These pictures show the two problems with GAC right now

Replies

• Options
    dimi4a wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    Fixer wrote: »
    If you put NS or Geo squads on defense you have planned to an extent sure and you made sure they have support toons by default and strong chemistry and even strong overall. But could you really look yourself in the mirror and say that took any form of ingenuity or skill or tactics.
    The tactics comes from the place you set then and the way you mod them. Placing certain teams if you have them is a no-brainer, yet setting them up to shut down typical counters is more about skill.

For instance, you can mod Geos to give Traya a hard time and the very least steal several banners if not a first time victory. You can mod your NS in a way in which attacking them with anything below Padmé's power level is a gamble. In this case, it starts turning into skill/strategy.
    I hate to break it to you, but this is not strategy. This is simply outspending your opponent (with money and or time invested)
    Is it, now? You can beat pretty much any opponent that does not have over two times your mod inventory if you just know where to place them.

Of course, as long as you pick gearing your favourite heroes over some no-name characters (which have more use), it's not going to work. But blaming every loss on being outmatched or outspent is starting to get an outdated excuse.

Except you forget that getting mods is pure RNG therefore no strategy involved here.

Getting mods is absolutely under your control and where the failure lies for people with bad mods.

You mean it's not pure RNG whether you'll get a high speed mod or not? Wow! The Force must be strong with you!

Many of the people complaining about RNG with mods are doing 0 or at a push 1 refresh of mod energy per day.

TVF is one of many who spends all 3 refreshes on mod energy every day.

He argues, quite correctly, that the second group of people are not being just lucky when they get more usable mods than the first group.
  • Options
    If you put NS or Geo squads on defense you have planned to an extent sure and you made sure they have support toons by default and strong chemistry and even strong overall. But could you really look yourself in the mirror and say that took any form of ingenuity or skill or tactics.
    The tactics comes from the place you set then and the way you mod them. Placing certain teams if you have them is a no-brainer, yet setting them up to shut down typical counters is more about skill.

For instance, you can mod Geos to give Traya a hard time and the very least steal several banners if not a first time victory. You can mod your NS in a way in which attacking them with anything below Padmé's power level is a gamble. In this case, it starts turning into skill/strategy.
    I hate to break it to you, but this is not strategy. This is simply outspending your opponent (with money and or time invested)
    Is it, now? You can beat pretty much any opponent that does not have over two times your mod inventory if you just know where to place them.

Of course, as long as you pick gearing your favourite heroes over some no-name characters (which have more use), it's not going to work. But blaming every loss on being outmatched or outspent is starting to get an outdated excuse.

Except you forget that getting mods is pure RNG therefore no strategy involved here.

Getting mods is absolutely under your control and where the failure lies for people with bad mods.

You mean it's not pure RNG whether you'll get a high speed mod or not? Wow! The Force must be strong with you!
    Here's a secret, mod farming is RNG-based for everyone. If someone has 35 20+ speed mods to your 5, they are not that much luckier, but more likely just farmed several times more mods than you did.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    [...]

Don’t waste your breath here.

I tried to make a similar point, but the typical response you will get is: well if somebody has better toons / ships then you s/he should win! The just invested their time/money smarter than you.

I think people just don’t understand the concept of “fair matchmaking”

Do you understand the concept that fair matches and even matches are not necessarily the same thing?

I've always heard it as "there's a difference between fair and equal". Fair is subjective, equal is measurable. There's no way to get universal consensus on "fair" and trying to do so is just a waste of everyone's time.

So, you agree with me. How wonderful :-)

Maybe, but unlikely. I'm not sure we have either right now but I'm also not sure there's a way to get to either. MM is always picking winners and losers in some form or fashion.

Well, the way I read it, what you wrote supports what I wrote.

A. Fair and even matches are not necessarily the same thing.
    B. Fair and even are two different things.

But, ok. Maybe not.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Jarvind wrote: »
    As always, "matchmaking" does not mean "you will only face rosters identical to your own." It just matches based on top 80 GP. It is not the matchmaking algorithm's job to ensure your matches are "fair." It's just there to ensure you are facing people in the same ballpark of general roster strength.

While I generally agree, this GAC I am facing a guy with 23 relic toons....compared to my 9. Now, he does have GAS as well, but I could overcome that if the rest of the top end of the rosters weren't so incredibly in his favor. Something still seems "off" - as relics were supposed to be reflected in top end GP - but 23 to 9 seems to indicate that that is not the case.

If your opponent's top-20 characters have higher GP than your top-20, then I assume that your rank 60-80 characters have higher GP than your opponent's rank 60-80 characters.

Nope - sorry, you know what assuming does. They're not. In fact, he has relic characters outside of his top 40. Mine are all in my top 20. His roster is stronger. 1-20, 20-40 and 40-80. Can I win? Sure. Would I consider him "in the same ball park"? Not at all.

The bold part seems contradictory to me.

Also, disregarding how your GP is distributed, your top-80 GP match. If your opponent built stronger characters and teams than you, then congrats to him. Let him have the benefit.
    But it is what it is. While I think the matchmaking is generally better than it used to be, it still has its flaws. GP is a poor measure of a units combat effectiveness. Any algorithm that leans heavily on GP (be it top 20, top 60, top 80 or even total) is going to have flaws. I'm all for defending CG when things warrant it - and they do more often than people think. But GAC matchmaking is far from perfected and still needs work.

The purpose of the algorithm is not to make perfectly even matches with a 50/50 chance of a win/loss. That's a common misconception.
    Especially in terms of accounting for relics. If someone has a 23 to 9 relic advantage, that indicates to me that relics (and g13, still) are not accurately reflected in GP.

However, your previous results put you in the same pool of players from which the groups of 8 are formed. There is a reason for that, be it your rosters, your strategies or your executions of your strategies (or previous (in)luck in MM).

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

There's strategy in the decision on how much you farm mods and slicing materials and how you use your slicing materials. You can increase your odds on receiving great mods.
  • Options

There's strategy in the decision on how much you farm mods and slicing materials and how you use your slicing materials. You can increase your odds on receiving great mods.

Only that those are contradictory strategies unless you spend significant coin or time. Farm x characters to obtain required meta character vs. farm required gear vs farm toons required for raids vs farm gear for relics... and we are not even talking about ships yet.

Yes, farming gear is important and neglected by many, but don’t tell me: get DR or get Malak if you can’t beat tour opponent and at the same time tel me: farm gear if you want to beat your opponent.

If doing all this is strategy, then strategy is simply outspending your opponent...
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

Only that those are contradictory strategies unless you spend significant coin or time. Farm x characters to obtain required meta character vs. farm required gear vs farm toons required for raids vs farm gear for relics... and we are not even talking about ships yet.

There's strategy in finding the right balance between the farms. Resource management.
    Yes, farming gear is important and neglected by many, but don’t tell me: get DR or get Malak if you can’t beat tour opponent and at the same time tel me: farm gear if you want to beat your opponent.

Why not?
    If doing all this is strategy, then strategy is simply outspending your opponent...

Out spending your opponents is only one strategy of many available. Your view on strategy is far too simple.
  • Options

Here's a secret, mod farming is RNG-based for everyone. If someone has 35 20+ speed mods to your 5, they are not that much luckier, but more likely just farmed several times more mods than you did.

Here's another secret: the frequency of mod farming doesn't eliminate RNG out of the equation. I farm mods every day, but still have just a few fast mods at best, not nearly as many or as fast when compared to other players.
    Any competitive player farms mods every day. The difference is between doing 0, 3, 4-6 or even more refreshes. Above 3 is not for everyone, but anything less than that won't get you far.
  • Options
    The frequency of mod farming doesn't eliminate RNG out of the equation. I farm mods every day, but still have just a few fast mods at best, not nearly as many or as fast when compared to other players.

Putting the same response three times suggests you haven't really got much to say, not to mention the fact that saying you farm mods every day is still irrelevant, the people before have all used examples of two people that farm mods every day, it means nothing. The difference is one farms more than the other, if you've farmed fewer mods than someone else, statistically you'll have worse mods at the end, RNG doesn't make that big a difference to that.
  • Options

There's strategy in finding the right balance between the farms. Resource management.

Why not?

Out spending your opponents is only one strategy of many available. Your view on strategy is far too simple.

To bring that back on topic. This is about GAC and strategy in that context.

If the only way (or “strategy”) to win in GAC is to outspend your opponent, then the GAC matchmaking failed in the first place.

And that is the only point I am making here. Your matchmaking might be great FOR YOU!

But there are people seriously disadvantaged by the current matchmaking logic. And. Telling those people that
    a) there is no problem and/or
    b) they just need to spend more
    Is NOT a real solution. It is just ignorance!
  • Options

You may do 5, 10 or even 50 refreshes per day for mod farming and it still won't change the fact that it's pure RNG what the stats of the mods will be.

I never said otherwise, but the fact of the matter is statistics mean that over an infinite number of attempts, the mods you want will exist, so the closer to an infinite number of attempts you come, the more likely its emergence will be. So yes, it's pure RNG, but that supports my argument not yours.

• Options

If the only way (or “strategy”) to win in GAC is to outspend your opponent, then the GAC matchmaking failed in the first place.

And that is the only point I am making here. Your matchmaking might be great FOR YOU!

But there are people seriously disadvantaged by the current matchmaking logic. And. Telling those people that

Spending is not the only strategy, as someone who has never spent and wins more than they lose. Nor does the matchmaking fall in my favour, I lost my last match due to a G13 Revan and Malak squad with enough speed it was impossible for me to defeat it. However, my opponents strategy was still necessary for them to win, they sacrificed two zones with weak defense, blocked me with the Revan team, and saved everything else for offense. It was a risky strategy, if I got through the Revan team I won, but it paid off for him. Just because you fall on the wrong side of matchmaking doesn't mean there is a problem, one side always will, it just means you either need to work harder in the other aspects of strategy or improve the area you are lacking, it's a choice.
  • Options

Great, now i only need an infinite amount of crystals and we are all set. :wink:

Or an infinite amount of time, if we're making impossible wishes who cares about logic, just ask for the right mods for free. :D
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    Why is it all or nothing with people here?

I never said there's no RNG in mods. The people who obtain more mods reduce their reliance on RNG.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options

I never said there's no RNG in mods. The people who obtain more mods reduce their reliance on RNG.

It's still a gamble no matter how you may twist this.

There’s no twisting. If the odds of a 20+ speed mod are 500-1, the guy getting 50 mods a day will end up with twice as many as the guy getting 25 mods a day - over a period of time.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options

Not understanding why RNG is only part of the equation proves that RNG is only part of the equation.
  • Options

That's like saying casinos are a bad business practice as their profit relies on luck. The numbers are biased in their favour, but it's still RNG. There's a reason they end up so well off, it's because they have a lot of runs and on balance it works out. Same with everything else.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

Yes, it's a gamble and the odds are the same each time you perform each type of gamble (Farm/upgrade/slice mods). However, the more often you gamble, the more often you hit the jackpot.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

The frequency of mod farming doesn't eliminate RNG out of the equation.

Did anyone claim, that it did?
    I farm mods every day, but still have just a few fast mods at best, not nearly as many or as fast when compared to other players.

You would probably have less great mods, if you had farmed only one day a week.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

Why not?

Again:

Broaden your mind a bit. Learn about other strategies than spending money. I don't spend money. I'm happy with my matchmaking. Same win rate as before championships were introduced and a win rate which matches how I perceive my own strength. No complaints here.

Claiming that spending is the only strategy available is ignorant.

• TVF
    36606 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Whatelse73 wrote: »
    Even if I "only" farmed 5 mods a day from the mod nodes, over the last 18 months I've been doing it that is 2,737.5 mods (547.5 days x 5). Getting 8 mods with secondary speed of 20+ out of over 2700 mods should be a huge issue for any player to realize. "

Meanwhile I've been farming 27 mods a day to your 5. That is 547.5 x 27 = 14782.5 mods to your 2737.5 mods. It doesn't matter what CG "should do" all that matters is what they've done. This is the system we have. And my mods are better than yours because I've farmed over 12,000 more mods than you over the last 18 months, not because of RNG.

And it took me 150 crystals a day. Not 1000.
  • Options
    Even if I "only" farmed 5 mods a day from the mod nodes, over the last 18 months I've been doing it that is 2,737.5 mods (547.5 days x 5). Getting 8 mods with secondary speed of 20+ out of over 2700 mods should be a huge issue for any player to realize. "

Meanwhile I've been farming 27 mods a day to your 5. That is 547.5 x 27 = 14782.5 mods to your 2737.5 mods. It doesn't matter what CG "should do" all that matters is what they've done. This is the system we have. And my mods are better than yours because I've farmed over 12,000 more mods than you over the last 18 months, not because of RNG.

That is still RNG , I don’t farm any mods yet still have had 10 mods with 20+ speed in the last 6 months , so for him to get 8 from 18months of farming would lead me to agree RNG mods are a problem .
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    Tezza23 wrote: »

That is still RNG , I don’t farm any mods yet still have had 10 mods with 20+ speed in the last 6 months , so for him to get 8 from 18months of farming would lead me to agree RNG mods are a problem .

Nobody wants to listen.

Mods have an RNG component. They are not 100% RNG. The discussion was about mods being 100% RNG, which they are not. I made no judgment on the system being good or bad.