Rotate shards to break chats and freshen things up

Replies

• Options
    Calbear949 wrote: »

If you reshuffle shards...many players would quit like when jkr was running rampant

Have you looked at a meta report lately? The game simply shifted from one ridiculously dominate meta to another. So the game is still dying based on your comment. https://swgoh.gg/meta-report/

So if the game is already dying why not try to spice it up with a new arena format to try and save it?

• Options
    And you already said that you are okay with shard chats...just not people who block others from finishing top so it is hard for me to believe that you care abt CG or the health of the game

I am ok with inclusive shard chats, but if there is a way to improve the game for players and increase revenue for CG it is a win win...

Sure there are players such as yourself that would be negatively impacted at first, but eventually those players would adapt and people who prepared like you currently do would still have the best chance of succeeding in the new format as well since you would win a majority of your arena battles.
  • Options

If you reshuffle shards...many players would quit like when jkr was running rampant

Have you looked at a meta report lately? The game simply shifted from one ridiculously dominate meta to another. So the game is still dying based on your comment. https://swgoh.gg/meta-report/

So if the game is already dying why not try to spice it up with a new arena format to try and save it?

You understand that there has always been metas...then meta shifts. Nothing you suggests changes that.

Arena chart chats have nothing to do with metas
  • Options
    And you already said that you are okay with shard chats...just not people who block others from finishing top so it is hard for me to believe that you care abt CG or the health of the game

I am ok with inclusive shard chats, but if there is a way to improve the game for players and increase revenue for CG it is a win win...

Sure there are players such as yourself that would be negatively impacted at first, but eventually those players would adapt and people who prepared like you currently do would still have the best chance of succeeding in the new format as well since you would win a majority of your arena battles.

Again...there is nothing there that is relevant to shard chats...it seems like you want to change arena so that nonmeta players can take top spots for a time until meta players catch up.

You understand that people chase meta so that they can go to the top and stay there. So, your idea will make players quit and less likely to chase meta.. thus losing revenue for CG
  • Dopedimitri
    94 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Ill just call out the truth, your highest place been 33rd, you don't have D revan, he doesn't have an all gear 12 JKR revan team either. You don't even have full sets of sliced mods on anyone either. That is why you can't work your way up, you don't have a top 20 team. They aren't keeping you out, you don't have the team to get in.
  • Dar_Penthar
    598 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Ill just call out the truth, your highest place been 33rd, you don't have D revan, he doesn't have an all gear 12 JKR revan team either. You don't even have full sets of sliced mods on anyone either. That is why you can't work your way up, you don't have a top 20 team. They aren't keeping you out, you don't have the team to get in.

I’m not unhappy with my placements at all.... not sure why you care more about my placements than I do? I could do better if I wanted to burn all my gear and 6dot all my mods but I’m working on OR for D revan. My suggestion has nothing to do with my placements.

Do you actually have anything to say other than attack my account or the intelligence of my idea?
  • Options
    Rotating shards would not work for few reasons:

1) People would just make new shards chats each rotation or make one huge shard chat with everyone in it and sort themselfs each rotation.

2) Each shard have players that started around the same time, so if rotation happened then "newer" players would be screwd. Sure they could group shards based on play time, but that would only make rotation smaller and easier to group back.

3) Each rotation player would needed to be put on different position, so player in 2 place could after rotation end up on 1349 place. That would cause outrage, especialy since there would be no fair way to sort players after rotation.
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents.

Changing the entire arena style to be more sweaty seems like a bad idea. From what I understand, you are proposing a new arena style based on number of wins per day, instead of a ladder system you need to climb. While I understand the appeal of that for those with lots of time, many dont have the time.

So what would your system be? Each win on offense is worth 10 points, each defense is worth 10. Each loss is -10 points? That's the only system that mimics a system of merit. Otherwise it is only a matter of who can refresh to find easy meat first... with a point system like this, you'll end up in the same spots as before, except they might do only 1 daily payout instead of hourly, and it becomes even more grindy
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Daishi wrote: »
    Just my 2 cents.

Changing the entire arena style to be more sweaty seems like a bad idea. From what I understand, you are proposing a new arena style based on number of wins per day, instead of a ladder system you need to climb. While I understand the appeal of that for those with lots of time, many dont have the time.

So what would your system be? Each win on offense is worth 10 points, each defense is worth 10. Each loss is -10 points? That's the only system that mimics a system of merit. Otherwise it is only a matter of who can refresh to find easy meat first... with a point system like this, you'll end up in the same spots as before, except they might do only 1 daily payout instead of hourly, and it becomes even more grindy

Most ppl who want a change suggest you get payout for highest rank achieved. For example if you hit #20 at any point during the day, you get the payout for that rank, even if you get knocked back to 50. Problem is that would create a flood of crystals into the system, unless there was a huge nerf to rewards. That's where most ppl get turned off.
  • Richfxxx
    449 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    How do we address that magnitude of unfairness when they change to a system that shift players like this?

Well you don't have to address any unfairness because everyone would start "rankles" after the shard shift. Then active players would move up by defeating other players. When the servers were first opened this had to happen right? Start an Arena Season like so many other games do. After the Season is over shift the shards.

Also I think it would increase overall revenue. Right now so many people don't spend on the Arena mode (crystal refreshes) because it is a fruitless endeavor if you are not part of the elite shard chat group.

Lastly it would also increase revenue in other areas because the same people getting the top rewards don't have to spend a thing to be guaranteed access to the newest content because they already have a free steady crystal income.

So a player going from 1 to 1000 because this game is international and the swap happens when they are asleep, they wake up and battle to see they are now rank 1000. How exactly does that level of fairness not have an issue that would need to be addressed?

I find it funny that people think that spenders dont spend because they get an income. They spend because they can/want to. They spend on top of that income, not to supplement it.

People tend to not like being "forced to spend" saying that someone will climb from 1000 to 1 and spend all the way to get there is true, but many more will not, knowing that they will have to do this each shuffle, or be committed to thier phone right after swap time to keep rank.

It opens up a whole bunch more problems that dont exist now.

We all need to keep in mind that we are talking about a problem, against 50 (ish players in a shard chat), to solve for 5-10 (ish players, the people in the shards that feel this is unfair, but actually have a shot at a top spot, and care enough to take it), that effects 1000s.(shards are massive and many still have 2-5k players in them just floating along happily playing the game)

So to avoid losing rank, couldn’t the shuffle be shard to shard without losing rank? All the 1st place players swap shards, what ever rank you are at time of shard move you swap with equal rank in another shard. So no one loses rank unfairly.

Also my original post about rotating shards was not solely about shard chats. It was about freshening arena up a bit too. By rotating you get to battle different people as well rather than same ones every single day forever
  • Options
    I'm all for a shard shuffle. A lot of games these days are incorporating a seasonal system. Usually monthly. I personally think this would create more competition. Right now I'm usually logging in and doing my two or so battles to stay in the top 100.

If I had to climb the ladder again to reclaim even the top 100, I would have to do more battles. Also if people wanted to quickly climb back to the top 10, they would probably spend more money to ensure they could quickly secure those free crystals every day.

Also to all the people proclaiming that their shard chat keeps them interested in the game, you don't have to leave the shard chat. You can still continue to theory craft or find new metas. Just in different arenas.
  • Digital_Delusion
    28 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Guys, it has no sense at all. Because new shards aren't made just when old ones get full. Their purpose is to keep competing those players who began playing at the same time. So, imo they'll never change this system. It's fair enough. If you swap according to the ranks e.g. 1-1 and a player who waited for months at level 27 to enter a new shard would drop into a shard of those who have been playing for 2-3 years, so they'll kick him out of 1000. Will he feel better? I don't think so. We have a competition system based on time played: squad arena, and another one based on GM: grand arena. Those are most common parameters which can be compared and thus you may know if you are good or not compared to other players. Just remember how devs say: It's a game about managing resources. So squad arena shows your progress in time. And grand arena shows your progress in resource management.
  • Options
    I have a great idea....reset shard rank and have everyone tied for #1....that way none of us can drop and we all get 500 gems.....we can all hug and smoke up and be silly
    Que la Fuerza os acompañe!

Kakaka

Telegram @Kakakawakaka
    https://swgoh.gg/u/kakakawakaka/
    Código aliado 192-195-873
    https://swgoh.gg/g/516/global-elite-games/
  • Tezza23
    88 posts Member
    Options
    I’d replace arena altogether , everyday have 5 random teams selected from peoples arena teams with varying difficulty and give out rewards based on the power rating totalling to a potential 300 crystals a day. Kinda like galactic war but infinitely harder.
  • SCCH
    62 posts Member
    Options
    DocDoom wrote: »
    Seems to me it would be more effective and less effort needed if they just did what others have suggested--make rewards based on top rank achieved for the day, rather than what rank you happen to be at payout time.

That said, it is really funny to see how threads like this reliably bring out those who benefit from shard-chats to frantically defend them. As if anything said here would threaten their status quo...or anything they said would seriously protect it.

I think this is a good idea. I’m in a friendly shard chat in one arena and out of an **** shard chat in the other arena. Arena has become annoying because of having to be active at one particular time, while the real competition comes in GA. Things improved a lot with the payout time change but they could improve further with rewards coming from your best spot in the last x hours before payout
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

Again..why should I be punished for winning? Why should I have to fight for my position every 2 to 3 months? I (and a lot of the top players) would likely quit if that happens.
    No...because I have a life outside of SWGOH! I don't want to take first for some weird online pride...I want crystals so I can play this game for free, which I have done for 1.5 years. If I have to battle 10x a day rather than 3...I will not keep playing.

I have finished first pretty much everyday for 1.5 years because I keep up with the meta, save my crystals, and pay attention to the trends and my mods...that's already enough work, I don't need to reshuffle everything because some people don't like shard chats.

If you are so gun ho about competition, go ahead and waste crystals and keep hitting people just to make your point.

So if you had to pay to get to your current position you would quit the game? What about the people who are excluded from mafia style/dictatorship shard chats who have to pay to simply compete for a top 100 spot every day?

No shard chat I have ever heard about cares what is happening above top 50 at the highest. If somebody has to pay to compete for a top 100 spot it has nothing at all to do with shard chats.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    Richfxxx wrote: »
    How do we address that magnitude of unfairness when they change to a system that shift players like this?

Well you don't have to address any unfairness because everyone would start "rankles" after the shard shift. Then active players would move up by defeating other players. When the servers were first opened this had to happen right? Start an Arena Season like so many other games do. After the Season is over shift the shards.

Also I think it would increase overall revenue. Right now so many people don't spend on the Arena mode (crystal refreshes) because it is a fruitless endeavor if you are not part of the elite shard chat group.

Lastly it would also increase revenue in other areas because the same people getting the top rewards don't have to spend a thing to be guaranteed access to the newest content because they already have a free steady crystal income.

So a player going from 1 to 1000 because this game is international and the swap happens when they are asleep, they wake up and battle to see they are now rank 1000. How exactly does that level of fairness not have an issue that would need to be addressed?

I find it funny that people think that spenders dont spend because they get an income. They spend because they can/want to. They spend on top of that income, not to supplement it.

People tend to not like being "forced to spend" saying that someone will climb from 1000 to 1 and spend all the way to get there is true, but many more will not, knowing that they will have to do this each shuffle, or be committed to thier phone right after swap time to keep rank.

It opens up a whole bunch more problems that dont exist now.

We all need to keep in mind that we are talking about a problem, against 50 (ish players in a shard chat), to solve for 5-10 (ish players, the people in the shards that feel this is unfair, but actually have a shot at a top spot, and care enough to take it), that effects 1000s.(shards are massive and many still have 2-5k players in them just floating along happily playing the game)

So to avoid losing rank, couldn’t the shuffle be shard to shard without losing rank? All the 1st place players swap shards, what ever rank you are at time of shard move you swap with equal rank in another shard. So no one loses rank unfairly.

Ugh, no no no no no. This is terrible.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    Options
    Can we just end this thread? Chalk it up to a horrible idea move on and never speak of this blasphemy again?
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    Everyone know this is never gonna happen, right? CG never acknowledged shard chats as a problem. Instead they facilitate such communication on the forums. Even if it were to happen, there's simple no parameter they can use to even out shards...besides the start time which is what's already in use.
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member
    Options
    I do get a kick out of these threads, suggesting elaborate methods to resolve a “problem” that CG has already stated they don’t see as a problem.

You might as well suggest a convoluted way to solve the “problem” of having to complete Galactic War on days when there is a full moon.
  • Options
    kello_511 wrote: »
    I do get a kick out of these threads, suggesting elaborate methods to resolve a “problem” that CG has already stated they don’t see as a problem.

You might as well suggest a convoluted way to solve the “problem” of having to complete Galactic War on days when there is a full moon.

Finally somebody brings up the real issues. How can we get the devs to fix that. Could they add a lunar cycle to the game that never has a full moon?
  • Acrofales
    1363 posts Member
    Options
    I see lots of complaints on forum about shard chats preventing people climbing rank.

Doesn’t affect me as I’m only top 100 but top players suffer a lot.

So why not rotate shards periodically, say once a month?

Would freshen all arenas up and add a bit more fun/interest/challenge/competitiveness to the game. Wouldn’t be to hard for devs to introduce either and would reduce complaints/rants/whining on forums

You think the odd person who lacks the interpersonal skills to join a shard chat (or the odd arena shard that is comprised of elitist douchebags that isn't open to new people) cause lots of complaints?

Wait for the mass QQ when individual sniping and locking happens. Every new shard has sniping and locking. Every mature shard has a chat so you can climb to your designate spot and peace out. And every now and then there'll be a new player who will initially get targeted, and then wisens up and joins the chat to everybody's benefit. And people then switch payout times to distribute it evenly and make the climb easier for everybody.
  • Slaveen
    481 posts Member
    Options
    Yes, rotate the shards!
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Regardless of how anyone feels about shard chats, this is the fastest way to kill the game.

Why????!!!

Because arena is badly designed. Huge numbers of players are in shard chats, or there wouldn't be anyone complaining about their existence. Shard chats reduce the amount of pointless frustration and phone babysitting while people are trying to have lives, and eat dinner with their families. If you think the occasional complaint on the forum about them is a big deal wait until you see the flood of rage quitters that upsetting the status quo would bring.

For the people in them...yeah...it's awesome I'm sure
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    mesa176750 wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »
    Shard chats are fine

People who don’t have solid team or mods to climb just like to blame it on shard chats

Ultra, I have had the teams and mods and have climbed to 1st several times, however my shard chat refuses to let me in.

That doesn't invalidate the fact that lots of people don't have the team and/or mods and blame it on shard chats.

100% correct could be a few thousand... also correct could be 200-300 people getting screwed over by 20.

Why that 200-300 don't form their own chat and perma lock the 20 back to 301-320 means they can't or lotta effort for a phone game..

Good argument though if 40 people felt they were getting locked out by 20...... and can beat the top 20.... after 2 days of being locked out of the top 20 those original shard chat guys would be real open to negotiations...which at that point....why let em in
  • Options
    Guys, it has no sense at all. Because new shards aren't made just when old ones get full. Their purpose is to keep competing those players who began playing at the same time. So, imo they'll never change this system. It's fair enough. If you swap according to the ranks e.g. 1-1 and a player who waited for months at level 27 to enter a new shard would drop into a shard of those who have been playing for 2-3 years, so they'll kick him out of 1000. Will he feel better? I don't think so. We have a competition system based on time played: squad arena, and another one based on GM: grand arena. Those are most common parameters which can be compared and thus you may know if you are good or not compared to other players. Just remember how devs say: It's a game about managing resources. So squad arena shows your progress in time. And grand arena shows your progress in resource management.

I would agree with your point if SA used your entire roster, but only your top 5 toons matter so if you're a really competitive player you'll have a team that can compete after a year. So Mix up everyone that has been playing for at least a year who is level 85 of course.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    Slaveen wrote: »
    Yes, rotate the shards!

I would much rather devs work on bringing us new PVE content that figuring out how to move a million people fairly without causing rucus.

In terms of priorities for the people asking for this I ask you.....do you have any ?
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options

I would agree with your point if SA used your entire roster, but only your top 5 toons matter so if you're a really competitive player you'll have a team that can compete after a year. So Mix up everyone that has been playing for at least a year who is level 85 of course.

I'd love to face a bunch of people one year in lol.

Would suck for them though.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    mesa176750 wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »
    Shard chats are fine

People who don’t have solid team or mods to climb just like to blame it on shard chats

Ultra, I have had the teams and mods and have climbed to 1st several times, however my shard chat refuses to let me in.

That doesn't invalidate the fact that lots of people don't have the team and/or mods and blame it on shard chats.

100% correct could be a few thousand... also correct could be 200-300 people getting screwed over by 20.

How on earth could 200-300 people getting screwed over by 20 ever be correct?
    Save water, drink champagne!