Why go for Rey

Replies

• Slaveen
    481 posts Member
    Options
    Gifafi wrote: »
    "59 banners"

edit: the reason to go for rey is simple. 2 GL's>>>>1 GL. I mean, duh

As previously stated about 83 times on this thread: nobody is saying Rey is a bad toon. She is without a doubt one of the best 4 toons to have in the game, arguably the second best. However, being one of 2 Galactic Legends in the game - and released side by side no less - there is no reason anyone without a GL would go for her before SLKR (who is obviously #1). So again... the point of the thread... why would anyone who hasn't started a GL farm yet decide to go for Rey?
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    Slaveen wrote: »
    "59 banners"

As previously stated about 83 times on this thread: nobody is saying Rey is a bad toon. She is without a doubt one of the best 4 toons to have in the game, arguably the second best. However, being one of 2 Galactic Legends in the game - and released side by side no less - there is no reason anyone without a GL would go for her before SLKR (who is obviously #1). So again... the point of the thread... why would anyone who hasn't started a GL farm yet decide to go for Rey?

sure, but what's been stated in the thread 41,7 times is that rey is garbagetrash who has a low winrate and is bad on defense so gives up 59 banners to two toons and other such nonsense, which is what I was referring to. I also highly doubt that it's going to end up slkr #1 for everyone, bc more is always coming down the road. We'll see.

I went for slkr bc I like darkside (and not bc of rose, lol eyeroll.gif at "those people"). I have been very happy with my decision but I will also go for rey, bc like I said 2 gl's >> 1 gl.

I did lol at "arguably" second best. I mean, I guess arguments can technically be made for anything.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Slaveen
    481 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I went for slkr bc I like darkside (and not bc of rose, lol eyeroll.gif at "those people"). I have been very happy with my decision but I will also go for rey, bc like I said 2 gl's >> 1 gl.

I did lol at "arguably" second best. I mean, I guess arguments can technically be made for anything.

I went for Rey for 2 reasons: firstly, after the initial kit reveals, there was unanimous agreement that she would be the better PvP toon and I care more about advantages in arena, GAC, and TW because I enjoy those game modes more than PvE modes. Secondly, my Resistance toons were better geared and starred than my FO toons were when I made a choice to start farming one faction over the other.

Regarding "lol'ing" at Rey being "arguably" the second best toon in the game: sure, if you take every toon at face value, she is unquestionably the second best toon in the game, only behind SLKR, who is unquestionably the very best. However, when you factor in the requirements for Rey, she is not necessarily the second best investment in the game. Perhaps I should have clarified that point: investment is not the same as raw power/value. Knowing what I know now, if I had the choice to pick any 2 toons in the game to receive for free, of course I'm going to pick SLKR and Rey... in that order.

But when you factor in the more difficult gearing requirements, however marginal they may be, for worse toons to get a clearly second-rate Galactic Legend (but Galactic Legend nonetheless), you could argue that JKLS and Wat Tambor are better toons for their investments.

Rey requirements: 4 good toons (JTR, BB8, RH Poe, RH Finn), 3 decent toons (RT, Scavenger, Holdo), 4 trash toons (RP, Rose, Vet Chewy, Poe), and a very "meh" capital ship.

SLKR requirements: 1 elite toon (EP), 5 good toons (Hux, Sith Trooper, FO Officer, FO Stormtrooper, KRU), 2 decent toons (Kylo Ren & Phasma), 3 trash toons (Vet Chewy & the pilots), and a decent capital ship, clearly better than the Raddus.

JKLS requirements: 4 elite toons (CLS, Vader, C-3P0, OG Chewy), 2 good toons (Wampa, Hoda), 1 decent toon (CPT Han Solo), 2 trash toons (Lando & ROLO), an elite ship (****), and a decent ship (Wedge's X-wing)

Wat Tambor requirements: the 5 Geos who are a great team to have in your roster and you only need them at G12 to get Wat shards.

If you view it from that lens, there is a legitimate argument to be made for ranking Rey as 4th in terms of best toon investments... at least, from a certain point of view (Old Ben pun intended).
    Post edited by Slaveen on
  • Ggdjqjchsabjdj
    780 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    "59 banners"

As previously stated about 83 times on this thread: nobody is saying Rey is a bad toon.
    Mirkraag wrote: »
    rey is harder to beat on defense, I have no idea what you are talking about

Lol is this a serious post ?

yes
    ejsteven wrote: »
    Umm... no.

disagree
    Rey is doomed to crapiness
    Rey is crap.

End of the story
    I have a bad feeling about this.
  • Slaveen
    481 posts Member
    Options
    "59 banners"

As previously stated about 83 times on this thread: nobody is saying Rey is a bad toon.

yes
    Umm... no.

disagree
    Rey is crap.

End of the story

Do you understand the difference between literal and figurative?

Nobody in their right mind believes Rey isn’t the second best toon in the game.

Nobody in their right mind believes that there is currently parity in value between Rey and SLKR.

Nobody in their right mind believes there shouldn’t be parity between Rey and SLKR.

Nobody in their right mind believes SLKR isn’t unquestionably superior to Rey in the overwhelming majority of categories by which to measure value.
  • CosmicJ
    348 posts Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/Hip048564OI

Just gonna leave this here.
  • AlexanderG
    1928 posts Member
    Options
    "59 banners"

yes
    Umm... no.

disagree
    Rey is crap.

End of the story

Nobody in their right mind believes that there is currently parity in value between Rey and SLKR.

Nobody in their right mind believes there shouldn’t be parity between Rey and SLKR.

Nobody in their right mind believes SLKR isn’t unquestionably superior to Rey in the overwhelming majority of categories by which to measure value.

So when you say nobody is saying in the thread has said Rey is rubbish and then someone shows you that exact thing then somehow you're still correct.

K.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    AlexanderG wrote: »
    "59 banners"

yes
    Umm... no.

disagree
    Rey is crap.

End of the story

So when you say nobody is saying in the thread has said Rey is rubbish and then someone shows you that exact thing then somehow you're still correct.

K.

Pefect forum logic.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Mirkraag
    509 posts Member
    Options
    I love those guys that faint to be so dumb to understand what people really says.

I am quoted but already said that i meant "compared to slkr". Common basic sense.

Please stop, you only fool yourself and are simply ridiculous 😂
  • Nitsua
    22 posts Member
    Options
    Kylo's one of my most favorite Star Wars characters, so I knew I was going for him no matter what, even though Rey sounded like & looked like the better PVP character initially. I have him now, with his ultimate, & I was even able to get him as the baby-est of dolphins ($20 total spent in the last several years). I was starting the long, long grind to Rey now that I've farmed Kylo's ultimate, but I find that I'm asking myself... should I? Is she worth the investment, resource & time-wise? Especially as a virtual F2P?

Genuinely, as objectively as possible (because I get that some people are heated & feeling burned), for those that currently have her or have both her & Kylo, should I go for her? Is she a worthwhile investment, or am I better off continuing to work on my 501st, or JKL?
    I imagine if she gets a buff that makes her more resistant to Vader then it's an easier "yes" or "sure" -- though Vader himself is perfect as he is, imo, being one of the most iconic characters in all of film & all, don't change him.

So what are your as-objective-as-possible opinions on encouraging someone who already has Kylo to go for Rey right now, primarily given the current ease of accessibility & success rate of the Vader counter?
  • Options
    @Nitsua
    You're better off going for JKL and improving your 501st and Shaak Ti to the point you can earn KAM shards.

And it's not that she's bad. It's just that other toons are nearly as good for a LOT less investment.

You already have a GL. If you can't do well enough on LS Geo TB, well, Jedi Luke does that at least as well as GL Rey. And sure, having both would be even better, but if one is quicker to get, why not get the quick one first and win a bunch of battles for a few months while bringing up your Resistance to event requirements?

If you want to score well in raids, you already have SLKR to solo every raid there is, so Rey doesn't add anything there.

If you're worried about Arena, I don't think there's much difference between her & SLKR.

If you're worried about GAC, Rey makes things worse by forcing you to break up other meta squads to complete her team - so you lose 1-3 other squads to get Rey's. Sure, Rey's squad is better, but instead of just adding a squad, you're effectively trading a squad (or as many as 3 other squads) to get one better one. Jedi Luke isn't in broad use yet, so going there gives you a team that others are unfamiliar with fighting and is still amazingly powerful...and on top of that, you get to keep all the squads you had already!

So if you have SLKR, Rey doesn't help in Arena. She hurts you as much as she helps in GAC because of breaking up other squads. She's completely useless for raids. Literally the only advantage you get with her if you already have SLKR is in the mode where you can't use SLKR: LS TB. But since Luke takes care of that just as well for a much lower investment... there's no reason to go Rey unless you've already g13'd all your resistance toons.

• Slaveen
    481 posts Member
    Options
    "59 banners"

yes
    Umm... no.

disagree
    Rey is crap.

End of the story

K.

Like @Mirkraag said, when he stated Rey was trash, he meant compared to SLKR.

Personally, I have never said Rey was trash even though I have vehemently argued she is woefully underpowered compared to her GL counterpart, SLKR.

I think all of the people on this thread like Mirkraag who have called Rey “trash” or “garbage,” obviously meant that in the context of being a Galactic Legend and for the cost of investment in her.

Do you or @TVF honestly think that when people have called her “trash” or “garbage,” they think of Rey as being on the same level of utility as a Rose Tico, ROLO, or Lando? Honestly!? Of course they were calling her that in the context of her being a Galactic Legend and end-game content. Sure, even then it may be exaggerated, but the point is that for the cost of investment, she is not worth it compared to SLKR or JKLS. And it’s not even debatable from a cost of investment standpoint.

If you are starting your farms for SLKR, Rey, and JKLS from scratch today, it’s an absolute no brainer to go for SLKR first, then JKLS, then Rey. Anyone who does otherwise is a fool.

It’s like calling an NFL quarterback trash. Compared to Tom Brady? Yes, he’s trash. But he’s still an NFL quarterback who is far superior to all the lower league and collegiate quarterbacks you compare him to.

Quit taking things out of context to support what is obviously a failing argument. You both know that compared to SLKR and JKLS, Rey is not worth the investment. That’s the point.
  • str2019
    64 posts Member
    Options
    JKLS will be needed for a future GL so you cannot go wrong with him.
  • AlexanderG
    1928 posts Member
    Options
    "59 banners"

yes
    Umm... no.

disagree
    Rey is crap.

End of the story

K.

Personally, I have never said Rey was trash even though I have vehemently argued she is woefully underpowered compared to her GL counterpart, SLKR.

I think all of the people on this thread like Mirkraag who have called Rey “trash” or “garbage,” obviously meant that in the context of being a Galactic Legend and for the cost of investment in her.

Do you or @TVF honestly think that when people have called her “trash” or “garbage,” they think of Rey as being on the same level of utility as a Rose Tico, ROLO, or Lando? Honestly!? Of course they were calling her that in the context of her being a Galactic Legend and end-game content. Sure, even then it may be exaggerated, but the point is that for the cost of investment, she is not worth it compared to SLKR or JKLS. And it’s not even debatable from a cost of investment standpoint.

If you are starting your farms for SLKR, Rey, and JKLS from scratch today, it’s an absolute no brainer to go for SLKR first, then JKLS, then Rey. Anyone who does otherwise is a fool.

It’s like calling an NFL quarterback trash. Compared to Tom Brady? Yes, he’s trash. But he’s still an NFL quarterback who is far superior to all the lower league and collegiate quarterbacks you compare him to.

Quit taking things out of context to support what is obviously a failing argument. You both know that compared to SLKR and JKLS, Rey is not worth the investment. That’s the point.

Well maybe people should say what they mean then. Comments about the second best character in the game being rubbish are daft. Like I said, write what you mean. And when I see Rey occupying half of the top 10 in my arena shard I'll be sure to roll my eyes when i think of the she's crap comments.
  • Slaveen
    481 posts Member
    Options
    "59 banners"

yes
    Umm... no.

disagree
    Rey is crap.

End of the story

K.

Well maybe people should say what they mean then. Comments about the second best character in the game being rubbish are daft. Like I said, write what you mean. And when I see Rey occupying half of the top 10 in my arena shard I'll be sure to roll my eyes when i think of the she's crap comments.

2 things:

1) For a same-release GL with mirroring requirements as SLKR, she is woefully underpowered compared to him in both PvP and PvE and your know it despite half of your arena top 10 being Rey.

It’s been mentioned 1000 times there are way more Rey’s in the game currently because of the initial kit reveals that led everyone to believe she would be the better PvP GL... not to mention the 5s cheese that is the result of admittedly broken AI, not WAI.

2) You should account for the figurative nature of posts instead of taking every word as literal. When I say, “Rose Tico is trash,” I don’t mean she is literally a piece of trash that you would throw into a garbage bin. If I say, “Rey is trash,” (which I’ve never said btw), I don’t literally mean she is on the same level of utility as Rose Tico. Or perhaps you need every spelled out for you?
  • AlexanderG
    1928 posts Member
    Options
    "59 banners"

yes
    Umm... no.

disagree
    Rey is crap.

End of the story

K.

2 things:

1) For a same-release GL with mirroring requirements as SLKR, she is woefully underpowered compared to him in both PvP and PvE and your know it despite half of your arena top 10 being Rey.

It’s been mentioned 1000 times there are way more Rey’s in the game currently because of the initial kit reveals that led everyone to believe she would be the better PvP GL... not to mention the 5s cheese that is the result of admittedly broken AI, not WAI.

2) You should account for the figurative nature of posts instead of taking every word as literal. When I say, “Rose Tico is trash,” I don’t mean she is literally a piece of trash that you would throw into a garbage bin. If I say, “Rey is trash,” (which I’ve never said btw), I don’t literally mean she is on the same level of utility as Rose Tico. Or perhaps you need every spelled out for

Or perhaps people could just write what they mean. Rather than what they don't. Rey is doomed to crapness". Yeah those 500 crystals a day from squad arena must represent a terrible investment.

8 / 10 of my top ten are Rey teams.

SMH. 🤦‍♂️
  • Slaveen
    481 posts Member
    Options
    @AlexanderG: It’s been mentioned 1001 times there are way more Rey’s in the game currently because of the initial kit reveals that led everyone to believe she would be the better PvP GL... not to mention the 5s cheese that is the result of admittedly broken AI, not WAI.
  • Options
    I agree that Rey is inferior to Kylo. However for those who are struggling to beat Kylo with Rey, I suggest this strategy so that at least we can work our way to the top of the arena with no losses. This tactic works 100% efficiently

https://youtu.be/4qRkNmux7wk
  • AlexanderG
    1928 posts Member
    Options
    Illanous wrote: »
    I agree that Rey is inferior to Kylo. However for those who are struggling to beat Kylo with Rey, I suggest this strategy so that at least we can work our way to the top of the arena with no losses. This tactic works 100% efficiently

Careful. We may now get a "Kylo is crap" thread.
  • AlexanderG
    1928 posts Member
    Options
    @AlexanderG: It’s been mentioned 1001 times there are way more Rey’s in the game currently because of the initial kit reveals that led everyone to believe she would be the better PvP GL... not to mention the 5s cheese that is the result of admittedly broken AI, not WAI.

None of which invalidates anything I said. I see the results of having Rey in my arena shard. She dominates it.

Do I think it's unfair on Rey owners that Kylo can solo the Sith raid? Absolutely. Should CG do something about it? Probably.
    Is Rey crap though? No, not at all.
  • Options
    Illanous wrote: »

Careful. We may now get a "Kylo is crap" thread.

lol
  • TheMaster12345
    607 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    CosmicJ wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/Hip048564OI

Just gonna leave this here.

So according to this, Rey is able to beat SLKR with just Wat. Interesting. So then why are people angry about Rey being crap compared to SLKR if Rey can 2v5 a SLKR team.
  • Options
    I don't understand this whole thread. One GL is going to be better than the other, else they would be the same toon.

If Rey was better than Kylo then the thread would be the opposite.

It's just people guessing about who to get in the first place and then complaining that they went after the wrong toon.

They are both awesome, and having either one is a game changer. Stop complaining.
  • Options
    And to answer the op's question, why go for Rey? Um, because she is freaking awesome, that's why.

If you will never go for any toon that is theoretically worse than another, you will never get any toons. Lol.
  • Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    Options
    I don't understand this whole thread. One GL is going to be better than the other, else they would be the same toon.

It's just people guessing about who to get in the first place and then complaining that they went after the wrong toon.

They are both awesome, and having either one is a game changer. Stop complaining.

They buffed Kylo after release! That’s why people are mad
  • Slaveen
    481 posts Member
    Options
    Gamorrean wrote: »

They buffed Kylo after release! That’s why people are mad

Multiple times...
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    Not bothering to read pages of toxic arguments, but in case it helps anyone trying to decide who to pursue I thought I would add this.

I have Rey. I also have some of the best mods on my 4 1/2 year old shard. I lose more often than I win against stock SLKR teams with mediocre FO characters. My team has R7 Kenobi, R7 JKL, and R7 G$ with a R3 Wat. I literally just lost 3 times in a row vs a team with FOO while I’m rocking Hero’s Journey Luke, an Epic Confrontation Anakin, a raid reward Kenobi, and GTB reward Wat. It requires a titans team to suck slightly less against FO junk. And I still time out quite often vs other Rey teams, although that has happened less now that I have Luke at R7.

Trying the same thing with Rey (putting in Rose, Holdo, etc) would be disastrous. Having the hot garbage that is 1/3-1/2 of the Resistance faction has completely ruined GAC for me. I used to get Kyber every time. Now I have so much dead weight that it’s a struggle to win half the time. I have better results using other poorly modded g12 teams than I do using my Relic Resistance characters.

If you have the choice go for SLKR first, and Rey as an absolute last resort if you have everything else you want in the game done. She is decent, but she is not worth the effort or expense by comparison.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Not bothering to read pages of toxic arguments, but in case it helps anyone trying to decide who to pursue I thought I would add this.

I have Rey. I also have some of the best mods on my 4 1/2 year old shard. I lose more often than I win against stock SLKR teams with mediocre FO characters. My team has R7 Kenobi, R7 JKL, and R7 G$ with a R3 Wat. I literally just lost 3 times in a row vs a team with FOO while I’m rocking Hero’s Journey Luke, an Epic Confrontation Anakin, a raid reward Kenobi, and GTB reward Wat. It requires a titans team to suck slightly less against FO junk. And I still time out quite often vs other Rey teams, although that has happened less now that I have Luke at R7.

Trying the same thing with Rey (putting in Rose, Holdo, etc) would be disastrous. Having the hot garbage that is 1/3-1/2 of the Resistance faction has completely ruined GAC for me. I used to get Kyber every time. Now I have so much dead weight that it’s a struggle to win half the time. I have better results using other poorly modded g12 teams than I do using my Relic Resistance characters.

If you have the choice go for SLKR first, and Rey as an absolute last resort if you have everything else you want in the game done. She is decent, but she is not worth the effort or expense by comparison.

There's videos showing you how to win in this very thread, toxic arguments aside.

Also I have an R3 JKL and Rey mirrors are crazy easy now.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Slaveen
    481 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    JacenRoe wrote: »

There's videos showing you how to win in this very thread, toxic arguments aside.

Also I have an R3 JKL and Rey mirrors are crazy easy now.

Yeah, the videos you reference always have a qualifier... multiple qualifiers...

Rey can win 100% of matches against SLKR, IF...

1) She is faster than SLKR who has a higher base speed btw.
    2) you have relice’ed Wat, a GTB reward toon... dark side no less
    3) you have Hoda
    4) GK... a raid reward toon and key component to a Padme team
    5) GAS, an Epic Confrontation toon and main component of a 501at team

What if you can’t out-speed SLKR who has 28 higher base speed? Most serious players who have been playing for a couple years that you face with SLKR will out-speed you with 28 more base speed.

What if your Wat isn’t 7 stars yet like mine?

What if you’re relatively new to the game and haven’t spent a bunch of GET1 on Hoda?

Well, if any one of those is the case, CG just said F your investment because SLKR owners are still going to beat your Rey 100% of the time with full-FO B-tier toons.

SLKR owners = protected
    Rey owners = being laugh at by CG and the community because they went for the GL that most people went for initially
  • Slaveen
    481 posts Member
    Options
    Also, I love how if an argument doesn’t fit your narrative and makes valid points against yours, that makes it “toxic.”