Proving Grounds

Replies

• crzydroid
    7358 posts Moderator
    Options
    crzydroid wrote: »
    Lumiya wrote: »
    Something I just don't get: Ever since GAC has been changed, we were told over and over again that GP is not the right way to measure the value of a roster. That your skill, your mods etc are what makes you better or worse.
    We are theoretically getting matched against day 1 accounts for that very reason!

And yet now all of a sudden, CG uses our GP to value our roster again to tell us, if we are good enough.
    These definition swings are giving me whiplash.

If we are being told over and over that we can/should punch up in GAC with the right roster/toons/mods etc., then why are we not able to try the same in PG? Or Conquest for that matter btw. This is a huge contradiction and the lack of consistency makes this just depressing.

There might be some who now would say, well it is 4M GP minimum to be able to play hard Conquest so it is fair to have the same requirements for PG.
    This argument might have been true before the GAC changes, because until that point the measurement by CG for roster strength was GP. But it is not anymore after the change. You can't use different measurements in the same game about the strenght of a roster that contradict each other just because it suits you better and expect everyone to just accept or understand it! It doesn't work that way!

Edit to add:
    Basically we are matched agains players with Conquest characters and we are being told the reason for that is because GP doesn't matter or reflect a roster's strength. Yet we are not allowed to get the Conquest characters so we can have a fair chance against these players and are being told the reason for that is because GP matters.

An interesting interpretation of the GAC changes. I feel like the announcements were fairly clear that their intention was that people grow their roster. Getting rid of GP divisions was to prevent "sandbagging," (their words), by which they meant people who would gear units no higher than necessary and thereby get better matchups. In other words, those people who are now punching up. Their intention with the changes was always to get people to gear more and increase their rosters. You can only punch up so far before you hit a wall, and that's what they want.

Wouldn't acquiring a new character (CAT) be considered roster growth? With GP removed as a deciding factor from matchmaking and division placement in GAC there is no longer any reason for a player to squelch roster growth - in fact, the opposite is true. And if CG wants rosters growing, why put a 1+ year old character behind a GP wall? We all already have plenty of motivation to grow our rosters, new players and veterans both - that IS part of the draw of the game - collecting characters.

Respectfully, crzydroid, I think Lumiya is making a really valid point - in some regards GP is respected (PG, Conquest, TW rewards), and in other regards it's dismissed as meaningless (GAC). So the question is - what is the real motivation for the 4mGP requirement? What is achieved by gating a character (that's a year old now and has already enjoyed a period of exclusivity) behind GP? I know you don't have the answers, but as players many of us are just trying to make sense of what is going on in a game we all enjoy and devote a lot of our time to.

What I'm saying is, by removing GP from matchmaking, CG wanted to encourage higher GPs. So they weren't telling us it was meaningless. With things like TB, CG has constantly been telling us that GP means something it's not. I don't know why they are so set on new players not getting CAT, but I'd say the GP requirement is just in line with them wanting people to inflate GP. If that creates a long timeframe, that could just be them wanting to keep the carrot on the stick far enough out to give people a long term goal. Look how many people are still far away from KAM, for instance.
  • PumaK
    301 posts Member
    Options
    Something I just don't get: Ever since GAC has been changed, we were told over and over again that GP is not the right way to measure the value of a roster. That your skill, your mods etc are what makes you better or worse.
    We are theoretically getting matched against day 1 accounts for that very reason!

And yet now all of a sudden, CG uses our GP to value our roster again to tell us, if we are good enough.

If we are being told over and over that we can/should punch up in GAC with the right roster/toons/mods etc., then why are we not able to try the same in PG? Or Conquest for that matter btw. This is a huge contradiction and the lack of consistency makes this just depressing.

There might be some who now would say, well it is 4M GP minimum to be able to play hard Conquest so it is fair to have the same requirements for PG.
    This argument might have been true before the GAC changes, because until that point the measurement by CG for roster strength was GP. But it is not anymore after the change. You can't use different measurements in the same game about the strenght of a roster that contradict each other just because it suits you better and expect everyone to just accept or understand it! It doesn't work that way!

Edit to add:
    Basically we are matched agains players with Conquest characters and we are being told the reason for that is because GP doesn't matter or reflect a roster's strength. Yet we are not allowed to get the Conquest characters so we can have a fair chance against these players and are being told the reason for that is because GP matters.

An interesting interpretation of the GAC changes. I feel like the announcements were fairly clear that their intention was that people grow their roster. Getting rid of GP divisions was to prevent "sandbagging," (their words), by which they meant people who would gear units no higher than necessary and thereby get better matchups. In other words, those people who are now punching up. Their intention with the changes was always to get people to gear more and increase their rosters. You can only punch up so far before you hit a wall, and that's what they want.

Wouldn't acquiring a new character (CAT) be considered roster growth? With GP removed as a deciding factor from matchmaking and division placement in GAC there is no longer any reason for a player to squelch roster growth - in fact, the opposite is true. And if CG wants rosters growing, why put a 1+ year old character behind a GP wall? We all already have plenty of motivation to grow our rosters, new players and veterans both - that IS part of the draw of the game - collecting characters.

Respectfully, crzydroid, I think Lumiya is making a really valid point - in some regards GP is respected (PG, Conquest, TW rewards), and in other regards it's dismissed as meaningless (GAC). So the question is - what is the real motivation for the 4mGP requirement? What is achieved by gating a character (that's a year old now and has already enjoyed a period of exclusivity) behind GP? I know you don't have the answers, but as players many of us are just trying to make sense of what is going on in a game we all enjoy and devote a lot of our time to.

What I'm saying is, by removing GP from matchmaking, CG wanted to encourage higher GPs. So they weren't telling us it was meaningless. With things like TB, CG has constantly been telling us that GP means something it's not. I don't know why they are so set on new players not getting CAT, but I'd say the GP requirement is just in line with them wanting people to inflate GP. If that creates a long timeframe, that could just be them wanting to keep the carrot on the stick far enough out to give people a long term goal. Look how many people are still far away from KAM, for instance.

This studio with that move literally told to each user lower than 4m GP that spended ressources, crystals and money for CAT shards (and the time on normal conquest, refreshes and conquest pass) a simple: We determined that you wasted all these ressources on vain and it's a fair move to exclude you from the possibility to get More CAT shards from now until you reach this gate.

But it's nice to know this, because players with less than 4m GP can right now to stop wasting ressources like crystals on characters that is going to be added to that gate on the future, also stop to spend any crystals on refreshes and Save the money they plan to waste on a conquest pass.
  • Rius
    371 posts Member
    Options

Edit to add:

This still does not seem to explain it appropriately for me if this is what they wanted the delivery was not well thought out. So I appreciate your point of view CAT could have been a very good exclusive character, I am sure we would still be itching and perhaps moaning about not being able to earn shards. But if delivered appropriately it would be fair and I would have been excited about growing my roster towards that goal.

GAC already promotes GP inflation organically where I am always working on new squads and fleets to keep progressing or holding ground.

I can farm KAM shards since about 3M, just need shak clones R5-7 and whilst difficult it has been consistently so. KAM was a well thought out challenge to push progression in TB and give an exclusive character to focused guilds. It promotes some of the best teamwork in the game. I don’t recall a year of being able to purchase shards for KAM then being retrospectively made ‘exclusive’ without warning overnight.

CAT in comparison is a messy saga when people have been able to progress at a slow rate at a much lower GP for a year but the goals have unexpectedly moved. If exclusivity was intended this should have been clear a year ago.

Why are shards in normal event if this is the expectation. 4M seems arbitrary it may be the requirement for hard conquest but why is that important? 4M GP may only be capable of box 1 in hard conquest not much more than max rewards in normal. Why not estimate the roster size for all who participated in the original events including normal, where it seems from many comments to be >3M.

And for anyone under 3M the issue of access since remains, I have purchased shards with money even after proving grounds was announced because they did not communicate this requirement until the event showed up or for me lack of event showing up.

Now we have some players with more success under 4M who have already unlocked CAT (some possibly through more P2P than myself, I did not purchase the packs in store as I had a good steady stream farming in conquest store but if I had I would have CAT now at 3.5M) and many are short changed with massive conquest ticket, crystal and money investment to a character they can no longer farm because they are below 4M GP. This is why it doesn’t seem to make sense, people are genuinely shocked (minus the sarcastic do you expect any better from CG comments).

We are not ‘entitled’ to an exclusive character but rightfully disappointed to have progress stopped mid-way, of course people can continue to grow rosters and it’s clear now for Maul etc but communication needs to improve. If this was intended all along a lot of people have unnecessary been upset when the point of a game is to have fun.

• Options
    This is one of the most discouraging changes I have seen playing this game. The GP requirement absolutely needs to be dropped.
  • wildnz
    258 posts Member
    Options
    The only thing proved in these grounds is fairness is not a design input. The resources required for players who could not enter conquest and then at some point in their future make the 4m grade is not remotely the same as people who happened to be at a higher GP at the time conquest first ran for that unit. Think about people in 2-3 years time making it to 4m gp for the first time.

I have all conquest units , and see no reason to restrict them one year after release.. well apart from stoping cheating, which is why other events moved to a hard GP limit after people posted shots of legendary units unlocked with level one prerequisite characters.
    5 posts Member
    Options
    Any update on this? Should we have any communication from the dev team about our feedback? Or no one cares really :( Imho CAT shards should be in weekly shipments at least.
  • IkamuzU
    18 posts Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

If they wanted players to inflate GP they would have brought up the rest of the Gear economy changes...

Once again they are widening the gap between low GP and high GP players.

• Options
    4 million GP is NOT fine, @Ultra

that requirement was not announced to the community and to further restrict CAT (only 2 refreshes) for the players is counter-intuitive to dangling the "carrot" (CAT shards) for more crystal spending.. It's very bad game design...
  • Wed_Santa
    1000 posts Member
    Options
    Well that was depressingly easy. No need for a 4m gp cap
  • el_mago
    753 posts Member
    Options
    tbe2we4r9ci3.png

i thought this wasn't supposed to happen? i got CAT shards and i've had her at 7* for a while.
  • Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    Options
    el_mago wrote: »
    tbe2we4r9ci3.png

i thought this wasn't supposed to happen? i got CAT shards and i've had her at 7* for a while.

How’d you get the droid shards lmao. And why would you post this? Take the SSC and laugh
  • Mohrg
    202 posts Member
    Options
    Wed_Santa wrote: »

Really? what teams are you using?
    GL Luke at Relic 7, with R7 GAS, R7 JKL, R7 Shaak and R5 Hoda got wiped against Gideon.
  • Options
    Mohrg wrote: »

GL Luke at Relic 7, with R7 GAS, R7 JKL, R7 Shaak and R5 Hoda got wiped against Gideon.

used GLOW, CAT, GAS, GK, and Shaak'Ti.. used that same squad for both tiers and got 2 stars on both.

real helpful for SSC...
  • Zumwan
    358 posts Member
    Options
    I cleared the CAT tier with SLKR with FO, but only SLKR was left standing. Found it kind of hard, is it possible without a GL?
  • Options
    JML, GAS, JKL, (R7) Hoda, (R5) JKR (R6) can 3 star auto both
    SLKR, KRU, Hux, Sith Trooper, FOST can also auto both albeit at 1 star
  • Options
    Hi guys,

I tried to win both matches with characters, which have all relic 5+, but I can not win it. May be my mods are too weak. Okay, I have only 5 and 6 star mods... Or do I have grinded the wrong teams?!? I play mostly f2p and have no GL and only one JKR team and an Emperor Palpatine team on relic level. But when CG was writing the requirements are R3+ I thouhgt I may have a chance with these teams, too.
    But NO, I have not. The RC quest takes a while until I loose, but the CAT match is impossible to win for me. I'm dead after 10 seconds. That really makes no fun!

And that is my point of criticism of this new event. It should not be so hard, because people who have the GP to join it AND the teams to win, usually already have RC and CAT from the original game mode. And for all other players who can join the new mode it should be possible to get the charts with ALL teams, which are at least R5.

What a stupid thing to introduce such a mode....

BR,
    Onkel_Tom_HDT
  • el_mago
    753 posts Member
    Options
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    el_mago wrote: »
    tbe2we4r9ci3.png

How’d you get the droid shards lmao. And why would you post this? Take the SSC and laugh

more of a PSA-type of situation for those of us who thought we were not going to get SSC or even be able to participate. And rather than start a new post, i though i might bury it here where i think there's little chance CG might read it, cause, you know.....
  • Options

Same only it was my GL Kenobi that got crushed by that Dark Trooper

Zumwan wrote: »
    I cleared the CAT tier with SLKR with FO, but only SLKR was left standing.
    Found it kind of hard, is it possible without a GL?

Ditto on the RC Tier.

Then I tried again w/ SLKR & used Malak & Wat in there instead of all FO.
    Managed to keep 3 left standing but it was still only 1* win.

• Wed_Santa
    1000 posts Member
    Options

JML jkr gas JKL GMY- no worries (for Gideon) SEE for Maul. First go 3 stars both
  • TargetEadu
    1605 posts Member
    Options
    SEE with SE and Vader got it for me, but only 2*.

Also, I would like to complain that that Gideon team has an invalid composition to activate Gideon’s Leader Ability, there’s no second Support. Yet active it is.
  • Zumwan
    358 posts Member
    Options
    I'd think the teams / comps match the respective iteration's final bosses.
  • Dwinkelm
    768 posts Member
    Options
    …. As long as they’re willing to play for the next 17 months, and don’t dare to miss a specific day each month.

Awesome.
  • Rius
    371 posts Member
    Options
    [/quote]

How’d you get the droid shards lmao. And why would you post this? Take the SSC and laugh[/quote]

more of a PSA-type of situation for those of us who thought we were not going to get SSC or even be able to participate. And rather than start a new post, i though i might bury it here where i think there's little chance CG might read it, cause, you know.....[/quote]

Shame they did not forget to apply the 4M requirement.

• Lumiya
    1518 posts Member
    Options
    What is the GP gate for, if it is so difficult you need a GL? Isn't the difficulty already gate enough?

People under 4M with a GL could beat it and those over without a GL can't.
    Sure, more available... /s
    Well colour me surprised.
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • Lumiya
    1518 posts Member
    Options
    Dwinkelm wrote: »
    …. As long as they’re willing to play for the next 17 months, and don’t dare to miss a specific day each month.

Awesome.

You forgot: ...and as long as they have at least 4M GP, otherwise nothing to see.
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • Hornist
    64 posts Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    This event is harder than doing the conquests were when they were released. xD

So idk who it's for. Certainly not people that couldn't clear those conquests.

Afraid of what the rest of the battles will look like.

Classic CG intentional horrible design.
  • Options
    Maybe after 4 years playing you can have CAT but i am playing sincer 14 months and unlocking JMK without Hyperdrivebundle
  • Options
    Doesn't matter cause it can't be beat anyway.
  • Magruffin
    806 posts Member
    Options
    BuddyGuy88 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter cause it can't be beat anyway.

False.