So GL’s can be underdogged now?

Replies

• Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »
    That feeling when even a CG representative uses the flawed argument about people saying that SLKR was weak at the start. I expected better, Doja.

To be fair he said that they’re waiting on more data. Which is basically saying that there’s going to be buffs to the kits in one way or another. There are several ways to bulk up JML to be on par with the other GL’s. They probably need to figure out how to implement those changes without breaking them.
    To be clear, he deliberately bracketed his comments with "MY GUESS" and "all of this is just, like, my opinion" so interpreting his comments as an official position is just plain wrong.

Yes, I’m aware. If I choose to interpret his opinion into my own conclusions then that’s my right to do so. Am I going to hold him to it as an official statement? No. Am I going to interpret it as I’d like based on the past? I will and have every right to. If you don’t like it, then too bad. Stay off my thread and the forums ;)
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    That feeling when even a CG representative uses the flawed argument about people saying that SLKR was weak at the start. I expected better, Doja.

To be fair he said that they’re waiting on more data. Which is basically saying that there’s going to be buffs to the kits in one way or another. There are several ways to bulk up JML to be on par with the other GL’s. They probably need to figure out how to implement those changes without breaking them.
    To be clear, he deliberately bracketed his comments with "MY GUESS" and "all of this is just, like, my opinion" so interpreting his comments as an official position is just plain wrong.

This.

He could not have been more clear.

Not that this will stop him from communicating, but please keep perspective on this. You can not imagine the number of times I have pointed to a topic and basically get told "we can't comment", "we can't promise", "there is no official position yet", and then number of time here where people say, "but they could just say something"..... if every comment is taken that way, it puts them in a spot when the next one comes around, "if they should comment"....

Nobody is talking about him making an official statement. I forgot it was forbidden to interpret someone’s opinion into their own ideas and conclusions. My bad
  • Options
    Adoy_IdeJ wrote: »
    I've reached out. Not sure I'll get the in-depth dev response on this as the Scrybe video per se. JML is still pretty new in the wild and MY GUESS (and let's operate under the umbrella that this is MY two cents, no one else's) is that maybe he needs a little time to marinate and be monitored now that he's in the wild. As others have pointed out, people were clowning on SLKR when he first released and now our lil baby has grown up quite a bit.

There was a fix for JML's AI that went out today. I'm not saying that's gonna be applicable to this scenario, but it's another layer of the onion that adds strength to his character overall.

Based on what I know of this industry - especially live service games - is that it's way easier and less risky to release a unit that is somewhere around the levels you're aiming for (not saying that happened in this instance, just speaking in generalities based on MY experience and opinions) and then slowly increase their power if/when needed, versus releasing a unit that hits exactly where you want, and then having to nerf/decrease power.

This is due in part to the fact that no matter how much balance testing you do as a dev team (and yes balance testing was done. Suggesting otherwise is silliness), once the unit is released it now has hundreds of thousands if not millions of eyes on it. These are eyes are passionate and hungry to figure out ways to use this new unit, and through sheer numbers, they will certainly undo the careful planning of far fewer designers and balance testers.

You, the players, are smart. Some of you are downright experts, and with all the possible unit combos in the game, someone somewhere is going to think of some shenanigans that not only impress, but likely scare the developers. Still, watching gamers figure out the "puzzle" or use a unit in unanticipated ways brings us a lot of joy (and probably in some cases terror).

Point is, even if a dev team is fairly certain where a unit will land in the grand scheme of things, often times the community will figure out a way to make it be about 20-30 percent better than they thought.

Other times, the community simply needs time to figure out how to best utilize a new toy.

I hope this frame of reference helps, and I'm confident JML will continue to be watched as things progress.

Lastly, did I mention all of this is just, like, my opinion, man?

Yes. Yes, I did.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

Thank you for the effort and passionate reply. Thumbs up :)

This is where user beta testing is needed or at least considered. As you say we're the experts (well not, me I'm thick) so it would be good to use our feedback / testing when you have a large test group that can simulate more combinations than one would ordinarily be able to do solely in testing.

If NDAs need to be signed, it's not a big deal - heck some of us work in sectors where we need some high security clearance, so I'm sure a computer game can be treated accordingly.

They do have a beta program, but still a few player, even if they are experts, are never going to compare to masses. Things will always slip through and require at least a cautious eye, and possible tweaks.

Of course things slip. Like everything, even good quality control sometimes lets human behaviours get in the way.

But there should be more caveated releases of big high investment characters - such as dedicated monitoring of interaction and utility and compiled feedback. Which I'm sure you will rebut with, 'they do this already' - fine, but it's not clear, overtly done or emphasised.

When I sell products / services I make it clear during snagging or cool off periods that we can tweak things to suit the customer needs. Because the customers are the ones that keep coming back - even after the cooling off period we have here in European law, we can still contractually allow for changes to be made. Why do we do this? Because we want to retain customers - and this has been ever more important during covid as people are less able to have face to face meetings are really get an understanding of what is and is not on offer.

So great, there's a beta programme, let more of the community know what's going on, what feedback there has been, and be more forthcoming with 'oh bollocks, we got it wrong, we'll make it right'. It's not a big ask.

Still at least @CG_Doja_Fett is giving it a fair go - so good on you mate!
  • StarSon
    7442 posts Member
    Options
    Sewpot wrote: »
    xpdndi6d8p20.jpeg
    Apparently they can be underdogged. Even rey lol

Let’s see the relic and mod comparison.

Let's also see the rest of that screenshot.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Yes, I’m aware. If I choose to interpret his opinion into my own conclusions then that’s my right to do so. Am I going to hold him to it as an official statement? No. Am I going to interpret it as I’d like based on the past? I will and have every right to. If you don’t like it, then too bad. Stay off my thread and the forums ;)

It would be helpful, when you are making those conclusions add a few lines saying that, much like doja did. It will keep everyone on the same page.

We all want to have nice things, and dont want to blame you when they go away....j/k
  • Options

It would be helpful, when you are making those conclusions add a few lines saying that, much like doja did. It will keep everyone on the same page.

We all want to have nice things, and dont want to blame you when they go away....j/k

Trust me if that’s what drives him always then yikes lol. Especially since I’ve been nothing but positive since he’s come on lol and there saying something haha. Those that know me from launch on these forums are aware I’m not the most positive towards devs lol. I think the last one I was this supportive and positive of was Kozi.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Trust me if that’s what drives him always then yikes lol. Especially since I’ve been nothing but positive since he’s come on lol and there saying something haha. Those that know me from launch on these forums are aware I’m not the most positive towards devs lol. I think the last one I was this supportive and positive of was Kozi.

I mean he almost self destructed over the rewards thing..... I feel like hes a very delicate person....haha.

You?!?.....no...

Anyway back on topic. You are correct there is nothing wrong with taking a post like that and shaping an opinion based on what is said, and maybe not directly said, as long as we all know not to hold him/them to anything stated like that.

Then we can all be happy and keep our new toy.....at least until we break him.
  • Options

This.

Not that this will stop him from communicating, but please keep perspective on this. You can not imagine the number of times I have pointed to a topic and basically get told "we can't comment", "we can't promise", "there is no official position yet", and then number of time here where people say, "but they could just say something"..... if every comment is taken that way, it puts them in a spot when the next one comes around, "if they should comment"....

Yes, 100 percent.

When I come right out and state several times throughout the post that I am speaking based on my own opinion or guesswork, there is nothing more to read between the lines. There is no promise, no official studio stance, or definitive action to interpret.

I'd like to be able to have these kinds of discussions without it being thrown back in my face later, especially when I couch it in such plain terms. If I can't, then instead of the comment above, I'd have to trim it down to basically, "we are aware of the issue."

So, we'll see how this goes. Please help me help you.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

This.

Yes, 100 percent.

When I come right out and state several times throughout the post that I am speaking based on my own opinion or guesswork, there is nothing more to read between the lines. There is no promise, no official studio stance, or definitive action to interpret.

I'd like to be able to have these kinds of discussions without it being thrown back in my face later, especially when I couch it in such plain terms. If I can't, then instead of the comment above, I'd have to trim it down to basically, "we are aware of the issue."

I think we are good, I believe all parties involved realize this is a good thing, and we totally promise to not show up at your door step with torches looking for Wampas head, and maybe an arm on a plate.

• Options
    It's pretty sad to see people actually being negative and throwing shade towards the devs responses. This type of communication is amazing to see, and I would hate for a couple of **** to ruin it for the rest of the community. Thank you CG_Doja_Fett for the communication.
  • Options
    Starslayer wrote: »
    You, the players, are smart.

Could you please insert my name in there somewhere ? I need to show my family that someone kinda in charge acknowledged my greatness and that I don't just waste countless hours of my time in a pointless mobile game.

Here ya go:

Oh my gosh! Starslayer? Is that you??

I didn't think you survived after saving the planet a few months ago. I should've known better than to doubt your strength. You always got us through the tough times with intellect and bravery. The people of Earth will forever be in your debt and never even know it.

• dgree
    521 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    This is like how stock traders go nuts every time the chairman of the fed farts just because they think his breeze might influence the official interest rate.

edit: context here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Reserve
  • Options

The one thing I will turn my nose up at is that the balancing going through countless trials. DR lead should’ve alerted them to overpowering JML handily and then you try compositions from there. So definitely not sold on that

He also hinted that we may be missing something (team comp, mods, ect.) that may also solve some of the issues.

They may very well make some changes as well. I think that more can be done to explore that in the mean time.

I've tried to throw out some ideas. Will they all work. Probably not. But maybe one may help. It could be the dev's already know of a team comp that solves some of the issues at least. Doja hinted that the puzzle wasn't solved.

I speculated that there COULD be a puzzle that hasn't been solved. I don't know for sure, which is why I wrote things such as "MY GUESS" and "my opinion."

Just wanted to clear that up.
  • StarSon
    7442 posts Member
    Options

The one thing I will turn my nose up at is that the balancing going through countless trials. DR lead should’ve alerted them to overpowering JML handily and then you try compositions from there. So definitely not sold on that

He also hinted that we may be missing something (team comp, mods, ect.) that may also solve some of the issues.

They may very well make some changes as well. I think that more can be done to explore that in the mean time.

I've tried to throw out some ideas. Will they all work. Probably not. But maybe one may help. It could be the dev's already know of a team comp that solves some of the issues at least. Doja hinted that the puzzle wasn't solved.

I speculated that there COULD be a puzzle that hasn't been solved. I don't know for sure, which is why I wrote things such as "MY GUESS" and "my opinion."

Speaking of things, though still wildly unrelated, think you could find out what the super secret Rey (Jedi Training) team was from a couple years ago? You guys said there was a team we hadn't discovered that was basically unbeatable, and it's been bugging me for 2 years.
  • Options

So even if it's not official, it is worth brainstorming other team comps rather than just calling it broken.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

So even if it's not official, it is worth brainstorming other team comps rather than just calling it broken.

Yes
  • Options

This.

Yes, 100 percent.

You made it very clear Doja lol. Nobody’s holding you to what you said. We are just brainstorming about what could happen later on. We know you reached out for an official response and appreciate and will wait for that. That’s the only thing concrete that we could “throw in your face” and even then it wouldn’t be your fault. You reached out on our behalf. That’s your part and we thank you for it. A response now lays at the feet of devs like TopCash, excuse me Top Hat.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    StarSon wrote: »

Speaking of things, though still wildly unrelated, think you could find out what the super secret Rey (Jedi Training) team was from a couple years ago? You guys said there was a team we hadn't discovered that was basically unbeatable, and it's been bugging me for 2 years.

Jawas
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • StarSon
    7442 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    StarSon wrote: »

Jawas

RJT led Jawas? That doesn't even make any sense.
  • Options
    Or does it?
  • Options
    I've reached out. Not sure I'll get the in-depth dev response on this as the Scrybe video per se. JML is still pretty new in the wild and MY GUESS (and let's operate under the umbrella that this is MY two cents, no one else's) is that maybe he needs a little time to marinate and be monitored now that he's in the wild. As others have pointed out, people were clowning on SLKR when he first released and now our lil baby has grown up quite a bit.

There was a fix for JML's AI that went out today. I'm not saying that's gonna be applicable to this scenario, but it's another layer of the onion that adds strength to his character overall.

Based on what I know of this industry - especially live service games - is that it's way easier and less risky to release a unit that is somewhere around the levels you're aiming for (not saying that happened in this instance, just speaking in generalities based on MY experience and opinions) and then slowly increase their power if/when needed, versus releasing a unit that hits exactly where you want, and then having to nerf/decrease power.

This is due in part to the fact that no matter how much balance testing you do as a dev team (and yes balance testing was done. Suggesting otherwise is silliness), once the unit is released it now has hundreds of thousands if not millions of eyes on it. These are eyes are passionate and hungry to figure out ways to use this new unit, and through sheer numbers, they will certainly undo the careful planning of far fewer designers and balance testers.

You, the players, are smart. Some of you are downright experts, and with all the possible unit combos in the game, someone somewhere is going to think of some shenanigans that not only impress, but likely scare the developers. Still, watching gamers figure out the "puzzle" or use a unit in unanticipated ways brings us a lot of joy (and probably in some cases terror).

Point is, even if a dev team is fairly certain where a unit will land in the grand scheme of things, often times the community will figure out a way to make it be about 20-30 percent better than they thought.

Other times, the community simply needs time to figure out how to best utilize a new toy.

I hope this frame of reference helps, and I'm confident JML will continue to be watched as things progress.

Yes. Yes, I did.

hello CG,while you give JML a buff,can you please explain that why SEE BEING RAVAGED by five EMPIRE TROOPER?When people say DR can defeat JML,you told them it will be a buff,but what about SEE?It's HARDER to get it than REY and SLKR.
  • Options
    VaderJoker wrote: »

Yes. Yes, I did.

hello CG,while you give JML a buff,can you please explain that why SEE BEING RAVAGED by five EMPIRE TROOPER?When people say DR can defeat JML,you told them it will be a buff,but what about SEE?It's HARDER to get it than REY and SLKR.

As far as I know, cg hasn't said anything about buffing jml because Darth revan beat him. They made a minor ai change because Luke wasn't spreading his buffs the way they liked.

I believe that Darth revan can still beat the jedi titans under jml after that.
  • Options

Yes. Yes, I did.

The more time that passes the more I realize that’s See and Jml need a buff they are getting smacked by like everything. Don’t even say that oh they can beat these teams though, they are a galatic legend how many teams beat Kylo not many, how many teams beat Rey not many, how many teams beat Jml and See too many.
  • Options

Yes. Yes, I did.

As far as I know, cg hasn't said anything about buffing jml because Darth revan beat him. They made a minor ai change because Luke wasn't spreading his buffs the way they liked.

I believe that Darth revan can still beat the jedi titans under jml after that.

The issue is more that DR wins with just him, Bastilla, and any level wat so long as he’s zeta’d.
    The fix to that is make his teachings unpreventable or undispellable. Or make some kind of immunity to fear.
    It’s a simple fix honestly so then the ultimate can charge and things can be tested that way.
  • Options
    Can anyone remember how long it was before SLKR got his buff after he came out? Also, they have to balance against three other GLs, not just one this time. It might take a bit of time.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Options
    Then they shouldn’t be rushed. If this is the release cadence then they really need to test test test.
    Definitely not wise making the people investing lots of money,resources,time to then buff or debuff their investments.
    Bit my hand once shame on you, bit my hand twice shame on me.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Then they shouldn’t be rushed. If this is the release cadence then they really need to test test test.
    Definitely not wise making the people investing lots of money,resources,time to then buff or debuff their investments.

They will never be able to do the amount of testing the community can do in as little as 1 week, it's just not possible, from a numbers standard point.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options

They will never be able to do the amount of testing the community can do in as little as 1 week, it's just not possible, from a numbers standard point.

This is not about some obscure team compositions, though. Most of the "surprising" counters are fairly obvious, so it begs the question what are they actually testing. It started with emergency buff to Malak after a team that debuffs itself shockingly got countered by a team that feeds off debuffs and hasn't really improved since.