Can we get an update on cheating?

Replies

• Options
    JDIII wrote: »
    What’s worse about this issue is it’s being closed almost immediately saying they have things in place to catch those players, but as we saw, those things aren’t working right now. I have too much invested in this game for an issue like this to be lingering around without a fix coming
    Indeed. Apparently, the whistleblower did it for two months, accumulating proofs, without getting caught.

A replay would be useful indeed, but if it’s too hard on the memory stockage, keeping a simple data shown like the score boards after a raid attempt might be enough. Would allow to see what team was used, how much Health/Protection were left, and how much damage was inflicted. It would at least be a start.
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    Ambassador wrote: »
    What’s worse about this issue is it’s being closed almost immediately saying they have things in place to catch those players, but as we saw, those things aren’t working right now. I have too much invested in this game for an issue like this to be lingering around without a fix coming
    Indeed. Apparently, the whistleblower did it for two months, accumulating proofs, without getting caught.

A replay would be useful indeed, but if it’s too hard on the memory stockage, keeping a simple data shown like the score boards after a raid attempt might be enough. Would allow to see what team was used, how much Health/Protection were left, and how much damage was inflicted. It would at least be a start.

Even if they don't allow us to see such things, I can't believe they aren't now sending that data back with the victory message so they know when things aren't right. Should be super easy to pass back some basic info and then query the stats with the stored team stats.
  • Options
    StarSon wrote: »

Even if they don't allow us to see such things, I can't believe they aren't now sending that data back with the victory message so they know when things aren't right. Should be super easy to pass back some basic info and then query the stats with the stored team stats.
    Come to think of it, you’re probably right. I just now remember things like the GAC feat asking for a certain number of buffs, which would indeed require some detailed information about the match to be sent back.
  • Options
    Lots of other mobile games have replay systems. It shouldn't be that hard to implement. They just need to do it as a first step.
  • Mfish
    136 posts Member
    Options
    @CG_Erik please say something to restore my confidence after the cheating being brought to light. I have spent $9k on swgoh because it is an enjoyable hobby for me. This new information makes me uneasy.
  • Options
    The biggest problem now is that every GA round I do, I try to work out how my opponent can be beating my teams so efficiently, the last rounds of GA, my matching has been awful and I have faced opponents with 10-20 more G13 characters than I have. Out of the ones that i'm not under-matched to, there have been some that have cleared my teams in averages of 58-60 banners, considering they set most of their offensive teams in defence and failed on one or more of my teams, I can not see how this has been possible without cheating.

Which is where the main problem lies....most of these opponents are probably NOT cheating, but because we all know it is possible it makes you doubt them. Some of these players are just extremely good theory and team crafters and should be given the respect for winning that they deserve instead of accusations that they are cheating.

I have played this game and enjoyed it immensely for over 3 years. I have also invested fairly heavily into it, but I find my enjoyment of the game tainted by cheating and bad matchmaking in GA. Given all the above, I wish I could request a refund for my spending and hand the account back to EA!!
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Liath wrote: »
    Why are people acting like this is news?

Because last we heard, CG had fancy new tools to catch the cheaters. I have wondered about a few of my matches, but figured if anyone was cheating they would be caught and banned, so moved on with my life.

Lol, how uncharacteristically optimistic of you.
  • Options
    Mfish wrote: »
    @CG_Erik please say something to restore my confidence after the cheating being brought to light. I have spent $9k on swgoh because it is an enjoyable hobby for me. This new information makes me uneasy.
    Seconded. Probably slightly less money spent, but same problem here : I’m starting to lose my trust.
  • Options
    Seconded. Probably slightly less money spent, but same problem here : I’m starting to lose my trust.

Thirded (if that's even a valid word!) I've spent a little more than that and feel the same
  • Options

It seems like they have had this information and don't want to address it head on. and obviously with the closing of forum threads, they don't want us discussing it. which makes it even shadier
  • Vos_Landeck
    1666 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    this guy got reported by several out of our shard
    made it to top1 every day without a pretank and a very slow modded drevan team without malak
    we even talked to his guild leader
    the cheater admitted cheating to him and got kicked out of the guild
    yet over a week later is is still climbing guildless in arena (cant make it to top 10 anymore) and made kyber in gac

so i wonder how many fly under the radar if the most obv cheaters need more than a week to get reviewed

@Balthasar in my past experience, took about 10 days after I submitted the report for them to contact me about investigating....the player in question appeared to have been banned within a few days of that from what I could tell. I don't think there's anything unreasonable about that timeline.
  • Options

Which is where the main problem lies....most of these opponents are probably NOT cheating, but because we all know it is possible it makes you doubt them. Some of these players are just extremely good theory and team crafters and should be given the respect for winning that they deserve instead of accusations that they are cheating.
    That’s right. This issue is detrimental to the whole community.
  • Options
    Cheating is not a bug, it's a hidden feature 🤷‍♂️
    There are games where you can watch all fights of your opponent, that would be the easiest way to detect those cheaters. .... and don't say "they need more server for that. They earn millions every month!
    CG please stop those cheaters!
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options

Come to think of it, you’re probably right. I just now remember things like the GAC feat asking for a certain number of buffs, which would indeed require some detailed information about the match to be sent back.

No, wouldn’t have to pass anything detailed. Just have the client do the count for the feat and pass back the number completed or whatever.
    yohann269 wrote: »
    Lots of other mobile games have replay systems. It shouldn't be that hard to implement. They just need to do it as a first step.

Except in this game it *would* be hard. Most games combat is server side, specifically because of stuff like this. However, all combat here is client side. To show us a replay they would have to record every move to pass back and then recreate the animations. Doesn’t sound like much, but it could be a lot of data. Much easier to just pass team comp and some basic stats and then query the data for discrepancies.
  • Options
    Cheating is not a bug, it's a hidden feature 🤷‍♂️

:D Another surprise mechanic

• StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    Why are people acting like this is news?

Because last we heard, CG had fancy new tools to catch the cheaters. I have wondered about a few of my matches, but figured if anyone was cheating they would be caught and banned, so moved on with my life.

Lol, how uncharacteristically optimistic of you.

What can I say, the sun is shining, birds are chirping, it’s a beautiful day to think positive 🤣
  • Options
    Except in this game it *would* be hard. Most games combat is server side, specifically because of stuff like this. However, all combat here is client side. To show us a replay they would have to record every move to pass back and then recreate the animations. Doesn’t sound like much, but it could be a lot of data. Much easier to just pass team comp and some basic stats and then query the data for discrepancies.
    all u need is simple text battle log with every action/time/dmg...in many games (like some rpgs or even dota) u can also view things like that ingame

• Options
    Just text, for example: DN Anhilate Cooldown at the start of battle 0. Damage from Anakin to DR 1,000,000,000. Damage from DR to Anakin 1.
  • DocDoom
    532 posts Member
    Options
    It's not cheating, it's "surprise mechanics"!
  • Options
    i fear the cheat ist common now ... i have lost last few days a lot of places in arena and ship arena ... an a lot of shaby revealed....
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

It seems like they have had this information and don't want to address it head on. and obviously with the closing of forum threads, they don't want us discussing it. which makes it even shadier

The issue with the discussion on cheating is that it is against the Forum Guidelines and generally leads to people asking how to cheat, which is not a door we want open. Literally all the threads closed had that questions asked in the first 5 posts. (There were 3 that have been closed so far.).

Closing the threads has nothing to do with CGs response to this, just the Forum Guidelines.

They have stated they have implemented new tools to investigate cheating and there is no way to stop someone from trying to alter local code. The tools are new and still require investigations into the activities and a human being involved.

We have seen in the past that they will deal with things like this in waves and I can assure you we have seen some of this in action.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

The issue with the discussion on cheating is that it is against the Forum Guidelines and generally leads to people asking how to cheat, which is not a door we want open. Literally all the threads closed had that questions asked in the first 5 posts. (There were 3 that have been closed so far.).

Closing the threads has nothing to do with CGs response to this, just the Forum Guidelines.

They have stated they have implemented new tools to investigate cheating and there is no way to stop someone from trying to alter local code. The tools are new and still require investigations into the activities and a human being involved.

We have seen in the past that they will deal with things like this in waves and I can assure you we have seen some of this in action.

There needs to be some community reassurance and update from CG. The last update we had was early June and these youtube videos are stoking the fire.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

I have seen people kicked from the game for cheating (credit card fraud) but within a few months their account is back on the arena shard and run by someone else. In my opinion, these accounts should have been banned and deleted not just the player blocked, obviously they were able to either pass or sell their account to someone else. Therefore, the account with unlawfully gained mods and gear is still being used but just not by the person that originally had it. It's not the same cheating that seems to be going on at the moment but it is another reason my confidence in the game is disappearing.

I for one, don't want to cheat, so am glad there is no reference on how to available on the forums.
  • Options
    funny .. just check the date ...
    :(

bb6tpe6iybi4.png
  • Torr
    29 posts Member
    Options
    Fixing the hack might take some time. In the meanwhile, what just add a feature that allow player to see what opponent squad were used in each GAC battle. We can report suspicious matches.
  • Options
    :o
This discussion has been closed.