats faster and improve my roster, while denying others the opportunity to do so.

Please explain to me the upside of setting a defense if I know I am going to lose. I don't see any, but I do see definite advantages to me NOT setting a defense. The quest rewards are much better than the Grand Arena awards anyway. I need omegas way more than I need mod splicing parts.

If I get a matchup that is winnable, I'll set a defense, if I get an unfair one, I'll put a single ship in the back to prevent the game from auto-filling for me.

If the devs don't like the way I play the game, they can improve the match-making. It's not my responsibility to ensure my opponent has fun or gets rewards.

This discussion has been closed.