Rotate shards to break chats and freshen things up

1234568Next

Replies

• Options
    Woodroward wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    Again, I would destroy people who have been playing a full year less than me. So sure, let's do that.

Then use 1 or 3 or 6 month intervals to keep players in groups by when they started to make it more fair.

they can easily make random shards with players by the month they started playing. Random shuffle every 30 days. Mafia solved.

Shards are basically already everyone that started in a month. Like literally everyone. Takes about 3-4 weeks to fill a shard according to the people who watch it to make alt accounts.

First off those numbers are wrong for the majority of the player base. Where do you come up with it takes 3 to 4 weeks to fill a shard? the game has had 10,000,000+ downloads in Google playstore for years. so swgoh is in the 10 to 50m download category. That's 300,000 to 1.5 million downloads a month. Or 15 to 75 shards created if they are 20k each. THERE ARE LITERALLY THOUSANDS OF ARENA SHARDS game is ~40 months old so 1 a month is just wrong...

Even if your right and today it takes 30 days to get 20k new players the majority of the player base would have joined when the game was much more active. For us the window is more like a few hours to a few days to fill up a shard...

If CG made a monthly random shard shuffle but kept players relatively close say 1 to 2 months start date. it would eliminate the shard mafia part that is bad for the game.

I've been #1 for years, I run several guilds and have hundreds of people who are in chats. There are lots of things that happen beyond targeting people to beat them and not allowing outsiders in (being full)

I have been in shard chats where people organize to all attack other players climbing in order to "lock" them in place. This has to be against the spirit of the game because the GOAL is to make the competition QUIT TRYING by making it impossible for them to make it to the top.

When a outsider rises to top 10 or 20 we can just lock him and stop his climb. This is easier to do closer to the top.

Here the goal is to have several people constantly attack the player and prevent them from being able to join a battle. This effectively locks the player from climbing since he will not drop or fall, he just will be stuck in combat endlessly...

someone ranked less than the target gets him in battle they can wait 5 minutes then coordinate when the end of battle will be in chat. the other chat member instantly battles the target for 5 more minutes then coordinates the end in chat. They switch off fighting the target and letting it timeout.
    They guys locking him in place have the advantage if knowing when the 5 min timer runs out, the guy getting attacked has no idea so he just has to spam attack but when he does he gets the pop up that he is in combat. Just 2-3 people working together in a chat can make it so someone can't climb for their payout.

At a minimum people climbing have to spend the 50 to buy the immediate battle, but that takes time to click through and you can get locked if someone is spamming you while your buying the refresh. Then you just spent 50 crystals to reduce your cooldown on combat but you can't even fight because someone immediately fought you and your in combat already and ya they gonna let it lag out.

There's nothing more fun than spending 50 crystals to be locked in combat lol. After a while people will quit trying to climb, some even rage and quit playing the game altogether after reaching the top and seeing how it is.

As far as experience I've probably claimed 600+ first place rewards in arena. Ran several top guilds. I know maybe 100 players who are in shard chats some are friendly yes but just as many are hostile.

To fix the negative aspects they could:

1. Make it random monthly shuffle based on a join date within some range of time maybe 30 to 60 days. Don't shuffle new shards until shard is 6 to 18 months old.

2. Remove 5 minute cooldown after battles AND/OR put a 30 second delay on people fighting you after you finish combat. This will prevent people from locking you when you are climbing.

#2 would help with some of the more ruthless arenas but people will still be targeted unless things get shuffled up every so often. The shuffle will force people wanting to collude to take extra steps monthly to find their shard chats. cg can't prevent this behavior but cg can discourage it by making it harder for players to collude with those in their arena.
  • Options
    i dont know why pic was removed, i redacted all names....

seems many misunderstood that conversation....there ain't 2 crew on my shard, only one ( with time they evolve and they made their own guild, none was in same guild) there were attempts to create second chat as far as i know, i was being recruited (could post conversation) but i declined, coz for me arena is place to fight not chat and drink tea...(i know all wrath will come upon me on this one :):)....i don't care about crystals i care about good tact/teams....game itself; even with all of them together i still break top 10/5 for payout depends how many of them are online and who is quicker to engage...always hanging in top 15 (coz my team is good, cant be beat easily )

with all that collusion arena lost purpose....and need to be changed, however that aint happening....so only solution for all outside of chats (who are not allowed in) get ur self better teams/mods and u will be fine, if they cant beat u or if it cost them to much they will leave u alone....

and once more, there aren't fair shard chats they are either evil or bad :)...on some scale....some will let u pass (let me put it this way , maybe one or two guy in chat will try to pull you down, rest will ignore that's bad chat....evil one as mine , they live to harass people, me as their arch-nemesis :)

hope that concludes everything.....i am sure people have plenty ideas how to break this part of game and still handout crystals but in fair way....unfortunately for us we are not one coding this game :)

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Again, I would destroy people who have been playing a full year less than me. So sure, let's do that.

Then use 1 or 3 or 6 month intervals to keep players in groups by when they started to make it more fair.

they can easily make random shards with players by the month they started playing. Random shuffle every 30 days. Mafia solved.

Shards are basically already everyone that started in a month. Like literally everyone. Takes about 3-4 weeks to fill a shard according to the people who watch it to make alt accounts.

First off those numbers are wrong for the majority of the player base. Where do you come up with it takes 3 to 4 weeks to fill a shard? the game has had 10,000,000+ downloads in Google playstore for years. so swgoh is in the 10 to 50m download category. That's 300,000 to 1.5 million downloads a month. Or 15 to 75 shards created if they are 20k each. THERE ARE LITERALLY THOUSANDS OF ARENA SHARDS game is ~40 months old so 1 a month is just wrong...

There are likely a lot of people that download the game and don't play it long enough to even start arena. There are people that track when a new arena shard starts so that people who are delaying hitting that level to start at the top of a new one can do so. That's where the information comes from that it's a matter of weeks between them opening.
  • BobcatSkywalker
    2194 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Liath wrote: »

There are likely a lot of people that download the game and don't play it long enough to even start arena. There are people that track when a new arena shard starts so that people who are delaying hitting that level to start at the top of a new one can do so. That's where the information comes from that it's a matter of weeks between them opening.

Your saying there are only 40 to 80 squad arenas lol. 3 to 4 weeks to form one wow. So wrong. This is what derails logical solutions, misinformed illogical arguments.

According to Swgoh.gg there are 7800+ arenas. That's 200 a month not 1 every 3 to 4 weeks.

How many do u think actually exist? Just curious... :)

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

Your saying there are only 40 to 80 squad arenas lol. 3 to 4 weeks to form one wow. So wrong. This is what derails logical solutions, misinformed illogical arguments.

According to Swgoh.gg there are 7800+ arenas. That's 200 a month not 1 every 3 to 4 weeks.

I'm not saying that at all. Arenas started a lot more frequently in the early days of the game than they do now. I do not know where on .gg that information is to be found. If they actually count the exact number of shards somehow then I suppose you can check it on a daily basis to find out when the next one started. But I find it hard to believe that the people tracking the shard starts currently are as far off as you are suggesting.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options

It used to fill within a day perhaps at the start, but it is filling much slower now at approximately 3 weeks. This is also partly because you do not enter Arena till level 28 currently, so you have a lot of people who may have downloaded it but never even got to level 28. I am in the Discord channel which monitors new Leaderboard creation, latest was 9th of May and the one before that was 19th of Apr.
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Options
    I remember when ship arena started. Everyone joined their arena at their leisure. I also remember shard chats were started within minutes or hours of joining. Rotating shards would have a similar outcome. Rotating shards won’t have the effect you are looking for. It could make things worse in the long run.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

This is also a wrong assumption in that the game is drawing players uniformly through out it's life, which is factually not the case at all. It's drawing much less new players than when it launched. The first week of the game was crazy, many people kept launching new accounts in order to be able to draw good toons from crystal packs that gives them a good start via the free crystals game awards towards the beginning. Shards were launching left and right. Most of us acting in the same day while chatting weren't falling into the same shard, it was the reverse, only a few managed to fall in the same shard even though it was their intention.

I won't speculate and come up with mock-up calculations, it's just evident now the interval is at the least several days.
  • Options
    No one is suggesting to mix the new shards with day 1 players.
    Huatimus wrote: »

It used to fill within a day perhaps at the start, but it is filling much slower now at approximately 3 weeks. This is also partly because you do not enter Arena till level 28 currently, so you have a lot of people who may have downloaded it but never even got to level 28. I am in the Discord channel which monitors new Leaderboard creation, latest was 9th of May and the one before that was 19th of Apr.

Okay that makes sense for the current state of how often they are made. mafias aren't a problem in brand new shards it's all roster development based and who's fastest to get 7 star g12 with mods.

This topic doesn't even apply to those new arenas definitely anything under a year old because they are so new and it's 100% development driven in the beginning.

Could be a 12 to 18 month incubation period for new shards for new accounts.

After 18 months mixing those players with players who have played 17 or 19 months isn't a advantage / disadvantage yet it would prevent any type of collusion and mafia from there on...

As many, many have stated for the majority of the player base joined when there were a few hours or days between arena formations so making it random squad arena with monthly reshuffle based on 30/60 day window of joining month joined would work for everyone... Even the new guys once they get past 1 year on their starter shard.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    I don't mind either way. I will just keep launching new chats...very fast at that. And even if they came up with a scheme to make that very hard/impossible, I trust in my ability to stay where I want to in the current meta and future metas.

We in the chats are so bored of doing the climb daily, we just get it done with the least amount of effort. I haven't seen concentrated lock out organisations in quite a while even though that used to be the norm for the beginning 2 years. Everyone(the oldies) in and out of the chats are simply tired. Even when outsiders buy/unlock new metas, they hardly insist breaching top spots, it just ends up allowing an easy float status.

But I highly doubt this sort of progression will ever happen. CG would have to first acknowledge it as a problem, then stop hosting the shard chat formation on their very own, official forums.

• Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    lordteri wrote: »
    jdwcp2uur6fs.jpg

to all those smart ones....this is exactly how shard chat works.....

That is how one shard chat works and is the minority when it comes to these groups.

This is very common actually, if it wasn't common so many people would not have similar experiences.

Saying it is a minority so it's okay is a cop out... Doesn't really address the issue at all

“Common” meaning the loud minority? A couple of people complaining about the same issue at every opportunity isn’t exactly “common”.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    jdwcp2uur6fs.jpg

That is how one shard chat works and is the minority when it comes to these groups.

This is very common actually, if it wasn't common so many people would not have similar experiences.

Saying it is a minority so it's okay is a cop out... Doesn't really address the issue at all

“Common” meaning the loud minority? A couple of people complaining about the same issue at every opportunity isn’t exactly “common”.

to further illustrate your point, just take a look at how many threads there are of players trying to find their shardchat and compare that to the amount of complaints.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/categories/pvp-and-rivalry
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    The shard chat is fine, the arena is broken. I managed to finally break top 100, got invited to shard chat and they all try to help each other with layout times and everything. The *huge diversity that is called arena is the issue, of which the amount of teams that are the same now. jedi reven, darth reven. Not diversity
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Pile wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    jdwcp2uur6fs.jpg

to further illustrate your point, just take a look at how many threads there are of players trying to find their shardchat and compare that to the amount of complaints.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/categories/pvp-and-rivalry

Trying to find and get into your shard chat doesn't equate to numbers of people for/against them. It's more a product of those who have accepted that it is what it is so if you can't beat them, try to join them.

What's the difference between being in favour of shard chats and accepting shardchats up to a point at which you even make a forum post about finding your shardmates? Surely at that point we can rule out being against shardchats right?
    Regardless of how you chose to interpret it, the amount of threads about finding shardchats dwarfs the amount of complaints about them.
  • JediMindTricks
    1077 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Richfxxx wrote: »
    I see lots of complaints on forum about shard chats preventing people climbing rank.

Doesn’t affect me as I’m only top 100 but top players suffer a lot.

So why not rotate shards periodically, say once a month?

Would freshen all arenas up and add a bit more fun/interest/challenge/competitiveness to the game. Wouldn’t be to hard for devs to introduce either and would reduce complaints/rants/whining on forums

The devs will never do this. For one...it won’t make them money. And 2....it’s more work than what it’s worth.

But let’s say they did rotate arena shards once a month...I would bet all the people that continuously get rank 1 everyday would find others that also get rank 1 and would create another chat before the week is up.(I know that’s what I would do). So in the end what’s the point of rotating the chat when all it’s gonna do is allow new chats to be created every month?

Seems like more work for the devs when it’s the same outcome as we currently have.

Even if for some strange reason chats were to be completely erased...I’m more than confident in my roster and arena team that I would have no problems battling my way to rank 1 again. I don’t have over 6500 arena wins for nothing.

Arena is supposed to be cut throat and or friendly. PvP in games normally is. It’s no different that having a ally help you in a pvp environment on a game or attacking someone that enters that environment that all of a sudden got tagged to get hit. I’ve ganked people in rpgs online that entered a pvp arena and I’ve also got ganked by other when I entered the same environment. It can be fun and it can be annoying but pvp and arena normally is.

Best way to be competitive is to make sure your arena team is fully modded fully geared fully stared and make sure your team is a pain to beat. When that happens you usually get skipped over.
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    Options
    Everytime this topic comes up I always imagine the complaining players are still running CLS meta and are complaining they can't hit top spots because of collusion amongst their competitors.

The ones who were invited to shard chats and then left and complained they are excluded are also quite funny.

All in all a very entertaining thread. The only ones I feel sorry for are the few running meta teams and being excluded due to a mafia type chat.

Which is why I feel everyone should get a once a year chance to jump into another shard started around the same time as theirs. They will be unranked but within the same attack range so that one attack sets their rank
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Well, some people don't like them but join them because if they dont they are blocked out of top end rewards. It's not an interpretation of anything. It's basic survival in this environment.

Right, and you think there are enough of those people to make a significant impact on the point i was making about threads looking for shardmates compared to threads complaining about shardchats?
    Some people also complain about shardchats because they're not allowed to join, but would actually love being on the shardchat...
    So yea.. i don't know what you're getting at with your replies.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    I'm getting at the fact that you are making a hypothetical connection between the amount of posts against shard chats vs those looking for shard mates. It's just not an apples to apples comparison.

I compared the amount of threads of people complaining about something vs the amount of threads of people who want to participate in that same something.
    As i said, you can interpret that anyway you like, but it seems rather clear to me that there are (way) more players that are okay with shardchats than that there are players who aren't. Mainly due to the sheer number difference between the complaints and the willing participants.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Connect those dots however you choose but you are leaving out a lot of relavent information. How many chat complaint threads have been closed? How many pages does each thread have? How many individual posters are in the thread? Of course you are going to have more threads looking for chats because of the amount of individual shards in existence. There will never be as many complaint threads because each poster isn't going to start a new thread to complain, they will jump into an existing thread.

You're reaching.
    but i guess it's fine if you don't think the difference in the amount of threads is indicative of the player sentiment towards shardchats.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    The shard chat is fine, the arena is broken. I managed to finally break top 100, got invited to shard chat and they all try to help each other with layout times and everything. The *huge diversity that is called arena is the issue, of which the amount of teams that are the same now. jedi reven, darth reven. Not diversity

It's not broken. You don't like it. There's a difference.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    This thread made me fully sure that there are some people. Beforehand I was sceptic about existence of reality.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    No_Try wrote: »
    This thread made me fully sure that there are some people. Beforehand I was sceptic about existence of reality.

You should try going outside :p
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    The majority of the complaint is about arena, not shard chat. People in the top 200 want to get into top 100...people in the top 100 want to get to top 50...people in the top 50 want to get to the top 10.

Since most of the people in an arena shard can't be in the top ten (by sheer numbers), they believe that they will have a better chance if the shards are reshuffled when in reality, it will be exactly the same. If you don't have high speed DR with Malak right now, you are not going to get to the top 10. Actually, you can but you will probably fall 50 spots over nights. The issues is really defense, not so much offense.

Most shard chats only affects those competing in the top 20...below that, shard chat is unnecessary.
  • newbornFL
    483 posts Member
    Options
    Calbear949 wrote: »
    The majority of the complaint is about arena, not shard chat. People in the top 200 want to get into top 100...people in the top 100 want to get to top 50...people in the top 50 want to get to the top 10.

Since most of the people in an arena shard can't be in the top ten (by sheer numbers), they believe that they will have a better chance if the shards are reshuffled when in reality, it will be exactly the same. If you don't have high speed DR with Malak right now, you are not going to get to the top 10. Actually, you can but you will probably fall 50 spots over nights. The issues is really defense, not so much offense.

Most shard chats only affects those competing in the top 20...below that, shard chat is unnecessary.

If only so,our shard chat is separated into 3 top 10 is whales permamently ,rotatin with those in the the 11 untill 25 .

If you even dare to join the top 20 without permission 7 hours ahead,and that's on good days,you're getting blacklisted,and attacked from everyone.

Nobody in the 25-50+ gets along with the whales,mostly because they are overzealous toxic wannabees.

So basically,I have an rooster/squad that can easily beat top 1 (mods a lot better than what they have) but problem is you can't even touch top 10.

They tend to ban/blacklist people who aren't whales or atleast spend a lot of money in the game to acess top 10.

My shard is just a toxic swamp. And many in my guild are complaining of the same thing.