Privacy, swgoh.gg and battle logs - making logs public is a TERRIBLE IDEA

Replies

• Options
    BlackIrish wrote: »
    charlyw64 wrote: »
    There is a bigger problem here. If the player doesn't consent to the data transfer to swgoh.gg that transfer of data is illegal according to European law...

That is a problem that does not exist.

You're grasping at straws - likely because you're part of a guild who has supposedly 'proprietary squads & mods' you don't want to be public.

It's either that or you're one of the cheaters who just had the rug pulled out. Either way, the vast majority of the player base wanted this. And CG/EA as well as SWGOH.gh deserve some praise for getting it done!

Neither is true, I am one of the former players of the game and I couldn't care less - except that I take exception to breaches of the data protection law. And yes, I may end up reporting EA/swgoh.gg to the authorities. Let's see how they like it if they have to cough up 10% of their total cashflow (not earnings)... One company just got fined 10 million euro for a one person breach.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    Neither is true, I am one of the former players of the game and I couldn't care less - except that I take exception to breaches of the data protection law. And yes, I may end up reporting EA/swgoh.gg to the authorities. Let's see how they like it if they have to cough up 10% of their total cashflow (not earnings)... One company just got fined 10 million euro for a one person breach.

Don't think I see how EA is giving any of our personal data to third party companies without our consent...
  • Options
    There is a bigger problem here. If the player doesn't consent to the data transfer to swgoh.gg that transfer of data is illegal according to European law...

That is a problem that does not exist.

You're grasping at straws - likely because you're part of a guild who has supposedly 'proprietary squads & mods' you don't want to be public.

It's either that or you're one of the cheaters who just had the rug pulled out. Either way, the vast majority of the player base wanted this. And CG/EA as well as SWGOH.gh deserve some praise for getting it done!

Swgoh.gg dude just said this at Reddit2uph083bza3g.jpg
  • Options
    Tell that to the people that lose their jobs because the data revealed that they played the game at work (for example) and it got into the hands of their savvy employer...

Please explain how a "savvy" employer, who apparently already suspects the employee plays GoH and does so at work, is going to figure out the in-game user name of someone who works for them and tell from GAC battle logs "where" they accessed the game. I've officially heard it all now, lol.

Good luck with that. Your personal data is not the same as your gameplay data. As always, the people threatening legal action never bother to read the TOS they agreed to by playing the game. Per the EA "Use of Data" policy: "If you participate in online services, EA also may collect, use, store, transmit and publicly display statistical data regarding game play (including scores, rankings and achievements), or identify content that is created and shared by you with other players." You agreed to allow them to transmit and publicly display your in-game data the second you accessed the game. By the way, per the TOS, you also agreed to a dispute resolution procedure, which includes binding arbitration, to resolve any legal disputes you have with the company, lol.
  • Options
    What they've done is ridiculous and so out of touch on so many levels. All of the cheating could've been solved by a few weeks of a developer working on some detection code.. but alas there is no money in that is there.

Actually, that is not true. The issue resides client side where the cheating exploits occur. They could write server side "detection code" until they're blue in the face, and people will still find a way to exploit it client side. Empowering self-policing is a big step in right direction.
    What they've done is ridiculous and so out of touch on so many levels. All of the cheating could've been solved by a few weeks of a developer working on some detection code.. but alas there is no money in that is there.

Actually, that is not true. The issue resides client side where the cheating exploits occur. They could write server side "detection code" until they're blue in the face, and people will still find a way to exploit it client side. Empowering self-policing is a big step in right direction.

It does not matter one bit that the cheating occurs client side. There are mechanisms they can put in place to detect this or even leave everything as it is if they chose to and parse the data coming in server side for cheat detection. Just because someone adjusts a little defense and offense does not mean it can't be discovered.
  • Saada
    664 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Saada wrote: »
    I have to say this uproar is a joke. Everyone should be setting squads based on your opponent anyway so should always change. You could use this info to your advantage by letting your opponent think one thing by seeing your past set ups then surprise them with something new. As for the hidden territory, people would do as I do and use the least squad necessary to beat the upfront squads and save squads for the back if I can or if there is a dr/malak up front for example and I have to use my arena squad to win then that's what I do and if it means that I don't have a counter for that hidden territory, that's part of the game.

Knowing what's at the back or not isn't going to matter so live with it and enjoy the data as I will and lots of others will too. Or sook and still put up with the data anyway, it's your choice.......

Why exactly you believe you can tell everyone how to play GAC or how to feel about it? Tell us why making data public is good or don't bother to comment, noone needs your advices actually.

I did state why it's good so learn to read. I stated that this doesn't compromise people's defence since people would be using as low tier as possible to beat any front squads anyway and this now can be a tool for misdirection, pretty sure they are some reasons why making the data public is good and shouldn't be a concern to anyone.

oh yeah, no one needs your advice either. So shut up then
  • Options
    @No_Try what are your thoughts on this issue?
  • YetiYeti
    434 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Are we allowed to post GAC histories of cheaters? Because there are some screenshots of a certain Guild (With proprietary squads) member clearly using APK to clean up GAC Losses.
  • Options
    YetiYeti wrote: »
    Are we allowed to post GAC histories of cheaters? Because there are some screenshots of a certain Guild (With proprietary squads) member clearly using APK to clean up GAC Losses.

No, that would fall under the "name and shame" clause. PM them to CG_Leviathan.
  • Options
    StarSon wrote: »

Does anyone else see the irony here?

• Options
    Caiaphas wrote: »
    So let me get this straight ... I can find what teams my opponent put on defense in previous GAC, look at their front line in the current GAC, know in advance what they have in their back line, and plan all my attacks in advance? Knowing their back line? And the opponent can do the same for me?

No nonononono... this is not good. Might as well just reveal the back line defense in the game and save us the trouble of checking swgoh.gg, while feeding them ad revenue.

edit: But it opens a new strategy ... let the opponent think that you have kept the same back line, but change it from previous GAC to try to trip them up.

You don't know what their back line is!!!!

And maybe, just maybe, they'll plan on you thinking you do and throw you a curve. Then what?

You still can't see their back line. So it's still prepare like you did before. Nothing changes that way...
  • Options
    HokieFiend wrote: »
    StarSon wrote: »

Does anyone else see the irony here?

No, because it's not ironic. The "name and shame" clause is a forum rule, not an internet rule. As always, if you suspect cheating, send details to Leviathan and they'll sort through it. Should be much easier now that you can send a link to the GAC History on .gg.
  • Options
    I love this. I'm not seeing why this is an issue. This doesn't change my strategy of setting more defensive teams then you have counters for. This might change those that like to set trash on defense and then hope they have the cleaner wins, who knows. I just want the cheating to stop.
  • Ultra
    11506 posts Moderator
    Options
    Post your swgoh @Crazygone510

I want to see if your NS are as good as you’ve claimed them to be
  • Options

Send a private message to CG_LucifersDaddy and/or CG_Leviathan

@YetiYeti
  • vincentlondon
    4527 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I suspect some of the people who complain about this GA battle log update could simply be some of the cheaters who now are more at risk to be discovered.
    They just use the argument that their defense squad should be secret as an excuse
  • Options

@YetiYeti

Yea, I msg'd both a few minutes ago. It was amazing looking at that guys battle logs... Wiggs is apparently a hardcounter for everyone. Beats any team he's thrown them at in about 90 seconds with full health and protection.
  • Options

@YetiYeti

Yea, I msg'd both a few minutes ago. It was amazing looking at that guys battle logs... Wiggs is apparently a hardcounter for everyone. Beats any team he's thrown them at in about 90 seconds with full health and protection.

Dont expect a answer from them.
    Or get a confortably chair.
  • Options
    dalosto147 wrote: »

@YetiYeti

Dont expect a answer from them.
    Or get a confortably chair.

Honestly, in the past, I've been really successful via this route. Just more curious if they'll act on battle logs and such, but theyve been pretty swift with going after people hacking in the Arenas.
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »

I want to see if your NS are as good as you’ve claimed them to be

I'm going to hazard a guess that his perpetual 1st place finishes with them in arena indicates that they are as well.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Anyone played a sport where you watched film on your opponent? That's what this is. Good change imo.
  • Options
    I suspect some of the people who complain about this GA battle log update could simply be some of the cheaters who now are more at risk to be discovered.
    They just use the argument that their defense squad should be secret as an excuse

I suspect some of the players who support this GA battle log update could simply be some entitled, spoiled people who can't make a good strategy to save their lives if it depended upon it to actually put an effort on their gameplay and reach the kyber league by themselves.

See, that's the issue of overgeneralizing things and ways of thinking and presenting your opinion as a fact instead of looking at the whole picture. If you don't remotely see the ramifications of this update you are blind, essentially this update is killing the game mode, there's no strategy anymore. It will all be put everything on defense or save everything for offense, there won't be any balance moving forward.
  • Ultra
    11506 posts Moderator
    Options
    That hotutils thing is neat. Is that patreon only?

I had a good chuckle reading your GAC history regarding other team matches
  • Options
    @Crazygone510 Believe it or not there's people who put their best squads on defense, crazy i know... they end up being what i call the "no shows" and to me is all about the result not the journey, that's why i bust my butt every single GAC there is. This is my favorite game mode and watching it die really annoys me.