Can we get an update on cheating?

Replies

• Options
    There is an easy fix, but it requires a large investment by EA/CG and new watchdog programming. Blizzard uses it for WoW to maintain client integrity. I believe SWTOR also uses similar programming.
  • Options
    Oh CG, troublesome as ever.
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options
    The problem with a program like that is there is no stopping it unless you find a way to block the program all together. All a cheater needs to do is create a new account after being banned and they can cheat their way right back to the top.
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Options
    Two months is an awfully long time to get away with cheating. It could have gone on longer, too.

CG isn’t even coming close to catching everyone. This is a pretty serious issue. More people will start fairly soon. I don’t care about temporary bans. I care about people being gone from the game. I care about a resolution.

I don’t think there will be one, though. I don’t think this is easy to track. People seem to think a replay will help. Yes, that will help when people use an insane amount of offense, defense, one shot, or no cool downs. It will not help when people add just enough offense or defense to win. I’m worried about the 57 or 58 banners earned instead of 54 or 55. I’m worried about the guy who is cheating just enough in raids to get a higher score and better loot. If a player is smart about it, a replay of just a little more offense or defense, just enough to get the win, won’t look that much different in a replay.

A non statement from EA/CG is pretty detrimental, IMO. People are upset. People don’t want their investment wasted. People will start to vote with their wallets. Not saying anything is a bad move. Just going with the status quo is a bad move since it has been outright proven that whatever was put into place to detect cheating is failing.

Finally, it’s not a sign of weakness or a bad thing to come out and say that they have indeed failed at it and will make moves to improve. However, they haven’t been the most transparent of people in the past.
  • Options
    Monel wrote: »
    The problem with a program like that is there is no stopping it unless you find a way to block the program all together. All a cheater needs to do is create a new account after being banned and they can cheat their way right back to the top.

Adding defensive replays would stop the biggest part of it. While there could be subtle cheating line improving damage by 10% of something that people might not notice, it still means everything is right out in the open. Blatant cheating in PvP would disappear instantly.
  • Options
    CG couldnt prevent the cheating to work, for the Malak event. So they made a minimum GP requirement so cheaters couldnt get Malak. Nice way of protecting the whales.. screw the 99%
  • Options
    Jupitus wrote: »
    CG couldnt prevent the cheating to work, for the Malak event. So they made a minimum GP requirement so cheaters couldnt get Malak. Nice way of protecting the whales.. screw the 99%

Well, you can't blame them. The whales represent the vast majority of their revenues. They are always going to cater to them. It's that way with all games like this. You expect them to do something against their own best interest?
  • Options
    Look. As long as this cheating mod doesnt allow you to solo P3 sith raid. Then its no big deal.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    mr37hat wrote: »
    @Kyno the problem is that a lot of us have spent a lot of money in this game, with the belief that the cheating was not as widespread as the videos have shown to be.

This doesn't tell us anything about how widespread it is.
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Options
    Liath wrote: »
    mr37hat wrote: »
    @Kyno the problem is that a lot of us have spent a lot of money in this game, with the belief that the cheating was not as widespread as the videos have shown to be.

This doesn't tell us anything about how widespread it is.

Sure doesn’t. All the video did was tell us it’s easier to get away with than most people thought.
  • DocDoom
    532 posts Member
    Options
    CG: "...is it too late for us to blame this on Carrie?"
  • Ultra
    11515 posts Moderator
    Options

Adding defensive replays would stop the biggest part of it. While there could be subtle cheating line improving damage by 10% of something that people might not notice, it still means everything is right out in the open. Blatant cheating in PvP would disappear instantly.
    I don't think defensive replays are a reasonable ask. You've got millions of players in Grand Arena, each doing multiple battles, from as low as 0 battles to 8+, some sending junk teams doing 0 damage so that one team can have a defensive score of 80 or something for reddit karma

Each video needs to be compressed and stored on the server and its very costly on space
  • Options
    Why is no one talking about it?
    This is a real issue to whales as well to ftp!
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »

I don't think defensive replays are a reasonable ask. You've got millions of players in Grand Arena, each doing multiple battles, from as low as 0 battles to 8+, some sending junk teams doing 0 damage so that one team can have a defensive score of 80 or something for reddit karma

Each video needs to be compressed and stored on the server and its very costly on space

I’d settle for a text recap. Team used, damage done by characters on both sides, time elapsed, maybe total number of attacks/turns for each toon.
  • Vinniarth
    1859 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

You don’t have to store videos, you know. Numbers is enough. Using game engine all fight can be restored using game mechnics. It is very simple... it is turn-based game, y’know...
    Like chess: e2-e4 etc.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

I’d settle for a text recap. Team used, damage done by characters on both sides, time elapsed, maybe total number of attacks/turns for each toon.

It would also have to include all the mod info and any other locked in stats that we dont necessarily have access to at that time.
  • tj5270
    177 posts Member
    Options

Thanks for exposing this and bringing up solutions to the problem. Anything is better then nothing, and Cg has provided nothing to really put a halt to what is happening. I think it may be more costly, but the other side is to take down ANYTHING pvp related, as it has the potential to just be exploited and cheated on.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    tj5270 wrote: »

Thanks for exposing this and bringing up solutions to the problem. Anything is better then nothing, and Cg has provided nothing to really put a halt to what is happening. I think it may be more costly, but the other side is to take down ANYTHING pvp related, as it has the potential to just be exploited and cheated on.

That is absolutely not true. Let's leave the baseless accusations out of this.
  • Options
    Just going to mention here, McMole just posted a video "EA has a cheating problem" that appears to have just been removed/EA copyright claim.... Seems like he was trying to break down an issue that others here are echoing and was silenced....? Eager to see his take/explanation on this.
  • Besteve
    126 posts Member
    Options
    3uyrjomrlzim.jpeg
  • DocDoom
    532 posts Member
    Options
    Punnily enough, they can play "Whak-a-Mole" all they want, but the vid is being copied and reposted elsewhere.
  • Iy4oy4s
    2937 posts Member
    Options

MSF has a feature where you can see the team used against your team in Alliance wars that could be easily adopted here. Even if multiple teams where used. It even has the health left after each battle. They need to do that here.
This discussion has been closed.