Gear Crunch

Replies

• Options
    Starslayer wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion: too much gear would be worse than not enough gear, because if everyone is able to max all the good teams, pvp will become boring pretty fast. Mods will become even more important that it is now, and it’s pretty important.
    There is a major difficulty in balancing gear income imo: arena rewards. When some players gain 27000 crystals per month while other gain 3000 at best via both arenas, balancing the gear income is quite a challenge. Good luck CG !

Trivializing getting to G12 will not effect teams at R9. Or, more realistically, bringing the high bottlenecked gear of Mk5 guns, mk3 cuffs and mk8 bio components in line with mk3 carbantis will turn it into a pinch and not a choke.
  • Options
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion: too much gear would be worse than not enough gear, because if everyone is able to max all the good teams, pvp will become boring pretty fast. Mods will become even more important that it is now, and it’s pretty important.
    There is a major difficulty in balancing gear income imo: arena rewards. When some players gain 27000 crystals per month while other gain 3000 at best via both arenas, balancing the gear income is quite a challenge. Good luck CG !

Trivializing getting to G12 will not effect teams at R9. Or, more realistically, bringing the high bottlenecked gear of Mk5 guns, mk3 cuffs and mk8 bio components in line with mk3 carbantis will turn it into a pinch and not a choke.

For some characters that’s true, not for others. A lot of characters, like, about every support character, do not benefit a lot from relics and would function just fine at g13, because relics don’t upgrade speed (well, so far…). Think about all the characters you geared up to r5 because of rancor and not because you needed to, or all the characters that were perfectly fine at g13/r1 and that you geared up because of prerequisites.

Not saying easing the gear wouldn’t be good for the game, I have absolutely no idea. But I reckon it’s pretty hard to balance, for gameplay reasons and for business reasons.
  • Options

For some characters that’s true, not for others. A lot of characters, like, about every support character, do not benefit a lot from relics and would function just fine at g13, because relics don’t upgrade speed (well, so far…). Think about all the characters you geared up to r5 because of rancor and not because you needed to, or all the characters that were perfectly fine at g13/r1 and that you geared up because of prerequisites.

Not saying easing the gear wouldn’t be good for the game, I have absolutely no idea. But I reckon it’s pretty hard to balance, for gameplay reasons and for business reasons.

Which is why needing to take time to assess things is understandable. However taking well over a year, especially the last 9 months but still not changing anything, rather making the crunch worse, is not acceptable.
  • Crayons
    565 posts Member
    Options
    I get it. Make money.

But Raid/challenge/conquest rewards are laughable. Always the stuff no one needs and you have 1000’s of. Always. Good trolling CG, Good trolling.
  • TVF
    36786 posts Member
    Options
    Crayons wrote: »
    I get it. Make money.

But Raid/challenge/conquest rewards are laughable. Always the stuff no one needs and you have 1000’s of. Always. Good trolling CG, Good trolling.

Send me all yours then.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    I get it. Make money.

I’ll take “complete exaggeration” for £100, Alex
  • TVF
    36786 posts Member
    Options
    I get it. Make money.

I’ll take “complete exaggeration” for £100, Alex

The exchange rate is 1:1?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    I am wary of making @Ravens1113 ’s head spin by agreeing with him, but there are elements of the current gear crunch that don’t sit right with me.

When g12 was first introduced, those 3 Left Hand Side pieces were all crafted from brand new gear that we’d never seen before and had - initially anyway - limited sources. But they were unique. So g12 gear salvage had its own identity and was quite separate from the gear needed up to that point.

Then, when g12.5 came along, each and every one of those Right Hand Side pieces was crafted from a mixture of more new gear pieces and some existing gear pieces. And it’s the fact that those existing gear pieces include mk3 carbanti, mk3 cuffs, mk5 stun guns and the gold eyeball pieces that I find unsavoury from CG. Because as soon as they did that, the concept of “g12 gear” was partially lost.

Furthermore, when the scavenger was introduced, it is quite frankly insulting that the devs didn’t include all g12 gear as possible sources of the top end relic materials and then subsequently claimed that this was due to a technical limitation on the way the scavenger was set up. Do they honestly expect us to believe that? Especially seeing as the ones that can’t be used for relic materials are the g12 pieces that are most frequently awarded in HSTR and least needed among the character base.

So, ask yourself, is there any point in asking people who implemented those game developments to ease the gear crunch? It feels like they want it to be like this.

Of course some changes would be better for the player base - but it strikes me as very naive to expect them to take account of that!
  • Options
    I am wary of making @Ravens1113 ’s head spin by agreeing with him, but there are elements of the current gear crunch that don’t sit right with me.

When g12 was first introduced, those 3 Left Hand Side pieces were all crafted from brand new gear that we’d never seen before and had - initially anyway - limited sources. But they were unique. So g12 gear salvage had its own identity and was quite separate from the gear needed up to that point.

Then, when g12.5 came along, each and every one of those Right Hand Side pieces was crafted from a mixture of more new gear pieces and some existing gear pieces. And it’s the fact that those existing gear pieces include mk3 carbanti, mk3 cuffs, mk5 stun guns and the gold eyeball pieces that I find unsavoury from CG. Because as soon as they did that, the concept of “g12 gear” was partially lost.

Furthermore, when the scavenger was introduced, it is quite frankly insulting that the devs didn’t include all g12 gear as possible sources of the top end relic materials and then subsequently claimed that this was due to a technical limitation on the way the scavenger was set up. Do they honestly expect us to believe that? Especially seeing as the ones that can’t be used for relic materials are the g12 pieces that are most frequently awarded in HSTR and least needed among the character base.

So, ask yourself, is there any point in asking people who implemented those game developments to ease the gear crunch? It feels like they want it to be like this.

Of course some changes would be better for the player base - but it strikes me as very naive to expect them to take account of that!

2jlc5fog6xqr.jpeg
  • Options
    All jokes aside though, it’s no secret that there’s plenty they could do right now, today, that wouldn’t effect the end game meta. Changes that wouldn’t break the game economy. It’s because of that I’m so adamant and vocal about this gear economy. I’m not sitting here saying “give me R9 new toon first day”. I, and many many others are simply saying “Hey, can we have gear economy changes that make gear one crunches much less burdensome?”
  • Options
    All jokes aside though, it’s no secret that there’s plenty they could do right now, today, that wouldn’t effect the end game meta. Changes that wouldn’t break the game economy. It’s because of that I’m so adamant and vocal about this gear economy. I’m not sitting here saying “give me R9 new toon first day”. I, and many many others are simply saying “Hey, can we have gear economy changes that make gear one crunches much less burdensome?”

add my voice to yours, wholeheartedly agree..
  • Options

Well said.
  • Crayons
    565 posts Member
    Options
    The CG Keyboard Defenders do not intimidate me, or invalidate my opinions. No matter how witty they each think each other’s post were.

Unfortunately you guys lack the most important thing, way more important than self-perceived wit. What you often lack is third party perspective, other people’s agreement, or a collective shared experience.
  • Options
    The CG Keyboard Defenders do not intimidate me, or invalidate my opinions. No matter how witty they each think each other’s post were.

Unfortunately you guys lack the most important thing, way more important than self-perceived wit. What you often lack is third party perspective, other people’s agreement, or a collective shared experience.
    You claimed raid / conquest / challenge rewards are always the stuff no one needs and we have 1000s of.

Nobody - not even you - is sharing that experience.
  • Options
    If people give CG money because they are frustrated I’m sure CG will keep players frustrated

Bottleneck set at Max - 2 or 3 level is reasonable but bottleneck at G7 to 9 when there is now G13 and 8 relic levels is crazy.

If gears can be removed and fit to newer toons I might be more willing to spend on them
  • Jarvind
    3932 posts Member
    Options

I remember being 14 and thinking I was real smart because I scolded someone on the internet.
  • Options
    They have no plans to touch this, ever. The gear crunch has been accelerated at every opportunity. We are at 700 kyros, 300 guns, 250 cuffs and carbantis per GL and about half that for everything else. Throw in r9 very soon and it shouldn't even be a question. The crunch will continue to get worse not better, and that is exactly what the developers intend.
  • Options

I can't do anything but AGREE with this entire statement.

And I'll add one more.

One of the things that many people have said is "fix the stores" by giving Stun Guns their own dedicated node or at least stop having totally useless junk in them & only do a rotation of good choke point items.

Now I'm sure CG feels that would actually take time to "fix" and they can't afford that no sir.

So here is what doesn't sit right with me.

A BRAND NEW store, only a few months old, that they had to create from scratch.

So no extra effort to at least give us GOOD items in it.

And yet, THIS is what I have available today.

pexe5ay1yemt.png

SERIOUSLY?

And that is after I just converted a ton of those 2 items the other day with the scavenger.

Its mind boggling to me that with all the other nodes/slots that give us junk gear that no one is their right mind will pay for that they couldn't have set up this store to rotate the choke point items.

I won't give them my $$ when they keep putting out low quality, bad design set ups like this.

Everyone knows the top 5-10 most in demand items in the game.
    They could have just had those key items on rotation in a BRAND NEW Store, but chose not to.

Incompetence? Ignorance? Malicious Intent? Take your pick.
  • Options
    I have seen mk5 stun guns multiple times in that store, to be fair.
  • Options
    They won't address gear crunch for one simple reason. There would be less incentive to buy those gear bundles in the store. When you look at how much they charge for them, its clear to see that the cost of most gear in the shard shop is overinflated. Call me cynical, but CG would rather have your $ than anything else.
  • Options
    Any chance we can get impulse detectors added to the relic material on the assault battles challenge tiers?
  • Options
    I have seen mk5 stun guns multiple times in that store, to be fair.

Oh me too, my point however was one of the things we ask for is "remove the crud options" from the rotation & give us just "good" options to save time.

Fixing an old store would take "time" & cost them (/gasp)

My point was here was a brand new store they created from scratch recently & they STILL couldn't be bothered to have it be a rotation of choke point gears.

THAT to me feels very unsavory.
  • Options
    Im also blown away with how late the next conquest is getting. I know they addressed it somewhere on the forums, but honestly, I feel like this game is managed poorly sometimes. Timelines are not very clear or adhered to and now it will be 5+ days later than usual on getting our conquest pay outs, which at this point for me, is a good source of gear. Just not sure how they expect people to continue paying and or playing in some instances. Anyways, I appreciate everyone pitching in on this thread and giving their 2c. Its nice to know I'm not the only one. I also appreciate the mods chiming in here and there, although you are in a hard spot, you are fair with your assessments and replies to the community. Now if we could just get a few of these solutions implemented that would be amazing. See you all in 5 months when I finally have enough gear for SLKR.
  • Options
    Can't help but feel they are trying to take everything they can before the competition gets rolling. CG no longer has exclusive rights to Start Wars mobile games, correct? The stealth nerf to the Google Play packs says a lot about this evil empire, and that empire will soon be challenged.

I don't expect a mass exodus, but our guild lost two long-playing members already this week because of this issue. I'm on the fence as well. A fresh start in a new Star Wars universe may be very attractive to lot of folks feeling this way.
  • Options
    Kabbage wrote: »
    Can't help but feel they are trying to take everything they can before the competition gets rolling. CG no longer has exclusive rights to Start Wars mobile games, correct? The stealth nerf to the Google Play packs says a lot about this evil empire, and that empire will soon be challenged.

I don't expect a mass exodus, but our guild lost two long-playing members already this week because of this issue. I'm on the fence as well. A fresh start in a new Star Wars universe may be very attractive to lot of folks feeling this way.

Kind of in the same boat. I’m gonna wait this nerf out and see what happens. Not gonna make some rash rage quit decison, but got to admit, I’m quite skeptical where they are going with these GL’s. If these nerfs on these characters effect my ability to clear tier 2 and 3 for relic mats? than yeah, I’m probably leaving the game. I’m not a whale but certainly not ftp.
    Not happy when toons I’ve spent money on, weeks, months of time farming, neutered to make it easier for them to program a game.

Not a fan of the whole GL requirements that seem to target specific toons that many haven’t maxed because they don’t really help that much in any phase of the game. Yes contrarians, sometimes they throw us a bone like EP or Jango Fett in the reauirements.

Haven’t missed a farming day in 5 years so I pretty much had thousands of excess gear for relics. But unfortunately that is coming to an end. Carbonite cirquit boards and chromium transisters are getting to a point where they are almost gone. It was a good run for scavenger but soon it wont be helping much. Especially with relic 8 and 9 right around the corner. (Way too soon) Not sure why they could never add mk5 stun guns or mk3 carbantis to challenges? Also love the whole kyros will aleviate the gear crunch speech. Bad Batch was pretty much all Kyros so I don’t know where that came from?

Copy and paste raids and territory battles. Let’s just add more hit points and massive damage. Very uncreative. Does the new devs even know how to implement new material into the game or was it just the old programmers? That a big no ghostrider. Community has been begging for a ship raid for years but we can’t get that. I’m sure we’ll get ship gear and relics before that happens.

• SerylT2
    146 posts Member
    Options

Definitely is going to happen. The biggest backlash I've gotten against this stance is that Galaxy of Heroes is so "Deep and complex" that it would take games forever to compete. Excepts its not really deep and complex? This game literally mirrors Marvel Strike Force and other games of its ilk in almost every manner. The blueprint for these types of games are very well defined and easy to replicate at this point. Don't even get me started on the vast graphical upgrades a new Star Wars gacha mobile game will bring too compared to this one.

• Options
    I would love to see a Galaxy of Heroes: Legends. A Star Wars game without any canon characters (or with both, canon and legends toons).... That'd be awesome :#
    "You could warn me when I do something bad. Blink once for dark side, twice for light"
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    SerylT2 wrote: »

Definitely is going to happen. The biggest backlash I've gotten against this stance is that Galaxy of Heroes is so "Deep and complex" that it would take games forever to compete. Excepts its not really deep and complex? This game literally mirrors Marvel Strike Force and other games of its ilk in almost every manner. The blueprint for these types of games are very well defined and easy to replicate at this point. Don't even get me started on the vast graphical upgrades a new Star Wars gacha mobile game will bring too compared to this one.

Just to be clear, it's the other way around. MSF and the others mirror SWGOH.
  • WookieWookie
    1460 posts Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Y'all remember the last time CG "eased the gear crunch" by adding kyrotech? Have you recently taken any legacy/launch characters through all the gear levels alongside newer releases?

With CG, any additional 'easing' of the gear crunch will just be the next tier of awful to farm gear with even worse drop rates (what an insult that kyros are purple despite their drop rate and monetization) and required even more frequently on future characters.

I can see it now:

"Hiya holotable heroes! We've seen that the community has been struggling with the farming of items such as stun guns, carbantis, and stun cuffs, so with all future character releases we'll be removing those gear requirements to ease the gear grind. We are also excited to roll out the new CryoTack gear, which be required from G5-G11 on all new characters, and can be farmed on hard node battles only, with a drop rate of 5% per 20 energy attempt. We hope you enjoy this new system that will lower the number of required stun guns, cuffs, and carbantis! See you on the holotables!"

h50aosdsfdtp.jpg
  • Options
    O
    Y'all remember the last time CG "eased the gear crunch" by adding kyrotech? Have you recently taken any legacy/launch characters through all the gear levels alongside newer releases?

With CG, any additional 'easing' of the gear crunch will just be the next tier of awful to farm gear with even worse drop rates (what an insult that kyros are purple despite their drop rate and monetization) and required even more frequently on future characters.

I can see it now:

"Hiya holotable heroes! We've seen that the community has been struggling with the farming of items such as stun guns, carbantis, and stun cuffs, so with all future character releases we'll be removing those gear requirements to ease the gear grind. We are also excited to roll out the new CryoTack gear, which be required from G5-G11 on all new characters, and can be farmed on hard node battles only, with a drop rate of 5% per 20 energy attempt. We hope you enjoy this new system that will lower the number of required stun guns, cuffs, and carbantis! See you on the holotables!"

h50aosdsfdtp.jpg

You get 210 kyrotech per month for free doing your dailies and challenge tier 1 of assault battles. Not too shabby.