Privacy, swgoh.gg and battle logs - making logs public is a TERRIBLE IDEA

Replies

• Options
    Deal with it. It’s better than losing to blatant cheaters.

Anyone can determine blatant cheating in their own private swgoh.gg accounts if they like, no need to make data public
  • Options
    I personally really like this. It's funny how as a player base we constantly rip on CG for lack of communication and transparency, but when it comes to us being the same people are all up in arms. In lower divisions, this won't really matter as people don't have developed enough rosters to mix up defenses, and the whole point of GAC is to use a full, well rounded roster better than your opponent. Mix up your defenses and the battlelogs won't matter. I'm all for full transparency, even if that means the players have to be also.
  • Options
    Vertigo wrote: »
    I do expect this being public to be unpopular. I personally love it though. Knowing what your opponent has placed on D in the past, and knowing they know yours, is an interesting strategy battle as well. I think it actually adds more to it.

The only problem now is that people who don't know about the feature, which is located outside the game, are at a strategic disadvantage to those who do know about the GAC history feature.

I know there have always been those sleezy discord servers where people ask if they've faced x and y opponent and what they used for D, but CG has no control over that. They do have control over this and they shouldn't have such a pivotal piece of information only publicly displayed outside the game. Battle logs in game should've definitely come first imo.

I think they wanted it to be public for all so they could stop blatant cheating, but all this is going to do is catch a wave of cheaters from the most recent GACs, and force the rest of them to just cheat smarter, much like the ones you talked about in your recent vid Bulldog.

I want battle logs, I just don't want them implemented this way. I'm honestly surprised that CG went with doing it this way to start given that putting a strategic advantage on a non-game site is a little outside the spirit of a mobile game.

If you're honestly surprised that out of the various ways to implement battle logs, CG chose one of the worst ways, you have NOT been paying attention for the past 2 months.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    So there is a way to deativate all swgoh account? (since there is no way to hide the info)
  • Options
    1. Where on swgoh.gg do you see this I can't seem to find it?

2. Do you need an account there to see it?

3. If you do not have account there,can other people still see what you used?

If map has hidden zone (tired of it, liked when maps changed) then making logs public i dumb, in fact I just don't like public logs period. We all cried for logs because they ARE badly needed, but they should not be public! Good grief
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Vertigo wrote: »
    I do expect this being public to be unpopular. I personally love it though. Knowing what your opponent has placed on D in the past, and knowing they know yours, is an interesting strategy battle as well. I think it actually adds more to it.

The only problem now is that people who don't know about the feature, which is located outside the game, are at a strategic disadvantage to those who do know about the GAC history feature.

I know there have always been those sleezy discord servers where people ask if they've faced x and y opponent and what they used for D, but CG has no control over that. They do have control over this and they shouldn't have such a pivotal piece of information only publicly displayed outside the game. Battle logs in game should've definitely come first imo.

I think they wanted it to be public for all so they could stop blatant cheating, but all this is going to do is catch a wave of cheaters from the most recent GACs, and force the rest of them to just cheat smarter, much like the ones you talked about in your recent vid Bulldog.

I want battle logs, I just don't want them implemented this way. I'm honestly surprised that CG went with doing it this way to start given that putting a strategic advantage on a non-game site is a little outside the spirit of a mobile game.

If you're honestly surprised that out of the various ways to implement battle logs, CG chose one of the worst ways, you have NOT been paying attention for the past 2 months.

Can't say you're wrong.... I really should've known better at this point lol.
    dalosto147 wrote: »
    So there is a way to deativate all swgoh account? (since there is no way to hide the info)

Nope, but to make it fair, now anyone, even if you don't have swgoh.gg account has a profile from their ally code to find their GAC history. So no one can hide and everyone can be found. Equality.
  • Options
    There is a bigger problem here. If the player doesn't consent to the data transfer to swgoh.gg that transfer of data is illegal according to European law...
  • Options
    charlyw64 wrote: »
    There is a bigger problem here. If the player doesn't consent to the data transfer to swgoh.gg that transfer of data is illegal according to European law...

there is probably a thing saying you accept that in the terms and conditions page
  • charlyw64
    127 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    flux_rono wrote: »

there is probably a thing saying you accept that in the terms and conditions page

That wouldn't apply as for all existing players this is a change in the terms and services and swgoh.gg doesn't belong to CG/EA. So this happens to be a third party with which you have to have a dedicated data processing contract and which requires written consent!

Edit: I checked. They are a third party data processing agent, so there is a breach of the GDPR if CG/EA gives them access to all user profiles!
  • Options
    So, cheating is still possible?

If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a Vote of No Confidence in CG's leadership!
  • Options
    flux_rono wrote: »

That wouldn't apply as for all existing players this is a change in the terms and services and swgoh.gg doesn't belong to CG/EA. So this happens to be a third party with which you have to have a dedicated data processing contract and which requires written consent!

Edit: I checked. They are a third party data processing agent, so there is a breach of the GDPR if CG/EA gives them access to all user profiles!

It doesnt requires written consent (I truly hope you havent manually signed for every site that needed your authorization since GDPR came in lol).

They can just add this condition into the in-game TOS and could just not let play the game to anyone not accepting them.

And I don't even know if you could do anything GDPR related because they share in-game data, this is not personal information we are talking about.
  • Options
    I actually really like it :)
    Now you actually have to think about strategies and cant't just repeat your usual deployment.
  • Options
    This was lazy and just reinforces their attitude to the game. This should have been an in-game feature, but their skeleton crew doesn’t have the time, so it’s farmed out to a third party website.
  • Options
    Palanthian wrote: »
    This was lazy and just reinforces their attitude to the game. This should have been an in-game feature, but their skeleton crew doesn’t have the time, so it’s farmed out to a third party website.

Better than not addressing it at all. Plus I for once find it more convenient on a bigger screen
  • Options
    It's better than nothing, and as long time player I know that is the alternative.

A compromise could be to take the data offline during GACs. Then we can all analyze everything after the matches, but no during each set of 3 battles. It must be before you know your GAC group obviously.
  • Options
    Jordison wrote: »
    And I don't even know if you could do anything GDPR related because they share in-game data, this is not personal information we are talking about.

swgoh.gg share with google - and they have enough data to create a full profile including all personal data. So this move by CG is definitely illegal unless they get explicit consent by every player whose data they share!
  • micha_15
    36 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

swgoh.gg share with google - and they have enough data to create a full profile including all personal data. So this move by CG is definitely illegal unless they get explicit consent by every player whose data they share!

Based on that argument all data of swgoh.gg would be illegal

And btw read the ToS:
    EA also may collect, use, store, transmit and publicly display statistical data regarding game play (including scores, rankings and achievements), or identify content that is created and shared by you with other players.
  • Options
    micha_15 wrote: »
    Palanthian wrote: »

Better than not addressing it at all. Plus I for once find it more convenient on a bigger screen

Mobile games should not require third party sites and big screens to play comfortably, it's 100% BAD playing experience
  • Options

No - previously you had to give them access to your account, giving swgoh.gg the necessary consent to process your data. They were the first party with which you had a contract to provide the service. Now the situation changes as you have the data processing contract with CG and they will involuntarily give your data to a third party. And that definitely is illegal unless you give them consent to do so.
  • Options
    It's better than nothing, and as long time player I know that is the alternative.

A compromise could be to take the data offline during GACs. Then we can all analyze everything after the matches, but no during each set of 3 battles. It must be before you know your GAC group obviously.

Again: everyone can analyze anything they want in their own private swgoh.gg accounts, there's absolutely NO need to make data public
  • LordGrahck
    344 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    "Oh boo whoo!! My strategies are no longer a secret!"

NEWSFLASH! They really weren't that secret before. Simple deductive reasoning and research before could reveal most strategies. All this new feature does is take out the middle man.

Personally, I find it comforting to know that I can go somewhere and find out what my opponent used to take out my defense. Not only does it show me what they did and what my opponent considered the biggest challenge, but it shows me where I can improve.

Instead of crying about it, get your diapers changed and use this new log feature to your advantage.
  • Options

Then I don't know why you are still here and not in court if this seems so obvious.
  • Options
    LordGrahck wrote: »
    "Oh boo whoo!! My strategies are no longer a secret!"

NEWSFLASH! They really weren't that secret before. Simple deductive reasoning and research before could reveal most strategies. All this new feature does is take out the middle man.

Personally, I find it comforting to know that I can go somewhere and find out what my opponent used to take out my defense. Not only does it show me what they did and what my opponent considered the biggest challenge, but it shows me where I can improve.

Instead of crying about it, get your diapers changed and use this new log feature to your advantage.

(1) Not everyone finds it comfortable to have their previous def strategies revealed BEFORE the match, reviewing YOUR OWN battle logs is 100% nice feature to have.
    (2) Mobile game should stay mobile and not FORCE using third party web site which is not designed for mobile devices.
    (3) Anyway it's time-consuming (and if you don't "research" - you gonna lose much more often than before) which may lead to burn-outs and another wave of exodus.
  • Options
    I set nearly all the time same defense and I appreciate the public data.
    My roaster is not as flexible to have big changes to my gac strategy. I also do think, that the majority would not change the defense strategy.
    But now, I can learn how my troops have been defeated and I can work on changes.
  • Options

This is not a problem of gdpr. Ea/CG share only non personal data and this is not part of gdpr. And even if Google uses big data to combine your gac results with your farming progress, it is still not gdpr relevant.
  • Options
    +1 to this being a bad idea.....no one else should be able to see what I used on offense and placed on defense in a round outside of the opponent for that round.

I’m not trying to be a smart ****, but ask a legitimate question (and not specifically to you, but to everyone saying this). Are you aware that people “scout” your team by asking your previous opponents what you placed? And there are guilds/discords that actual keep data on opponents they have faced.

Hopefully those people find something better to do with their lives, because that's probably the saddest thing I've read player-wise involving this game.
  • Options
    If there is always a 100% perfect solution to a problem then the problem should never existed at all.

I think this solution, even if not perfect, will fix or reduce the hacking problem. It will be also easier for CG when someone report, to see if there is a problem with this GA using swgoh.gg.

• Options
    Jefferx wrote: »
    If there is always a 100% perfect solution to a problem then the problem should never existed at all.

I think this solution, even if not perfect, will fix or reduce the hacking problem. It will be also easier for CG when someone report, to see if there is a problem with this GA using swgoh.gg.

They "fix" (not really) a problem of like few hundreds cheaters by making GAC mode much worse for almost every player, without a single word from CG officials. It's not "not perfect solution", it's terrible way to introduce battle logs feature, imho.
  • Options

And btw read the ToS:
    EA also may collect, use, store, transmit and publicly display statistical data regarding game play (including scores, rankings and achievements), or identify content that is created and shared by you with other players.

Yes, we accepted to give our data to EA. And we created an account on swgoh.gg and accepted to get our data there too. But EA giving the datas away to someone else (swgoh.gg) without the permission of the user is illegal. Welcome to the EU smartash.
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn