Galactic challenges event [MERGE]

Replies

• Options
    Definitely seems like there should be alot more content needed for gc
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I think CG's "recommended" algorithm is based on their TW matchmaking algorithm. Just a guess.
    Nah, it's likely just a function of your GP. If you're above X GP, but below Y, you're recommended for Tier Z.

If they're going to do that, then they ought to set a conditional that only calculates the GP of your faction-based characters. I've got strong Resistance and Galactic Republic teams, and my GP is high, so it says I should be at T7. But if it was lookong only at my relevant characters, Sith in this case, it'd be lower.
    Vi1teran_ wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »
    Well, if the result of those new tools and background stuff is this, they shouldn't have bothered with them either. To think that we could have got a new raid instead...

This is the thing, it's not one or the other. Overall this is just the start the first glimpse of what we will see.

I would much rather have them be able to put out more stuff than a raid that will be on farm shortly then back to the old waiting game. In the end this is the better long term thing for the game.

But kyno what did their tools really add? No new locations, or enemies. I don't see how this improved the player experience. Even beyond the issues with the rewards, feats, etc, the new "tools" don't appear to have actually improved anything. Do they really need this simply to throw together an event once every week or few days? Remembering we're talking about an event with nothing new.

As they said it will allow them to make content more rapidly. And from what I understand this is for "all content", so saying I would have miked a raid mote than this or these tools is a misunderstanding (as an example) because as this moves on this should help them also design raids and other content faster.

So if you dont think that being able to get more content faster, or maybe more flexibility in the content we see is not better for the player experience, then I dont know what to say.

I feel like judging the work they put into the background (which most people never understand when it comes to programming) just by their single exhibition GC, is judging a book by its cover. But that has never stopped people before.
    An example, from my understanding, look at something like assault battles.

You would think that it was code one, then pull out characters replace with another set, pick from different backgrounds, hit play. It wasn't, from my understanding it was more like making each event from essentially the ground up each time.

With the new way things are built it should be easier for them to do "what we think it should be like ", and change things without having to rebuild an event, or possibly change a stage or make adjustments to an event.

So what your saying is people shouldn't judge this event because it's the work in the background that is valuable, not the event itself.
    No, what reasonable people are saying is don't judge this like you're friggin Paul Hollywood trying to get some cheap heat before a commercial break. This isn't the final cake you're going to eat. This is the stage where the judges are going from table to table asking the contestents what they're doing. You're eating batter and telling them their cake sucks--no duh, it's batter, man.

The purpose of this is to get feedback. What you like, what you don't like, what systems can be improved, what's just an inherent vice that can't be avoided, how long it should take per day, how many days it should take, etc. They don't specifically ask these questions because anyone who has been in a focus group knows about how leading questions can spoil the responses.
    personally but that's my opinion apparently others agree since this threat is 94.6% negative.
    No duh it's so negative, you guys try to outdo one another with your negativity. You have more meaningless fights than a YouTube comments section. Your feedback is constructed more to show off your poison pen than it is to actually improve anything. It's the forum equivalent of peacocking. Star Wars has one of the worst fan bases, probably second only to Fallout, and this particular board is a notable hive of scum and villainy even within that fan base....

So you think it's helpful to critique others opinions as opposed to just giving your own. That helps stop the toxic environment.
    Yes, it's helpful. It's helpful because I also gave my own feedback. And because people who are reading these threads but tired of the endless Lucky Pierre daisy chain going on of complaining about everything like seeing people tell you all to stick it.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    I haven't seen many comments, if any, from newer f2p players about Galactic Challenges, so here are is my feedback and some changes I would like to see made to Galactic Challenges as a level 74 f2p player with a relatively new account (restarted the game with a new account earlier this year to get a better early game start):

Issues:
    1. Most new F2P players will most likely be following a farming guide of some sort and by the time they hit level 60 (when GC unlocks) and even into the 70's, will likely only have a decent Separatist or Pheonix faction squad (depending on the guide followed), with progress made in the other squad and possibly also in Old Republic.
    2. Most new F2P players will likely not have enough characters of the other factions to form a full squad or have 0 characters from a faction Even if they were lucky enough to get enough characters of a faction to form a full squad, these squads will likely be low gear tier, stars, and level with low ability levels and either no mods (characters not level 50) or bad mods (low tier and dots) as their resources and best mods would have gone to their main squads (Separatist or Pheonix).
    3. Based on the two points above, the difficulty scaling and the overall difficulty of GC is too much for a new F2P player. For me, my best team (gear 8 Separatists since I did not have enough Sith for a full squad and only 1 of the 3 Sith I had was at a decent level and gear tier with decent mods and ability levels) was barely able to survive tier 1 on average. The same team quickly died in tier 2, with only 2-3 characters on average being able to survive more than 3-4 turns. Even without the global modifier, I don't think many new F2P players will get far (not saying the global modifier should be removed).
    4. Even if a new F2P player gets to the higher tiers, it is highly unlikely that they will gear up/relic some of these factions for the gear/relic feat unless they are meta/beginner-friendly or they have some better characters from that faction (it is less likely that a new F2P player would gear up/relic a Rebels or a Galactic Republic team if the majority of characters or all characters in the best squad of that faction they have are not good/garbage/unused and would rather save gear, relic mats, and ability mats for the better character of those factions).
    5. The rewards for each tier and their associated feats are a bit lacking based on the difficulty of each tier. If a player is able to beat a tier and its feats, their characters should be at a high enough gear level to not need the gear rewarded currently. This is mainly an issue for more experienced and veteran players.

Changes:
    1. To make GC easier for new F2P players and challenging for more experienced and veteran players, I would suggest restructuring GC to have two difficulty modes, easy and hard. Hard mode would consist of the current tiers and easy mode would consist of slightly easier tiers (maybe move some of the current low tiers and make them the top tiers of easy). The current rewards would then become the rewards for the easy mode and the hard mode rewards would consist of the current tier 5-7 rewards, higher tier gear than the current tier 7 gear rewards, potentially more relic materials (higher tiers of hard mode), and maybe zeta mats (1-2 at the highest tier, potentially on a feat).

Additionally, I would suggest having the modifiers scale up with the tiers, starting with no modifiers, introducing the modifies one at a time or in batches (adding in player and enemy modifiers first before adding global modifiers or vice versa), and increasing the strength of the modifiers with each tier (modifiers give small buffs/debuffs initially and then increase each tier).
    2. To make it worthwhile for players to replay each tier more than once, I would suggest making the lesser rewards for each tier reobtainable a set amount of times (like challenges) after a certain time period (i.e. once every day for long events or 2-3 times a day with a cooldown between rewards for shorter events (tier is still repeatable while on reward cooldown, just without the reobtainable rewards)) and the higher rewards for the tier only obtainable through the feats, which can only be completed once during the GC.
    3. Since I've seen/read than many players are able to complete the higher tiers of GC without needing a full team with relics, I would suggest removing the gear tier/relic requirement feats and add some unique feats based on the tier such as the following:
      • Completing the tier with a full squad of the featured faction (for low tiers)
      • Completing the tier with a specific of character or characters (like the GAC feats)
      • Surviving with full protection (for higher tiers)
      • Deal x damage in a single attack
      • Heal x health in a single battle
      • Special feats relating to the faction (if possible), such as winning after competing for a contract for Bounty Hunters and winning with a summoned ally surviving for Geonosians and Rebel Fighters
  • Options
    I think CG's "recommended" algorithm is based on their TW matchmaking algorithm. Just a guess.
    Nah, it's likely just a function of your GP. If you're above X GP, but below Y, you're recommended for Tier Z.

If they're going to do that, then they ought to set a conditional that only calculates the GP of your faction-based characters. I've got strong Resistance and Galactic Republic teams, and my GP is high, so it says I should be at T7. But if it was lookong only at my relevant characters, Sith in this case, it'd be lower.
    Well, if the result of those new tools and background stuff is this, they shouldn't have bothered with them either. To think that we could have got a new raid instead...

This is the thing, it's not one or the other. Overall this is just the start the first glimpse of what we will see.

I would much rather have them be able to put out more stuff than a raid that will be on farm shortly then back to the old waiting game. In the end this is the better long term thing for the game.

But kyno what did their tools really add? No new locations, or enemies. I don't see how this improved the player experience. Even beyond the issues with the rewards, feats, etc, the new "tools" don't appear to have actually improved anything. Do they really need this simply to throw together an event once every week or few days? Remembering we're talking about an event with nothing new.

As they said it will allow them to make content more rapidly. And from what I understand this is for "all content", so saying I would have miked a raid mote than this or these tools is a misunderstanding (as an example) because as this moves on this should help them also design raids and other content faster.

So if you dont think that being able to get more content faster, or maybe more flexibility in the content we see is not better for the player experience, then I dont know what to say.

I feel like judging the work they put into the background (which most people never understand when it comes to programming) just by their single exhibition GC, is judging a book by its cover. But that has never stopped people before.

You would think that it was code one, then pull out characters replace with another set, pick from different backgrounds, hit play. It wasn't, from my understanding it was more like making each event from essentially the ground up each time.

With the new way things are built it should be easier for them to do "what we think it should be like ", and change things without having to rebuild an event, or possibly change a stage or make adjustments to an event.

So what your saying is people shouldn't judge this event because it's the work in the background that is valuable, not the event itself.
    No, what reasonable people are saying is don't judge this like you're friggin Paul Hollywood trying to get some cheap heat before a commercial break. This isn't the final cake you're going to eat. This is the stage where the judges are going from table to table asking the contestents what they're doing. You're eating batter and telling them their cake sucks--no duh, it's batter, man.

The purpose of this is to get feedback. What you like, what you don't like, what systems can be improved, what's just an inherent vice that can't be avoided, how long it should take per day, how many days it should take, etc. They don't specifically ask these questions because anyone who has been in a focus group knows about how leading questions can spoil the responses.
    personally but that's my opinion apparently others agree since this threat is 94.6% negative.
    No duh it's so negative, you guys try to outdo one another with your negativity. You have more meaningless fights than a YouTube comments section. Your feedback is constructed more to show off your poison pen than it is to actually improve anything. It's the forum equivalent of peacocking. Star Wars has one of the worst fan bases, probably second only to Fallout, and this particular board is a notable hive of scum and villainy even within that fan base....

So you think it's helpful to critique others opinions as opposed to just giving your own. That helps stop the toxic environment.
    Yes, it's helpful. It's helpful because I also gave my own feedback. And because people who are reading these threads but tired of the endless Lucky Pierre daisy chain going on of complaining about everything like seeing people tell you all to stick it.

So if I don't like parts of the event and give that feedback I'm just complaining and should stick it?
  • Options

So if I don't like parts of the event and give that feedback I'm just complaining and should stick it?

Look at the person who posted above you. Do that. That's feedback.

"Thanks, I hate it" isn't feedback. That's showboating for cheap heat.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Options

Pointing out its an exhibition also doesnt help fix it either.

Its not unreasonable ti expect the first new content since gl to be solid and ready for release. This clearly is not.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    ShaggyB wrote: »

Its not unreasonable ti expect the first new content since gl to be solid and ready for release. This clearly is not.

It may be seen as unreasonable to expect, the opposite of what they are saying it would be.....just sayin.
  • Options
    PhatPat84 wrote: »
    This is all galactic challenges are about. Nothing else
    zai4uc9wm7lz.jpg
    Pretty much.

Then later they will add 2-3 stun guns/cuffs to the rewards and say everything is fine. :D
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Options

It may be seen as unreasonable to expect, the opposite of what they are saying it would be.....just sayin.

No it wouldnt be when they put the words "meaningful rewards to help grow you characters" in the promotional video, i expect just that.

This is a failure to deliver. Labeling exhibition doesnt give CG the ability to fail this bad and say nothing about it.

I get you are here trying your best, but to be frank... you arent crumb and he should be here fielding this mess.

This was a bad release and hiding behind its just an exhibition is unprofessional for a company making as much as they do on this game.

Customers expect beta to be in better shape than this.... and it should live up to what they said it would be in the road ahead in its beta form.... this is post that and not living up to any of the hype or advertising.

No offense but, how about you let CG speak and stop trying to hide poor game design behind exhibition labeling. That might be a good way to fix this. Shouldnt take 7 days to tweak it.
  • Options
    Personally I love it!! ... What better gameplay than hitting restart 200 times so you finally get an opening where you don’t get one toon or three one-shotted in the opening enemy move... Genius!! ... I could literally play this all day! Keep up the good work guys!
  • LastNeuron
    106 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    ...so I play for 5 minutes and than I have to wait 8 days, so booooring. And, sorry I'm strange I know, I don't spend money for boring game. Regards
  • Options

No it wouldnt be when they put the words "meaningful rewards to help grow you characters" in the promotional video, i expect just that.

This is a failure to deliver. Labeling exhibition doesnt give CG the ability to fail this bad and say nothing about it.

I get you are here trying your best, but to be frank... you arent crumb and he should be here fielding this mess.

This was a bad release and hiding behind its just an exhibition is unprofessional for a company making as much as they do on this game.

Customers expect beta to be in better shape than this.... and it should live up to what they said it would be in the road ahead in its beta form.... this is post that and not living up to any of the hype or advertising.

No offense but, how about you let CG speak and stop trying to hide poor game design behind exhibition labeling. That might be a good way to fix this. Shouldnt take 7 days to tweak it.

Exactly. I was genuinely surprised to read that there's a community manager. Respect to Kyno, he does a great job at communicating what he can, but how can it be there is a community manager that barely utterers a word?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

The video is the introduction of the game mode and will be there long after the exhibition. Trying to act like the exhibition is not here to gather feedback and is the final thing is a waste of the time where players have a chance to voice concerns and make points that dont just revolve around trying to bash the dev team.

Ignoring the exhibition label doesn't help the player base in any meaningful way.
  • Options

The video is the introduction of the game mode and will be there long after the exhibition. Trying to act like the exhibition is not here to gather feedback and is the final thing is a waste of the time where players have a chance to voice concerns and make points that dont just revolve around trying to bash the dev team.

Ignoring the exhibition label doesn't help the player base in any meaningful way.

Any idea how long the exhibition phase is going to be? Specifically, will the better rewards show up next month?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Jakdnels wrote: »

Any idea how long the exhibition phase is going to be? Specifically, will the better rewards show up next month?

@Jakdnels
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/234286/state-of-the-galaxy-august-08-07-2020#latest
  • Options

@Jakdnels
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/234286/state-of-the-galaxy-august-08-07-2020#latest

Can you please clarify if this means that there will be a second round of exhibitions or not?

"We are initially starting with a limited number of Feats, Modifiers and locations to ensure a clean release of the feature but we are planning to expand these areas in the future.

The first schedule has a few different durations to see what feels the most enjoyable."
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Jakdnels

Can you please clarify if this means that there will be a second round of exhibitions or not?

"We are initially starting with a limited number of Feats, Modifiers and locations to ensure a clean release of the feature but we are planning to expand these areas in the future.

The first schedule has a few different durations to see what feels the most enjoyable."

From our initial conversations about this, which were a but ago and not directly pointed to this exhibition they used the term "iterations".

In that statement they do leave it open to this possibility also, so we could see a few that help them refine this mode. That being said, we dont know and they might not know what exact changes will happen at each stage, as they have said they are looking for feedback.
  • Options

Jakdnels

From our initial conversations about this, which were a but ago and not directly pointed to this exhibition they used the term "iterations".

In that statement they do leave it open to this possibility also, so we could see a few that help them refine this mode. That being said, we dont know and they might not know what exact changes will happen at each stage, as they have said they are looking for feedback.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I was wondering if we might see other factions, etc next month in a similar format before they implement any changes.
  • Options
    I would say that 7 days is too long. Depending of the number of feats i think that changing every 2 days or 3 days should be the best. There is a huge potential. With new things please always give exclusive rewards. It’s cool to have cristal with these but rewards exclusive from galactic challenge should be a way much appealing. I do now understand that including something special in galactic challenge will require a way less coding than before so you may easier focus on creating new toon and new stuffs.
    I’m excited for the next one !
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Jakdnels

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I was wondering if we might see other factions, etc next month in a similar format before they implement any changes.

I would imagine that things like additional factions will be the stuff we see added after they get things more established, but I could be wrong.
  • Options

It does when people are judging this like it's in its final state. Haven't you ever worked on a project before? Never been part of a focus group?
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Options

Delivering substandard experiences and hiding behind the label doesnt either.

If they want feedback so badly... why are tou the only one responding to it
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Delivering substandard experiences and hiding behind the label doesnt either.

If they want feedback so badly... why are tou the only one responding to it

That's great feedback about thier feedback process, but unfortunately this is this is not the current topic of feedback.

Please feel free to message CG_SBCrumb with your feedback about the feedback process.
    As far as I know, other than asking for feedback, there is nothing about gathering it that would require a response.

All most all(if not all) of what I am saying and sharing is information we already had and making sure people that may not have read the post know this is an exhibition and not the full thing, and that this is for the purpose of gathering feedback and data on this game mode. Which is kind of part of "my job".

If you believe they are hiding behind a label, then you may be looking at this from the wrong side and I would suggest trying to change your perspective a little to see if you can figure out some constructive ways to express points of interest that can be considered feedback. It is really the point of this whole exercise.
  • Options
    Kyno it’s called constructive criticism

• Options

It does when people are judging this like it's in its final state. Haven't you ever worked on a project before? Never been part of a focus group?

Might want to do a little research on what a focus group is.

Merriam-Webster : focus group
    : a small group of people whose response to something (such as a new product or a politician's image) is studied to determine the response that can be expected from a larger population.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • Train
    56 posts Member
    Options
    For reference, where I’m at game-wise: 4.3M GP, solid guild, regular Kyber in GA, Sith (R5 Malak; R4 DR; R2 Vader; G12.3 Sion, G12.0 Palp, Traya, Nihilus, DSB), no GLs, good not great mods
    Duration: a week is too long. Every day would be too often particularly on weekdays with Grand Arena and TW attacks on the same day. I think a new one every 2-3 days is ideal (maybe 2-3-2 for a week)
    Gameplay: I went through a full range of emotions from apathy to excitement to disappointment to eventually some engagement. In the end I thought the actual event itself was somewhat enjoyable (apart from rewards structure). It was good having something new to do, even if this wasn’t anything too complex. Figuring out the best group of Sith from my roster provided some enjoyment. I liked that it was only one wave (a couple waves would be okay, but no 4+ waves like assault battles); 5 minute or less battles is a good target. T5-T7 were definitely not-autoable for me and required some strategy.
    Balance: I could definitely see how very end game players would not find this a challenge if you have full R5+ teams with very good mods (or apparently just SLK). I can also see players with not as developed rosters or mediocre to poor mods would find this extremely frustrating and unbeatable at any meaningful level (given the rewards at the lower levels). For where I’m at, I thought it was fairly good from a balance standpoint. Perhaps a few small tweaks. I am skeptical a full G12.0 (non GL) team could beat Tier V (maybe possible with Malak with RNG). T6 seemed about right for R3. T7 might have actually been a little easy (I finished it with only 1 R5). (I realize it doesn’t actually say anywhere what Gear level each tier is targeted for, but when you put it in the feat description, that’s basically what you are communicating to the player.)
    Feats: the concept of feats is good. The feats for this particular iteration were very bland. This may have just been to show us the concept, so I’m not too upset about that. More feats and more interesting feats and I think this part would be good.
    Rewards: and then there is the rewards structure. I’m not even upset about the amount of rewards (it’s just an exhibition), but the structure is…just bad. You really missed the mark on this. I'm sure most of this has probably already been said.
    1. Too imbalanced. I do not like that basically all the rewards are locked behind the progression feat. They should be balanced more across all the feats and for just completing it.
    2. As currently set-up there were almost no rewards or incentive for PLAYING the event. There were rewards for gearing your characters to CG selected levels. Those are not event rewards, those are progression rewards. If you want to give people a reward for gearing 5 Sith to R3 or R5, then make a quest item to do this. It shouldn’t be attached in the event. Events are for playing the game; event rewards should be for playing and beating the content.
    3. The rewards did not make sense for the tier in which you received them. If you need G12 to beat T5, then the rewards should be to progress a G12 character (i.e. the T6 or T7 rewards). Same with every other level except maybe the first couple just seemed random. More like random stuff than rewards.
    Summary: I three starred and completed all feats (except the gearing feat) for Tiers 1-6 and also completed Tier 7 (1 star), but because I don’t have 5 R3 Sith, I get basically nothing. Why? I figured out the “puzzle” and completed the content. Whatever enjoyment, interest, or goodwill I mentioned previously is basically gone with this rewards structure. You have somehow managed to create another progression system rather than a new game mode. We have enough progression systems.
  • Options
    ImaSmakya wrote: »

Might want to do a little research on what a focus group is.

Merriam-Webster : focus group
    : a small group of people whose response to something (such as a new product or a politician's image) is studied to determine the response that can be expected from a larger population.

Focus group and exhibition mean different things to CG. they didnt use the Merriam-Webster version, they used the Skywalker-Palpatine definition. Just pray they don't alter the definition further.
  • Options
    I’m almost 4.5 mil GP

I played this immediately. I used maybe my 8th best team in my roster. Tiers 1-4 I one-shot all enemies at once. Tier 5, they one-shot me all at once. All 5 tiers took less than a minute total. I rolled my eyes after realizing how drastically scaled it was, went to my arena, hit auto on the battle, then grabbed my phone to play Pokémon Go.

I came back a couple days later, couldn’t beat Tier 5 with my arena team. Rearranged and made a new team, got 1 Star.

Tier 6 is suggested for me, and still haven’t beat it, mostly due to the sandstorm damage. Since the good rewards are locked behind relic 5 and one of my sith isn’t that high yet, I don’t see a reason to replay this or bother with trying to win all levels. This is a team I need to practice fighting, but the lower tiers present no challenge to my counters, and the higher tiers beat me too fast for me to learn anything.

If I get really bored tomorrow I might use some of my lower level BH to auto some of the lower tiers So Greedo can get closer to accomplishing a title. It’s not a priority, though.

I like the longer Number of days, since I can get busy and might want to leave things a couple days. I’m sure I’m not alone in that. Life gets pretty busy sometimes.

Rewards: not as good as assault battles, less fun than assault battles.

I’ll probably run through all of them again, just to reassess after first impression. As it is, first impression was this: less engaging than a marquee, less time than a marquee, variation on shorter assault battles with less rewards, I can see where CG was going, and I don’t think it quite hits the mark.
  • Options
    My feedback is this

1. Rewards are bad (however you have addressed at length that this will change)
    2. Event itself is fun and great
    3. The character like sniper droid that you fight should come out so it is a more fair and accurate test.
    4. This event should have repeatable rewards. I think shards For brand new characters would be cool. Example: tier 5= 5 shards for sniper droid every time you beat the tier.