Rotate shards to break chats and freshen things up

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »

I was kinda hoping you posted your own swgoh.gg profile, silly me..

Here you go sir: https://swgoh.gg/p/677767716/
    clearly baised.

(my profile: https://swgoh.gg/p/447911521/ )
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options

Also clearly biased.... but I'm not sure why you think I am presenting a biased view point. I mentioned that I am anti exclusive shard chats (they limit the number of people allowed in the chat and further limit the number who can compete for number 1). Inclusive shard chats I have no issue with. Nor am I upset I do not make it to number one every day. I didn't get DR and Malak so I'm SOL... and I'm ok with it.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

So a player going from 1 to 1000 because this game is international and the swap happens when they are asleep, they wake up and battle to see they are now rank 1000. How exactly does that level of fairness not have an issue that would need to be addressed?

Well technically in the Season Idea I'm proposing people would go from 1000 (victories) to 0 at the end of every season. Then they would need to climb back up the ladder the same as everyone else for the new season.

It would also eliminate all the in-actives (you know the dead JKR, NS, zBS teams clogging 500 - 5000) from the shards since they would never get victories.

But that's not the way it works.

The first 1000 people to log in and battle would end up ahead of the 1001st person, regardless of any other factors.

Unless this is a proposal to change to a different type of arena style. The issues of switching shards far out way the benefit.
  • Options

The first 1000 people to log in and battle would end up ahead of the 1001st person, regardless of any other factors.

Unless this is a proposal to change to a different type of arena style. The issues of switching shards far out way the benefit.

Correct Sir/Madam it would be a new Arena 2.0 which would replace the current model

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

Also clearly biased.... but I'm not sure why you think I am presenting a biased view point. I mentioned that I am anti exclusive shard chats (they limit the number of people allowed in the chat and further limit the number who can compete for number 1). Inclusive shard chats I have no issue with. Nor am I upset I do not make it to number one every day. I didn't get DR and Malak so I'm SOL... and I'm ok with it.

I'm trying to prove i point and apparantly not doing a good job of doing that, haha.
    You're unsure why i think you're presenting a biased view point, but you have no problem calling someone else biased. That doesn't make sense to me. Why is he (or am i), but aren't you?
    It's just a cheap shot aimed to discredit someone.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options

Correct Sir/Madam it would be a new Arena 2.0 which would replace the current model

Again..seems like a complete overkill. Shard chat allows me to have a life outside of the the game..otherwise, I would have to watch my ranking throughout the day and to watch the countdown on my arena payout.
  • Options
    How do we address that magnitude of unfairness when they change to a system that shift players like this?

Well you don't have to address any unfairness because everyone would start "rankles" after the shard shift. Then active players would move up by defeating other players. When the servers were first opened this had to happen right? Start an Arena Season like so many other games do. After the Season is over shift the shards.

Also I think it would increase overall revenue. Right now so many people don't spend on the Arena mode (crystal refreshes) because it is a fruitless endeavor if you are not part of the elite shard chat group.

Lastly it would also increase revenue in other areas because the same people getting the top rewards don't have to spend a thing to be guaranteed access to the newest content because they already have a free steady crystal income.

So a player going from 1 to 1000 because this game is international and the swap happens when they are asleep, they wake up and battle to see they are now rank 1000. How exactly does that level of fairness not have an issue that would need to be addressed?

I find it funny that people think that spenders dont spend because they get an income. They spend because they can/want to. They spend on top of that income, not to supplement it.

People tend to not like being "forced to spend" saying that someone will climb from 1000 to 1 and spend all the way to get there is true, but many more will not, knowing that they will have to do this each shuffle, or be committed to thier phone right after swap time to keep rank.

It opens up a whole bunch more problems that dont exist now.

We all need to keep in mind that we are talking about a problem, against 50 (ish players in a shard chat), to solve for 5-10 (ish players, the people in the shards that feel this is unfair, but actually have a shot at a top spot, and care enough to take it), that effects 1000s.(shards are massive and many still have 2-5k players in them just floating along happily playing the game)

2 to 5k active players? Where is the data for this?

On my friends list People who quit 1.5 years ago are rank 430 with g11 no zeta teams.
  • Options

I'm trying to prove i point and apparantly not doing a good job of doing that, haha.
    You're unsure why i think you're presenting a biased view point, but you have no problem calling someone else biased. That doesn't make sense to me. Why is he (or am i), but aren't you?
    It's just a cheap shot aimed to discredit someone.

I wasn't trying to be cheap... Lets pretend you're in a meeting. Employee A and B say "there is a problem here due to: blah, blah, blah reasons and this is one way to fix it"

Employee C says "that is the worst idea in the history of the universe..." with no reason or further explanation.

Now it very well could be the "worst idea in the history of the universe" but it would be courteous and expected for Employee C to at least defend the statement in some manner to give others the ability to make an educated decision on how to address the problem.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Yes it would replace it for a short time, while the game dies.

You cannot change a core game mode like this and expect people to keep playing, unless it is directly in thier favor and still gives them the benefit they had or a better one, and let's be realistic, that's not going to happen.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    How do we address that magnitude of unfairness when they change to a system that shift players like this?

Well you don't have to address any unfairness because everyone would start "rankles" after the shard shift. Then active players would move up by defeating other players. When the servers were first opened this had to happen right? Start an Arena Season like so many other games do. After the Season is over shift the shards.

Also I think it would increase overall revenue. Right now so many people don't spend on the Arena mode (crystal refreshes) because it is a fruitless endeavor if you are not part of the elite shard chat group.

Lastly it would also increase revenue in other areas because the same people getting the top rewards don't have to spend a thing to be guaranteed access to the newest content because they already have a free steady crystal income.

I find it funny that people think that spenders dont spend because they get an income. They spend because they can/want to. They spend on top of that income, not to supplement it.

People tend to not like being "forced to spend" saying that someone will climb from 1000 to 1 and spend all the way to get there is true, but many more will not, knowing that they will have to do this each shuffle, or be committed to thier phone right after swap time to keep rank.

It opens up a whole bunch more problems that dont exist now.

We all need to keep in mind that we are talking about a problem, against 50 (ish players in a shard chat), to solve for 5-10 (ish players, the people in the shards that feel this is unfair, but actually have a shot at a top spot, and care enough to take it), that effects 1000s.(shards are massive and many still have 2-5k players in them just floating along happily playing the game)

2 to 5k active players? Where is the data for this?

On my friends list People who quit 1.5 years ago are rank 430 with g11 no zeta teams.

My alt dropped to 5k, and I havent check recently, but that was only 4 months ago (that I stopped), so yes I would think the average shard is in that range somewhere.
  • Dar_Penthar
    598 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

You cannot change a core game mode like this and expect people to keep playing, unless it is directly in thier favor and still gives them the benefit they had or a better one, and let's be realistic, that's not going to happen.

Ahhh... I'm not sure why you have such a pessimistic outlook on the idea. Why do you think the influx of new and returning players would not make up for any casualties? People would adapt. Lets face it if episode 8 didn't kill star wars fandom this kind of change would not either =)

In the end it would benefit more people. The P2W crowd can keep spending to win and the F2P crowd doesn't intentionally get blocked from competing. They can pour all their crystal refreshes into arena to try and compete for better rewards by simply getting more wins.

The truth is we won't ever know who's outlook is correct but I will leave you with this thought... people use to think you would sail off the edge of the earth if you went past the known ocean bounds too..
  • Kaziglubey
    89 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I think shuffling would lead too more exclusive shard chats tbh. If they shift once a month. Well week one people like me will rapidly hit top spots. Reach out to other top10to 15 power house guys. Then crush everybody else. Why let more in when I'm off to a different shard in a month. Idc if you think you're worthy at that point. Not enough time to prove you're gonna be able to compete. I'm in a fairly open shard not a mafia but that's how I honestly see it going
  • Rake6
    442 posts Member
    Options
    Best idea ever! Let it be every week not month.
  • Options
    Rake6 wrote: »
    Best idea ever! Let it be every week not month.

Every 6 hours!
  • Calbear949
    839 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Ahhh... I'm not sure why you have such a pessimistic outlook on the idea. Why do you think the influx of new and returning players would not make up for any casualties? People would adapt. Lets face it if episode 8 didn't kill star wars fandom this kind of change would not either =)

In the end it would benefit more people. The P2W crowd can keep spending to win and the F2P crowd doesn't intentionally get blocked from competing. They can pour all their crystal refreshes into arena to try and compete for better rewards by simply getting more wins.

The truth is we won't ever know who's outlook is correct but I will leave you with this thought... people use to think you would sail off the edge of the earth if you went past the known ocean bounds too..

New players wouldn't care because they have no idea what the PvP system was previously...they don't understand shard chats. They are not going to gravitate to or move away from the game because of them.

Players don't leave this game because of shard chats...most players leave because they don't find it entertaining anymore or that they are frustrated by the need to get new characters (meta ones).

Again..why should I be punished for winning? Why should I have to fight for my position every 2 to 3 months? I (and a lot of the top players) would likely quit if that happens.
  • Options
    Calbear949 wrote: »

New players wouldn't care because they have no idea what the PvP system was previously...they don't understand shard chats. They are not going to gravitate to or move away from the game because of them.

Players don't leave this game because of shard chats...most players leave because they don't find it entertaining anymore or that they are frustrated by the need to get new characters (meta ones).

Again..why should I be punished for winning? Why should I have to fight for my position every 2 to 3 months? I (and a lot of the top players) would likely quit if that happens.

Why are you afraid of legitimate competition especially in a game mode intended to be competitive? I'm guessing you have a recent meta, since you're worried about having to play to maintain your position, so you would likely place well provided you were active and competed everyday.

• Calbear949
    839 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Why are you afraid of legitimate competition especially in a game mode intended to be competitive? I'm guessing you have a recent meta, since you're worried about having to play to maintain your position, so you would likely place well provided you were active and competed everyday.

No...because I have a life outside of SWGOH! I don't want to take first for some weird online pride...I want crystals so I can play this game for free, which I have done for 1.5 years. If I have to battle 10x a day rather than 3...I will not keep playing.

I have finished first pretty much everyday for 1.5 years because I keep up with the meta, save my crystals, and pay attention to the trends and my mods...that's already enough work, I don't need to reshuffle everything because some people don't like shard chats.

If you are so gun ho about competition, go ahead and waste crystals and keep hitting people just to make your point.
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member
    Options
    Palanthian wrote: »
    This is quite possibly the worst suggestion ever made in the history of this forum.

Hmm I wonder what the average rank of everyone who disagrees with this idea is: https://swgoh.gg/p/974363143/

Please at least try to come from an unbiased place...

He is being unbiased.

He would be 1st in any shard they put him in.

He also never attacks anyone that has a payout coming up because he knows our times. It benefits everyone else more than it helps him.
  • Bulldog1205
    3573 posts Member
    Options

No...because I have a life outside of SWGOH! I don't want to take first for some weird online pride...I want crystals so I can play this game for free, which I have done for 1.5 years. If I have to battle 10x a day rather than 3...I will not keep playing.

I have finished first pretty much everyday for 1.5 years because I keep up with the meta, save my crystals, and pay attention to the trends and my mods...that's already enough work, I don't need to reshuffle everything because some people don't like shard chats.

If you are so gun ho about competition, go ahead and waste crystals and keep hitting people just to make your point.

This tends to be the position of people who like your typical shard chat. Arena is viewed as crystal income, and everyone works together to max income. I’ve kind of fallen into this group lately because I’ve been bored of the game and have just been doing the minimum to get by.

But I hope everyone can understand that this exact mentality is why a lot of people hate shard chats. People who actually enjoy arena battles and view it as a game. Competition can be fun. If you view things this way it can be really confusing and frustrating as to why the only continuous solo PvP mode doesn’t operate this way. It’s just how you expect a game to work.

• Calbear949
    839 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

This tends to be the position of people who like your typical shard chat. Arena is viewed as crystal income, and everyone works together to max income. I’ve kind of fallen into this group lately because I’ve been bored of the game and have just been doing the minimum to get by.

But I hope everyone can understand that this exact mentality is why a lot of people hate shard chats. People who actually enjoy arena battles and view it as a game. Competition can be fun. If you view things this way it can be really confusing and frustrating as to why the only continuous solo PvP mode doesn’t operate this way. It’s just how you expect a game to work.

I still have fun trying to beat the various top teams in my shard. No one nerfs for me and I still have to make my way up...I am just very aware of who I hit and when so that when the time comes for my payout, I am not worried about some random person hitting me.

The fun I get is to maximum my teams' gear and mods...I came somewhat close to quitting when JKR was running everywhere and it took me 6 to 10 battles just to get to top 5 because mods largely didn't matter. That's super un-fun for me because it became largely a RNG thing.

It's fun right now because when I get a good mod or pairing, I am rewarded.
  • Options
    It amazes me how several people here are trying to say people who regularly take the top are bias and shouldn't comment here but fail to realize they themselves are bias in their own favor towards their own opinion, it's part of being human haha. I get what you're trying to say, but you're wrong in my opinion and it will not change, they've said they're not going to change it more than once in the past.

Even in large scale MMOs and such, even when there are new seasons to arena, they don't shuffle players in and out, you just climb back up, and the regulars just end up at the top again with the exact same people because you wouldn't suddenly shuffle account data throughout different severs. You also should consider what you're proposing is something that would take time and all the servers would have to be shut down for a while each time. You can't just shuffle and transfer all of you users account from one server to another and expect it to be done super quickly.
  • Dar_Penthar
    598 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

So if you had to pay to get to your current position you would quit the game? What about the people who are excluded from mafia style/dictatorship shard chats who have to pay to simply compete for a top 100 spot every day?

You're making one of my points for me. I stated the top shards chat players are not contributing to the game health (revenue), in fact they are likely hurting the overall heath of the game, by discouraging people from even participating in Arena. You admit that you don't have to buy the newly released content because you already have the crystals from your Arena payout.

Why shouldn't CG implement this if it improves the majority of players Arena experience and participation. It will likely make them more revenue overall.

Having said that I do applaud you working the current system to it's full advantage for yourself.

• Calbear949
    839 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

So if you had to pay to get to your current position you would quit the game? What about the people who are excluded from mafia style/dictatorship shard chats who have to pay to simply compete for a top 100 spot every day?

You're making one of my points for me. I stated the top shards chat players are not contributing to the game health (revenue), in fact they are likely hurting the overall heath of the game, by discouraging people from even participating in Arena. Why shouldn't CG implement this if it improves the majority of players Arena experience and participation. It will likely make them more revenue overall.

Having said that I do applaud you working the current system to it's full advantage for yourself.

No. It has nothing with pay. It has to do with time...if I have to run 10 battles to get to number one...i have spend an extra 30 to 40 minutes for the same payout (minus crystals for refresh)

Weird that you care abt CG...the point of shard chats is to maximize payouts. If I dont get to the top of the shards...those crystals dont go elsewhere. They just dont exists. So, shard chat and top finishes keeps me interested in the game.

If you reshuffle shards...many players would quit like when jkr was running rampant
  • Options
    And you already said that you are okay with shard chats...just not people who block others from finishing top so it is hard for me to believe that you care abt CG or the health of the game
  • Neo43
    26 posts Member
    Options
    Arena shards are based on when you started the game so you're with other people who started around the same time as you, if you rotate my shard and put people who have been playing for a year longer than me in my shard I'm going to be ****. Shard chats are much better than dealing with that.
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    Options
    I have heard a lot of crazy ideas on the forum but this might be the most asinine....absolutely no reason to deviate from the current format. Now if they wanted to do something along the lines of where they allowed a person to change shards voluntarily every so often then maybe yeah. This would take care of the "mafia" shards some people whine about. But realistically everyone started the same shard at roughly the same time so if you got left out it's kinda your own fault
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    Shard chats are fine

People who don’t have solid team or mods to climb just like to blame it on shard chats

💯
  • Options
    Shard chats are meant to not get in the way of players for their payout so we have adjusted real life times to accommodate.

Because the 40 of us take care of each other and watch our for each other we can have normal lives. Where I don’t have to stare at my game during my Payout hour. Because we all are on throughout the day checking things out.

Squad and fleet arena have been the least stressful things about this game.
  • Dopedimitri
    94 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    They have told you it does not help the vast majority of people and would cause more problems for everyone, everywhere. You choose to ignore what you do not want to hear. You're idea is stupid, it is not viable, it is not fair, to 99 percent of the community. People are not afraid, nor biased if they disagree with you. You use that as a crutch to discredit what they say, and just keep on going. It is not a good idea. How about your account just gets shuffled down to 2000th place everyday, and then you get what you wanted, and everyone else gets what they want. WIN WIN.
  • Dar_Penthar
    598 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    They have told you it does not help the vast majority of people and would cause more problems for everyone, everywhere. You choose to ignore what you do not want to hear. You're idea is stupid, it is not viable, it is not fair, to 99 percent of the community. People are not afraid, nor biased if they disagree with you. You use that as a crutch to discredit what they say, and just keep on going. It is not a good idea. How about your account just gets shuffled down to 2000th place everyday, and then you get what you wanted, and everyone else gets what they want. WIN WIN.

Not sure who this is directed at but I'll bite... Stop pulling you're stats out of your colon unless you can show me where you got you're 99% number from?

Also you seem angry so I'm sorry you're having a bad day/life. I hope things get better for you I really do. I've seen people disagree with the idea I proposed and I respect their opinion when they give actual reasons for their opinion beyond the extremely clever "I think it's stupid" argument.

I never said anyone had to agree with anything I have proposed in this thread. I'm on one side of the discussion and you are clearly on the other. Neither of us has to agree with the other but we should be civil and able to have an open discussion sharing ideas about the game.

Lastly this is an open forum that allows people to post their opinions and ideas and it is ok and even encouraged for those ideas to be from a multitude of viewpoints. If everyone has to agree with you for you to be happy then I'm sorry to inform you that your life will never be a happy one.