Replies

• Options
    c5lhxeoy15ze.jpeg
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    I will respectfully disagree with any argument that "justice" needs to be public. If justice is severed then it has been served regardless of anyone's knowledge of it. True justice doesnt need anyone to feel better about knowing it happened.
    Sorry, but with this comment, you show you clearly have no understanding of how justice works. Secrecy defeats the working of justice, it only foster mistrust. It’s been a basic principle for, like, two or three centuries. Or forever, rather. Justice is not about punishing people trespassing, but about society’s cohesion, keeping the herd under control. For that, the herd needs to see the rules are effectively enforced.

I would rather people make educated choices and be independent thinkers than follow the herd. If you need proof the sun will rise tomorrow, then society is lost already.

Good leadership should never need to prove they do what is just, the problem is people are easily foolded into putting the wrong people into positions of power, then regret it and request proof of intent later. I would rather cut out the middle man and trust the system I put my faith into, or put my faith in a different system.

Why do I get a certain scene of Anakin & Padme discussing democracy on Naboo flash into my mind ...
  • Options
    So the most interesting part about the various methods / tools for client side (APK?) hacking, is the elephant in the room. Why is it all of this has to be decided and controlled client-side? Is it purely because running enough server CPU's to make up for everyone's phone calculating battles is expensive? Or that the latency would slow the experience down too much.

At the bare minimum, there needs to be an architecture change that can detect when key values are adjusted, and the app needs to essentially sanity check it's values itself against server data on the start of match.

If those multiples were simply set on the server, via an encrypted API call, and then locked those values for the balance of the match (can't be adjusted once match is in-progress or match blows up with error message and you take a loss), that could cut down all the client side stuff. Then there's the problem of people spoofing the client server.. Let's say they spoofed those values coming back in the network stream, there are ways to account for that, by requiring specific client certificates *and* a validation of the entire exchange. Check values, Start battle, re-check values, post battle, even have it validate *if* the values changed every single turn based on a unique checksum including boolean time..

I mean.. This is by no stretch of the imagination a roadmap, but the general principle of validating every step of the process in a way that the client *cannot* adjust playing values and if they do it blows up the battle looking like a forced quit or even better, leaving all TM gained on the defense team (aka timeout) really needs to be the primary focus.

This vulnerability has basically existed since early on in the game, and prophylactic measures are needed, because reaction-based review/ban/whatever is simply an endless game of whack-a-mole that cannot be won.

Just like Tournaments, GAC and TW are getting hacked to death to the point where it's hard to care about them.
  • Options
    They only have 6 employees at Capital games. 3 are running the mod manipulating sales, the other 3 are ignoring the emails complaining that stolen credit cards are being used.

The game used to be fun. Then I saw they never fixed the cheating problem and that explains why it is no longer fun.

• Options
    I've been beaten in GAC by someone who averaged 60 points and another who averaged 62 points. I put the 62 point avg screenshot on reddit (with name deleted) and was ridiculed for having such a bad defense to allow that to happen.
    A) I have 'good' defenses, not 'rotten'
    B) Even with a terrible defense not all teams can be one shot by 1 toon
    C) Yes I did report it but heard nothing back
    Looking for 1 member with 3.5m+ GP roster to help in GEO TB; we are 185m guild who are 70-6 in TW.
  • AceCV
    994 posts Member
    Options
    Do you want an update for cheating.... here it is... a summary for quick understanding with the things that you will never heard officially.

They still out there, doing whatever they want with total impunity because:
    - creating conditions to everyone checking this kind of stuff (like seeing the opponents attacks and teams used) have development and maintenance costs. This kind of info would give substancial proves about this cheating issues, what is bad for business. This would obviously affect profit and company image.
    - having a big team analysing all reports and suspicious activities are expensive and isn't easy to build a business case saying that this extensive team compensates vs the players quitting because of this matter. Equal to say, would affect profit and make company waste resources.
    - Some of those cheaters are pay costumers and risking some refunds or even lose some income because of bans isnt nice for.... you got it.... profit.

Conclusion....just relax and.... fword this "cheat"....they can clean a dozen non pay cheaters each month, announce new measures and bla bla bla to calm community...do some damage control to ensure that few people know how to do it and how big this is.....and all working as expected.
  • Options
    AceCV wrote: »
    - Some of those cheaters are pay costumers and risking some refunds or even lose some income because of bans isnt nice for.... you got it.... profit.

I've heard this before but I don't agree, why would someone pay for the game when they could just cheat? It doesn't make sense for someone to do both
    Looking for 1 member with 3.5m+ GP roster to help in GEO TB; we are 185m guild who are 70-6 in TW.
  • Options
    I saw someone mention that the rewards for winning aren't that great and I agree. It's not even worth chasing down the cheaters if you ask me. The game is more of a casual game now. Or should be anyway. If the game wasn't multiplayer then there wouldn't even be an issue. I like games with large single player story content.
  • AceCV
    994 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

I've heard this before but I don't agree, why would someone pay for the game when they could just cheat? It doesn't make sense for someone to do both

Mate.... because in gaming.... like in any other sector of our modern society.... there are people who do whatever is needed to WIN... to get the edge... no matter what. For personal satisfaction, to be the best of their group, to have some achievement in life... dont matter....like Einstein said long time ago...human stupidity is infinite.
  • Options

Mate.... because in gaming.... like in any other sector of our modern society.... there are people who do whatever is needed to WIN... to get the edge... no matter what. For personal satisfaction, to be the best of their group, to have some achievement in life... dont matter....like Einstein said long time ago...human stupidity is infinite.

My questions is why would you cheat AND PAY for the game? Surely if you cheated you would have no incentive to pay as well.
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    Shame. I’m requesting all my money back this week. Not because of the cheating per se... (of course that will be my reason)... but because of them silencing content creators.
    This is very unethical and you are a bad person for doing this.

You're trying to game the system (see what I did there :wink: ) because of bad actors. Maybe I should use this logic to tell the government I want all my money in taxes back because some people don't pay taxes. You're just using this drama to serve your own agenda of getting your money back while benefiting from the in-game currency you paid for

I don't blame CG for pulling those two videos down because the message to the wider audience was that "you can cheat and get away with it"

You’re replying to something you know very little about and making broad assumptions. That is unethical and you, sir, are a bad person for doing this.

Furthermore, when a company makes hundreds of millions of dollars off of gaming addiction and very questionable borderline criminal pracyices I have little/no remorse requesting my money back and your defense of a very sketchy monetizing strategy that could very well be illegal very soon makes me question why you defend big giant corrupts with horrible reputations.

Very disappointed. Two can play at this game. 😆
  • Options
    They just banned McMole2 because he rightfully brought attention to the epic issue of cheating in this game. Insanity.
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Options
    They just banned McMole2 because he rightfully brought attention to the epic issue of cheating in this game. Insanity.

Yes McMole and Bulldog both have been banned. Bulldog says copyright infringement was cited for his ban. He sounds very upset in his final YouTube video.
  • Options

People have a right to know the extent of the problem with a game they’re pouring money into. They’ve done the community a service and paid the price
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options

Yes McMole and Bulldog both have been banned. Bulldog says copyright infringement was cited for his ban. He sounds very upset in his final YouTube video.

To be clear, what was banned? Their main swgoh accounts?
  • Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »

Yes
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »

Yes

Banning legit accounts while plenty of cheaters remain... makes sense
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    Options
    Never knew CG followed fight club rules.

First rule of cheaters in SWGOH: Dont talk about cheaters in SWGOH

Second rule of cheaters in SWGOH: DON'T TALK ABOUT CHEATERS IN SWGOH.

Let's just keep it nice and quiet so the company never has to spend any money. Easier to just ban whistleblowers, release some new content and wait for everyone to forget.

Honestly I don't blame the devs at all. I blame the board of shareholders who care about profits. I believe the actual developers love this game and fight for it, but are leashed by those who sit in a boardroom
  • DocDoom
    532 posts Member
    Options
    Another blunder from CG. I guess their post-Carrie philosophy is revealed for all to behold.
  • Options
    Seriously guys. Banning accounts of people pointing out the rampant cheating issue is beyond ludicrous. Way to destroy any good will you had left with the player base.
  • Kailen
    90 posts Member
    Options
    Given CG/EA's response, the answer is clear:

Cheating is allowed.

Exposing cheating is banned.

So there ya go.
  • Options
    It’s really shocking, now all of the other content creators are terrified to address the subject, it was a cowardly move from the jelly fish running the game but it’s worked I suppose. So, what I take from today is that calling out cheaters will get you some kind of ban, and cheating will get you top GaC & TW rewards. Bold move Cotton...
  • Azza
    245 posts Member
    Options
    Banning the whistleblower was a sad move.

Meanwhile getting cheater banned takes months and several reports from several players...
  • Options
    Trash game is becoming more trash. Bad move CG, bad move.
  • RogerRamjet
    3 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Just my two cents worth. CG will just bunker down and let the initial storm pass and then business as usual. If I was someone looking to start this game and read the latest posts I probably would not start. I think this is what CG really need to look at as a business model outlook. No new players, no fresh capital base. My confidence in the game being fair to all is now greatly diminished and the lack of ‘real’ and meaningful response is disappointing from CG. I for one will not be spending anything until something ‘visible’ is done. I for one tho do not hold out much hope on this front as bulldogs video evidently shows it can go on and on without detection. The question for whales should be, ‘Why spend when you can cheat to the top’?.
  • Options
    I’m not a fan of Bulldog getting banned because he exposed a flaw in your system.

You guys are so clueless you wouldn’t have even known he did it unless he was testing it to show it can be done.

It’s that he alerted the community that it can happen that you lost your minds. Now maybe you need to allocate resources into cheating so maybe you needed a scapegoat I don’t know. But this is a terrible way to handle your PR. Probably another area that needs more resources lol
This discussion has been closed.