Privacy, swgoh.gg and battle logs - making logs public is a TERRIBLE IDEA

Prev13456
WinstSmith93
57 posts Member
edited December 2019
I mean: why in the world anyone should be able to see their opponent's previous defensive setups, when GAC is the game mode all about defensive strategies?!

Replies

• Options
    Maybe it was a mistake and it will be fixed before the next GAC kicks in. There is time.
  • Options
    Potato211 wrote: »
    Maybe it was a mistake and it will be fixed before the next GAC kicks in. There is time.

Don't think so, here's the comment from swgoh.gg at Redditr9249uuehdtg.jpg
  • Options
    I agree that it's a terrible idea to have the logs public. Why is CG too lazy to just give us the battle logs in game?
  • Options
    It s fine. Who cares about GAC anyway
  • Options
    I do expect this being public to be unpopular. I personally love it though. Knowing what your opponent has placed on D in the past, and knowing they know yours, is an interesting strategy battle as well. I think it actually adds more to it.
  • Options
    Yeah...I thought it was cool at first, but then I realized the implications. Surely there's a way to make it so you can only view your own defense logs?
    Guild Leader of CHAL | Member of the WWL Alliance
  • Options
    Yeah...I thought it was cool at first, but then I realized the implications. Surely there's a way to make it so you can only view your own defense logs?

Of course there is. They can gate the GAC history with a login. Same day fix.

• Options
    I do expect this being public to be unpopular. I personally love it though. Knowing what your opponent has placed on D in the past, and knowing they know yours, is an interesting strategy battle as well. I think it actually adds more to it.

It's not a job, it's a game. Why making players spend more time and FORCING them to use swgoh.gg?
  • Options
    Seems like it might have to be public in order for CG to view the records for cheating.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Options

No such way, even more - it's said they gonna get your data and make it public even if you don't have or delete swgoh.gg account, it's crazyoj6dansminfy.jpg
  • Options
    I like it. You had the option to pour over your opponents roster and strategize a plan before. This just adds another level of strategy.
  • Options
    kalidor wrote: »
    Seems like it might have to be public in order for CG to view the records for cheating.

Lol.its their own data. They can query it in a few seconds for battles in question. If they have to resort to looking at their own data through a 3rd party site god help us all.
  • Options
    kalidor wrote: »

WAT? Devs have all the data, just can't / don't bother to code the tool for catching cheaters
  • Options
    denkrob wrote: »
    I like it. You had the option to pour over your opponents roster and strategize a plan before. This just adds another level of strategy.

No, it undermines the privacy of my strategy. I hate the idea of making it public
  • Options
    denkrob wrote: »

No, it undermines the privacy of my strategy. I hate the idea of making it public

You have the ability to also see theirs. That wrinkle makes it a clean. I’d gladly show you my last defenses if I could see yours.
  • Options
    +1 to this being a bad idea.....no one else should be able to see what I used on offense and placed on defense in a round outside of the opponent for that round.
  • Options
    Between this, LS Geo TB, the Malak event thing...twice...plus, and all the other recent missteps, I have to ask...

After 4+ years how are you guys still so bad at running this game? :D
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    So, what's the point of hiding your rear squads if your opponent can just look and see what you placed there the last round? If you're going to make the data public, go all the way and reveal the back territories. If you don't want to do that, then you probably shouldn't make the data public.
  • Options
    Everyone uses pretty much the same 10 or so teams. Does it really matter?
  • Options
    +1 to this being a bad idea.....no one else should be able to see what I used on offense and placed on defense in a round outside of the opponent for that round.

I’m not trying to be a smart ****, but ask a legitimate question (and not specifically to you, but to everyone saying this). Are you aware that people “scout” your team by asking your previous opponents what you placed? And there are guilds/discords that actual keep data on opponents they have faced.
  • Options

I’m not trying to be a smart ****, but ask a legitimate question (and not specifically to you, but to everyone saying this). Are you aware that people “scout” your team by asking your previous opponents what you placed? And there are guilds/discords that actual keep data on opponents they have faced.

Why worsen the problem? To get rid of this type of thing they should have made who you face anonymous to you with a view of their roster. The only good making the names available has done in my experience is getting a nasty comment from an opponent every other GAC.

• Options

The only problem now is that people who don't know about the feature, which is located outside the game, are at a strategic disadvantage to those who do know about the GAC history feature.

I know there have always been those sleezy discord servers where people ask if they've faced x and y opponent and what they used for D, but CG has no control over that. They do have control over this and they shouldn't have such a pivotal piece of information only publicly displayed outside the game. Battle logs in game should've definitely come first imo.

I think they wanted it to be public for all so they could stop blatant cheating, but all this is going to do is catch a wave of cheaters from the most recent GACs, and force the rest of them to just cheat smarter, much like the ones you talked about in your recent vid Bulldog.

I want battle logs, I just don't want them implemented this way. I'm honestly surprised that CG went with doing it this way to start given that putting a strategic advantage on a non-game site is a little outside the spirit of a mobile game.
  • Options
    Vertigo wrote: »

The only problem now is that people who don't know about the feature, which is located outside the game, are at a strategic disadvantage to those who do know about the GAC history feature.

I know there have always been those sleezy discord servers where people ask if they've faced x and y opponent and what they used for D, but CG has no control over that. They do have control over this and they shouldn't have such a pivotal piece of information only publicly displayed outside the game. Battle logs in game should've definitely come first imo.

I think they wanted it to be public for all so they could stop blatant cheating, but all this is going to do is catch a wave of cheaters from the most recent GACs, and force the rest of them to just cheat smarter, much like the ones you talked about in your recent vid Bulldog.

I want battle logs, I just don't want them implemented this way. I'm honestly surprised that CG went with doing it this way to start given that putting a strategic advantage on a non-game site is a little outside the spirit of a mobile game.

What they've done is ridiculous and so out of touch on so many levels. All of the cheating could've been solved by a few weeks of a developer working on some detection code.. but alas there is no money in that is there.
  • Options
    HokieFiend wrote: »

Why worsen the problem? To get rid of this type of thing they should have made who you face anonymous to you with a view of their roster. The only good making the names available has done in my experience is getting a nasty comment from an opponent every other GAC.

This made me chuckle because I personally give and receive compliments when someone does well. I've never actually had someone send me anything nasty but gotten lots of compliments.
  • Options

(1) It's FAR not everyone, maybe not more than 1-5%. I've never been asked and don't know anyone who was.
    (2) How long ago you tried to play this mobile game on mobile device? By implementing this to swgoh.gg they literally FORCE players to use bigger screens (and side site) or struggle, it's 1000% bad playing experience for mobile game.
    (3) Those are examples of private interactions
    (4) As stated at OP - it's just wrong to disclose strategies at "surprise startegies" mode
  • Options

It's simple why they did it. This didn't cost them much labor. Instead swgog.gg did the hard work and they will reap the benefits from advertisement income.
  • Options
    Lanbo wrote: »

It's simple why they did it. This didn't cost them much labor. Instead swgog.gg did the hard work and they will reap the benefits from advertisement income.

Still it was possible to make data private for swgoh.gg users (as there are logins and passwords there) so they see only their battles and could (probably) determine cheating. Why making all the data public for future opponents?
  • Options
    Only people who dislike this are the ones who set the same defense every time. It’s not a big deal, plus most people won’t bother looking people up because effort.
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options
    So, what's the point of hiding your rear squads if your opponent can just look and see what you placed there the last round? If you're going to make the data public, go all the way and reveal the back territories. If you don't want to do that, then you probably shouldn't make the data public.

It's called strategy, mix it up. Also stop looking at my rear.
  • Options

Tbf anyone who is serious about this game mode will know about this feature pretty quickly. Maybe a few somewhat competitive players may hide under a rock for a period of time and not know initially, but wouldn't be long before they found out.

I agree about battle logs but i also see what bulldog is saying. We all have access to this so it doesn't give anyone in particular an unfair advantage, it just may change the way we strategise somewhat.

I guarantee there'll be players who, right now, are going through all of the top players GAC history and noting down defensive and offensive teams used. If it helps them, then good, they deserve to win for doing the research. That's a strategy now. Scouting your opponent ahead of time, another strategy.